BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-13-2022, 02:05 PM   #45
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustion.com View Post
Yes, that's right.
I just wanted to say that such car would not feel nice to drive, since its pulling force would be low from cca 120km/h and up...

Actually everyone can simply try:
drive your car normally up to 4th gear. Then shift directly to the 6th gear.
(Surely if 5th gear would feel like 6th feels today, they would also adjust the other gears, but you would effectively drive the car with lower horsepower. Why? Because the power of the car that you feel actually comes from the energy of burned fuel; and this energy is the integral of power on the P(ω) chart, considering that in gears with higher characteristic you need more time to reach higher rpm).
(yes, I simplified the part with the fuel and let's not get into details regarding correlation of the ω and time, so it doesn't get overcomplicated)
Yep, I think we're on the same page now. And yes, if fifth were taller, then they'd have to space out 2nd - 4th as well to make it more linear ... which would reduce effective torque by those gears, but likely only marginally. (I personally think 1st can be taller as well.)

... or they could just add a 7th. But we all know there's no way BMW is going to make that investment.
      06-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #46
ToMorNotToM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BSM G80 M3

Completely agree on brake noise and brake dust. I slowed down for a speed bump the other day and a pedestrian jumped and looked back like they heard a gun shot. And the dust is seriously making me investigate ceramic coating for my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 02:29 PM   #47
Neles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMorNotToM View Post
Completely agree on brake noise and brake dust. I slowed down for a speed bump the other day and a pedestrian jumped and looked back like they heard a gun shot. And the dust is seriously making me investigate ceramic coating for my wheels.
Won't make any meaningful difference.
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #48
bustion.com
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I know I’m an idiot because I saw that w-looking character and thought of boobs

I would just like to say the world is much better place from your perspective.
Appreciate 2
yousefnjr6172.50
      06-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #49
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMorNotToM View Post
I ceramic coated my wheels and calipers. After about two weeks of no wash and normal driving, the wheels got dirty but not my calipers. The big difference for me was that the dust doesn't get caked on the wheels. I spray on Gtechniq's iron and fallout remover (try not to get it on the brakes) and let it sit for a minute if that and just hose it off. I literally don't scrub anything, I just grab an MF towel to make sure the product is evenly on the wheel. Has made cleaning significantly easier!

I'm thinking about doing an experiment these next few weeks to see if just hosing down the wheels weekly is sufficient to get the dust off.

Update: No it does not. Still easier to clean though.

Last edited by Nate.G82; 06-14-2022 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2022, 04:00 PM   #50
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Yep, I think we're on the same page now. And yes, if fifth were taller, then they'd have to space out 2nd - 4th as well to make it more linear ... which would reduce effective torque by those gears, but likely only marginally. (I personally think 1st can be taller as well.)

... or they could just add a 7th. But we all know there's no way BMW is going to make that investment.
Good point.
I agree the 1st gear could be a tad taller for normal on-road driving, but the current short gearing is useful for slow parking lot maneuvering and steep inclines without using much throttle.
Me personally, I'll take maybe 10% taller 6th gear and be perfectly content with it.
I'm okay with cruising around 3k rpm on local roads on 4th or 5th gear anyway.

Nit-picking, yes. I'm just happy I have a brand new 6MT M car.
Appreciate 3
      06-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #51
Ed_P
EdP
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

for me @ 7 months and 9k miles....

Startup screen, brake squeal, interior rattles, flattening seats > never had issues

Brake dust, cup holders, comfort access, hitting the M2 button twice > I understand the nits, but for me, they are truly trivial.

Gesture Control - I don't have it.

Gear Ratio - this one, I sorta get. I have no issues with the rpm at highway speeds, but I can see how this might become a little tiresome on long drives. And 1st gear is a little short, which makes the 1-2 shift feel a little chore-like in daily driving.

I will add one: limited fuel range. an extra 4-5 gallon capacity would have been nice.

