BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #265
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

I'm not 100% I'm not just imagining this....but with my G82 I feel like the AC / temperature control is inconsistent between morning versus afternoon. For my morning commute I always feel like it's barely blowing, I have to set it to high or lower the temperature a decent amount. But for the evening commute, that same level from before is immediately cold. Does anyone else have a similar case? Is there some sort of auto-adjusting that bmw is doing between morning / afternoon?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:21 PM   #266
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Am I the only one that is annoyed that a majority of this thread is just questions/comments about ID7, or at least ID7 as it relates to an M car (i.e. m modes, setup, etc.)??? I mean, sure most came from the F8x platform so there's a big change to the UI, but if you sat in almost any BMW (F87 might be the only outlier at this point) after they stopped production on the F80, you would have had these answers.
Some of us have not been in any modern BMW in any capacity other than being a passenger, and that was a year ago for me. The fact the country has been basically closed for a year so we can't just pop down and play with another 3 series as well, or that tests drives are impossible in some areas for the G8X, and even when I did see the car it was on a time limit as it had to be cleaned for the next people after, so it's helpful to ask here for a lot of people and seemingly there are plenty happy to help.
      04-07-2021, 12:37 PM   #267
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
Quote:
Am I the only one that is annoyed that a majority of this thread is just questions/comments about ID7, or at least ID7 as it relates to an M car (i.e. m modes, setup, etc.)??? I mean, sure most came from the F8x platform so there's a big change to the UI, but if you sat in almost any BMW (F87 might be the only outlier at this point) after they stopped production on the F80, you would have had these answers.
Some of us have not been in any modern BMW in any capacity other than being a passenger, and that was a year ago for me. The fact the country has been basically closed for a year so we can't just pop down and play with another 3 series as well, or that tests drives are impossible in some areas for the G8X, and even when I did see the car it was on a time limit as it had to be cleaned for the next people after, so it's helpful to ask here for a lot of people and seemingly there are plenty happy to help.
Yeah, agree with this. I was able to test drive, but a quick test drive vs hours of daily driving is totally different. What may seem cool, or useless during a test drive might be completely different in day to day life.

I feel like the "professional" reviews have done a good job at reviewing how it performs on a track. Now actual owners are reporting on the "mundane" that would never be covered in a review, but are also interesting and helpful.

So, if you don't find the value of this thread, just don't read it.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #268
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Yeah, I think "mundane" is spot on. It's the little things we're all curious about now. I'd imagine if so many of us were not waiting to order, as I can't even do that yet for the awd, we wouldn't be jonesing so much for tiny details
      04-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #269
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
I suppose I was just hoping for more focused questions that those without these specific cars might share an interest knowing the answer to. Instead, it's more quirks and features Doug DeMuro would mention repetitively on every car review in the BMW lineup.

Tech-wise, I believe the only thing new to the G8x is the drift analyzer and 10-step M traction control when opting for M drive pro, everything else is old news.

Anyway, happy to see people sharing experiences since many other parts of the forums are relatively dead.
Jcali861479.00
      04-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #270
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Yeah, I think "mundane" is spot on. It's the little things we're all curious about now. I'd imagine if so many of us were not waiting to order, as I can't even do that yet for the awd, we wouldn't be jonesing so much for tiny details
Yes! For me, I'm waiting on the G83. It will be my 3rd M3/4, but first ever convertible. I check Bimmerpost several times a day hoping the G83 order guide is out!
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
Jcali861479.00
      04-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #271
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimab0 View Post
I'm not 100% I'm not just imagining this....but with my G82 I feel like the AC / temperature control is inconsistent between morning versus afternoon. For my morning commute I always feel like it's barely blowing, I have to set it to high or lower the temperature a decent amount. But for the evening commute, that same level from before is immediately cold. Does anyone else have a similar case? Is there some sort of auto-adjusting that bmw is doing between morning / afternoon?
That's a BMW thing with the new temperature control settings (although my F80 did it too). When you first start up the car (especially from a cold start), it has a lag before it will allow the max fan to kick in. Drives me nuts since when it's been in the sun it's hot and I want max AC right away. If you set it to high, it will kick in after a few minutes of driving. I'm sure it's fuel economy or battery conservation driven.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #272
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My8thMandcounting View Post
Quote:
That's a BMW thing with the new temperature control settings (although my F80 did it too). When you first start up the car (especially from a cold start), it has a lag before it will allow the max fan to kick in. Drives me nuts since when it's been in the sun it's hot and I want max AC right away. If you set it to high, it will kick in after a few minutes of driving. I'm sure it's fuel economy or battery conservation driven.
I haven't tried it, but you can set a "pre-ventilate" or ventilation schedule on the car using the connected app, so if you know you're leaving at xx time you can cool the car down. I have no idea how well it works and if it uses the actual AC, it hasn't been hot enough to try yet
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #273
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My8thMandcounting View Post
Very well may be, but I notice it's still an issue 30min into my drive. By then I expect things would have warmed up? Not worst thing, but slightly annoying when left on 'auto' mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #274
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

