BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-01-2024, 09:38 PM   #1
satin.g82
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition

Bimmerplug Carbon Fiber Hood Incompetence

$5000 hood i waited over a month to get.

Passenger side hood latch fits fine, driver side the holes are improperly drilled where the hood latch striker plate sits so it doesent fit and the screws can’t properly fit.

Really not trying to return it but in talks with their support for options. What would you guys do?

Passenger and driver side photos attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 10:49 PM   #2
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Why didn't you just get an Alpha N at that point? It costs $5k. Or even the Vorsteiner one if you don't like the Alpha N one? Instead you paid genuine high quality price, for a shitty Chinese knockoff from Bimmerplug. If I was you, I'd return it. Because if they were incompetent with this, who's to say the clear coat on the carbon is good quality? It might start yellowing quickly. Which is a known issue from those Alibaba/whitelabeled products that companies like BP sell.
Appreciate 3
      01-01-2024, 10:54 PM   #3
satin.g82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4nication View Post
Why didn't you just get an Alpha N at that point? It costs $5k. Or even the Vorsteiner one if you don't like the Alpha N one? Instead you paid genuine high quality price, for a shitty Chinese knockoff from Bimmerplug. If I was you, I'd return it. Because if they were incompetent with this, who's to say the clear coat on the carbon is good quality? It might start yellowing quickly. Which is a known issue from those Alibaba/whitelabeled products that companies like BP sell.
I’m wrapping the entire hood so it won’t yellow regardless, I simply liked this design the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 10:59 PM   #4
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by satin.g82 View Post
I’m wrapping the entire hood so it won’t yellow regardless, I simply liked this design the best.
What design is it? Post a picture or link if you can. The only reason I ask, is because everything I've seen on BP is just a ripoff design of another legit brand. Maybe this one is "unique" but everything I've seen on there is just cheap Chinese copies...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 11:03 PM   #5
satin.g82
Rep

Quote:
What design is it? Post a picture or link if you can. The only reason I ask, is because everything I've seen on BP is just a ripoff design of another legit brand. Maybe this one is "unique" but everything I've seen on there is just cheap Chinese copies...
https://bimmerplug.com/products/stre...-m3-g82-g83-m4
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 11:15 PM   #6
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah it definitely seems like it's just a Chinese copy of another hood. Here's the same hood from another one of those whitelabling sites, albeit this one for $1000 less.

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. But just know that when you buy stuff from these sites, stuff like this will, unfortunately happen. Bimmerplug in specific has a very, very bad reputation on this site. Both for product quality and for customer service. A quick Google search of "Bimmerplug Bimmerpost" will get you plenty of bad reviews on this forum...

https://thecarbahnlab.com/products/s...RoCOcQQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6606.00
      01-01-2024, 11:18 PM   #7
satin.g82
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it definitely seems like it's just a Chinese copy of another hood. Here's the same hood from another one of those whitelabling sites, albeit this one for $1000 less.

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. But just know that when you buy stuff from these sites, stuff like this will, unfortunately happen. Bimmerplug in specific has a very, very bad reputation on this site. Both for product quality and for customer service. A quick Google search of "Bimmerplug Bimmerpost" will get you plenty of bad reviews on this forum...

https://thecarbahnlab.com/products/s...RoCOcQQAvD_BwE
I went in buying it knowing what they are doing, i’m just wondering if my single screw issue is worth returning it or if i should make them compensate me a certain amount and then just drill a hole. Shipping was like $700 extra by air and the hood itself was $4.2k so about the same as that site. So i’m figuring it’ll make sense for them to compensate me atleast $1k instead of me returning it.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 11:20 PM   #8
satin.g82
Rep

Quote:
I went in buying it knowing what they are doing, i’m just wondering if my single screw issue is worth returning it or if i should make them compensate me a certain amount and then just drill a hole. Shipping was like $700 extra by air and the hood itself was $4.2k so about the same as that site. So i’m figuring it’ll make sense for them to compensate me atleast $1k instead of me returning it.
And yeah their support sucks, I called and asked before my hood shipped out because it was taking longer then what they said and the lady raised her voice at me because I called out her mistake, she was telling me it was “business days” and i started counting every single business day to prove to her it’s over their timeline lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 11:20 PM   #9
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I'd go the compensate/drill option myself but I highly doubt they'll give you anything close to $1k for just an issue with a screw hole.

You're welcome to try though.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 11:24 PM   #10
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And yeah their support sucks, I called and asked before my hood shipped out because it was taking longer then what they said and the lady raised her voice at me because I called out her mistake, she was telling me it was “business days” and i started counting every single business day to prove to her it’s over their timeline lol.
Sounds about right for them lol. Just remember, it's some people sitting in their house ordering shit from Alibaba and just having it shipped to you from China lol.

That being said, I agree, the drill method is probably your best bet. Though I wouldn't count on getting $1k (25% of product cost) back. You'll be lucky to even see a couple hundred I think.

In the future, if you can, try to stick with the reputable brands. In this case it sounded like you didn't have much choice if you wanted that specific hood. But if you do have the choice, definitely drop the extra cash!!

