2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
He said it, he actually said it, he actually called it a "small m5."
The M5 is clearly the most epic machine I drove since ever. Never I drove one that has such a broad width of abilities, rendering everything so damn easy. Of course the M4c was more fun, since more a handful, but significantly less effective (like he said in the vid: "it wants to kill you")

Hmmm... is it a blessing or a curse? Depends on preference. I could certainly live with a smaller M5.
I've tracked the M5 and it's a good car for its size but it wasn't nearly as fun and an M3 or M2. The instructors even said it was a boat and they were BMW instructors. A very capable boat, but still a boat.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 4
CanAutM321116.50
KoenG1428.50
six75LT916.50
zamboni1130.50
      03-20-2021, 12:38 AM   #46
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Agreed! People place too much weight in another fallible human's opinion.
I swear that this is behind half of the BMW steering complaints. Yes, it is somewhat legit and everyone took a hit with electric steering. However, I think BMW is often singled out to the point that BMW steering is a meme. I don't think the F8x steering is bad, but I think journalists get in a BMW and have unrealistic expectations that it's going to feel like an E36 still. Does Porsche do it better? Sure, but I don't think BMW is any worse than their closest competitors like Audi and MB.

As far as I can tell, every car is becoming more refined with every generation. I understand not everyone likes that trend, but it is what it is at this point.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
RugbyBro7601.50
      03-20-2021, 12:51 AM   #47
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

All the fanbois have hopped onto this thread? Lesson 101

Quote:
But then you have others that say it's not like a smaller M5. It feels like you're hanging your feelings about the M3/M4 over this one video despite there being different opinions. Not trying to persuade you one way or the other but you're best off test driving it yourself to form your own opinion/conclusion of the M3/M4.
Quote:
Agreed! People place too much weight in another fallible human's opinion.
Phrases in bold clearly show that the mindset of the above posters is not

Quote:
How does saying,"judge everything for yourself," ...
Quote:
All I said was other reviews said the complete opposite so you shouldn't base your opinion completely on this one review unless you already made up your mind on the M3/M4 in which case you'll take any opinion that reinforces your feelings.
The paraphrases above are disingenuous. The posters' point was presumptuous and erroneous that my entire opinion was based completely on this video. Thus, the jumping in defending the G8X makes the posters fanbois, ie fans who are demonstrating intense enthusiasm over the G8X and not objective in their views.

Fanbois, no car is perfect and all want a G8X that's engaging to drive. The consensus is that this car is v fast in the straights and on track. The negatives are it is heavier than what M could reasonably have made, removing DCT, and steering could be better. It is good that M receives the feedback for it to improve; don't defend everything (about the G8X) cos you are stifling feedback to M and prejudicing yourselves eventually. I'm sure M improved on the first launched F80 taking into account feedback. Post below taken from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Early F8x were rather twitchy. Later cars had better DME mapping. The jump isn't as massive if F8x CS are used as the comparison.

Last edited by bm323; 03-20-2021 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 01:13 AM   #48
bm323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
This review is not so positive for me, with M5-like mentioned more than once.
Look at my first post which fanbois (felt there was some negativity concerning the G8X) jumped in to criticize although the remark was not so positive "for me". A mini M5,as mentioned by others, can be a complimentary remark if they prefer a G8X to handle more like the F90 or their perceived M5 vs M3.

Reviewers who say it is a mini M5, are of the view that is more like a M5 than a M2. Vice versa, for a remark like "larger M2". A mini M5 probably does not mean "midway" between a M2 and a M5. But hey, as I said, some prefer it closer to a M5; not me.
      03-20-2021, 09:10 AM   #49
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
bm323, your first post was OK and the responses were OK. The way a forum works. I'm not sure where your second post comes from unless you are a hater and are here just to stir up $hit.
I think the anti g8x crowd is kind of running out of material with all the good reviews coming out. Still a completely valid opinion obviously that they don't like the car and it isn't for them but now that it's released and there's reviews for it what else can you really say...the whole speculation part is mostly over. The pro g80 crowd is all collecting their cars and talking about features and setups and tunes and whatnot now
Do the great driving reviews change how hideous it looks? I'll watch more of them if you say yes.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #50
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I don't understand this debate, some say the M3 feels like a smaller M5 but some others say it feels like a bigger M2
lets take a look at the M lineup
Bigger than M2 = M3
Smaller than M5= M3
Shocking they might be talking about the same car.....

