BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just used the navigation for a trip last Friday and the navigation appeared to have lost its mind. It had me traveling off of streets and over rivers. I stopped at a rest area and gate the system a moment and checked the Update section of the nav system where I noticed a "New Initialization Required - See the ConnectedDrive website for more info." Well, the site isn't helpful.

Has anyone encountered this? There are a lot of posts on the X5 forum about this with no resolution.

Thanks

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      09-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #2
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 410 View Post
I just the navigation for a trip last Friday and the navigation appeared to have lost its mind. It had me traveling off of streets and over rivers. I stopped at a rest area and gate the system a moment and checked the Update section of the nav system where I noticed a "New Initialization Required - See the ConnectedDrive website for more info." Well, the site isn't helpful.

Has anyone encountered this? There are a lot of posts on the X5 forum about this with no resolution.

Thanks
Use Apple Maps, google maps, or Waze. They are far superior to the built in nav.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      09-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #3
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Use Apple Maps, google maps, or Waze. They are far superior to the built in nav.
I appreciate your opinion, but at this point I'm using the built-in nav and would like to get this issue resolved. It may also help someone else that comes across this issue in the future. I've tried reselecting my region in the ConnectedDrive website and will see if that resolves my issue.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I appreciate your opinion, but at this point I'm using the built-in nav and would like to get this issue resolved. It may also help someone else that comes across this issue in the future. I've tried reselecting my region in the ConnectedDrive website and will see if that resolves my issue.
I'm really curious, not judging. Why do you prefer the built in nav?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #5
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
All good, Jim. It may really come down to what I'm used to using. I've never been a CarPlay fan although I have not spent enough extended time with it to truly see if it meets my needs or not. I've tried it a couple of times over the last couple of iOS versions and it just felt very immature to me. Admittedly, I rarely use the nav for routing. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Regardless, my brain isn't going to let go of the fact that the map update appears hung.

Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 10:41 AM   #6
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
All good, Jim. It may really come down to what I'm used to using. I've never been a CarPlay fan although I have not spent enough extended time with it to truly see if it meets my needs or not. I've tried it a couple of times over the last couple of iOS versions and it just felt very immature to me. Admittedly, I rarely use the nav for routing. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Regardless, my brain isn't going to let go of the fact that the map update appears hung.
Got it. CarPlay has gotten a lot better in general, and there is also tighter integration with the car itself now. For example….

- Apple Maps on iPhones and Google maps on Androids now display turn-by-turn directions in the HUD.

- The car communicates with CarPlay if you are low on fuel so your phone can automatically direct you to the nearest gas station.

- The car also tells your phone if you have a passenger so you can change text and phone call alerts for more privacy.

The future is even tighter integration. I encourage you to at least give it a try. I think you'll continue to struggle with your current issue (and others) with the built-in nav.

Edit: there are also some nice home automation features if you're into that. For example, when I approach my house, CarPlay displays my garage so I can open it before I get into my driveway
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      09-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #7
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got it. CarPlay has gotten a lot better in general, and there is also tighter integration with the car itself now. For example….

- Apple Maps on iPhones and Google maps on Androids now display turn-by-turn directions in the HUD.

- The car communicates with CarPlay if you are low on fuel so your phone can automatically direct you to the nearest gas station.

- The car also tells your phone if you have a passenger so you can change text and phone call alerts for more privacy.

The future is even tighter integration. I encourage you to at least give it a try. I think you'll continue to struggle with your current issue (and others) with the built-in nav.

Edit: there are also some nice home automation features if you're into that. For example, when I approach my house, CarPlay displays my garage so I can open it before I get into my driveway
Thanks for taking the time to share the potential benefits of CarPlay. You've convinced me to give this another shot. I really like the turn-by-turn in the HUD so nice to see that it's supported. I've got Home Assistant running in my Pi network rack so definitely interested in automation opportunities. How'd you set up the garage notification? I'd be interested in that.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 11:35 AM   #8
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cool, glad I could help.

For the garage trick....

First step is a HomeKit enabled garage door opener. I have MyQ enabled garage door openers. They have sell a separate HomeKit adapter, but I use a HOOBS box which has a MyQ plugin. I think you have a similar setup with Home Assistant and Pi.

Once you can control your garage door using the iPhone Home app, then it will work with CarPlay.

In prior versions of CarPlay, I set up a proximity automation. But, now it's built in. It somehow learned to display my garage door control when I get near my house. I think I opened/closed it a few times with the home app and then it just learned it.

You need to be in the main view (not full screen music, maps, etc.). The widget in the bottom right is dynamic. Sometimes it displays my calendar, and when I get close to home, it displays my garage.

The only flaw is when I drive my wife's car with my phone, it still displays my garage and not hers. I haven't spent any time trying to resolve this as I don't drive her car very often and just use the built in opener when I do.

Even though it maybe only saves me 10 secs each time, I really like this feature.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      09-18-2022, 12:48 PM   #9
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool, glad I could help.

For the garage trick....

First step is a HomeKit enabled garage door opener. I have MyQ enabled garage door openers. They have sell a separate HomeKit adapter, but I use a HOOBS box which has a MyQ plugin. I think you have a similar setup with Home Assistant and Pi.

Once you can control your garage door using the iPhone Home app, then it will work with CarPlay.

In prior versions of CarPlay, I set up a proximity automation. But, now it's built in. It somehow learned to display my garage door control when I get near my house. I think I opened/closed it a few times with the home app and then it just learned it.

You need to be in the main view (not full screen music, maps, etc.). The widget in the bottom right is dynamic. Sometimes it displays my calendar, and when I get close to home, it displays my garage.

