BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-12-2022, 04:12 PM   #199
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

My opinion after 2.5 months with the carbon fiber seats and the car as a daily driver is that they are the most awesome seats I ever had (and I am coming from an F90 M5). I can't even imagine ever getting a car again that doesn't have similar seats. No issues getting in and out but I am not delivering pizza with the car.

I am around 5.9" - 175 pounds and love also how low they can go. In my 40s but no knee/back etc. issues. It definitely feels I maintain a better posture too while driving. They are amazing, much more comfortable for me in comparison to the M5, and totally make the interior too.

And yes, there is a car seat behind the passenger one. No issues so far and they have definitely been kicked. Sometimes our son likes to take his shoes off and put his feet in the openings, so those serve multiple purposes
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
Sedan_Clan24979.00
chicagofan0019072.50
aimetti163.50
RockinPA4848.00
Erik8516.50
jabrax10.50
JustChris17483.00
      01-13-2022, 08:55 AM   #200
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp xDrive

I'm seeing a lot of people saying they hate the carbon seats because they sat in them one time and it was annoying to get in and out of... but practice makes perfect. You will get the technique down. It will get easier. But if that's the only complaint, then I'm glad I got them. Everyone else says they are comfortable enough for long trips even, that's all I care about. They look to good and really help on those track days to pass up.
      01-15-2022, 08:54 PM   #201
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShadows View Post
people say they hate the carbon seats because they sat in them one time and it was annoying to get in and out of... but practice makes perfect. You will get the technique down. It will get easier.
What is your technique for getting in and out of the carbon bucket seats?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #202
xShadows
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
What is your technique for getting in and out of the carbon bucket seats?
Don't have one yet. Car doesn't get here until March. But I'm sure I'll figure something out, they were pretty comfortable when I sat in them and tested them out.
      01-30-2022, 12:16 PM   #203
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, G87 M2 coming

I posted some comments about the M Sport Seats in my new M3 Base Manual, in my "Initial Thoughts" thread. I figured I would share them here as well.

I really love the M3, a lot! Just got it in late December. I was initially a bit disappointed with the clutch feel and the difficult 1-2 shift, but after the BMS Clutch Stop and CDV Delete mods, and getting used to it, that concern is off the table.

The main area of regret/concern I have is the M Sport Seats. I am very surprised that I am not loving them. They are very comfortable for cruising, and offer a good balance between support and comfort in cruising mode.

But for spirited driving on Country Roads, I don't love them. I get tossed around quite a bit, and don't find them to hold me in well enough, not nearly as well as the 18-Way Sport Seats in my 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (which ironically the Porsche GT purists call "Sofas" - but they are incredibly supportive with the Bolsters adjusted properly).

With the M Sport Seats it is weird, with the Bolsters all the way in, they feel fairly snug. Not touching my sides but close. (For reference, I am fairly thin, 5'9", athletic/thin with broad shoulders/lats.) But I think the issue is more so that the shape is weird, the center of the flat back of the seat sticks out, and then there are two vertical recessed channels between the seat back center and the bolsters. So in aggressive driving you sort of collapse into those recessed channels, and then hit the side bolsters. And the side bolsters have some give (perhaps too much) on the surface, and then are harder below that. All those things combined make for a seat that is super comfortable for cruising (GREAT Lumbar support!) but not really optimized for spirited hooligan driving in M Traction Control mode on deserted country roads. It is interesting to see the Carbon Buckets showing up on more M Cars, first the M5 CS, and then just this week the 2023 M8. No doubt they will be an option on the next-gen M2s. Good on BMW for coming out with those seats!

I wish I had ordered the Carbon Buckets.

My second spec regret was getting Black for the exterior finish. I am not a Black car guy, but at the time I was thinking it would more so hide the polarizing styling. Now I absolutely LOVE the looks of the car, and I am not digging the Black in the Chicago winters.

So between those two issues, I have decided to order another one with Carbon Buckets, in a different finish.

Funny to read here on this thread reports of people selling their cars regretting ordering the Carbon Buckets, and here I am going the other direction.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 06:33 PM   #204
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

[Cross-posted from the other thread in case anyone's monitoring one versus the other...]

My dealer just received one of the handful of Kith M4's in gorgeous Frozen Black Metallic, and were housing it in a special one-car glass garage with a $50k (!) market adjustment (total $172k). I've been trying for a while to find a G8X with the CF buckets to test out, so finally the opportunity came up.

I obviously couldn't drive it anywhere, but I did spend a few minutes in the throne, and tested the ingress/egress. Quick reactions:

- Getting in and out really was not a big deal, given everything I've read. (I'm medium build, 6', 190.) Yes, it was a little more effort than a standard seat, but certainly not difficult or onerous.