Side note: he mentioned different track and center of gravity for the M4 vs M3? I know that is the case for the standard 4 series vs 3 series but was that the case for the M twins? would be the first I have seen that referenced.
Lower center of gravity for the M4 is a given due its lower height.

Different tracks is an error he made, as both the G80 and G82 share the exact same front and rear tracks as per BMW official specifications.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #51
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
This review is not so positive for me, with M5-like mentioned more than once.
If you're gonna think like this you'll probably never try things out for yourself or let alone always feel disappointed. Not to sound like Dr. Phil but just saying...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #52
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

M5- Very smooth speedboat with supercar (potential) output. You can safely go max throttle because of how in-control the car is. Pure unadulterated power.

M3- Both smooth and rugged. Commands your attention. Big car but not too heavy. Enough agility and power to slap a smile on your face.

M2- Rolls most rugged of the three and sticks to the ground like glue. True coupe feel. Most agile.

They each share similarities while each being unique.
      03-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #53
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Look at my first post which fanbois (felt there was some negativity concerning the G8X) jumped in to criticize although the remark was not so positive "for me". A mini M5,as mentioned by others, can be a complimentary remark if they prefer a G8X to handle more like the F90 or their perceived M5 vs M3.
Who hurt you?

This is a G8X forum. Your posts are bordering on trolling with the ‘fanboys’ stuff.
Appreciate 1
OF Hero1133.00
      03-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #54
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
Do the great driving reviews change how hideous i think it looks? I'll watch more of them if you say yes.
I fixed your post for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #55
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

bm323 You really need to get back on your meds.

There was no animosity in any of the original responses to your first post. It is clear that the respondents mistook you as a fellow enthusiast and were trying to offer a broader viewpoint for your consideration.

Had they known you were just a Troll who dropped by an enthusiasts thread they would have not taken the effort to respond to you. Now you are just making an ass of yourself by trying to explain your delusional interpretations of their initial responses.

Again, please get back on your meds.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 03-20-2021 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #56
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

I watched the video. These guys loved the car. The M5 comment seems to be taken way out of context in this thread. My take on the comment is that it felt like a small M5 due to the gear box, stability/plantedness, and the overall refinement of the car. The only discussions of weight were not negative or implying the car had overthrown is heritage. The takeaways/comments were: OMG, this car is great/amazing, engineering is miles ahead of competitors, gearbox isn't as aggressive as DCT, how does BMW keep building cars that feel like you've driven them for ten years.

I still can't believe people freak out over reviews, let alone forum comments that are so apparently taken out of context.
Appreciate 5
EXE462100.00
OF Hero1133.00
Ka0tiK5.00
      03-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #57
///Mcarfan
IAB interrogating LEs
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
I think the anti g8x crowd is kind of running out of material with all the good reviews coming out. Still a completely valid opinion obviously that they don't like the car and it isn't for them but now that it's released and there's reviews for it what else can you really say...the whole speculation part is mostly over. The pro g80 crowd is all collecting their cars and talking about features and setups and tunes and whatnot now
Lol leave this echo chamber forum a bit and you'll see this car can run circles around all competitors and it'll still be a fail to most BMW enthusiasts.

All the negatives, looks, heavy, weight bias and more remain the same.
Remember BMW THEMSELVES said only 20% of the people liked it.

You guys wanted the people that didn't like the car out of these forums and we did, now you're imagining that most people like this car?

