BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-14-2022, 09:10 PM   #1
Rjulrich61
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f80 M3

Upgrade from an f80?

For those of you that came from an F80 or F82, how has the experience been? is it worth it to upgrade from my current manual f80 to a manual g80?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:17 PM   #2
IcebergM4
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjulrich61 View Post
For those of you that came from an F80 or F82, how has the experience been? is it worth it to upgrade from my current manual f80 to a manual g80?
Thanks in advance!
I haven't received my G82 Comp yet (still stuck in QC hell), but I plan on keeping my manual F82 Comp alongside it. While I do believe the G8x is an upgrade to the F8x in regards to interior, performance and suspension, there's something very special about the F8x. It still has road presence after several years and I love looking back at it every time I park it.
Appreciate 4
zamboni1127.50
ATX_M3185.50
cobra2814112.00
Mar481099.50
      01-14-2022, 09:47 PM   #3
Remington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 SSG M8 Competition

I had a 2016 M4 MT and loved it, pretty basic car with M Performance exhaust and no competition package. Next, a 2018 M3 DCT competition. The M4 handled well, but the M3 was a bit squirrely, always felt it was at the edge.

My 2022 M4C is fantastic. Interior is a huge upgrade. Chassis is well sorted and the power reminds me of the e60 M5 I once owned.

I'm very happy with it.

Last edited by Remington; 01-15-2022 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4257.00
      01-14-2022, 10:11 PM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I've had F80 M3 Non-Competition and an M3 CS. "Patiently" awaiting my M4 Competition X-Drive which is sitting at the VPC just a drive away

For me, regardless of how the G82 compares, it was just time for an update and I wanted a coupe. I'm sure I'll enjoy the car, I like the styling (a complete 360 from a year ago), the updated interior, and I really wanted to try the RWD based X-Drive. The ZF transmission and added size and mass are not ideal, but from what I have heard, the car is so good, these aren't enough to consider the car a downgrade compared to my F80s. Besides, the M3 CS lease is soon up and they are offering a pretty good price on it.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:38 PM   #5
m.dreamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

I'm sort of re-posting this from another thread I responded to, but here's my take:

The G82 is a massive upgrade across every part of the driving experience. Two of the biggest gripes with my F82 was that the interior felt dated and less sophisticated, and the backend just never felt adequate enough to handle even my non-competition M4.

Now with AWD, my G82 is a rocket. The car feels a ton more planted with daily driving, and when I want to lay down power it just claws the road and pulls the earth closer to me with each millimeter of the accelerator.

The interior feels so much more like a luxury car that happens to have supercar performance as well as amazing technology designed to keep me alive. The all-digital instrument cluster is something I railed against 10 years ago, but once I saw it in other BMW models I couldn't look at my F82's analog cluster the same way.

Daily driving has actually earned a nod of approval from my wife, who constantly felt the F82 was too "jerky" with street driving, and that's even though I always drove in "comfort" mode with her. Strangely, even though I spec'd the carbon buckets seats, which I thought would provide even less comfort, she feels the car is actually smoother and more comfortable to be in. Part of me wonders whether that may be due to the CCB's I spec'd. Engineering Explained did a great video explaining the virtues of CCB's, and the many points he covers make me wonder whether all those merits help to make this new car feel more comfortable despite the leaner/firmer seats.

Whatever is making this more comfortable for my wife leaves me very pleased, because the carbon bucket seats are practically my favorite thing about the car and I was genuinely worried it would be a bad decision on the comfort side.

Exterior looks: it's obviously night and day. To me, this damn thing looks so much more aggressive. I loved it the moment it debuted. I was/is one of those who felt like the new grills were immensely good at increasing the aggressiveness and looks of the car. My F82 changed from looking "cool" to feeling like an older car that was sedated. And like many others here and in Instagram, I have heard precisely zero unfavorable comments on the looks from when I'm out and about. It turns so many heads from so many walks of life, and I can't count how many times I'm in a parking lot and someone wants to chat about the car.

Sound system: there are many on this forum who don't like the new system, but to me it is a big step up above the F82's "upgraded" sound system (that was an option on my F82 and I had it, whereas now they just give you the Harmon Kardon system by default). I swear, right after delivery when I tuned my equalizer and other sound settings, I re-listened to old songs because the new system allowed me to hear/feel things that weren't present before, even with our multi-speaker Sonos system at home.

Transmission: I lamented the choice to ditch DCT but in practice I don't miss it. This new ZF transmission is fast and smooth and doesn't leave me pining for DCT anymore. Maybe I was doing it wrong with my F82, but with the new ZF I find that it kicks down to the right gear so much better than the DCT. Gear selection is simply fast and accurate for what gear I need based on my sudden accelerator position, and this is coming from not using the most aggressive selection (I always use the 2nd level for the transmission).

