home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums CANADA

12-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #1
Mkmkmk_86
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82

Brand new M4 Paint defect story

Bought my 2022 M4 xDrive from Brian Jessel BMW on Nov 4.

Ordered in June, because they have a 2022 M4 xDrive that is on the production line already. After multiple delays, the car finally came in front me.

Sent the car to wrapping shop for PPF immediately after came out from the dealership, then wrapping shop found a dust point on the driver side fender. I'm really upset to see this on a car with over $110k price tag, there wasn't any paint defect on my $40k Toyota!

Contacted dealer and they said will do a warranty repaint for me, dropped my car to dealer this Monday, and yesterday they told me it is ready for pick up.

Was really excited to see my car in perfect shape, no color difference, so I just drove the car home. Called the wrapper get ready to finish the last panel. At night, my wife took a good looking on the car and found out the hood gap on the right fender is wider than the left side! They think this is good enough for a M4 that has less than 800km on the dash?!

Contact them again, the service advisor said the body shop refused my adjustment inquiry, and CLAIMED they didn't take off the fender. HOWEVER! I used myBMW app to took surrounding view pictures every day! And all the pictures show they did removed the fender for repaint!

Very disappointed with BJ BMW because I paid $2-3k for PDI and they couldn't notice this before delivery, and the body shop, based on my experiences with BJ BMW and the myBMW GPS location history, No 1 Collision is the body shop that done the body work on my car, AVOID them if possible! They did a great paint job, but nothing can save a dishonest business!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
kurosagi1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Darn, sorry to hear that. The gap would drive me crazy... I think you might be able to adjust the hood a bit so it is centered but the dealership should take accountability for this... PDI was paid for a reason.

BTW, the matte ppf on white looks great!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 09:40 PM   #3
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

:

Who did the PPF? Did you arrange it, or did BJBMW?

My M3Cx came in this week and the dealership is handling arrangements for PPF+ceramic over the Santorini.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 11:23 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i dont see why the fender would have to be removed. Nobody removes a fender to refinish it. Bumper, hood, yes.

My concern and question is why repaint the entire fender for a dirt nib? All they had to do was sand it down and polish it.

OE paints aren't perfect, there are more defects than people think.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 01:25 AM   #5
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I cant believe that the car would have come like this from the factory. Have you seen the video of the factory, where they go over the car in bright lighting and fix everything? It's almost like this was damaged, in transit, and was repaired. Id believe that before I believed it came from the factory like that.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 02:30 AM   #6
Mkmkmk_86
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I cant believe that the car would have come like this from the factory. Have you seen the video of the factory, where they go over the car in bright lighting and fix everything? It's almost like this was damaged, in transit, and was repaired. Id believe that before I believed it came from the factory like that.
I can't believe it too, but the sales said he "couldn't" find any record about damage in transit. Plus the pandemic and chip shortages, there is nothing I can do for now.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 02:31 AM   #7
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmkmk_86 View Post
I can't believe it too, but the sales said he "couldn't" find any record about damage in transit. Plus the pandemic and chip shortages, there is nothing I can do for now.
From what I know about shipping damage, it's not reported anywhere.

Appreciate 1
      12-18-2021, 02:34 AM   #8
Mkmkmk_86
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i dont see why the fender would have to be removed. Nobody removes a fender to refinish it. Bumper, hood, yes.

My concern and question is why repaint the entire fender for a dirt nib? All they had to do was sand it down and polish it.

OE paints aren't perfect, there are more defects than people think.
They even tried to take off the wrap that is on the door and hood for blend in, and I refused to do so.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 02:36 AM   #9
Mkmkmk_86
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
:

Who did the PPF? Did you arrange it, or did BJBMW?

My M3Cx came in this week and the dealership is handling arrangements for PPF+ceramic over the Santorini.
I sent it to JRS Auto in Burnaby, they done the wrap on my previous car nicely, and they also offered me a nice price.

There are way too many wrapper on the market, it is kinda hard to find a good one.
Appreciate 1
evilalien447.50
      12-18-2021, 02:46 AM   #10
Mkmkmk_86
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosagi1 View Post
Darn, sorry to hear that. The gap would drive me crazy... I think you might be able to adjust the hood a bit so it is centered but the dealership should take accountability for this... PDI was paid for a reason.

BTW, the matte ppf on white looks great!
I contacted the dealer for partially refund of PDI, and only willing to do the repaint for me.

I made more than 10 phone calls within a week to the dealer, then just had enough to keep calling them in my working hours. And decided to just let them repaint it then never go back to them.

Thank! I really like the frozen white color, but due to the pandemic and the upcoming luxury tax, you just have to buy what you can get. Matte PPF wrapped on Alpine white looks close enough to frozen white
Appreciate 1
kurosagi1123.00
      12-18-2021, 06:17 AM   #11
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
From what I know about shipping damage, it's not reported anywhere.

there is fact a threshold for that...
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13024.50
      12-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
Type-S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/E92 M3/E82 1M

oh man...they tried to blame the thickness of the wrap??? Your wrap is about 0.2 mm thick...that SA needs a real kick in the head if he thinks the wrap is responsible for a gap that you can CLEARLY see in pictures.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #13
Osiris888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Looks as though paint defects may be a touch more common these days. I discovered this when washing the car today.

Not really a big deal but I took it to the dealership for warranty inquiry.

TBH I'm not even sure I will do anything about it. It's low enough on bumper that I don't even notice it unless I am looking right at it.

I don't know if taking the entire bumper off, removing all of the PPF that's on it now, repainting the whole bumper, applying new PPF, reinstalling the bumper, recalibrating all of the driver assistance sensors, is worth it just for those two little marks. There are a lot of areas that mistakes could be made that could make it more trouble than it's worth.

I even wonder if the PPF kept more paint from chipping off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #14
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
That's not a paint defect. You bumper was hit.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #15
Osiris888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
That's not a paint defect. You bumper was hit.
I hope not!?!?

What makes you think so?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #16
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Looks like flaking from being flexed. Maybe I'm wrong, it's definitely in a weird spot.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #17
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris888 View Post
I hope not!?!?

What makes you think so?
Is it under the PPF? If so I'm surprised that the shop that installed it didn't let you know.
Appreciate 0