BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-26-2024, 12:06 PM   #1
saudisinaudis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive GC

Has anyone suffered any kind of headlight failure secondary to yellow DRL installatio

I’m not sure if it’s worth sacrificing $10,000 worth (in repairs) of laser headlights, or even a fraction of that cost in exchange for a more aggressive DRL glare. Has anyone reported issues secondary to yellow DRLs that couldn’t be fixed by placing back the OEM module / chips?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:46 PM   #2
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

It's just an LED chip, the power draw isn't enough to cause major harness/wiring issues IMO.
That being said, I would have it replaced when going in for any headlight repair services.
I'm getting mine replaced due to excessive moisture/condensation. Glad I didn't change my DRLs.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:50 PM   #3
saudisinaudis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
It's just an LED chip, the power draw isn't enough to cause major harness/wiring issues IMO.
That being said, I would have it replaced when going in for any headlight repair services.
I'm getting mine replaced due to excessive moisture/condensation. Glad I didn't change my DRLs.
Your OEM DRL suffered from that?
I’m worried due to the fact that the car stores and feeds the system most changes done to the car, that are then easily detectable by technicians due to the limited parameters within the car. So if any problem were to arise with my headlights, and I switched back the original DRLs… they’d find a way to deny my warranty claim on the ground of tamperment. And OEM laser headlight parts are never cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 01:05 PM   #4
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudisinaudis View Post
I’m worried due to the fact that the car stores and feeds the system most changes done to the car,
Is that an assumption or fact? How does the car know you swapped the led board?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 01:08 PM   #5
saudisinaudis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Is that an assumption or fact? How does the car know you swapped the led board?
An assumption, basing off of the ease by which JB4 plug-ins are captured in the system and caught even long after removal due to the system constantly feeding back any change in the limited car parameters to BMW’s Central
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 01:11 PM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I’m worried due to the fact that the car stores and feeds the system most changes done to the car, that are then easily detectable by technicians due to the limited parameters within the car. So if any problem were to arise with my headlights, and I switched back the original DRLs… they’d find a way to deny my warranty claim on the ground of tamperment. And OEM laser headlight parts are never cheap.
The OEM lights have had a few instances of water condensing inside.

Regarding the yellow DRL, your best option is to get the kit that includes the heat sinks. That way you dont have to pry your stock led PCBs off the heat sink and attach the aftermarket led PCB to it. Simple swap and your stock LEDs dont look pried off and or glued back on in case you do have a light issue. You can just put the stock leds back on and everything will look unmolested.
      01-26-2024, 01:20 PM   #7
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
An assumption, basing off of the ease by which JB4 plug-ins are captured in the system and caught even long after removal due to the system constantly feeding back any change in the limited car parameters to BMW’s Central
The jb4 is caught because the ecu can tell that the car is accelerating faster meaning some kind of piggyback or ecu modification. With these yellow drls how will the ecu tell that they were modified? There's no way, no point even thinking about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 01:53 PM   #8
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