Sound: say what you will about the exhaust and the piped-in sound into the cabin, but the driving experience is just massively fun with this new G82 in Sport Plus. Piping in sound through the speakers isn't new to the G8x platform, as I enjoyed the F82's sound in/out, but it's something that allows me to drive with immersive sound on acceleration and yet I'm not drawing the ire of all the cops within earshot. The actual sound from the tailpipe is an improvement as well. My usual driving buddy who owns a Nizmo Z says the F82 sounded like a fart can, whereas he puts this new platform on par with exotic cars. He's a sample size of one, but I'll take it.

Power delivery: yes, the F82 achieving max torque at 1850 rpms was fantastic. But with the G82, once you're passed 3K rpms, the rocket characteristics takeover. And with shorter gears (and eight of them to boot), once you're passed 3K in first gear, each subsequent shift leaves you in the right rpm range to continue the thrill of acceleration. The delivery itself feels closer to an NA car and yet still retains the turbo feel I've grown to love. I grew up with NA cars and thought they were the best. But putting your foot down and feeling a relatively constant level of acceleration through the rpm range always lacked something that I couldn't quite place. With twin turbos, as the rpms rise and the sound theater sings louder and louder, you get that boost feeling where each 1K gain in rpm just shoves you back further in your seat. 5K rpms is great, and then 6K is just louder and faster still. What's different between the F82 and G82 is the shorter gears, and that engineering decision imparts a more racy feel where changing gears at higher rpms doesn't drop the sound level as far as the F82 did. You still feel like you're in an aggressive rpm range that teases you to keep hammering the throttle. The F82 just didn't do it as well as this one.

I really loved my F82 but this new one is an extraordinary machine and an upgrade across every single part of the car. To each their own for sure, but I am one happy camper.
Flying051305.50
Remington307.50
Scorp!on1511.50
heavyD^23688.50
khanyam4801.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
      01-15-2022, 12:46 AM   #6
jlevy73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive

Loved my F82 but the G82 is an upgrade in every way except the sound system.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
WraithM5
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F80 M3, G80 M3C Xdrive

I loved my F80 and miss it every day, but the G80 is such an incredible car and a massive upgrade in almost every way. I will say the G80 is almost too fast, F80 I could toy with alot more I found where I have to be very careful now because it goes to triple digits with what feels like no effort.
22 G80 M3 XDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:22 PM   #8
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_travers View Post
I'm sort of re-posting this from another thread I responded to, but here's my take:

The G82 is a massive upgrade across every part of the driving experience. Two of the biggest gripes with my F82 was that the interior felt dated and less sophisticated, and the backend just never felt adequate enough to handle even my non-competition M4.

Now with AWD, my G82 is a rocket. The car feels a ton more planted with daily driving, and when I want to lay down power it just claws the road and pulls the earth closer to me with each millimeter of the accelerator.

The interior feels so much more like a luxury car that happens to have supercar performance as well as amazing technology designed to keep me alive. The all-digital instrument cluster is something I railed against 10 years ago, but once I saw it in other BMW models I couldn't look at my F82's analog cluster the same way.

Daily driving has actually earned a nod of approval from my wife, who constantly felt the F82 was too "jerky" with street driving, and that's even though I always drove in "comfort" mode with her. Strangely, even though I spec'd the carbon buckets seats, which I thought would provide even less comfort, she feels the car is actually smoother and more comfortable to be in. Part of me wonders whether that may be due to the CCB's I spec'd. Engineering Explained did a great video explaining the virtues of CCB's, and the many points he covers make me wonder whether all those merits help to make this new car feel more comfortable despite the leaner/firmer seats.

Whatever is making this more comfortable for my wife leaves me very pleased, because the carbon bucket seats are practically my favorite thing about the car and I was genuinely worried it would be a bad decision on the comfort side.

Exterior looks: it's obviously night and day. To me, this damn thing looks so much more aggressive. I loved it the moment it debuted. I was/is one of those who felt like the new grills were immensely good at increasing the aggressiveness and looks of the car. My F82 changed from looking "cool" to feeling like an older car that was sedated. And like many others here and in Instagram, I have heard precisely zero unfavorable comments on the looks from when I'm out and about. It turns so many heads from so many walks of life, and I can't count how many times I'm in a parking lot and someone wants to chat about the car.

Sound system: there are many on this forum who don't like the new system, but to me it is a big step up above the F82's "upgraded" sound system (that was an option on my F82 and I had it, whereas now they just give you the Harmon Kardon system by default). I swear, right after delivery when I tuned my equalizer and other sound settings, I re-listened to old songs because the new system allowed me to hear/feel things that weren't present before, even with our multi-speaker Sonos system at home.

Transmission: I lamented the choice to ditch DCT but in practice I don't miss it. This new ZF transmission is fast and smooth and doesn't leave me pining for DCT anymore. Maybe I was doing it wrong with my F82, but with the new ZF I find that it kicks down to the right gear so much better than the DCT. Gear selection is simply fast and accurate for what gear I need based on my sudden accelerator position, and this is coming from not using the most aggressive selection (I always use the 2nd level for the transmission).

