BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #111
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
....add that to the planning for the wheel gap, fender filling (..e.g. spacers, aggressive offsets, etc.), etc. This is the way it has always been.
Oh c'mon of all the f***ing things to complain about! lol.
Hey, I'm just beating them all to the punch. If I see one more post about wheel gap I'm going to blow my brains out. Lol!

There was even a post about body roll and the car not being on the apex..........on a brochure edited photo. I mean, where does it end?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #112
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Hey, I'm just beating them all to the punch. If I see one more post about wheel gap I'm going to blow my brains out. Lol!

There was even a post about body roll and the car not being on the apex..........on a brochure edited photo. I mean, where does it end?
I didn't mean you my friend. I meant the guy complaining about the shift paddles. I am agreeing.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      03-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #113
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
You "raced" your vehicle with the oem seats ?
I dont think so.
You maybe did a fun trackday but you certainly didnt race anything.
For one thing you cant fit a harness to the oem seat & you aren't competing anywhere in anything without a harness etc.
Yes, I did race them on the track not on the Championship like in the past. When we say racing in here we all know that we are saying amateur fun day.it is not a racing forum, right?

Even so, those seats doesn’t mean that the newM3 is homologated for racing. It is still a amateurish vehicle; having seats that accept harness doen’t mean is ready for race.

So, no didnt race them on tarmac like I used to (Focus, R5, Clio, etc.) when I did racing, and neither your guys in here will race the new M3 on an official race as there is more than just a seat that can accept the harness.

So, we need to narrow it down to the letter? Like, what’s your point since that seat or that seat doesn’t mean “racing” anyway...?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #114
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
You dudes need to get in shape. Lol!
I'm plenty in shape. I just don't want the hassle. Comfort over form in this case.
....but most here are assuming the seats aren't comfortable simply because of the description (...and having no real world experience with them). They may very well be comfortable for extended duration drives.
You're right, it's all conjecture until someone actually sits in one and gives us a real time butt feedback but just looking at them and making an educated guess, these carbon buckets certainly doesn't appear to be comfortable, especially for long distance driving.

That's the trade off with any bucket seats; lighter weight and better aesthetic in exchange for less comfort. Its a simple concept, I'm not sure why the debate, unless a lot of folks are in just wallowing in denial..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      03-02-2021, 04:17 PM   #115
arunym
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 MG SS 6MT

Quote:
I'm plenty in shape. I just don't want the hassle. Comfort over form in this case.
Youre probably also an automatic driver. To each their own for sure. However, why do people get manual cars when they're more of a "hassle"? its for fun, not convenience. Get these seats, they're fun. If youre looking for slow luxury, i think this may be the wrong car...just my opinion. Also, i wonder how many people are shying away because of price only, that would be an interesting insight. What if they were $0 cost, would the non-takers change their mind?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
TheProdigy1042.50
      03-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #116
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunym View Post
Quote:
Youre probably also an automatic driver. To each their own for sure. However, why do people get manual cars when they're more of a "hassle"? its for fun, not convenience. Get these seats, they're fun. If youre looking for slow luxury, i think this may be the wrong car...just my opinion. Also, i wonder how many people are shying away because of price only, that would be an interesting insight. What if they were $0 cost, would the non-takers change their mind?
If they were standard and I had to pay for the non bucket seats I would.
I want fast luxury that can be fun on my own, go on road trips with or to the grocery store, handle the snow in Tahoe and even allow me to hit some casual track days if I feel like it, so it's the perfect car without the buckets for me. The standard seats felt just fine, though I didn't drive it, but I did sit in both. I can't see them reducing the fun at all for what I need; but I can see them ruining the comfort.
      03-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #117
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep
Drives: '21 330i

Friendly reminder that driving a manual doesn't make you superior. Picking carbon buckets also doesn't make you a race car driver. Some people prefer to have more comfort in a daily, especially if it's going to be an M car. Come spend half an hour on any given freeway here in LA and you'll understand what I mean. Good luck with the impatient asshats that'll violently come around and cut you off while you're trying to roll forward. I've commuted in manuals here and while its not exactly impossible, it's not something I'd want to deal with again 5 days out of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #118
safridi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/2018 Focus RS

I wonder if ill be the first over weight person to regret this decision ive made and how horrible my daily driving has become in my brand new manual g80. .....my build just started
Appreciate 1
AGAV13805.50
      03-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #119
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You dudes need to get in shape. Lol!
....but most here are assuming the seats aren't comfortable simply because of the description (...and having no real world experience with them). They may very well be comfortable for extended duration drives.
You're right, it's all conjecture until someone actually sits in one and gives us a real time butt feedback but just looking at them and making an educated guess, these carbon buckets certainly doesn't appear to be comfortable, especially for long distance driving.