Good luck man. Keep us updated on what BP ends up doing for you, and if you can get it all to fit on the car!
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 11:44 PM   #11
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
It says on that product page “If there are any imperfections with your product upon receiving it, we will send you a new replacement”
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 11:45 PM   #12
satin.g82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
It says on that product page “If there are any imperfections with your product upon receiving it, we will send you a new replacement”
Lol, let’s see how that stands.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 08:47 AM   #13
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

you can order that exact hood through alibaba for well under 3k shipped. The least they could do is make sure you get a good one for the markup they are taking.
Appreciate 3
forcefed2567.00
thatguyM4193.00
      01-05-2024, 06:32 PM   #14
thatguyM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
you can order that exact hood through alibaba for well under 3k shipped. The least they could do is make sure you get a good one for the markup they are taking.
This is so true ......... I dont sell an Item I haven't installed on our Shop M4 - So we can see the quality of any carbon part - We buy from only 1 carbon fiber distributor and trust me there are so many out there I've even seen some vendors laminating their own tags on carbon parts from Ali Express - and DH Gate and saying they make it -
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2024, 02:05 PM   #15
MasterM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition

Good luck OP. I had to file a bank claim due to BimmerPlugs atrocious support. I got flamed here for calling them out. Sad to see they are still in business and up to their same tricks. Do not buy from these clowns
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2024, 03:58 PM   #16
satin.g82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterM View Post
Good luck OP. I had to file a bank claim due to BimmerPlugs atrocious support. I got flamed here for calling them out. Sad to see they are still in business and up to their same tricks. Do not buy from these clowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyM4 View Post
This is so true ......... I dont sell an Item I haven't installed on our Shop M4 - So we can see the quality of any carbon part - We buy from only 1 carbon fiber distributor and trust me there are so many out there I've even seen some vendors laminating their own tags on carbon parts from Ali Express - and DH Gate and saying they make it -
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Quote:
Sounds about right for them lol. Just remember, it's some people sitting in their house ordering shit from Alibaba and just having it shipped to you from China lol.

That being said, I agree, the drill method is probably your best bet. Though I wouldn't count on getting $1k (25% of product cost) back. You'll be lucky to even see a couple hundred I think.

In the future, if you can, try to stick with the reputable brands. In this case it sounded like you didn't have much choice if you wanted that specific hood. But if you do have the choice, definitely drop the extra cash!!

Good luck man. Keep us updated on what BP ends up doing for you, and if you can get it all to fit on the car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I'd go the compensate/drill option myself but I highly doubt they'll give you anything close to $1k for just an issue with a screw hole.

You're welcome to try though.
Just got off the phone with them. Lady says “it’s not a defect” and that she recommends professional installation from a body shop “who should” be able to work around it. Lmfao, i’m gonna either charge them back or take them to court. It’s not 1 screw that’s messed up but it all needs to be moved to the left. All the holes by 3 inches.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2024, 09:46 PM   #17
JPF711
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp xdrive

Garage List
Sorry to hear. Their business plan seems to be take the money and run.

Their website claims they inspect all overseas parts here in CA before they ship them to customers but my part came strait from China. According to their own website they should have caught your problem before it ever reached you. Where was it shipped from?

Here’s what their FAQ page says -
“Where are Bimmer Plug products made? ^
All Bimmer Plug products start their journey at our exclusive manufacturing facility overseas. From there, they are shipped to our state-of-the-art warehouse in Irvine, California. Located at 18102 Sky Park Circle Suite L Bldg 52, this facility serves as the heart of our operations. It's where each product undergoes rigorous quality checks for compatibility, durability, and overall excellence. So, while our manufacturing is global, our quality assurance is deeply rooted in California, ensuring that you receive nothing but the best.”

Oops. So much for that step.

I got burned by them myself. Wouldn’t let me cancel an order, wouldn’t let me return an order. And it came strait from China, skipping that quality control step. After reading so many negative reviews (Google BimmerPlug complaints) I’m not going install it. Everything seems to be custom so that’s the reasoning from them. I believe you have 1hr to cancel an order. Didn’t do my research on them.

I hope you’re able to work something out with them. Here’s a link for the BBB if you need it to file a complaint and if it’s appropriate to do so. Good luck to you.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-jose/p...g-1216-1644211
Appreciate 1
MasterM58.00
      02-03-2024, 11:08 AM   #18
satin.g82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPF711 View Post
Sorry to hear. Their business plan seems to be take the money and run.

Their website claims they inspect all overseas parts here in CA before they ship them to customers but my part came strait from China. According to their own website they should have caught your problem before it ever reached you. Where was it shipped from?

Here’s what their FAQ page says -
“Where are Bimmer Plug products made? ^
All Bimmer Plug products start their journey at our exclusive manufacturing facility overseas. From there, they are shipped to our state-of-the-art warehouse in Irvine, California. Located at 18102 Sky Park Circle Suite L Bldg 52, this facility serves as the heart of our operations. It's where each product undergoes rigorous quality checks for compatibility, durability, and overall excellence. So, while our manufacturing is global, our quality assurance is deeply rooted in California, ensuring that you receive nothing but the best.”

Oops. So much for that step.

I got burned by them myself. Wouldn’t let me cancel an order, wouldn’t let me return an order. And it came strait from China, skipping that quality control step. After reading so many negative reviews (Google BimmerPlug complaints) I’m not going install it. Everything seems to be custom so that’s the reasoning from them. I believe you have 1hr to cancel an order. Didn’t do my research on them.

I hope you’re able to work something out with them. Here’s a link for the BBB if you need it to file a complaint and if it’s appropriate to do so. Good luck to [...]
Thanks, ended up winning dispute with CC company for entire cost of hood, got the issue fixed at a body shop but all the holes needed to be redrilled and the old ones filled with fiberglass. After I disputed the offered $300 to try to get me to cancel.
Appreciate 5
Needsdecaf6606.00
forcefed2567.00
JPF71119.50
ny2nj189.50