BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

03-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #45
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Drove an manual m3 today, walked around the M4. I'll add my 2 cents as a buyer and not a car reviewer.

Exterior Impressions: much better looking in person, even the M4 looks better in person. I thought it would look like an M8 (which I don't like), but in fact looks significantly better. Car I saw was an Alpine white, not the best color in pics, but looked pretty good in person, even w/ the black grill being very pronounced with the white paint. Rear tails aren't the best on the M4, it does look like Japanese taillight design.

The M3 was a Toronto red/black. TR looks like an Orange Red, NOT a bright Red as pics would lead you to believe. Shadow line pack contrasts really well with the TR.

Driving impressions:
M3 was nice. Obviously I didn't beat on it, but very easy to drive in comfort mode, personality did change in the Sportiest of modes, but it's not a hardcore car. It's pretty supple ride, quiet cabin, very liveable as a daily.
Shifter did NOT feel like my M2 comp. It was "notchier" and felt like the throws were slightly shorter but still long, like a typical BMW. Clutch was just as springy as the M2C. The stick fell to my hand pretty well, but The arm rest felt awkward.
I did not like the digital gauge cluster at all, but I'm more of an analog guy. Gauges were much better in the Sport mode but still, I wasn't feeling it.
I hated the steering wheel design in pics, but it looks much better in person.
Back seats were really roomy, comfy for 4 adults.

Advice to those ordering sight unseen:
Go look at the colors in person !! TR is not a traditional Red. I'm not going to order one until I see the colors esp IOMG.
I hear aluminum trim gets scratched very easily, opt for the CF.
Shadowline is a very color dependent option, I'd opt not to get it in some colors like the IOMG, where the body color mirrors and spoiler will look better, but it did look good on the Red and white cars. But I might lean away from ordering it.
Regular seats were great, I didn't try the CF ones, but I'm not feeling those especially w/ the CF penis holder.
Exec pack is useless, I would like to see the regular lights in person before ordering.
I hated the 360 camera. It was really awkward to use. Maybe need to get used to it.

Overall: this is a comfy cruiser. Those looking for a hardcore car, will be disappointed; It really is like a better m340. If you're between the M4 and the M3, go for M3, assuming they drive the same. It just looks better and is a more cohesive design.
Props to BMW for trying to save the manuals.

I drove it last week and did beat on it. You can tell it was still in the break in period, but it's a huge step up from my F80, I agree 100% with you evaluation, they did an incredibly job on the interior, the quality of the materials of next level, but the performance of the car.. I was blown away. The automatic is tuned so much better then the M5 Comp, not quite as snappy as the DCT, and a little slower on the downshifts but fabulous. The grip is amazing, shifting into 3rd at 6K WOT I only heard a chirp, it don't twist sideways like my F80 does and it is fasssst. Drove and ordered the same day. The only thing I don't like is the extendable seat cushions for leg length, I do release its been around since for quite some time but, not for me. Also I did sit in an M4 with the carbon bucket seats, maybe if I was 17 again, not 32. I felt like a turtle that got flipped over trying to get out of them, my fiancé would straight up murder me in my sleep.
Appreciate 5
Sublime001137.00
Scorp!on1514.50
bri10425997.50
admranger2984.50
      03-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #46
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
1) gearbox is slightly notchier, slightly more precise and slightly less rubbery than the m2c. I'd give it a 6 to 7 out of 10 in terms of precision. It's not mechanical and does feel disconnected like most newer cars. I have an S2000, that's a 10/10; it's precise and mechanical.

2) steering wasnt noticeably fast and didn't feel overly heavy. I like my steering in comfort, throttle in sport, but quickness of steering is more noticeable on a track.

3) I didn't get to play with steering settings too much.

4) I didnt notice a heated/cooled seat option in the car, I just assumed you can get it on the non carbon seats.
Besides the NA1/NA2 NSX, no shifter comes close to the the S2000. I had an AP2 new back in 2005. That transmission was sublime.
2010 Toyota Prius - stealth mobile 140K miles since new and still 45 MPG
2017 Lexus GX460 - (gone) - easily one of the most reliable cars I?ve ever owned
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport - 270 WHP w/JB4 (gone)
2010 BMW 535i RWD - 400 WHP (gone)
1992 R32 Nissan Skyline GTR 500 WHP (gone)
1993 Toyota Supra TT 6 speed - 500 WHP (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:17 PM   #47
jtc424
Registered
Rep
Drives: Not a bmw yet

Ordered 21 M3 comp (just about loaded) Coming from 19 M5 comp, you think I’ll be disappointed?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #48
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc424 View Post
Ordered 21 M3 comp (just about loaded) Coming from 19 M5 comp, you think I’ll be disappointed?
Not at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #49
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc424 View Post
Prob not. It's a better overall package.
Appreciate 0