That said, I am VERY happy with this car. I could see myself leasing another one.
Appreciate 4
      06-13-2022, 10:52 PM   #52
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

1200 miles light brake squeal

And I could careless (not couldn't) because I think I'll careless tomorrow

When I hear it I think I'm pulling into the pits for a tire change and fuel then back out
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 11:36 PM   #53
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
brake squeal annoys me sometimes, esp. with windows down. But then I get harder on the brakes and it goes away, so I think the squealing is the car telling me to play hard .
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3403.50
      06-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #54
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I have a 2021 M4 manual and the only things that drive me crazy are:
- CDV: It's horrible, I can't wait to remove it
- ASD: I can't stand the artificial exhaust. I'm actually considering wiring the exhaust flaps open and then hitting the exhaust button after start up

Regarding the lane change assist every time I get in the car I press and hold it to turn it all off. (Same with hitting the M2 button)

The cup holders can be a bit of a pain but there are decent ones in the doors as well. At least they hold drinks/coffee really well.

Overall this is my favourite car I've ever owned. With the CDV delete it should be so much better from a shift quality perspective.
      06-14-2022, 08:22 PM   #55
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

Rolling in the Blackwing the other day (4) and thought of this thread. Plenty of bandwith here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 09:01 PM   #56
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
1200 miles light brake squeal

When I hear it I think I'm pulling into the pits for a tire change and fuel then back out
Car is absolutely amazing!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:16 PM   #57
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's right.
I just wanted to say that such car would not feel nice to drive, since its pulling force would be low from cca 120km/h and up...

Actually everyone can simply try:
drive your car normally up to 4th gear. Then shift directly to the 6th gear.
(Surely if 5th gear would feel like 6th feels today, they would also adjust the other gears, but you would effectively drive the car with lower horsepower. Why? Because the power of the car that you feel actually comes from the energy of burned fuel; and this energy is the integral of power on the P(ω) chart, considering that in gears with higher characteristic you need more time to reach higher rpm).
(yes, I simplified the part with the fuel and let's not get into details regarding correlation of the ω and time, so it doesn't get overcomplicated)

Ditto
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #58
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJt3xtbook View Post
First things first, there's many things I love about this car, but this thread is specifically regarding criticisms of my 2021 BMW M4 G82 6MT. Some of these may be specific to my build date/year, but hoping this feedback provides some useful information. This isn't a rant...just some honest feedback about my car.

Silver X3 on screen at startup - I have a BSM M4, but I briefly see a silver X3 on my screen at startup about 5-7% of the time. It's very brief (second or less) before it shows my BSM M4. I get that much of the tech is shared between BMW models, but it does bother me slightly each time I see that damn silver X3 pop up on my screen.

Brake squeal & dust - I get that we have 'performance' brakes, but this is my daily driver as well. I'm not trying to heat up my brakes to racing temps when driving a couple miles to get groceries. It's terrible to hear the screech/squeal when my brakes are cold which is often. Adding on to this is the infamous BMW brake dust on my black wheels. I swear it only takes about 100 miles or less after a car wash that I see the brake dust adding layer after layer until the front wheels look brown. I often have to opt to get a car wash early when the rest of my car is still fairly clean, just for the brake dust.

Cup Holders - Eff these cup holders....especially since I have a 6MT. If I'm by myself, I have to use the passenger side cup holder, but my knuckles still hit the cup when I try to get into 3rd and 5th gears. I frequently have a passenger and if we both have drinks, I need to use the cupholder on my side where my 1st gear suffers as well. I get that I could hold the shifter differently, but I've been driving manual for years and old habits die hard. I refuse hold the shift knob like I'm holding a teacup or picking up dirty underwear because BMW wants to put the cupholders in a terrible area.

Comfort Access Issues - I like to keep my key in my pocket, but around 1-2% of the time, it won't detect that it's there and I either have to tug on the handle twice to open the door or pull my key out of my pocket and hit the unlock button. I also have 'comfort' issues with the locking as well. For example, if I get out and close the door and walk more than 5 feet away before my passenger closes their door, then I have to take the key out and lock the door manually. Similar situation with the trunk if I hit the button to close it and walk more than 5 feet away before it closes. Neither situation is the end of the world, but just annoying that I have to monitor to see if the comfort access is doing it's job every time.

