BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #155
SickGTR
Private First Class
84
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 1000whpGTR
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Dirt Jerz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
They had one in Long Island where my buddy got his GT3. I was Orange and Black. So dope
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 01:54 AM   #156
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
9768
Rep
10,553
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
They had one in Long Island where my buddy got his GT3. I was Orange and Black. So dope
A GT2 RS was at my last track day. He was doing a lead follow, the lead being a spec Miata! I passed him twice, but he wins the game of "who's got the nicer toys". Parked next to me in the pits too. Good on him for using it as intended.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPE | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08 | RE-71R
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:19 AM   #157
CanAutM3
General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
14468
Rep
18,405
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
A GT2 RS was at my last track day. He was doing a lead follow, the lead being a spec Miata! I passed him twice, but he wins the game of "who's got the nicer toys". Parked next to me in the pits too. Good on him for using it as intended.
Well driven, they are hellishly fast though...
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #158
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
9768
Rep
10,553
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
A GT2 RS was at my last track day. He was doing a lead follow, the lead being a spec Miata! I passed him twice, but he wins the game of "who's got the nicer toys". Parked next to me in the pits too. Good on him for using it as intended.
Well driven, they are hellishly fast though...
No doubt! It was only his first time on the track!
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPE | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08 | RE-71R
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 1
CanAutM314467.50

      01-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #159
SickGTR
Private First Class
84
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 1000whpGTR
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Dirt Jerz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
No doubt! It was only his first time on the track!
Very nice track toy to have!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #160
natedog7700
Captain
natedog7700's Avatar
438
Rep
778
Posts

Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: milwaukee wi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
I ran 650 Torque for about 2 months and nuked 4th gear I knew it was on the clock but always planned on building at some point. Depending on how you drive a GTR will also determine the tranny upgrade. If you are launching 10 times a week, you better over build for your power. I would assume the Beemers will be the same. If you track it hard and drag race often, it will break sooner or need to be built up a bit. I understand people feel good about the tranny now and maybe they should be. I need to see an AWD M car with 800-850 ft lbs launching and beat on before I can say it's going to be fine. If you are only doing some 60-130 pulls once in a blue, you may be just fine. Time will tell
I believe it! I raced quite a few GTR's back in the day with my 335, the GTR's are quick when the owner has money but if hes just another guy affording that monthly payment you can bet its on stock twins. The twins max around 600, clutches start to slip past 600tq, engine throws rods past 600... That barrier is literally in the 10's of thousands as compared to a couple grand getting it to 600. Like you said, you can probably hit 650 on stock everything but what's the point, you're flirting with a big repair bill or going all out and that means you probably have mega bucks to spend and already on your way to an 800+awhp monster.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:23 PM   #161
TTHURACAN
Private First Class
62
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: Lamborghini
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Huracan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
I believe it! I raced quite a few GTR's back in the day with my 335, the GTR's are quick when the owner has money but if hes just another guy affording that monthly payment you can bet its on stock twins. The twins max around 600, clutches start to slip past 600tq, engine throws rods past 600... That barrier is literally in the 10's of thousands as compared to a couple grand getting it to 600. Like you said, you can probably hit 650 on stock everything but what's the point, you're flirting with a big repair bill or going all out and that means you probably have mega bucks to spend and already on your way to an 800+awhp monster.
The stock twins cant hold more than 13psi to redline, unless its a nismo model. Swapping to nismo or similar turbos allow you to hold 20+ psi to redline 7500rpm, all the while respecting the 600-625 torque limit. On E85, thats 800whp, 700whp on 91. Tsm offers a warranty on this stock engine turbo upgrade, as well as another big player. I know they are pretty reliable at that level... and trap 140-150mph depending how hard u push...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #162
SickGTR
Private First Class
84
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 1000whpGTR
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Dirt Jerz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHURACAN View Post
The stock twins cant hold more than 13psi to redline, unless its a nismo model. Swapping to nismo or similar turbos allow you to hold 20+ psi to redline 7500rpm, all the while respecting the 600-625 torque limit. On E85, thats 800whp, 700whp on 91. Tsm offers a warranty on this stock engine turbo upgrade, as well as another big player. I know they are pretty reliable at that level... and trap 140-150mph depending how hard u push...
My buddy has that exact type set up. I think he has SIR turbos, not TSM. It's pretty quick though, and spools quickly
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #163
TTHURACAN
Private First Class
62
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: Lamborghini
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Huracan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
My buddy has that exact type set up. I think he has SIR turbos, not TSM. It's pretty quick though, and spools quickly
Makes for a great street car that traps min 140mph lol
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #164
SickGTR
Private First Class
84
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 1000whpGTR
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Dirt Jerz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHURACAN View Post
Makes for a great street car that traps min 140mph lol
Yes it does. Most likely beat 90% of cars on the road. If you do that type of stuff
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #165
TTHURACAN
Private First Class
62
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: Lamborghini
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Huracan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Yes it does. Most likely beat 90% of cars on the road. If you do that type of stuff
Lol, where im from, more like 90% of bikes
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #166
SickGTR
Private First Class
84
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 1000whpGTR
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Dirt Jerz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHURACAN View Post
Lol, where im from, more like 90% of bikes
No better feeling than heading down to the Jersey shore, catch a group bikes and pull them all
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #167
TTHURACAN
Private First Class
62
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: Lamborghini
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Huracan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
No better feeling than heading down to the Jersey shore, catch a group bikes and pull them all
Bro, the looks on their faces - Priceless

Last edited by TTHURACAN; 01-12-2021 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #168
RoadRunner///M
Major General
RoadRunner///M's Avatar
No_Country
427
Rep
6,757
Posts

Drives: 1M (Sold), M3 F80
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Oz

iTrader: (0)

Primary reason for an ///M car is fun-factor IMO. Heavy + AT hugely diminishes fun factor.

The G8x has moved away from a track capable saloon at the excessive weight. Even with canyon runs you will notice that extra 200-300kg. I doubt in RWD format the G8x will be any faster than a stage 1 F8x, however the AWD will be very fast.

Coming from a number of BMW's over past 2 decades (1M, E46M3, F80), I now find myself questioning why I would choose a ///M over a AMG or RS? Given the G80 weight, I'd certainly probably opt for the better quality AMG if I wanted a fast saloon, but likely now forced away from the fat, but fast saloon format onto more 911/Cayman.

For now sticking with my F80 seems the most fun/logical option.
__________________
BMW F80 M3 DCT - Silverstone II - AA Mids, BM3 tune
Appreciate 1
jmg9768.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST