BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

01-31-2024, 09:26 AM   #1
exuberantwombat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Advice for Wheel Swap / Am I doing this right?

I'm a new G80 owner and I've been loving the experience so far. I've already encountered a few issues regarding the summer tires here in MD (it's been very cold the last few weeks except for that random 70F+ day we had) and I already have a set of winter tires on the way. Fitment is not a concern for me as I had a ton of great help sorting that out. This would be the first time I am swapping out a wheel for something that isn't a spare tire. Especially on a luxury/performance vehicle. Since, ostensibly, I will be doing wheel swaps at least twice a year, I want to be equipped to do it at home (no garage for what it's worth) rather than bug friends to use their shop every time. Based on cursory research, here's a list of things that I ordered to perform the swap:

So, please throw darts at the list I just put up. I started getting concerned when I saw some folks talking about things I hadn't considered at all such as: breaker bar, polymer coated sockets, manufacturer recommendation for final torque applied. I don't have a breaker bar or know which one is best to get. I don't know how important polymer coated sockets really are but I understand that you want to avoid scuffing up the wheels. And I really don't have a way to measure applied torque and I would like to know how much of a problem it could be if I overlook this one.

If you guys have recommendations on products I ought to get, I would love to hear them all. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 09:31 AM   #2
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

You need torque wrench!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:12 AM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exuberantwombat View Post
I'm a new G80 owner and I've been loving the experience so far. I've already encountered a few issues regarding the summer tires here in MD (it's been very cold the last few weeks except for that random 70F+ day we had) and I already have a set of winter tires on the way. Fitment is not a concern for me as I had a ton of great help sorting that out. This would be the first time I am swapping out a wheel for something that isn't a spare tire. Especially on a luxury/performance vehicle. Since, ostensibly, I will be doing wheel swaps at least twice a year, I want to be equipped to do it at home (no garage for what it's worth) rather than bug friends to use their shop every time. Based on cursory research, here's a list of things that I ordered to perform the swap:

So, please throw darts at the list I just put up. I started getting concerned when I saw some folks talking about things I hadn't considered at all such as: breaker bar, polymer coated sockets, manufacturer recommendation for final torque applied. I don't have a breaker bar or know which one is best to get. I don't know how important polymer coated sockets really are but I understand that you want to avoid scuffing up the wheels. And I really don't have a way to measure applied torque and I would like to know how much of a problem it could be if I overlook this one.

If you guys have recommendations on products I ought to get, I would love to hear them all. Thanks!
The Harbor Freight Daytona 3-ton rapid pump jack is on sale right now, $30 off with code 68499447 Get this one. It's one of the best and most reliable on the market.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...ack-64779.html

You'll also need some jackpad adapters: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Anod.../dp/B06ZYZJ86J

Get a nice socket set with plastic surrounds so you avoid scratches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09KG9488V/

You don't need or even want to use an impact wrench, perhaps you can use it for undoing the bolts but you want to torque the bolts down to the correct torque, which is 101ft-lb or 140nm. Get a nice torque wrench to do this, I'm quite partial to the MichaelPro click-through https://www.amazon.com/MichaelPro-MP...dp/B0833V88KB/

Procedure is very simple:

1) Loosen the bolts with the car on the ground, just break the tension and do a couple turns

2) Jack the car up to just get the tire off the ground

3) Loosen and remove all bolts, take the wheel off

4) New wheel on, the wheels are hub-centric, so it should be able to sit on the rotor with no bolts in as long as it's on evenly

5) Insert all bolts, hand-tightening all 5 in a star-pattern (do not torque them down)

6) Lower the car down to the ground, then tighten and torque all 5 in a star-pattern to the speced torque, 101ft-lb/140nm. The torque wrench gives an audible "click" when you hit the right torque spec. It's not actually that much torque, so don't be alarmed if you think it's looser than it should be. Tire shops always tend to go ham on the impact wrench which is actually bad and can strip/break bolts if it's not done properly.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 11:03 AM   #4
Luc@Speed&Tech
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, E92 M3, F56 JCW

Get a set of wheel alignment pins. It’ll make the job a thousand times easier especially if you plan to have spacers.