Sound: say what you will about the exhaust and the piped-in sound into the cabin, but the driving experience is just massively fun with this new G82 in Sport Plus. Piping in sound through the speakers isn't new to the G8x platform, as I enjoyed the F82's sound in/out, but it's something that allows me to drive with immersive sound on acceleration and yet I'm not drawing the ire of all the cops within earshot. The actual sound from the tailpipe is an improvement as well. My usual driving buddy who owns a Nizmo Z says the F82 sounded like a fart can, whereas he puts this new platform on par with exotic cars. He's a sample size of one, but I'll take it.

Power delivery: yes, the F82 achieving max torque at 1850 rpms was fantastic. But with the G82, once you're passed 3K rpms, the rocket characteristics takeover. And with shorter gears (and eight of them to boot), once you're passed 3K in first gear, each subsequent shift leaves you in the right rpm range to continue the thrill of acceleration. The delivery itself feels closer to an NA car and yet still retains the turbo feel I've grown to love. I grew up with NA cars and thought they were the best. But putting your foot down and feeling a relatively constant level of acceleration through the rpm range always lacked something that I couldn't quite place. With twin turbos, as the rpms rise and the sound theater sings louder and louder, you get that boost feeling where each 1K gain in rpm just shoves you back further in your seat. 5K rpms is great, and then 6K is just louder and faster still. What's different between the F82 and G82 is the shorter gears, and that engineering decision imparts a more racy feel where changing gears at higher rpms doesn't drop the sound level as far as the F82 did. You still feel like you're in an aggressive rpm range that teases you to keep hammering the throttle. The F82 just didn't do it as well as this one.

I really loved my F82 but this new one is an extraordinary machine and an upgrade across every single part of the car. To each their own for sure, but I am one happy camper.
Very similar reviews to my experience, having this week gone from my F82 Comp to a G82 Comp xDrive - I'll miss my F82 but the G82 is a whole new car, better in pretty much every way
Appreciate 2
m.dreamin1608.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      01-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #9
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

Have not been able to drive a G8X (still waiting on mine) but from what I have seen, the power delivery and the way the G8X puts down the power vs the F8X cars seems far better to me.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 11:04 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_travers View Post

Auto mode is not the DCT's strong point. I would never drive a DCT in auto mode. If you're driving in auto mode I'm sure the ZF is an upgrade.
Appreciate 1
m.dreamin1608.00
      01-15-2022, 11:16 PM   #11
ram9cc
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjulrich61 View Post
Thanks in advance!
I have a g80 base

it's amazing - super plush ride overall - and still has that split personality feeling but it's less Hyde/Jeckle - more refined than the f80 the seats are delicious (stock seats) compared to the kinda harsh competition seats. The power boost is nice - the power is really well sorted. Ride is better. More headroom is nice and larger cabin is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:13 AM   #12
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Simply, yes.

G80 is next level.
      01-16-2022, 03:39 PM   #13
m.dreamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Auto mode is not the DCT's strong point. I would never drive a DCT in auto mode. If you're driving in auto mode I'm sure the ZF is an upgrade.
Interesting, I never knew that about DCTs in auto mode. I'm sort of 50/50 with respect to driving in auto vs manual mode. One thing that isn't so great with the new ZF is the 3rd level transmission mode. It kicks hard into gear like it's trying to emulate DCT with the throttle down.
      01-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #14
GleanStrateShady
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT & F80 M3 Velocity

I own the 18 F80 DCT and love it and the G80 in manual. For me, both are totally different vehicles to drive. The G80 is more livable to operate daily and comfortable to go fast.

I agree with another post earlier. The sound system in the F80 seems to be crisper and quality than the G80. If you can keep both, I’d keep the F80 in manual and pick up the G80C w/drive. As for me, I love driving the manual G80 and can move it faster around the Nurburgring quicker/more manageable than the F80.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #15
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

No regrets at all. I was not initially sold on the G80 upon first release. But after they started arriving at my local dealer I found myself stopping almost daily to check them out. I was unable to road test one. I took a chance and ordered a Dravit grey 6 speed with all the carbon fiber goodies. I put my 3600 mile 2018 F80 comp up for sale hoping to time it perfectly so I would not have both cars at the same time. Only one garage at the time. The F80 sold within days for what I paid for the car 3 years earlier. My G80 got delayed several times. But the G80 has far surpassed all expectations. As wild and aggressive as the front end is the biggest upgrade for me was on the interior. It was as if BMW was holding on too long before going with the digital cluster. It was a nice upgrade. The carbon buckets are possibly the hottest OE seats out there. Power difference although on paper is not much is definitely noticable. BMW sandbagging the numbers it appears.
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4257.00
      01-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #16
theroadrunner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp

Loved my F80 but the G80 is a huge upgrade in every way- power, handling, ride, interior, tech. Amazing machine.
Appreciate 2
ROBERT11831569.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      01-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #17
Rjulrich61
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f80 M3

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. My f80 is on a custom paul tune with quite a few mods dome I clouding an equal length exhaust. I'd definitely tune a g80 if I got one down the road if/when it's easier to do so.

Any of you come from a tuned f80?

If I did get one, I would sell the f80 and get a manual g80
Appreciate 0