- They look incredible. My wife likened them to a toddler's carseat (and not in a good way), but I loved them.

- Once seated, you are locked in. No way you're sliding around.

- I found them comfortable overall, but the lower torso side bolsters felt the most constraining. The bottom (leg) bolsters exerted far less pressure against my body, and same for the upper torso (shoulder) bolsters. I didn't feel the center CF hump between the legs at all. Obviously, YMMV.

Update In a subsequent test drive with another M4 with the carbon buckets, I found that adjusting the bolster to a wider position allowed me to get a lot more comfortable, so this effectively eliminates the comfort concerns I had.

Unfortunately, I still haven't decided 100% whether or not I'll order them. The standard seats are definitely more comfortable/accommodating for me, but these are so special to behold and sit in, I am very tempted to get them for the drama alone.

Last edited by NightWriter; 03-20-2022 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24979.00
      02-03-2022, 07:08 PM   #205
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Really want to get these and as others have said a 20-35 year old version of myself would (except I would hate paying $$$ for them). Now the money doesn't bother me, its my back issues (42 but desk job for last 15 years) and my wife would HATE them.

BUT THEY LOOK SO GOOD,

I did like the mock up of the base seat bottom and carbon seat upper, would pay $3,000 for those!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #206
Greer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
my wife would HATE them.
My wife would hate them also. How does a woman wearing a skirt get out of these seats gracefully?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 01:38 PM   #207
GGG333
m
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Quote:
my wife would HATE them.
My wife would hate them also. How does a woman wearing a skirt get out of these seats gracefully?
By you being a gentlemen , walking to the passenger door , opening the door and helping your woman out of the car , gracefully.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2022, 02:20 PM   #208
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Pete View Post
I posted some comments about the M Sport Seats in my new M3 Base Manual, in my "Initial Thoughts" thread. I figured I would share them here as well.

I really love the M3, a lot! Just got it in late December. I was initially a bit disappointed with the clutch feel and the difficult 1-2 shift, but after the BMS Clutch Stop and CDV Delete mods, and getting used to it, that concern is off the table.

The main area of regret/concern I have is the M Sport Seats. I am very surprised that I am not loving them. They are very comfortable for cruising, and offer a good balance between support and comfort in cruising mode.

But for spirited driving on Country Roads, I don't love them. I get tossed around quite a bit, and don't find them to hold me in well enough, not nearly as well as the 18-Way Sport Seats in my 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (which ironically the Porsche GT purists call "Sofas" - but they are incredibly supportive with the Bolsters adjusted properly).

With the M Sport Seats it is weird, with the Bolsters all the way in, they feel fairly snug. Not touching my sides but close. (For reference, I am fairly thin, 5'9", athletic/thin with broad shoulders/lats.) But I think the issue is more so that the shape is weird, the center of the flat back of the seat sticks out, and then there are two vertical recessed channels between the seat back center and the bolsters. So in aggressive driving you sort of collapse into those recessed channels, and then hit the side bolsters. And the side bolsters have some give (perhaps too much) on the surface, and then are harder below that. All those things combined make for a seat that is super comfortable for cruising (GREAT Lumbar support!) but not really optimized for spirited hooligan driving in M Traction Control mode on deserted country roads. It is interesting to see the Carbon Buckets showing up on more M Cars, first the M5 CS, and then just this week the 2023 M8. No doubt they will be an option on the next-gen M2s. Good on BMW for coming out with those seats!

I wish I had ordered the Carbon Buckets.

My second spec regret was getting Black for the exterior finish. I am not a Black car guy, but at the time I was thinking it would more so hide the polarizing styling. Now I absolutely LOVE the looks of the car, and I am not digging the Black in the Chicago winters.

So between those two issues, I have decided to order another one with Carbon Buckets, in a different finish.

Funny to read here on this thread reports of people selling their cars regretting ordering the Carbon Buckets, and here I am going the other direction.
I think you hit the nail on the head hear. My 718 GT4 also has 18 ways and that was because I knew the car would see more street time than track...and on top of that I dont know of a better sport seat without going to a bucket seat.
My M3 though, has the buckets, because they add level of cache to the car and are incredibly comfortable for what they are. More comfortable than the Porsche or AMG buckets I had and those are both decently comfortable.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24979.00
      02-06-2022, 11:15 PM   #209
Greer
Colonel
Rep

So I attended BMW M School at Thermal, CA today and spent a lot of seat time in the carbon bucket seats, and yes as many have stated they are very comfortable. The high bolsters did not bother me, but the plastic piece in the crotch area was a real nuisance.
Attached Images

