BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-02-2022, 08:42 PM   #67
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
I've got about 4300 miles on mine (AWD M3) as well and your videos don't raise any red flags for me. I've noticed that the shifts get more aggressive / quicker the deeper you get in the pedal in D3/S3. That said, I'll have to pay special attention the next time to see if I notice the same behavior as in you video.

Also, I see quite a few folks talking about the delay at drive off, but I wonder if they've accidentally turned on auto hill assist. It happened to me and I thought something was wrong with the car. I only mention it because it looks like yours "on" based on the "Auto H" at the top right of your gauge cluster.

What's also strange to me is that you have two widgets on your M-Mode gauge cluster. For some reason as soon as I switch to M-Mode I lose my right widget....I've found the correct settings in the menus to add one, but I don't have the option for the righthand side. I thought it was some weird oversight, but seeing yours makes me think a)I'm an idiot and am missing something simple of b) I actually have a problem.
You can adjust the right widget with the BC button. The left is configured through the display set up on the iDrive.
Appreciate 2
Nifty73.50
      01-03-2022, 06:03 AM   #68
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I need to make one driving the loaner I had the other day for comparison because it should show things. I know the M5 Comp I drove was quicker to shift. I'm going to call my service advisor tomorrow and see what he says

You mean D3? in S3 it doesn't shift automatically.
Yes…was drinking last night and the d and the s are too close together.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2022, 08:52 AM   #69
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Yes…was drinking last night and the d and the s are too close together.
That’s what she said.
Appreciate 4
yousefnjr6115.00
LimeRock672.00
      01-03-2022, 02:02 PM   #70
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I'm a bit busy today but I'll reply to everyone when I get a chance. Service appt schedule for Friday
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 05:06 PM   #71
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:
Maybe yours doesn't have the delay mine does while shifting. In auto mode you don't notice but in sequentially mode (S3) or using the paddles it's very apparent
I use the paddles 90% of the time when i have my settings in m2 (which is pretty much my "go time" mode).

It shifts very very fast. Almost DCT like, at least on the upshifts. The response time from the paddle to what the trans does is very very fast.

I don't remember much of how it reacts in auto mode (D3). I'm going for a long drive tomorrow so i'll check it out tomorrow.
Mine has a delay where the revs climb then it shifts after hitting the paddle that's what I'd check for.
Did you reset the transmission adaptation?

AndroidRobot
I did but I'm not sure if it worked, no difference so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
I found that the F82 was useless if you went on the gas quick at lights as the auto hold function would suddenly let go and the power just surged and lit the tyres up. My workaround if I wanted a quick getaway, I would take my foot off the brake prior to green light and hold the car with the handbrake, this way when i applied the throttle the auto hold had disengaged already and it was a much more linear transition. I guess that's not possible in the Gxx no handbrake? (still don't have my car yet)
I have AWD so that's not the issue it puts power down fine. The shifts are the problem with slight hesitation that you can notice.
ask the dealer to do a hard reset on the tranny when you take it in and and ensure the car has all the latest "software" updates for the modules.

Did you do?

Foot off brake
- Press start to turn on car (but not start)
- Press accelerator for about 45 seconds...all the to the floor
- Press start to turn off car
- Release accelerator
- Waited 3 minutes, then started normally and drove off

additionally this will sound stupid...but are you flat to the floor while accelerating down past the kick-down point?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #72
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did reset it this morning Per what was stated but I have no idea if it did anything since there's no confirmation. Here's a video showing the slow shifts I just took.

It's still processing on YouTube but here it is. I can take a better one later but you can see a visible delay between me hitting the paddle and the revs dropping.

Let me know if you see what I do

Hmmmm. Damn now you're making me wonder.

I honestly don't see that much of a delay, i mean we're talking milliseconds possibly. I'm going make my own video. But probably not today. The car is done for today. So maybe next weekend.
It's still more than what I experience in the X3M40i. I'll take a better video with the wide angle camera do you can see it better in a bit. The car should shift faster though
If the car shifts have too much delay, this would be apparent in 0-60 times right? Consider timing with timing gear. If it times well, you can chalk it a bit to imagination?