Wireless Charging - This is the absolute worst. I only used it a few times before giving in to just using a wired charger in the car. First of all, it's not the easiest to open the center console to clip the phone in a very specific spot to take the phone in/out (compared to my girlfriend's Tesla where you just easily throw it in the front area). Secondly is that the charging is horrendous. Granted I was using GPS at the time, but I remember one trip where I ended up with LESS battery on my phone than when I started (never have an issue like this using the wired charger). Lastly, it makes my phone SUPER hot. It's very hot to the touch (can't be good for the phone/battery) and almost too hot to put in my pocket when I exit the car. I haven't used the wireless charger in over a year and don't plan to ever again.

Gesture Control - Used it for about a month or two and turned this setting off permanently. It would pick up unintentional hand signals from me or my passenger (e.g. I'll be pointing for my passenger to look at something and it will skip to the next song) and then wouldn't pick up intentional gestures at other times. I also started feeling really silly making tiny circles in the air with my finger to change the volume when I had a much easier time just doing it manually with the buttons on the steering wheel or the knob on the dash.

M2 button setting - I have my M2 setting to my liking and I have to remember to hit that button twice every time I start my car. Some of it is user error where I might hit it too fast and won't register my second click and not go to M2 setting. Because this happens occasionally, I might hit the M2 button too many times and it goes back to the regular setting. Or it might be that I turned my car off when picking someone up, but didn't get out of my car. Then I start the car and it's already in M2 setting I guess because I didn't exit the car, so it goes out of M2 and I have to re-enter it. Sometimes it seems that it reverts back to the original settings by itself during a drive, even though I'm pretty sure I set it to M2. The point of this is, I wish there was some way to just retain the setting I want at all times instead of having to set it each time. Believe it or not, this has caused some safety issues for me. My M2 button is set to have the driver lane assist OFF. If I'm driving down a road where I don't have anyone around me, I might make a lane change without using my turn signal (I know, I'm the worst). Especially in situations where the apex of a curve takes me from the outside lane to the inside lane, I might accidentally have the lane assist ON and it will pull me back into the outside lane where there could be sidewalk or guard rail that it points me towards.

Interior rattles - Fortunately, I had no markup on my car, but for a 80K 'luxury' vehicle, I have way too many random rattling noises in my cabin. The noises are pretty tame and it's not extremely terrible, but it is very noticeable even at idle.

Gear Ratio - I realize that there are tunes and whatnot to set this to my liking, but I feel that even the stock gearing for an "M" vehicle should be pretty good as is. First gear seems extremely short for me and I feel like I'm hitting redline and need to switch to 2nd gear immediately. Even the most professional manual driver can't help but lose some speed when shifting from 1st to 2nd when compared to an automatic transmission, so I feel like there is some early momentum lost off the line. This takes me to the 6th gear....As my daily driver, there many situations where I'm humming along at 80-100MPH in 6th on the highway. If I'm driving a long distance and just cruising, I can't help but think that I could use a 7th or 8th gear like my automatic transmission brethren to have a lower RPM noise and save some gas.

Flattening seats - I have the standard (non carbon bucket) seats and noticed a flat section developing on the side of the bolster in the driver's seat. I'm fairly average in build (5'11" and 180lbs), so I don't think that I'm too "big" for this seat. I've had many more miles/seat time in other cars and never had this issue.
Nice write up
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:18 PM   #59
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I had two rattles on mine, both of which started up about 9 months into owning the car. One was in the door (it sounded like a loose wire), the other was around the instrument cluster.

I attempted to have the dealership handle them at my 1-year service and they are apparently deaf (couldn't replicate).

However, they did pop the door card and look around...which solved the door issue.

The instrument cluster vibration magically disappeared about two weeks ago. It was never that bad, just annoying because it was right in front of me. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't magically come back.

I also had to shut off Gesture Control...I was triggering it when shifting. The cup holders are also something of an issue, but I've had worse in other cars so I'm not really complaining as there really isn't anywhere else to put them.

Brake dust. Sigh. No one is going to disagree with you on this one. On the plus side, the matte gray of the 963M's don't show the dust as distinctly as the black 826's do.