2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5

Last edited by Greer; 02-07-2022 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:42 PM   #210
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
So I attended BMW M School at Thermal, CA today and spent a lot of seat time in the carbon bucket seats and yes, as many have stated here they are very comfortable. The high bolsters did not bother me, but the plastic piece in the crotch area was a real nuisance.
Which class did you do? I would like to attend as well. How was it?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 01:12 AM   #211
Greer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
Which class did you do? I would like to attend as well. How was it?
I finished the One Day M School and it was great. You drive M2, M3, M4 and M5's. There's the skidpad and many driver's modules and a timed autocross. If you elected to get the M Driver's Package with your M Car it comes with it. This is a must-do for any car enthusiast.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      02-07-2022, 01:22 AM   #212
KithM4isBae
Private
Rep
Drives: Kith M4, V60 polestar, SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
[Cross-posted from the other thread in case anyone's monitoring one versus the other...]

My dealer just received one of the handful of Kith M4's in gorgeous Frozen Black Metallic, and were housing it in a special one-car glass garage with a $50k (!) market adjustment (total $172k). I've been trying for a while to find a G8X with the CF buckets to test out, so finally the opportunity came up.

I obviously couldn't drive it anywhere, but I did spend a few minutes in the throne, and tested the ingress/egress. Quick reactions:

- Getting in and out really was not a big deal, given everything I've read. (I'm medium build, 6', 190.) Yes, it was a little more effort than a standard seat, but certainly not difficult or onerous.

- They look incredible. My wife likened them to a toddler's carseat (and not in a good way), but I loved them.

- Once seated, you are locked in. No way you're sliding around.

- I found them comfortable overall, but the lower torso side bolsters felt the most constraining. The bottom (leg) bolsters exerted far less pressure against my body, and same for the upper torso (shoulder) bolsters. I didn't feel the center CF hump between the legs at all. Obviously, YMMV.

Unfortunately, I still haven't decided 100% whether or not I'll order them. The standard seats are definitely more comfortable/accommodating for me, but these are so special to behold and sit in, I am very tempted to get them for the drama alone.

I have a Kith. Definitely did not pay 50 over LOL. I cancelled my M3 order for it which I did not spec w/ the buckets. God that would've been a huge mistake. I have a new Navigator w/ the 30,000 way multicontour seats, a range rover, a Polestar Volvo V60, a defender (now sold) and just got out of an S5 last year that had the sport seats that came on the R8. The carbon buckets for me are way more comfortable than all these cars, even the Navigator. BTW I'm 5'9" 220 pounds lol.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24979.00
      02-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #213
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KithM4isBae View Post
I have a Kith. Definitely did not pay 50 over LOL. I cancelled my M3 order for it which I did not spec w/ the buckets. God that would've been a huge mistake. I have a new Navigator w/ the 30,000 way multicontour seats, a range rover, a Polestar Volvo V60, a defender (now sold) and just got out of an S5 last year that had the sport seats that came on the R8. The carbon buckets for me are way more comfortable than all these cars, even the Navigator. BTW I'm 5'9" 220 pounds lol.
Wow... I haven't sat in the Navigator but Volvo seats are among the best in the business.
      02-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #214
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
So I attended BMW M School at Thermal, CA today and spent a lot of seat time in the carbon bucket seats, and yes as many have stated they are very comfortable. The high bolsters did not bother me, but the carbon fiber piece in the crotch area was a real nuisance.
FTFY!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 09:02 AM   #215
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

I would not get the carbon seats if it was a weekend car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 09:11 AM   #216
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0J0 View Post
Why not?!? A dedicated weekend car is even more reason to get the carbon fiber buckets.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 08:24 PM   #217
Greer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0J0 View Post
Why not?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 11:08 AM   #218
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AMG c63s

Quote:
Quote:
my wife would HATE them.
Haha right! I was like no way is this date car, they already get tossed aroubd with the torque
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 11:36 AM   #219
Lexura
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Jahre Edition

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Jahre  [9.50]
2022 BMW X5M   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Quote:
Quote:
my wife would HATE them.
Haha right! I was like no way is this date car, they already get tossed aroubd with the torque
I traded in my Dravit Gray M4 RWD with Carbon buckets. My wife said she will never ride in it again because of difficult getting in and out, and my thigh was getting a beating from the high bolsters.
I am now enjoying my AWD AW G82 with M sports seats whenever and wherever I feel like driving it. The wife also approves.
      02-16-2022, 01:00 PM   #220
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Someone posted a photo of the condition of the seat base at "12000 km" on the G80 M3 | M4 owners group on FB. Could be a one off but something to watch for.

The closest equivalent thing that used to happen was loose folds in the merino leather on SUVs but that was just poor finish from the factory.
Attached Images