That's the trade off with any bucket seats; lighter weight and better aesthetic in exchange for less comfort. Its a simple concept, I'm not sure why the debate, unless a lot of folks are in just wallowing in denial..
I sat in them for an hour and a half ride, believe me, they weren't comfortable for me at all.

Forum members, hear me! Stop reading this thread. Go to nearest BMW dealer. Sit in one. This is the way.

If they do fit you, they are very nice to behold and you should consider them.
Sedan_Clan25106.00
TheProdigy1042.50
Poochie9104.50
      03-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #120
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
You "raced" your vehicle with the oem seats ?
I dont think so.
You maybe did a fun trackday but you certainly didnt race anything.
For one thing you cant fit a harness to the oem seat & you aren't competing anywhere in anything without a harness etc.
Yes, I did race them on the track not on the Championship like in the past. When we say racing in here we all know that we are saying amateur fun day.it is not a racing forum, right?

Even so, those seats doesn't mean that the newM3 is homologated for racing. It is still a amateurish vehicle; having seats that accept harness doen't mean is ready for race.

So, no didnt race them on tarmac like I used to (Focus, R5, Clio, etc.) when I did racing, and neither your guys in here will race the new M3 on an official race as there is more than just a seat that can accept the harness.

So, we need to narrow it down to the letter? Like, what's your point since that seat or that seat doesn't mean "racing" anyway...?
Ok so your answer is NO you didnt race anything as you stated, you drove on track in a track day as i suspected (big difference). Btw some of us do actually compete in motorsport so you probably shouldn't assume that when you state your 'racing' everyone equates that to going on a track day. Thanks for clearing that up.
      03-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #121
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Would love to know how an ///M gets the same shift paddles as a series production vehicle unless you choose a certain option. Cost cutting and nickel and dimming at its finest.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #122
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Who would have thought a pissing contest over the seats of all things.
Appreciate 4
      03-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #123
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Why shouldn't the regular seats be an option here? By spirited, do you mean tracking? I drive my F80 spirited, and have never caught myself thinking, "if only I had CF seats". I actually really like the ones I've sat in in Porsches, and I'm sure they're great for plenty of folks, but everyone?

Also, plenty of cars cost far more, and have chintzy shift paddles. Not sure why they would be special here. I think it's just become standard for many manufacturers to just lazily slap on whatever works. Annoying, but not unique to the G8x. I do feel like they're a bit far away on these interiors.

Thanks for the write up though!
Personally, I think the regular seats are more suited towards a 530 m sport or something of that sort rather than a M3. They were far too luxurious instead of sporty. I think if they had the f8x seats as the standard option and the carbon bucket as the added option, it would be much better off.

By spirited driving I'm referring to any canyon runs or pretty much anything that has some kinds of twists and turns, so a track would more than obviously apply to that.

In terms of the paddles, the F8x had premium paddles that were nice to the touch and unique to the car, wish they replicated that in the regular interior and made the carbon paddles in the carbon interior positioned identical to the f8x paddles.
Paddles for sure perplexed me on new car.

My f80 paddles may not be something special like a Ferrari, but they're placed well, good size and feel good.

New base paddles are unacceptable for a driver's car like this.

Carbon paddles honestly felt very cheap in person and weirdly placed far inwards. Who even makes these decisions, and based on what?

Can you tell I'm annoyed.

