home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

03-18-2024, 04:57 AM   #1
migueldelrey
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Spacers newbie question

I've started thinking about spacers for my G82. I am not getting them for any practical or performance reason at all, so it's simply for the looks of it. I imagine perhaps fitting 12 mm for both front and rear. As far as the Internet has been able to show me this is a good measurement for (1) getting a nice improvement in appearance, and (2) not messing too much with the offset while keeping safe from grinding the wheel arches when turning.

Now to the question: What would be the potential consequences of getting these fitted? I'm not track driving my car except for the occasional "weekend casual cocktail track drive". Mainly it's a daily driver. I just want to keep safe of stability- and wear issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:41 AM   #2
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

You should search the forum. Spacers have been discussed at length.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2024, 08:32 AM   #3
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I agree, definitely search for more info. The short answer is, 12mm are going to rub the fender front arch liners in reverse, if you have Pirellis. You can get away with it, if you have Michelin PS4S. I have the BMW 1000M wheels, 285/20 in the front, and they rub in reverse, without spacers on the xDrive. I literally just ordered 2 sets of 13mm spacers, 10 minutes ago. I have 10/12 now, I need more in the front. I have also ordered some screens to cut out the fins and replace them, so nothing rubs. Like this.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2069582

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 03-18-2024 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:34 AM   #4
migueldelrey
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I agree, definitely search for more info. The short answer is, 12mm are going to rub the fender front arch liners in reverse, if you have Pirellis. You can get away with it, if you have Michelin PS4S. I have the BMW 1000M wheels, 285/20 in the front, and they rub in reverse, without spacers on the xDrive. I literally just ordered 2 sets of 13mm spacers, 10 minutes ago. I have 10/12 now, I need more in the front. I have also ordered some screens to cut out the fins and replace them, so nothing rubs. Like this.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2069582
Thanks, I have plowed through a bunch of threads about the rubbing issue as I understand this is a common issue. What I have not been able to find so much information about is whether they can cause any stability- or suspension issues etc. I guess the lack of posts about that specifically indicates that it may be a non-issue.

Great info on the cutouts and replacement screens
I'm on P4S (but xdrive) so it might work if lucky.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      03-18-2024, 11:19 AM   #5
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldelrey View Post
Thanks, I have plowed through a bunch of threads about the rubbing issue as I understand this is a common issue. What I have not been able to find so much information about is whether they can cause any stability- or suspension issues etc. I guess the lack of posts about that specifically indicates that it may be a non-issue.

Great info on the cutouts and replacement screens
I'm on P4S (but xdrive) so it might work if lucky.
PS4S, you should be good. As for stability issues, I'd say the spacers make the car slightly more twitchy and direct.

The spacers move the wheels outward, to the fender edge, or slightly over with wider spacers, slightly changing the driving dynamic.

Although, I suspect you can correct some of the dartiness, aligning the car with the spacers installed.

Appreciate 1