BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-22-2023, 08:07 PM   #265
Casone238
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
The i4 is deceptively quiet and has a gearbox with a single reduction. It's a one speed step down gearbox.

Maybe it's the visceral feel of the M3, but all you need to do is look at the quarter and launch times to know that an i4 M50 is no slouch.

As far as cornering; it's a different beast. You definitely can't toss it around like you would a M340 or M3. It's more akin to an M5, which you also can't just toss because it weighs in a F90 M5 clocks in at about 4300lbs.

With a lighter car with less HP you carry more speed into the corner. With a heavier car with lots of HP you try your best to straighten out the corner and carry less speed in and use all the HP to get out.

The technique is different and if you are trying to drive the i4 M50 like you drive a car that weighs 1000lbs less; no it will not inspire confidence and you are likely to scare yourself.

As I said the steering on all modern BMWs is trash compared to my E90 with its belt driven pump.

I've owned my M50 since March. Best car I've ever owned.
Yeah I can tell from the butt dyno I felt like a 600HP car. It must be that I’m not useto since you mentioned it’s a different technique especially what I’m not useto. Having a E92 it’s true the steering hasn’t been the same since. It could be the way the i4 was equipped that the steering was very loose where even launching it the front wheels where turning left & right which was very weird. It could just honestly be the way the car was equipped. Even with the XM & the iX as of right now EVs are not my thing and it will take a special car to get me accept it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 10:16 PM   #266
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casone238 View Post
Yeah I can tell from the butt dyno I felt like a 600HP car. It must be that I’m not useto since you mentioned it’s a different technique especially what I’m not useto. Having a E92 it’s true the steering hasn’t been the same since. It could be the way the i4 was equipped that the steering was very loose where even launching it the front wheels where turning left & right which was very weird. It could just honestly be the way the car was equipped. Even with the XM & the iX as of right now EVs are not my thing and it will take a special car to get me accept it.
Driving the i4 M50 fast takes practice.
I have also lowered mine about an inch with Eibach springs and links.

What you describe in a hard launch is real. The weight transfer to the rear is so large that the front end lifts and the steering gets light.

I rarely launch and instead of either launch mode or jumping on the throttle; I apply it more gradually until about 10-20mph to reduce that effect.
      07-22-2023, 11:02 PM   #267
Gottagofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp X-Drive

The current BMW Full EV line up is not in anyway what I would consider acceptable. They are not using the tried and true skateboard chassis design that much better EVs like Lucid is using and have instead opted to modify the CLAR platform in a vein effort to capture some of the EV market that would only cough up for a beemer.

The result of trying to fit all those batteries and electronics high up in a car designed for an ICE is terrible weight transfer, sloshy handling, and an extremely inefficient use of space. Never mind the fact that CLAR was not created to handle a curb weight of over 5000 pounds, the same weight as a Model S Plaid.

I'll wait and see what they can accomplish when they make a dedicated EV platform, rather than shoehorning it into the existing ones.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2023, 12:46 AM   #268
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
The current BMW Full EV line up is not in anyway what I would consider acceptable. They are not using the tried and true skateboard chassis design that much better EVs like Lucid is using and have instead opted to modify the CLAR platform in a vein effort to capture some of the EV market that would only cough up for a beemer.

The result of trying to fit all those batteries and electronics high up in a car designed for an ICE is terrible weight transfer, sloshy handling, and an extremely inefficient use of space. Never mind the fact that CLAR was not created to handle a curb weight of over 5000 pounds, the same weight as a Model S Plaid.

I'll wait and see what they can accomplish when they make a dedicated EV platform, rather than shoehorning it into the existing ones.
I can't think of a single brand that has mastered this even for a car that was designed for EV.

Honestly, not a single EV brand to me is 'acceptable' if you're expecting the performance/handling of a true sports car. Hybrid is a wonderful blend of the two, and seems to currently be the way to bridge the gap between a track star and a drag king.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2023, 10:49 AM   #269
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
You're crazy. An electric M3 at similar price point would fly off the lots. The XM is a huge vehicle that sells for damn near 200k. Oh yeah and it's more of a combustion car than it is electric. Not even the same category as an M3 or M3 equivalent.
And they won’t sell because he has decided they will not sell

He clearly needs a new line of work
      07-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #270
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
How exactly are they like cell phones?
In a way they actually are

As the battery improves and the screen gets bigger we’ll want to upgrade
      07-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #271
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:

A skateboard chassis is not the only way to do things and you ignore that companies like Lucid, Fisker and others ONLY build an EV. BMW has share holders and existing markets to service.

That tunnel actually adds stiffness to the i4 chassis.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the modified platform of a Bimmer; a Beamer is a motorcycle.

You don't seem to know about BMW and battery placement in the i4 or the other BEVs that BMW makes. The battery in an i4 is bolted under the car and lowers the center of gravity of an i4 to lower than the M440 GC or M3. The cables and a few battery modules are in the tunnel, but the main portion of the 1000lbs of battery is the bottom of the cars.