In that sense, why do you feel the need to represent the made up notion of others liking this car? Is you liking it not enough?

In essence, celebrating the day an M3/4 became a baby M5 in track feel. Truly sad.
Appreciate 1
Mavus2031.00
      03-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #58
bm323
Captain
Rep

The AutoTopNL reviewers are definitely positive of the G8X. They keep it real (in their view) with their comments as follows:

not as aggressive as the F80
feel quite big
quite a bit heavier
doesn't feel anything different from an M5, basically a lighter and more nimble version of the M5
steering a little bit distant
biggest difference from the F80 is the weight and the auto gearbox
more comfortable for daily driving
feels like an automatic gearbox
not the character of the DCT
F80 more fun, more in touch with the F80
mini M5
more civilised
Alfa Q has the better gearbox
xDrive will make it more M5 like
less aggressive gearbox
Alfa more raw

Now some of you probably prefer the G8X with the above as you are glossing over them I shall not be dignifying some "posts" by replying I reiterate, no car is perfect and don't get all hot under the collar in a forum; it's good M gets real feedback.

Add: my original post was that the review was not so positive for me, not the G8X as I have yet to conclude.

Last edited by bm323; 03-20-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #59
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

I don't have any skin in this fight (I have an e90, not ever going upgrade), but I gotta side with bm323 on this one.

His initial post was: "This review is not so positive for me, with M5-like mentioned more than once." Not a personal attack on the reviewer. Just a different interpretation of the reviewers words. Completely reasonable difference of opinion.

Then, TheBingoBalls responds: "But then you have others that say it's not like a smaller M5. It feels like you're hanging your feelings about the M3/M4 over this one video despite there being different opinions. Not trying to persuade you one way or the other but you're best off test driving it yourself to form your own opinion/conclusion of the M3/M4." Notice the difference: this reply is undermining bm323's completely reasonable opinion. It is by definition an ad hominem argument (i.e. your opinion is invalid because you have yet to test drive the car) and also a strawman argument (what does test driving the car have anything to do with interpreting the reviewer's own words?). And so bm323 responds in defense, and off we go.
Appreciate 1
bm323193.50
      03-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #60
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

The G82C has 3 hp more and weigh 300 lbs more than the F82 GTS. The GTS is a purpose built track car but the G82 matches it’s performance on Nurnburgring. If the G82C manage to do that with the power to weight disadvantage, aero disadvantage, standard suspension and still have the civility of a 5 series as the M5 that some hell of a car and achievement.

Last edited by solstice; 03-20-2021 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #61
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Why are there two crowds? Don't we all just want a good car that fits our needs? If we disagree on the car that just means we have different needs.
I certainly WISH that was the case. It clearly isn't. Online forums are replete with folk not actually in it for the right reasons. I saw one guy being downright rude to a new X3M owner on r/BMW comparing it to the 911GT3 he had it in his flair...and I peeked at his previous posts and found pictures of him from a few months before in a Taco Bell uniform standing next to the used late-model Sentra he'd just bought (info based on post content). Nothing wrong with working at Taco Bell. And getting a relatively new Sentra when you work there IS a good thing, but the kid was taking his time to pretend he owned a GT3 and berate people on the internet. Fun stuff.

Random, non-comprehensive list of bad reasons to post on a forum:

Self-validation of a choice they already made - We all do this a bit

To feel superior to others - The reactions happy new owners get slammed with on r/BMW have almost no other explanation...2GC, SUV, or M3C.