It's difficult to make out your shifts vs revs vs speed changing in parallel in that video with the shaking. And we're taking about judging milliseconds here. I think it's one of those things you feel as a driver rather than recreate in your imagination from a video too.

How many miles are you at now? Approx at how many miles did you first notice the issue?
Here's a better video

Edit: engine is in sport+ for this as well as the first video.

skip to 12:30... again without a stopwatch idk...

best bet is to drive another M3/M4 and ensure it also is running all the latest updates.

It's probably something bmw will fix with the CS or CSL versions and as long as it's the same ZF box, you probably can edit the tranny code like the last-gen for quicker speeds/snap up to a certain point.
Appreciate 2
wbM37.50
      01-03-2022, 10:30 PM   #73
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
You can adjust the right widget with the BC button. The left is configured through the display set up on the iDrive.
I'm both happy and embarrassed that I didn't realize this...

As an added bonus I also saw the auto high beam assist for the first time...

2022 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 11:27 PM   #74
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
I'm both happy and embarrassed that I didn't realize this...

As an added bonus I also saw the auto high beam assist for the first time...
Don't be. I was in the same situation as you. It was driving me crazy. That's what this forum is for.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:36 PM   #75
Cinco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3Cx

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe yours doesn't have the delay mine does while shifting. In auto mode you don't notice but in sequentially mode (S3) or using the paddles it's very apparent
I use the paddles 90% of the time when i have my settings in m2 (which is pretty much my "go time" mode).

It shifts very very fast. Almost DCT like, at least on the upshifts. The response time from the paddle to what the trans does is very very fast.

I don't remember much of how it reacts in auto mode (D3). I'm going for a long drive tomorrow so i'll check it out tomorrow.
Mine has a delay where the revs climb then it shifts after hitting the paddle that's what I'd check for.
I do have this a little. i have to anticipate and press the shift button a little sooner than i want for it to change.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #76
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quick update for everyone. I've been dealing with some personal stuff and busy at work lately but I'm still here.

I went to BMW of North Houston, they didn't even look at the car. I told them the issues and very clearly was informed "the car is fine there is no issue". I requested for them to at least look at it which they didn't care to since there were no obvious faults being displayed in iDrive. I eventually got them request an engineer from BMW to come out and drive the car with me. This should happen next week but I'm not holding my breath. I also opened a case with BMW NA on my car.

I feel like this is going to turn into a bigger issue than needed but the cars shifting is still the same if not a hair worse than before now. I'm not sure why they are actively trying to not do anything, maybe there's something going on we aren't privy to?

If everyone recalls there was a similar issue with the M550i shifting slower. Car and Driver called out BMW and they eventually issued an update that fixed the shifting speed of the ZF8 for that model. This issue is similar but not the same of course. I think BMW is intentionally sand bagging the performance for one reason or another, alternatively mine could simply have issues others do not. I am very skeptical of BMW's handling of things based on their behavior with the M550i so I'll let everyone know how things progress.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #77
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Quick update for everyone. I've been dealing with some personal stuff and busy at work lately but I'm still here.

I went to BMW of North Houston, they didn't even look at the car. I told them the issues and very clearly was informed "the car is fine there is no issue". I requested for them to at least look at it which they didn't care to since there were no obvious faults being displayed in iDrive. I eventually got them request an engineer from BMW to come out and drive the car with me. This should happen next week but I'm not holding my breath. I also opened a case with BMW NA on my car.

I feel like this is going to turn into a bigger issue than needed but the cars shifting is still the same if not a hair worse than before now. I'm not sure why they are actively trying to not do anything, maybe there's something going on we aren't privy to?

If everyone recalls there was a similar issue with the M550i shifting slower. Car and Driver called out BMW and they eventually issued an update that fixed the shifting speed of the ZF8 for that model. This issue is similar but not the same of course. I think BMW is intentionally sand bagging the performance for one reason or another, alternatively mine could simply have issues others do not. I am very skeptical of BMW's handling of things based on their behavior with the M550i so I'll let everyone know how things progress.