Even the NC won't be a dedicated battery platform. It's will be designed for BEV but will support ICE.
      07-23-2023, 12:37 PM   #272
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
In a way they actually are

As the battery improves and the screen gets bigger we’ll want to upgrade

100% and the market for EV’s is going to shift to a cell phone monthly rental program eventually as well. No one is going to want a 5 year old EV that’s 2 generations old and these cars are going to become disposable appliances just like cell phones (they are already just about as exciting as a refrigerator).

This is another way these goofy cars are GREAT for the environment, battery replacements need to be made just in time (can’t have battery packs sitting on a shelf for 8+ years because they degrade just sitting in a hot warehouse). So in 10 years when you need a new battery that costs $25k installed, it may not even be available from the dealership because they don’t want to support making old batteries - not only that what do you think a 10 year old EV is going to be worth? Maybe $5k? No one is going to want to spend that kind of cash on an old EV, most people don’t even have near that much liquid cash available. So the EV lifecycle will be short and these buyers are going to rotate in and out of these faster than ICE cars on average in my opinion. I have had a Taycan and multiple hybrids, currently have a Panamera eHybrid and that’s a much better solution for most people - full EV’s are junk in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3606.00
      07-23-2023, 01:05 PM   #273
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
100% and the market for EV’s is going to shift to a cell phone monthly rental program eventually as well. No one is going to want a 5 year old EV that’s 2 generations old and these cars are going to become disposable appliances just like cell phones (they are already just about as exciting as a refrigerator).

This is another way these goofy cars are GREAT for the environment, battery replacements need to be made just in time (can’t have battery packs sitting on a shelf for 8+ years because they degrade just sitting in a hot warehouse). So in 10 years when you need a new battery that costs $25k installed, it may not even be available from the dealership because they don’t want to support making old batteries - not only that what do you think a 10 year old EV is going to be worth? Maybe $5k? No one is going to want to spend that kind of cash on an old EV, most people don’t even have near that much liquid cash available. So the EV lifecycle will be short and these buyers are going to rotate in and out of these faster than ICE cars on average in my opinion. I have had a Taycan and multiple hybrids, currently have a Panamera eHybrid and that’s a much better solution for most people - full EV’s are junk in my opinion.
Exactly why I leased my first 4 EV’s… Picking up a total of 30k in dead presidents in the process…

Additionally, a lot of the stuff that you’re posting is completely made up shit that was in your head. That doesn’t make it true, just because you believe it...
      07-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #274
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
I don’t care about 0-60. 100-200 is a far better measure of a cars performance. That metric is too convoluted and situational to be of any use.

This is however how automotive technological evolution works. Electronic ignitions, fuel injection, automatic transmissions, driver assist systems, self driving, EVs. Eventually you will be driven by your vehicle. Systems will improve and people will adjust. Used to be automatics were much slower than the manual. All i really want is a choice.
      07-23-2023, 01:55 PM   #275
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

The iX is a dedicated BEV platform. Interested in trying it.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN20167.00
      07-23-2023, 08:30 PM   #276
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Exactly why I leased my first 4 EV’s… Picking up a total of 30k in dead presidents in the process…

Additionally, a lot of the stuff that you’re posting is completely made up shit that was in your head. That doesn’t make it true, just because you believe it...
Oh I also forgot to mention the weirdos that come out of the woodwork to white knight for EV’s. People who rush to defend a technology with zero skin in the game is a laughably sad existence. I gave anecdotal evidence from my brief time owning a Taycan. Sorry kid, some people actually are successful in this world and do get to purchase these kinds of cars and have real world experience.

Maybe if you work really hard for your boss over the next 20-30 years, you’ll get to my level where you can buy Porsche’s with cash (which is what I have done with my last 3 of them). Good luck, maybe some day you won’t be leasing EV’s and you can get yourself a nice real sports car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 09:17 PM   #277
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The iX is a dedicated BEV platform. Interested in trying it.
Yes and it even has a Carbon Cage

The iX looks almost like a ginormous i3…
      07-23-2023, 09:46 PM   #278
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Oh I also forgot to mention the weirdos that come out of the woodwork to white knight for EV’s. People who rush to defend a technology with zero skin in the game is a laughably sad existence. I gave anecdotal evidence from my brief time owning a Taycan. Sorry kid, some people actually are successful in this world and do get to purchase these kinds of cars and have real world experience.

Maybe if you work really hard for your boss over the next 20-30 years, you’ll get to my level where you can buy Porsche’s with cash (which is what I have done with my last 3 of them). Good luck, maybe some day you won’t be leasing EV’s and you can get yourself a nice real sports car.
Cringe...
Appreciate 5
///M TOWN20167.00
Needsdecaf6751.50
2SG5277.00
jmack1231302.00
      07-23-2023, 10:28 PM   #279
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Cringe...
💯
      07-24-2023, 02:01 AM   #280
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:

Man. Those are some big dickery statements lol.
Appreciate 6
///M TOWN20167.00
Needsdecaf6751.50
chicagofan0019228.50
2SG5277.00
      07-24-2023, 05:28 AM   #281
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Man. Those are some big dickery statements lol.
Some people will prove their a douche nozzle everyday. Lol
Appreciate 7
///M TOWN20167.00
Needsdecaf6751.50
chicagofan0019228.50
2SG5277.00
jmack1231302.00
      07-24-2023, 07:26 AM   #282
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Paywall, sorry. Bold wording is mine.

