home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

02-02-2024, 04:55 PM   #1
HawkeyeG80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp X-Drive

Wheel alignment AWD

I recently switched my wheel sets from two sets of 19/20 staggered to two squared set ups (winter is 19” squared and summer 20” squared).

For my winter set up (19”) I used the OEM recommended 275/35/R19 tires. In the summer I also use the OEM recommendation for a 20” wheel: 285/30/R20 tires.

I took my car in today and was told an alignment would be a good idea as the inside edges of the front tires are wearing unevenly.
My question is: With the different sizes between summer and winter, will I technically benefit from an alignment every switch between the 2 sets? I would assume not as the difference between the 2 overall sizes is minimal but wanted to make sure with people who know more than me.

While we’re on the AWD subject, if you turn all of the safety/stability settings off (ie put the car into full DCS off) does that put the car 100% into RWD? If this is the case, does the tire size difference between front and rear matter at that point/would too big of a difference cause stress on the differential? When switching from staggered to squared I have 2 summers left that have a little bit of life in them and I’d like to go burn them up before getting 4 new 20” tires
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:07 PM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeG80 View Post
I took my car in today and was told an alignment would be a good idea as the inside edges of the front tires are wearing unevenly.
Where did you take it in? The stock alignment is around -2 degrees so yes the inside edge of the tire will wear out quicker, but front camber isn't adjustable anyway so more money for the shop for doing nothing.
You don't need to do alignments when changing tires/rims even if they're half the size.

You need to set the car to rwd, turning off all the nannies doesn't change it to rwd.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 11:31 PM   #3
HawkeyeG80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Where did you take it in? The stock alignment is around -2 degrees so yes the inside edge of the tire will wear out quicker, but front camber isn't adjustable anyway so more money for the shop for doing nothing.
You don't need to do alignments when changing tires/rims even if they're half the size.

You need to set the car to rwd, turning off all the nannies doesn't change it to rwd.
I took it into the dealership for an oil change and they found it during their routine inspection. I had my suspicions that it needed alignment but didn’t tell them that. They sent a video and you could see the difference on the very inside edge, not the inside 3rd or 4th you’d expect with the normal alignment. Plus there is a noticable wurble” noise that has developed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 02:44 AM   #4
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Not sure what the question is but if you are getting premature wear in front (from toe being off) and the dealer says you need an alignment then it’s pretty clear. Once you get aligned, changing wheels alone does not require another alignment regardless of tire size differences . Also, there is nothing different between alignment on a AWD and RWD car. Regarding 2WD mode, just read the manual on how to do that - it is not a matter of turning off TC.
      02-04-2024, 04:56 PM   #5
HawkeyeG80
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
Not sure what the question is but if you are getting premature wear in front (from toe being off) and the dealer says you need an alignment then it’s pretty clear. Once you get aligned, changing wheels alone does not require another alignment regardless of tire size differences . Also, there is nothing different between alignment on a AWD and RWD car. Regarding 2WD mode, just read the manual on how to do that - it is not a matter of turning off TC.
The question was just whether an alignment was needed switching between wheels. I was told it would be a good idea but that didn’t make sense to me so figured I’d check. Car definitely needs an alignment, there’s no question about that.

As far as putting the car into RWD, I’m aware in how to do that, but not sure whether the 2% difference in overall wheel/tire diameter is still a requirement if keeping the car in RWD.
Appreciate 0