https://ind-distribution.com/product...BoCUroQAvD_BwE

23541 Pebble Run Place, Unit 140
Sterling, VA 20166 (Satellite shop)
Appreciate 3
      01-31-2024, 12:34 PM   #5
exuberantwombat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
The Harbor Freight Daytona 3-ton rapid pump jack is on sale right now, $30 off with code 68499447 Get this one. It's one of the best and most reliable on the market.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...ack-64779.html

You'll also need some jackpad adapters: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Anod.../dp/B06ZYZJ86J

Get a nice socket set with plastic surrounds so you avoid scratches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09KG9488V/

You don't need or even want to use an impact wrench, perhaps you can use it for undoing the bolts but you want to torque the bolts down to the correct torque, which is 101ft-lb or 140nm. Get a nice torque wrench to do this, I'm quite partial to the MichaelPro click-through https://www.amazon.com/MichaelPro-MP...dp/B0833V88KB/

Procedure is very simple:

1) Loosen the bolts with the car on the ground, just break the tension and do a couple turns

2) Jack the car up to just get the tire off the ground

3) Loosen and remove all bolts, take the wheel off

4) New wheel on, the wheels are hub-centric, so it should be able to sit on the rotor with no bolts in as long as it's on evenly

5) Insert all bolts, hand-tightening all 5 in a star-pattern (do not torque them down)

6) Lower the car down to the ground, then tighten and torque all 5 in a star-pattern to the speced torque, 101ft-lb/140nm. The torque wrench gives an audible "click" when you hit the right torque spec. It's not actually that much torque, so don't be alarmed if you think it's looser than it should be. Tire shops always tend to go ham on the impact wrench which is actually bad and can strip/break bolts if it's not done properly.
This is exactly the kind of hand holding I was looking for
I really appreciate you taking the time to lay it out so clearly. Sometimes there's a lot of tribal knowledge when it comes to stuff like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:35 PM   #6
exuberantwombat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc@Speed&Tech View Post
Get a set of wheel alignment pins. It’ll make the job a thousand times easier especially if you plan to have spacers.

https://ind-distribution.com/product...BoCUroQAvD_BwE
I had come across these before in my research already. I think you're right in suggesting these. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:43 PM   #7
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
2024 M3 Comp X-Drive  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
I would also verify that jack works (fits under the vehicle). I just bought the Daytona 3ton from Harbor Freight. Its specifically marketed as a low profile jack as they do have non low profile.
Just a forethought!
      01-31-2024, 12:53 PM   #8
exuberantwombat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

These steps give me a bit of pause. Is it really standard to do final torqueing on the bolts with the full weight of the car already on the wheel? It seems counter-intuitive to me. I would imagine that the weight of the car could cause the wheel to shift slightly and then I may lock in the shifted position when torqueing. I could be wrong since I know the bolts are "cone-seated", if that's at all a word, which could mean the whole thing is self-aligning anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 01:18 PM   #9
Luc@Speed&Tech
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, E92 M3, F56 JCW

Quote:
These steps give me a bit of pause. Is it really standard to do final torqueing on the bolts with the full weight of the car already on the wheel? It seems counter-intuitive to me. I would imagine that the weight of the car could cause the wheel to shift slightly and then I may lock in the shifted position when torqueing. I could be wrong since I know the bolts are "cone-seated", if that's at all a word, which could mean the whole thing is self-aligning anyways.
Hand thread the bolts (can not stress this enough)
Use an impact (low setting) to blast in the bolts while the car is in the air. Or just thread them all in by hand if you're not comfortable with an impact.
Lower it just enough so the tire touches the ground (not full weight, just enough so the wheel doesn't spin when you tighten the bolts).
Do the final torque in a star formation.
Check torque again after 50-100 miles.

23541 Pebble Run Place, Unit 140
Sterling, VA 20166 (Satellite shop)
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 01:33 PM   #10
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe it seems a bit counter-intuitive, but that's the way to do it. You want the torque tightened down with the suspension loaded so you prevent the non-standard forces (not rolling in the direction of the tire) while driving. At least that's the way I've understood it. You also won't be able to torque the bolts in the air since the wheel can spin.

If you hand tighten all the bolts in the air, the wheel will be flush with the rotor, so that's not a concern.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 02:43 PM   #11
exuberantwombat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the clarifications!
Appreciate 0