The only flaw is when I drive my wife's car with my phone, it still displays my garage and not hers. I haven't spent any time trying to resolve this as I don't drive her car very often and just use the built in opener when I do.

Even though it maybe only saves me 10 secs each time, I really like this feature.
That's cool. I've got MyQ controllers which are wired up through HomeBridge running on my Synology NAS. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again

Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #10
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to share the potential benefits of CarPlay. You've convinced me to give this another shot. I really like the turn-by-turn in the HUD so nice to see that it's supported. I've got Home Assistant running in my Pi network rack so definitely interested in automation opportunities. How'd you set up the garage notification? I'd be interested in that.
Hi

Personal opinion but I prefer the in built nav. It performs far better than the apple play system in terms of road structure and timing of junctions. It displays what lane to be in and the junction layout. I find google too slow to say which exit to take and here in europe at least inaccurate. Also the phone based GPS isn't as good as the cars for some reason.
Appreciate 2
HTTP 4102141.50
      09-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #11
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
I just the navigation for a trip last Friday and the navigation appeared to have lost its mind. It had me traveling off of streets and over rivers. I stopped at a rest area and gate the system a moment and checked the Update section of the nav system where I noticed a "New Initialization Required - See the ConnectedDrive website for more info." Well, the site isn't helpful.

Thanks
Pros or cons of CarPlay aside, have not experienced this issue but if you hold down the circular radio button (volume) for 30 seconds it will do a reboot of the infotainment system. I mention it because from a reset stand point this is the most someone can do with out attaching cables to the car and digging in with what ever in house software BMW uses to troubleshoot issues.

If you do this and it does correct your issue then the next step is to the dealer.
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      09-22-2022, 07:33 PM   #12
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool, glad I could help.

For the garage trick....

I've been trying out CarPlay this week and it's not terrible. I do get turn-by-turn directions in the HUD and dash along with lane recommendations so that's feature parity with the iDrive nav. I ended up replacing my MyQ garage hubs with the Meross Homekit compatible garage controller and it's working flawlessly so far. This give way better performance than using MyQ with Homebridge, etc.

I have noticed a coupld of weird issues that I'm curious if you've encountered.
  1. If I use "Hey, Siri" the car will switch to "no active entertainment source" after the command is complete. It's doesn't happen 100% of the time and haven't been able to determine the root cause yet.
  2. I was sitting in the school drop-off line and noticed that the radio doesn't power down after a certain time after the car has been shut off when using CarPlay as it does using the iDrive.

Have you run into any of these?

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:37 PM   #13
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've been trying out CarPlay this week and it's not terrible. I do get turn-by-turn directions in the HUD and dash along with lane recommendations so that's feature parity with the iDrive nav. I ended up replacing my MyQ garage hubs with the Meross Homekit compatible garage controller and it's working flawlessly so far. This give way better performance than using MyQ with Homebridge, etc.

I have noticed a coupld of weird issues that I'm curious if you've encountered.
  1. If I use "Hey, Siri" the car will switch to "no active entertainment source" after the command is complete. It's doesn't happen 100% of the time and haven't been able to determine the root cause yet.
  2. I was sitting in the school drop-off line and noticed that the radio doesn't power down after a certain time after the car has been shut off when using CarPlay as it does using the iDrive.

Have you run into any of these?
I’m glad you are playing around with it. I was going to ping you in a few days to see how it’s going.

I’ve only used the Hey Siri feature a few times, and did not experience that issue.

As far as audio still playing after the car shuts off….It turns off once you open your door if you are by yourself, and once both doors are open if you have a passenger. I actually like it when I’m picking up my daughter from school. If it’s not too hot out, I shut off my engine and open the windows not to waste gas. I like that I can still listen to tunes while I wait. Not sure if this is setting or not.

When you say your garage is working flawlessly, the garage “button” appears automatically as you approach your house?
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #14
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Finally got around to setting up Homebridge (https://homebridge.io/) on MacOS and the my-q plugin. I like it! Thanks for the tips guys!
Appreciate 2
HTTP 4102141.50
      09-28-2022, 07:42 AM   #15
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
One reason to use the built in Nav is it does not use iPhone data, and apps using location services use up phone battery. Although most of us now have decent data plans, wireless charging seems poor and I really don't like having a charging cable hanging about on my console.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:18 PM   #16
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m glad you are playing around with it. I was going to ping you in a few days to see how it’s going.

I’ve only used the Hey Siri feature a few times, and did not experience that issue.

As far as audio still playing after the car shuts off….It turns off once you open your door if you are by yourself, and once both doors are open if you have a passenger. I actually like it when I’m picking up my daughter from school. If it’s not too hot out, I shut off my engine and open the windows not to waste gas. I like that I can still listen to tunes while I wait. Not sure if this is setting or not.

When you say your garage is working flawlessly, the garage “button” appears automatically as you approach your house?
Hey, sorry for the delay. I must have missed the notification of your reply.

I do the same thing with school pickup and drop off. I know that it shuts off once you open the doors but I'm talking about shutting off if you just stay in the car. IDK how long it is...5min...10min. That doesn't seem to be occurring when using CarPlay. I'll have to try it again.

Regarding the garage door, I mean that it works consistently. With the MyQ and Homebridge scenario I ran into situations where either the MyQ app or Home app wouldn't open the door which force me to manually open the door with the house button to reset it. I've not had an issue with the Meross setup. It's Homekit native and I have it wired up to my Home Assistant.

Appreciate 1
      09-30-2022, 08:19 PM   #17
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Finally got around to setting up Homebridge (https://homebridge.io/) on MacOS and the my-q plugin. I like it! Thanks for the tips guys!
I replaced my MyQ setup with this. You may want to check it out if you run into weird integration issues with MyQ.

Appreciate 1