Wireless charging. I had an iPhone XS for years and the wireless charging worked fine. I recently switched to Pixel 6 Pro and, yep, it's basically useless. Probably due to the much larger battery in the Pixel vs. my old Fruit Phone. The fruit was easier to charge.
Lol fruit phone
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:55 PM   #60
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4 View Post
Rolling in the Blackwing the other day (4) and thought of this thread. Plenty of bandwith here.
I really really love the Blackwing duo. I'm sincerely planning for one (5) in 2024. I've already started talking to a dealer. Enjoy your car in great health.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 07:16 AM   #61
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
I really really love the Blackwing duo. I'm sincerely planning for one (5) in 2024. I've already started talking to a dealer. Enjoy your car in great health.
Thank you Sir. The car is so fun to drive. Fast, super handling, comfortable. I posted a little more in the general automotive forum, with some thoughts compared to the M4 I have on order. The 5 is an absolute beast, and I technically still have one on order, but won't get it if I keep the M4. My best advice is choose a dealer that gets lots of allocation and sells at MSRP, regardless of which state they are in
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 10:04 AM   #62
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM4 View Post
Thank you Sir. The car is so fun to drive. Fast, super handling, comfortable. I posted a little more in the general automotive forum, with some thoughts compared to the M4 I have on order. The 5 is an absolute beast, and I technically still have one on order, but won't get it if I keep the M4. My best advice is choose a dealer that gets lots of allocation and sells at MSRP, regardless of which state they are in
Exactly, already started mobilizing my forces for a war in the trenches to get that MSRP pricing lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 10:36 AM   #63
FloridaMan_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Because the torque applied to the wheel would be notably lower, so the car won't pull as nicely in the 5th gear.
It's a moot point, and we're speaking in hypotheticals, of course, but why would the torque be any lower in fifth? i.e. if fifth gear had the same gear ratio as sixth does today, and then sixth were taller, how would the overall torque at the wheels be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakatos View Post
Imagine an 8speed manual �� id be all about it
Well, sure, Porsche does have a 7MT option for the 911, though it doesn't seem to get as much love as the 6MT in GT3. Having five columns with double-doglegs (R, 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7) does make it a little more trickier to learn and use.
Yeah that is a good point but dang it would be fun. Maybe 8 speed gated except it would look huge in the shifter column lol
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 11:52 PM   #64
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 COMPETITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dJt3xtbook View Post
First things first, there's many things I love about this car, but this thread is specifically regarding criticisms of my 2021 BMW M4 G82 6MT. Some of these may be specific to my build date/year, but hoping this feedback provides some useful information. This isn't a rant...just some honest feedback about my car.

Silver X3 on screen at startup - I have a BSM M4, but I briefly see a silver X3 on my screen at startup about 5-7% of the time. It's very brief (second or less) before it shows my BSM M4. I get that much of the tech is shared between BMW models, but it does bother me slightly each time I see that damn silver X3 pop up on my screen.

Brake squeal & dust - I get that we have 'performance' brakes, but this is my daily driver as well. I'm not trying to heat up my brakes to racing temps when driving a couple miles to get groceries. It's terrible to hear the screech/squeal when my brakes are cold which is often. Adding on to this is the infamous BMW brake dust on my black wheels. I swear it only takes about 100 miles or less after a car wash that I see the brake dust adding layer after layer until the front wheels look brown. I often have to opt to get a car wash early when the rest of my car is still fairly clean, just for the brake dust.

Cup Holders - Eff these cup holders....especially since I have a 6MT. If I'm by myself, I have to use the passenger side cup holder, but my knuckles still hit the cup when I try to get into 3rd and 5th gears. I frequently have a passenger and if we both have drinks, I need to use the cupholder on my side [...]
I think BMW took your advice about the 7th and 8th gear. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 11:32 PM   #65
stark_c
Rep
Drives: 2022 6MT G82

I concur on most points. The gear ratio is a bit ridiculous. First gear is way too short, fifth is useless, they should use 6th as the 5 and add in a high speed cruising gear
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 01:32 AM   #66
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Remember folks you NEVER buy a first year production vehicle. That should be common sense by now. Apparently it’s not for some.

Secondly I only have one of your issues which is common. The brake squeal. I honestly don’t care but all your other gripes are for your year specific IMO, thus you shouldn’t have bought a first year production car. They always will have issues and problems. All known.
Appreciate 0