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...22&CSAuthReq=1

BMW sees European EV demand holding up; starts i5 production

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomotiveNewsEurope
BMW is seeing stronger demand for its electric vehicles in Europe than it expected, helping to offset a decline in orders in China, its biggest market, production chief Milan Nedeljkovic said.

"We expected at the start of the year that orders in Europe will decline, but it developed in the opposite way," Nedeljkovic told reports on Friday during a tour of BMW's plant in Dingolfing, Germany, where the carmaker started series production of the i5 full-electric sedan.

Europe posted an 11th consecutive month of growth in passenger car sales in June, led by a 55 percent surge in orders for EVs, which outpaced diesel sales for the first time in the European Union. In the same month, overall car sales declined in China as the country's economic recovery stumbled.

Orders for new BMW cars are currently declining in China, as expected, Nedeljkovic said. But U.S. demand for its models is growing. In Europe, uptake of fully electric vehicles drove order growth, while demand for combustion-engine cars was flat, he added.

BMW wants electric cars to account for 15 percent of its deliveries this year and expects fully electric models to account for half of total sales well ahead of 2030.
I'm guessing this is in large part due to company purchases and fleet CO2 mandates?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 02:54 PM   #283
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:

Pics of hot gf plz

07-24-2023, 04:29 PM   #284
evobeatsti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I’d be open to a hybrid but would not buy an all electric m3, defeats the whole
Purpose of the car…
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 04:45 PM   #285
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
Why is it that so many people see the world in such stark dichotomies? I'm seeing a lot of posts where a belief in science somehow equals a blue pulled lemming that has been duped by the government. That's not only wrong, but dangerous. It's healthy to be skeptical, but to be a nihilist or a tin-foil conspiracy theorist isn't the only other answer. It is still shocking to me that people actually lean in to this way of thinking.

Governments are pushing electric vehicles for profits, sure (the battle should be with commercial carriers, not personal vehicles), but that doesn't mean that all science is BS. And oil wells recharging? Seriously? Stay off Newsmax bro.

I don’t know what newsmax is, but nothing you said is real.

You’re just regurgitating talking points from MSNBC. You have no point so you resort to insults. It’s been the playbook of the unthinking for at least a decade.
🥱

So as long as we’re within your circle of comfort then we’re healthy and skeptical, but outside of it and we’re nihilists and… idk who gives a fuck frankly whatever else the hell you said.

The world is black and white now by the way and these are the people you are defending.

Anthony Fauci is the science and if you are against him, you are the problem, wear your mask, take your vaccine, and shut up. Trust the science. You aren’t a scientist. Questioning this will kill people.

Climate change is going to kill us all, I think we were already dead 20 years ago, and if you are not on board with ending oil immediately then you are an eco-terrorist and we must act against you to save the planet. Questioning this will kill people.

It goes on and on… and on, (race anyone?) but the point of this post is not to cite reality, that would be a waste of time on a person such as yourself.

People like you are so boring.
Get out from your “we can work it out” hotbox. I think you’ve had enough.

The world is unipolar if you are living in a western country. You are with them or against them, the end. And that’s the exact sort of opinion that led to this side car of a thread, not that I mind.

Instead of explaining how the man was wrong for thinking that an oil field could refill itself, he just insulted him, said he was crazy, the world would end if people stopped believing in the periodic table, and half or more of you (who literally don’t know an oil field from your asshole) clapped like seals.

You are trained well.

(Hilariously, Charlie Rose was later cancelled because he was apparently found guilty in the future of crimes in the past.)

Here, an unrelated bonus (hole?)
Including this one just for fun.
Everything is science now. And if you disagree with anything you are an anti-science bigot, obviously. This is hilarious on so many levels and if you can’t laugh at this then you really are an asshole.

Best comedy coming out of America right now is right here. This is the west. The largest, most important, deliberative body sitting with it’s own military and this is what they are doing.

These are the people running things ha ha ha!

Can you imagine how interesting an actual war with Americans would be?
I just hope this spreads like wildfire. I want to see Demi-gender service members complaining about their genders while trying to stick tampons up their asses, thinking they are menstruating…

while fighting a war.

It’s science btw, there’s no denying that there are (at current count 81 different genders, thank you google). We could get to infinity soon if we aren’t already there.

Appreciate 1
kfresh69.00
      07-24-2023, 06:59 PM   #286
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Make it combustion, hire a complete new design crew and give it a design to remember. (In a good way, not like the actual G please!)
And I will buy two.
Appreciate 0