Absolute inability to understand that others have different criteria and make different decisions - always fun

Because your cat just scratched you and you need revenge on the universe - scratches DO hurt

Sour Grapes - Another one that most of us have been guilty of here and there

Sheer Stupidity and simple malice come into play rather often as well.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #62
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:

Reviewers who say it is a mini M5, are of the view that is more like a M5 than a M2. Vice versa, for a remark like "larger M2". A mini M5 probably does not mean "midway" between a M2 and a M5. But hey, as I said, some prefer it closer to a M5; not me.
Nobody had a problem with your first post haha they were just saying other reviewers give a different impression...you're really playing the victim here to make it sound like you're getting assaulted by 'fanbois' and that somehow proves that the car is bad because it takes a roving band of 'fanbois' to silence critics lol pretty clever way to start an argument im actually impressed...make it look like the other side is responsible
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25116.50
khanyam4801.50
      03-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #63
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
I don't have any skin in this fight (I have an e90, not ever going upgrade), but I gotta side with bm323 on this one.

His initial post was: "This review is not so positive for me, with M5-like mentioned more than once." Not a personal attack on the reviewer. Just a different interpretation of the reviewers words. Completely reasonable difference of opinion.

Then, TheBingoBalls responds: "But then you have others that say it's not like a smaller M5. It feels like you're hanging your feelings about the M3/M4 over this one video despite there being different opinions. Not trying to persuade you one way or the other but you're best off test driving it yourself to form your own opinion/conclusion of the M3/M4." Notice the difference: this reply is undermining bm323's completely reasonable opinion. It is by definition an ad hominem argument (i.e. your opinion is invalid because you have yet to test drive the car) and also a strawman argument (what does test driving the car have anything to do with interpreting the reviewer's own words?). And so bm323 responds in defense, and off we go.
That comment hardly warranted the 'look at all these bloodthirsty fanbois coming after me' response though haha but the convo up to that point you're not wrong about this dude clearly was saying hey I know you didn't like this review but I wouldn't give up on the car without looking in some other places/driving it. Don't see what's wrong with that.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25116.50
khanyam4801.50
      03-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #64
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mcarfan View Post
Lol leave this echo chamber forum a bit and you'll see this car can run circles around all competitors and it'll still be a fail to most BMW enthusiasts.

All the negatives, looks, heavy, weight bias and more remain the same.
Remember BMW THEMSELVES said only 20% of the people liked it.

You guys wanted the people that didn't like the car out of these forums and we did, now you're imagining that most people like this car?

In that sense, why do you feel the need to represent the made up notion of others liking this car? Is you liking it not enough?

In essence, celebrating the day an M3/4 became a baby M5 in track feel. Truly sad.
I didn't want anyone out... I was here speculating on what an unreleased car would be like same as y'all. And now it's out and it sounds like an objectively great car that I am interested in purchasing. Maybe every single 'BMW enthusiast' hates it cuz its not what they were expecting and im not a true bimmer fan Yada Yada and that's totally fine with me I can live with that lol I'm not trying to say your opinions are invalid or you don't belong here 🤣 but like what's your guys plan on this message board...am I just gonna keep reading about how much you hate the car in threads like 'what upgrades should I do to my g8x' and 'should I get 10 stage traction control' until the end of time? That's what I meant by running out of material I didn't mean your thoughts are way off base.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #65
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:

Nobody had a problem with your first post haha they were just saying other reviewers give a different impression...you're really playing the victim here to make it sound like you're getting assaulted by 'fanbois' and that somehow proves that the car is bad because it takes a roving band of 'fanbois' to silence critics lol pretty clever way to start an argument im actually impressed...make it look like the other side is responsible
He must be a Democrat. <eeps>

Kidding......maybe!! Lol!
Appreciate 1
zamboni1130.50
      03-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #66
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
He must be a Democrat. <eeps>

Kidding......maybe!! Lol!
Haha it's really like the twilight zone in here...does the gang that apparently likes the objectively hideous car sound like the type of people that would buy a car to impress others? Lol really one of the reasons I like it is because they went for a bold unconventional look and I want something that stands out and doesn't blend in. I would expect most people to not like how it looks and it has 0 emotional effect on me when they let me know you guys can keep your f80s and I love it that is a great car and I will always be excited to see one
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50