I was watching your videos trying to figure out what you were talking about. If I remember correctly, my '21 RWD g80 behaved the same way. I didnt think anything of it.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      01-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #78
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

The reason they don't want to do anything is because they're a business. Doing nothing is cheaper and easier than doing something. If they do something, anything could happen, the car could get damaged while it's there being diagnosed. If you go away that's perfect for them.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      01-14-2022, 02:00 PM   #79
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C xDrive

Been reading this thread and the transmission issue seems odd to me. I have a G80 xdrive and if anything I've felt the shifts were very quick but without any drama (missing that from the DCT). Maybe this is an issue with your car specifically and not BMW sandbagging performance?
      01-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #80
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix924 View Post
Been reading this thread and the transmission issue seems odd to me. I have a G80 xdrive and if anything I've felt the shifts were very quick but without any drama (missing that from the DCT). Maybe this is an issue with your car specifically and not BMW sandbagging performance?
It's possible which is what I'm trying to find out. I always try to be transparent with things and share them in case someone else encounters the same issue. I'll keep everyone in the look once I meet with the TSE from BMW but I am not very optimistic based on previous experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
Quote:

I was watching your videos trying to figure out what you were talking about. If I remember correctly, my '21 RWD g80 behaved the same way. I didnt think anything of it.
The car shouldn't climb a few hundred RPM. Ethernet the paddle engagement and shifting. The M Performance models don't as noted which is my concern. It could be just my car but I know they can update the software and remove the delay should they choose to since it's not normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

The reason they don't want to do anything is because they're a business. Doing nothing is cheaper and easier than doing something. If they do something, anything could happen, the car could get damaged while it's there being diagnosed. If you go away that's perfect for them.
Agreed which is sad but they're not in business to help you, rather money is always king so to speak.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      01-14-2022, 03:43 PM   #81
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
Same with mine. But then again i don't have as much experience with M cars so i can't compare. But with the high performance FCA cars with the same trans, it "looks" about the same as the video by OP. I'll have to wait until i finish break in, then use my own camera and record what i have for comparison. Would like to know if mine is normal or maybe it's a fault i don't know because it seems to be working perfectly fine for me. Shifts are insanely quick for a torque converter trans.

Quote:
Agreed which is sad but they're not in business to help you, rather money is always king so to speak.

Honestly i would've stated something a bit more severe so they have no choice but to look at the car. I would go back? Or maybe go to another dealer and tell them something a bit different that way they can open a case, maybe have a technician ride with you while you drive of course, then you can perform the same thing you did in your video and go, "oh btw, does this seem normal to you as well?"

Then you can show him the WOT shifts. But i think if you're explaining it to him, or even showing your youtube video, they would most likely not care enough to stop whatever work order they have to attend to your car. Not saying it's right, but i totally understand why they said what they said.

SO i would play the same game back. Lie a bit about your car, explaining a situation far worse than it is, so you can get them in your car for a test drive and you can show them that part (the real part).

Basically you have to lie to them lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 06:03 AM   #82
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Here's a better video

watching it at 0.25x speed the delay between the car registering the paddle inputs seems very, very negligible but there seems to be a long delay (in slow motion but still much much longer than the time to register the input and update the gear on the display) between when the gear indicator has updated to the next gear and the revs actually drop.

Not sure if that means anything and is just standard ZF8 shift times that look exaggerated in slow mo.

EDIT: once you notice what I said above, and re-watch in normal speed you can visibly see the gear indicator change to the next gear and then there's about a second before the revs drop. It does look a bit slow (in this context).
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2022, 07:36 AM   #83
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3anLantern View Post
Quote:
Here's a better video

watching it at 0.25x speed the delay between the car registering the paddle inputs seems very, very negligible but there seems to be a long delay (in slow motion but still much much longer than the time to register the input and update the gear on the display) between when the gear indicator has updated to the next gear and the revs actually drop.

