home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

02-02-2024, 06:03 AM   #1
1rmy7
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 G82

Wich wheels should i get?

Hey! Really torn between these 2 models.
The edelweiss are lighter by 3kg each wheel,so 9 kg it total lighter. But i think the zp looks better. Is weight very important? Will it make a difference?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 09:41 AM   #2
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 340i, BMW 2020 M340i,

Those black wheels are gorgeous
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:23 AM   #3
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Edelweiss wheels are NOT forged wheels. Please be aware of this as you make your purchasing decision as non-forged wheels are subject to being destroyed by roads that are not paved well.

And to answer your question - yes, a wheels' weight is fairly important. Losing weight in your wheels means less rotational mass, which improves performance. However, if I'm deciding between cast/hybrid forged wheels that are lighter vs. slightly heavier forged wheels, it's an easy decision - forged wheels all day. I'm not too sure if the ZP wheels are fully forged or not, but base your decision off your need for fully forged wheels or not.

Some places in the world are beautifully paved and can absolutely use hybrid/rotary/flow/yomomma forged wheels, but I always err on the side of caution given that I live in one of the notoriously worst paved roads amongst first world countries.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 01:11 PM   #4
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
2024 M3 Comp X-Drive  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Edelweiss wheels are NOT forged wheels. Please be aware of this as you make your purchasing decision as non-forged wheels are subject to being destroyed by roads that are not paved well.

And to answer your question - yes, a wheels' weight is fairly important. Losing weight in your wheels means less rotational mass, which improves performance. However, if I'm deciding between cast/hybrid forged wheels that are lighter vs. slightly heavier forged wheels, it's an easy decision - forged wheels all day. I'm not too sure if the ZP wheels are fully forged or not, but base your decision off your need for fully forged wheels or not.

Some places in the world are beautifully paved and can absolutely use hybrid/rotary/flow/yomomma forged wheels, but I always err on the side of caution given that I live in one of the notoriously worst paved roads amongst first world countries.
Are you referring to, non forged having a higher chance of damage with potholes vs forged just being stronger in general?

Edit: Really was intringued in the LT3 for sometime now, and now I am not sure how much I should worry that they aren’t forged.
      02-04-2024, 01:16 PM   #5
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post

That was true 30 years ago but today flow form wheels do just fine and many $200k Land Rover owners have them on their autobiography’s. I was one of them and they did fine off-roading in the mud here in Arizona. It’s not like your wheels are made of cheese and will crumble going over a railroad track. That’s simply not true and I have been buying wheels since 1990 and my cars have been in super street and import tuner over the years as well as tracking in California and Hawaii.

It’s an urban legend that folks said back in my day and it seems it’s still going.

Fact is yeah forged are better but that doesn’t mean HRE flow form are shit. Use your head before posting nonsense. Flow forms will most likely last the entire time you own your SUV or car. That’s a fact. Like death and taxes and you don’t have to agree or like it. I have 34 years experience with Volk, HRE, ADVAN etc. forged and FF and even some cast wheels like WEDS and some PDs.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 01:38 PM   #6
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeetyeet View Post
Are you referring to, non forged having a higher chance of damage with potholes vs forged just being stronger in general?

Edit: Really was intringued in the LT3 for sometime now, and now I am not sure how much I should worry that they aren’t forged.
Both. Forged wheels will stand up to potholes better because they're simply stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
That was true 30 years ago but today flow form wheels do just fine and many $200k Land Rover owners have them on their autobiography’s. I was one of them and they did fine off-roading in the mud here in Arizona. It’s not like your wheels are made of cheese and will crumble going over a railroad track. That’s simply not true and I have been buying wheels since 1990 and my cars have been in super street and import tuner over the years as well as tracking in California and Hawaii.

It’s an urban legend that folks said back in my day and it seems it’s still going.

Fact is yeah forged are better but that doesn’t mean HRE flow form are shit. Use your head before posting nonsense. Flow forms will most likely last the entire time you own your SUV or car. That’s a fact. Like death and taxes and you don’t have to agree or like it. I have 34 years experience with Volk, HRE, ADVAN etc. forged and FF and even some cast wheels like WEDS and some PDs.
Ah yes, $200k Land Rover's on 50-65 profile tyres that do well on flow forged wheels are totally comparable to the 25-35 profiles we use on the G80. The fact you say this does not bode well for whatever credentials you claim to have.

Perhaps use your own advice when posting and read more carefully. I stated that they're subject to being destroyed by poorly paved roads - this is factual. I have destroyed flow forged wheels on my F30 335i back in 2016. The reason why I didn't share this information is because it's purely anecdotal, just like yours, and ultimately irrelevant as everyone's experience will vary based on location and other factors.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0