It's annoying to have to already plan on aftermarket paddles for either base or carbon replacement.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who expressed concerns over the paddles. Quite a weird move on BMW's hand but I guess it just takes getting used to.
I imagine that the paddle distance is very similar to that on my f36 4 series, and I agree it is a stretch - have always coveted the F80 version. But I've gotten used to it
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #124
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_frankfurter View Post
Friendly reminder that driving a manual doesn't make you superior. Picking carbon buckets also doesn't make you a race car driver. Some people prefer to have more comfort in a daily, especially if it's going to be an M car. Come spend half an hour on any given freeway here in LA and you'll understand what I mean. Good luck with the impatient asshats that'll violently come around and cut you off while you're trying to roll forward. I've commuted in manuals here and while its not exactly impossible, it's not something I'd want to deal with again 5 days out of the week.
I drive the LA freeways in a manual every day. Always have....and every M Car I've ever owned has been a manual. Even my lil' 2021 Toyota Corolla SE commuter car is a manual. You dudes need stronger legs. I always laugh a little at the, "I drive in traffic, so no manual for me" comments, especially considering in Europe people drive MT's in traffic every day; we never hear them complain. That doesn't sound like an enthusiast view of things personally (...but those same people will inconvenience themselves by dropping the car and adding front lips that require a totally different approach to navigating a city street or driveway). The MT/traffic comments just have an aura of laziness to them. I'm mostly poking. Don't bite me!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:04 PM   #125
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
It's the forum nature.......and this isn't the first time. We had a seat pissing match over the ZCP seats just a few years ago. Oh, and let's not forget the pissing matches over HID vs. LED lights.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #126
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
Tomorrow's thread: "Best G80 color"

Just option it how you like
      03-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #127
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep

Quote:
I drive the LA freeways in a manual every day. Always have....and every M Car I've ever owned has been a manual. Even my lil' 2021 Toyota Corolla SE commuter car is a manual. You dudes need stronger legs. I always laugh a little at the, "I drive in traffic, so no manual for me" comments, especially considering in Europe people drive MT's in traffic every day; we never hear them complain. That doesn't sound like an enthusiast view of things personally (...but those same people will inconvenience themselves by dropping the car and adding front lips that require a totally different approach to navigating a city street or driveway). The MT/traffic comments just have an aura of laziness to them. I'm mostly poking. Don't bite me!
That's totally fair. Again, to each their own, I just personally despise driving manual in traffic here. Like you said, it's not a problem, just a matter of preference and calf size . I don't have the patience for it at all, and would just prefer to be lazy on the drive to and from wherever I'm going. I would rather live with a comfy auto as a daily and hop into a manual whenever I get the chance to hit some canyons. Same concept applies for the seats; they gave us two options for a reason. Nobody is better or worse for picking one over the other. No hard feelings here!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
BimmerFix1390.50
      03-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #128
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Tomorrow's thread: "Best G80 color"

Just option it how you like
Funny enough someone started that thread already. Can't wait to see how that goes
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #129
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's totally fair. Again, to each their own, I just personally despise driving manual in traffic here. Like you said, it's not a problem, just a matter of preference and calf size . I don't have the patience for it at all, and would just prefer to be lazy on the drive to and from wherever I'm going. I would rather live with a comfy auto as a daily and hop into a manual whenever I get the chance to hit some canyons. Same concept applies for the seats; they gave us two options for a reason. Nobody is better or worse for picking one over the other. No hard feelings here!
You're totally right. I applaud that BMW is even giving us menu options to mull over that don't break the bank. While I feel Porsche gives too many menu options (...and charges for a glass of tap water), BMW still offers some value meal propositions that are palatable.

#firstworldenthusiastproblems
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2021, 09:30 PM   #130
dr_frankfurter
non-essential
Rep

Quote:
You're totally right. I applaud that BMW is even giving us menu options to mull over that don't break the bank. While I feel Porsche gives too many menu options (...and charges for a glass of tap water), BMW still offers some value meal propositions that are palatable.

#firstworldenthusiastproblems
That's Porsche Dynamic Filtered Water to you. These really are very nice problems to have
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      03-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #131
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Sat in the carbon buckets today. Was excited to try them and have driven my other car with pretty aggressive seats cross country about six months ago so no stranger to these setups. Figured they would add a cool touch especially since this will not be my full time daily.

They were absolutely a no go for me for several reasons. First they pinched at my hips bad. I am 5'10"/190 lbs and there is no way I would want to be in them for longer than 20 minutes because of this. Second the carbon bump in the middle was noticeable, but not quite as annoying in my 5 minutes sitting in it. There were a few other things I wasn't stoked on like the height of the dash/wheel making me want to run the seat higher, but then having to duck under the roofline to get out.

They are absolutely beautifully constructed, add backseat room and are incredibly functional. If you fit, I would highly recommend them, they are just not for me.
Appreciate 3
      03-02-2021, 10:24 PM   #132
TheProdigy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
I did 405 traffic at 5pm in my 6mt m2 for a year, it's not amazing but it's not as bad as everyone makes driving a stick in traffic out to be.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00