If you plug something into the USB slot in the center console does it then block you from getting your phone into the charger behind that port?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #275
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
If you plug something into the USB slot in the center console does it then block you from getting your phone into the charger behind that port?
I assume you mean for a manual. No, the phone charger in the console is close to flush against the side wall of the center console. There is still plenty of room left for other things.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #276
Jdrid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Can someone explain to me what is different about the center console area between the MT and the Comp? More specifically, why does the MT need the wireless charger in the armrest where the Comp has a tray in the front? If anyone has a picture of the MT with the cover flipped up that would be perfect too, I've only been able to find photos of Comps with that area open. My dealer only had a Comp when I ordered my MT so I couldn't compare the two.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #277
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdrid View Post
Can someone explain to me what is different about the center console area between the MT and the Comp? More specifically, why does the MT need the wireless charger in the armrest where the Comp has a tray in the front? If anyone has a picture of the MT with the cover flipped up that would be perfect too, I've only been able to find photos of Comps with that area open. My dealer only had a Comp when I ordered my MT so I couldn't compare the two.
I have a MT. I drove the Comp in SC for a day. They're similar. I don't know why there exists the difference in design. The tray in front of the cupholders is maybe 2 inches less deep in the MT compared to the Comp. My phone fit comfortably in that try in the Comp, but does not fit in the MT. The armrest center console is basically the same as far as I can tell, except that there is a wireless charger in it for the MT. Does that help?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #278
Jdrid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
I have a MT. I drove the Comp in SC for a day. They're similar. I don't know why there exists the difference in design. The tray in front of the cupholders is maybe 2 inches less deep in the MT compared to the Comp. My phone fit comfortably in that try in the Comp, but does not fit in the MT. The armrest center console is basically the same as far as I can tell, except that there is a wireless charger in it for the MT. Does that help?
That definitely helps, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #279
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdrid View Post
It must be something to do with space required for the transmissions or something. Definitely that tray + cup holders seem a bit squeezed in the 6MT. If I have my drink bottle in there I whack my hand on it when I change gears, which is aggravating
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #280
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
It must be something to do with space required for the transmissions or something. Definitely that tray + cup holders seem a bit squeezed in the 6MT. If I have my drink bottle in there I whack my hand on it when I change gears, which is aggravating
Yes, same problem. Normal yeti / coffee mug does not fit there comfortably. It's kind of annoying. But I also didn't get the car for its cup holders. On that note, I promptly disabled the gesture controls after they kept picking up on me shifting gears, thinking that I wanted to skip songs or something.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #281
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
I haven't tried it, but you can set a "pre-ventilate" or ventilation schedule on the car using the connected app, so if you know you're leaving at xx time you can cool the car down. I have no idea how well it works and if it uses the actual AC, it hasn't been hot enough to try yet
I have used this a dozen or so times and works great
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #282
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Very well may be, but I notice it's still an issue 30min into my drive. By then I expect things would have warmed up? Not worst thing, but slightly annoying when left on 'auto' mode.
I too have been quite annoyed by the auto climate control in the newer cars. I'd imagine your morning situation where it is blowing less is just due to the sun and ambient temperature being less of a factor.

I believe the issue is that the fan control is not 100% controlled by the fan control like it was on previous cars. The ability to control the fan speed while using auto was something I always liked about BMW; it was simple, direct, and predictable before. It still somewhat works like this, but now they made it "smart" and less direct, presumably for efficiency purposes. While you could still control the fan while in auto mode, it will modulate the fan speed relative to what you chose depending on the temperature delta.

For instance, if you first get in the car and have the cabin set to 70 degrees in auto with the fan at level 3 and the upper vents set to cold (my typical setup), you may notice the fan start to level out a bit once the cabin reaches temp. You could shift the fan up to level 4 and notice a little change, or set the temp down to 65 degrees while keeping the fan at level 3 and notice a much more substantial change.

Before, they achieved this with a more constant fan speed which meant blowing cold air at my face as I selected and hot air at my feet. Inefficient, yes, but certainly what I was telling the system I wanted.

Now, on warm days I just find myself setting the cabin temp much lower than I typically would, and having to adjust it lower and lower throughout a longer haul to keep the cold air blasting at my face... not my definition of "auto", but more like the "auto" you'll find with other manufacturers. Similarly, if I want to keep the windows down on a nice 50 degree day up here, I have to set the temp to "HI" with the fan cranked all the way up to get what setting the temp to 74 + fan to level 4 was before. This will eventually get too hot and dry out my eyes, but if I set the new system to 80 with fan at level 4 and upper vents on hot in this situation, the fan will eventually slow itself down, and get defeated by the exterior cold.

Perhaps we need an M climate control button to counteract the new efficiencies?
      04-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #283
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
I assume you mean for a manual. No, the phone charger in the console is close to flush against the side wall of the center console. There is still plenty of room left for other things.
Oh, is there a difference between the manual and auto for the placement of it? I guess I didn't realize that. I'm getting the auto.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 04:40 PM   #284
DecemberStorm
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C

Quote:
I suppose I was just hoping for more focused questions that those without these specific cars might share an interest knowing the answer to. Instead, it's more quirks and features Doug DeMuro would mention repetitively on every car review in the BMW lineup.

Tech-wise, I believe the only thing new to the G8x is the drift analyzer and 10-step M traction control when opting for M drive pro, everything else is old news.

Anyway, happy to see people sharing experiences since many other parts of the forums are relatively dead.
bruh of course its all old news when you already got a M8 and X7 in the driveway

Also some of the more M-specific details are sparse from our user base until more have broken in... I'm over that hump next Monday.
      04-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #285
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I can't recall if anybody ever responded regarding a built in hard drive to save music like the E9X or F8X had.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #286
miles_early
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, G05 X5, E46 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_early View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick776 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_early View Post
I have, been using iphone to get in/out and start. I also keep cc style key in my wallet as a back-up. So far so good with just the phone
What about the lag/delay (reaction time) the previous poster mentioned? Is it an issue for you?
Initially yes. I figured out that you need to hold the phone against the right portion of the handle, adjacent to the circular sensor. It also works much better without a phone case.
Do you have an Apple Watch? My hope is the door is easier to open with the watch.
I don't. I have a brand new x5 as well and the tech seems to be even more impressive in m3. It notifies me when approaching red light cams, my x5 does not
Appreciate 0