Not sure if that means anything and is just standard ZF8 shift times that look exaggerated in slow mo.

EDIT: once you notice what I said above, and re-watch in normal speed you can visibly see the gear indicator change to the next gear and then there's about a second before the revs drop. It does look a bit slow (in this context).
I don't know if I posted the same thing on the thread but your observation is correct. On my car, the actual gear shift finishes before the animation of the rev counter drops. I think it is a rev counter measurement and reporting delay, vs an actual delay. Something like how the speed updates only 5 times a second on M cars and twice a second for non-M cars.
      01-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #84
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "kjx;28498199"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "M3anLantern;28498068"

Quote:
Originally Posted by "AndroidRobot;28421191"
Here's a better video

https://youtu.be/d1Q2J7LYnnI

I don't know if I posted the same thing on the thread but your observation is correct. On my car, the actual gear shift finishes before the animation of the rev counter drops. I think it is a rev counter measurement and reporting delay, vs an actual delay. Something like how the speed updates only 5 times a second on M cars and twice a second for non-M cars.
The gear change itself with the rev drop is still not when you think it is. I can't hear the revs drip when I see it on the gauge cluster. I drove an X3 30i S-Drive loaner when I dropped the car with after meeting the BMW engineer 'Jim'. It shifted faster via the paddles than my M3 and that's a base model. The engineer acknowledged what I was talking about after a test drive but told me it's "normal". When I asked why non-M cars shift faster he had no answer. I told him the shifting speed via paddles can be quicker but it isn't for some reason. He eventually said something along the lines of agreeing. Ultimately they wouldn't do anything because there are no faults which is non-semse because this really bothers me. I love my car but this issue alone (not to mentioned the random KAFAS related ones they won't address) makes me want to sell the car. I have a Cayman GTS on order but it's about a year out sadly.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:35 PM   #85
M3anLantern
(Incoming) G80 M3Cx
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Here's a better video

The gear change itself with the rev drop is still not when you think it is. I can't hear the revs drip when I see it on the gauge cluster. I drove an X3 30i S-Drive loaner when I dropped the car with after meeting the BMW engineer 'Jim'. It shifted faster via the paddles than my M3 and that's a base model. The engineer acknowledged what I was talking about after a test drive but told me it's "normal". When I asked why non-M cars shift faster he had no answer. I told him the shifting speed via paddles can be quicker but it isn't for some reason. He eventually said something along the lines of agreeing. Ultimately they wouldn't do anything because there are no faults which is non-semse because this really bothers me. I love my car but this issue alone (not to mentioned the random KAFAS related ones they won't address) makes me want to sell the car. I have a Cayman GTS on order but it's about a year out sadly.

That's kinda crap but as you say, as long as no "faults" are present they're always going to wash their hands of any problem like this. I complained about a similar thing on my recent RS6 and they acknowledged the issue but said that's just how they are.

At least the market is such you'll get most of your money back probably when you get the Cayman (if all things stay as they are)!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:07 PM   #86
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3anLantern View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Here's a better video

That's kinda crap but as you say, as long as no "faults" are present they're always going to wash their hands of any problem like this. I complained about a similar thing on my recent RS6 and they acknowledged the issue but said that's just how they are.

At least the market is such you'll get most of your money back probably when you get the Cayman (if all things stay as they are)!
That's true but some dealers lowballed me already offering $86-90K. My car has just over 5K miles and the sticker was $100K. In this market it will easily sell for above $100K, at least where I live
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2022, 08:07 PM   #87
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Going to check out a 718 GTS tomorrow, if all goes well I'll likely say goodbye to my M3… only time will tell at this point. I simply want a car that is truly fun to drive again and I haven't felt that well with this one like how my M2 was
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:37 PM   #88
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I test drove a used xdrive m4 today. I felt the transmission was slower than my F gen m2 but about the same responsiveness as my e90 m3. I don't know if that helps anyone with what "normal" is for the g8x m.
Appreciate 0