The OP is misleading… makes it seem like there is some kind of documented failure with people that did DRL color changes. I have not seen a single post about this, but maybe I’m missing something, which I doubt.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 02:09 PM   #9
saudisinaudis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
The OP is misleading… makes it seem like there is some kind of documented failure with people that did DRL color changes. I have not seen a single post about this, but maybe I’m missing something, which I doubt.
I’m asking, not asserting, by way of precaution if there is any kind of failure / defect of headlights associated with aftermarket DRLs
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 02:40 PM   #10
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I’m asking, not asserting, by way of precaution if there is any kind of failure / defect of headlights associated with aftermarket DRLs
Gotcha. There isn’t. Not much happening there with the DRL LED change to cause issues. At most, and it’s a well documented bs BMW failure of the headlights themselves, but if you ever have excessive condensation in them, they could turn around and try to blame you taking them apart caused an issue with the seal, which it doesn’t. If that’s your biggest worry (and it’s the only expected failure even untouched if it even happens) then like the other poster said, buy the LED boards that come with the heat sinks already on them and it’s an easy swap back should you need to file a warranty claim for that. Again, you taking that module out and placing another in (ie the act of taking the screws out and removing the heat sink plug and placing it back) DOES NOT cause a seal issue with the headlights that lead to the condensation issue and BMW knows this (hell they even mention it in the manual like it’s supposed to be normal when it’s minor, lol, but sometimes they don’t want to be accountable. Even so, it’s somewhat rare.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 02:50 PM   #11
saudisinaudis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Gotcha. There isn’t. Not much happening there with the DRL LED change to cause issues. At most, and it’s a well documented bs BMW failure of the headlights themselves, but if you ever have excessive condensation in them, they could turn around and try to blame you taking them apart caused an issue with the seal, which it doesn’t. If that’s your biggest worry (and it’s the only expected failure even untouched if it even happens) then like the other poster said, buy the LED boards that come with the heat sinks already on them and it’s an easy swap back should you need to file a warranty claim for that. Again, you taking that module out and placing another in (ie the act of taking the screws out and removing the heat sink plug and placing it back) DOES NOT cause a seal issue with the headlights that lead to the condensation issue and BMW knows this (hell they even mention it in the manual like it’s supposed to be normal when it’s minor, lol, but sometimes they don’t want to be accountable. Even so, it’s somewhat rare.
Pretty much what I needed to know. So replacing the OEM led boards and heatsinks with a complete set is an easy process that, if you place back the OEM things, technicians prying through the headlights couldn’t ever tell they were removed / tampered with?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:05 PM   #12
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Pretty much what I needed to know. So replacing the OEM led boards and heatsinks with a complete set is an easy process that, if you place back the OEM things, technicians prying through the headlights couldn’t ever tell they were removed / tampered with?
No. The heatsink assembly is fastened with normal screws. Also, should you get a bad board the car has circuit protection and will detect abnormal current draw, continuity, etc. shut down and throw a code. I know this because I got a bad board. Reinstalled the OEM board and cleared the codes until the replacement arrived. Easy stuff.
      01-26-2024, 03:05 PM   #13
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah and they won’t be taking anything apart to check anything. It’s just a couple of screws and that’s it. Since the color will be back to normal, they won’t even know to look further. Besides, you’d want to change them back so you have them for the new ones. That condensation thing is piss poor seal design of the lights themselves. Some of them have it and some do not. Those that do, shouldn’t have it but it’s one of those things that if it’s minor enough, BMW gets out of the warranty claim by mentioning it in the manual as if it’s OK. 🙄
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:37 PM   #14
saudisinaudis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
No. The heatsink assembly is fastened with normal screws. Also, should you get a bad board the car has circuit protection and will detect abnormal current draw, continuity, etc. shut down and throw a code. I know this because I got a bad board. Reinstalled the OEM board and cleared the codes until the replacement arrived. Easy stuff.
This was very relevant to my initial concern. I’ve read about cleared codes being detectable by Central BMW if they find it relevant to the claim in concern, so wouldn’t a code where circuit protection was activated raise flags when the time comes for a warranty claim regarding anything electrical in the car? I don’t think it would be out of order for them to scan specifically for such codes to deny responsibility.
But then again, it may be hard for them to prove that it wasn’t an intrinsic fault in the car’s original circuits if I remove the DRL.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 04:57 PM   #15
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

^^^^ If you’re that paranoid, then don’t mod anything on the car. I think you’re blowing your worrying a bit out water. Codes for missing light or light bulbs going out automatically retest and get cleared off the active DTCs on the respective modules. They don’t deal with engine or environmental issues, so they don’t even keep a historical record in the module. About the wildest thing I can think of is if you leave the car connected to the BMW link and whenever something gets set off (mostly drivetrain/safety related) the car will upload the DTC problems and try notify the service dept at your dealership.
Appreciate 3
aktif81033.50
thatguyM4191.50
forcefed2567.00
      01-26-2024, 07:26 PM   #16
thatguyM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

Quote:
I’m not sure if it’s worth sacrificing $10,000 worth (in repairs) of laser headlights, or even a fraction of that cost in exchange for a more aggressive DRL glare. Has anyone reported issues secondary to yellow DRLs that couldn’t be fixed by placing back the OEM module / chips?
This is the best one yet - DRL LED has nothing to do with the Headlamp except Turn and Hazzard Lights where ever you getting your information is truly false. I've tested these and did more research and development then any other person , company or Manufactor on this subject. I have 3 BMW dealerships that use my DRL LED and if that was an issue I would of heard about it a long time ago - As for taking your OEM and putting the Yellow DRL on your OEM Heat sink this is another myth as to if it would ruin your lights - There hasn't been enough research to justify any issues .
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:41 AM   #17
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion.
No, I did buy the yellow DRLs which I HAVEN'T put in my car.
Last December was the first time in 2 years I drove my G82 in heavy rain and of course, it developed the severe condensation issue on one of the headlights.
I brought it in for service to get it replaced and the other side's vent replaced.
I just thought it's a good thing that I didn't touch the OEM laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:08 AM   #18
thatguyM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

But that's an issue they had already condensation in the headlight just poor circulation there is a fan that runs all the time to cool the headlight but with rain and heat you get fog and condensation
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 11:41 PM   #19
farishat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 330i ZHP, 2024 G80 M3

Quote:
My how times change. A while back, yellowish lights were considered less aggressive and people changed them to bright white to be more agressive. Now it is in reverse?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 11:55 PM   #20
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by farishat View Post
My how times change. A while back, yellowish lights were considered less aggressive and people changed them to bright white to be more agressive. Now it is in reverse?
Well if look at the CSL it came out with yellow DRLs. It’s just DRL not ur head lights.
Appreciate 0