BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #23
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yes2pfs View Post
Does anyone have an estimate to do PPF an entire M3?
Also, what would be the purpose to do ceramic if you PPF the entire car? I would think the PPF would be in place of ceramic?
You'll pay anywhere from $6k-$10K to get a full PPF wrap on an M3. What's the difference in price? Mostly surface prep (1 or 2 step polishing before applying the film), whether they freehand the pieces or use a plotter for fitment, and how much of the car gets removed to ensure good coverage.

I saw a $6K wrap on a $200K GT3 a month ago at a car show, and they had cutouts for the logos and the lights and all you could see were the edges of the film. Compare that to a more expensive wrap where they remove logos, spoilers, tail lights, door handles, window trim etc to make sure you can't see the edges and you suddenly realize the time difference and therefore a higher cost.

Its another one of those things that you get what you pay for.

In terms of Ceramic coating, its worth it to add on top of the film for reasons stated above - it makes the car more hydrophobic and easier to clean. Some films even have a coating already baked in.
Appreciate 1
JMU_BMW152.50
      07-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #24
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yes2pfs View Post
Does anyone have an estimate to do PPF an entire M3?
Also, what would be the purpose to do ceramic if you PPF the entire car? I would think the PPF would be in place of ceramic?
Maybe 6 G's for the whole car
I was quoted $6200 for ceramic tint + full XPEL. I can double check again

if your in Hosuton I can DM you the installers information. They are very good as I've done work with them in the past
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #25
Sinjen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grigio Telesto '22 M4CX

I paid $7k for full Xpel stealth/ultimate on my F-Type. 100% worth it. I had a rock hit a headlight on the freeway and it went clear through the PPF covering the light. The light itself was unmarked. It would have absolutely at least chipped, if not fully cracked the housing otherwise. Reapplied that piece and that was that. It's gone through 4 CT winters and not skipped a beat. Easier to clean, the paint underneath is flawless, and the stealth looks dope. I may not do stealth on my incoming G82 as it's an indiv color and I want to switch it up, but full PPF on every surface is a must IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #26
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjen View Post
I paid $7k for full Xpel stealth/ultimate on my F-Type. 100% worth it. I had a rock hit a headlight on the freeway and it went clear through the PPF covering the light. The light itself was unmarked. It would have absolutely at least chipped, if not fully cracked the housing otherwise. Reapplied that piece and that was that. It's gone through 4 CT winters and not skipped a beat. Easier to clean, the paint underneath is flawless, and the stealth looks dope. I may not do stealth on my incoming G82 as it's an indiv color and I want to switch it up, but full PPF on every surface is a must IMO.
Couldn't agree more!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #27
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I was quoted $6200 for ceramic tint + full XPEL. I can double check again

if your in Hosuton I can DM you the installers information. They are very good as I've done work with them in the past
I'm in Houston as well - mind DMing me the installer's information? Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #28
yes2pfs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp Alpine Wht

Thanks for all the info. I’m located in the suburbs of Philadelphia if anyone has suggested shops to consider.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #29
hockeygoalie35
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp XDrive

Quote:
Out of curiosity, where did you get it done?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #30
Sinjen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoalie35 View Post
Quote:
Out of curiosity, where did you get it done?
Panache Auto Werke in Stratford.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #31
M4-CPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi coupe mSport

I got the full front XPEL wrapped, plus rocker panels, mirrors, and behind the wheels. On top of that I did 4 layers of Ceramic Pro 9H.

I was told not to wash the car for two weeks while the coating hardened and cured.

A few days in, snd my car is starting to get mighty dirty with regular daily driving. Did everyone wait the entire two weeks to wash, or would it hurt to lightly power-wash off?

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #32
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4-CPA View Post
I got the full front XPEL wrapped, plus rocker panels, mirrors, and behind the wheels. On top of that I did 4 layers of Ceramic Pro 9H.

I was told not to wash the car for two weeks while the coating hardened and cured.

A few days in, snd my car is starting to get mighty dirty with regular daily driving. Did everyone wait the entire two weeks to wash, or would it hurt to lightly power-wash off?

Any thoughts?
I've never waited that long or have been told to wait that long. Think you are fine. Maybe don't power wash yet? Use a regular hose for this wash. I only use my power washer for the foam cannon. Then go to regular hose for rinse off.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #33
Savage_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Looks great!

How's the maintenance for the Xpel Stealth? Is it the same as a Frozen or Matte paint finish? Handwash with special shampoo, special waxes/treatments, etc.

I hate losing the ability to use a quick touchless carwash in a bind...
      07-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #34
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_M3 View Post
Looks great!

How's the maintenance for the Xpel Stealth? Is it the same as a Frozen or Matte paint finish? Handwash with special shampoo, special waxes/treatments, etc.

I can't speak for Xpel but most matte wraps have an outer later that acts just like regular film and sometimes is even self-healing so you'll be fine with a touchless wash. The caveat is sometimes the pressure could lift an edge if you don't let it fully adhere first. That's where I've seen the 2 week suggestion come up before.
Appreciate 1
Savage_M3301.00
      07-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #35
Sinjen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_M3 View Post
Quote:
Looks great!

Only real requirement is to hand wash. But most are doing that anyway…obviously don't drag your car through an automatic car wash. I've used everything from waterless wash in winter, to the standard stuff from Ammo, Adams etc. There are specific chemicals to keep off it (particular waxes) and your installer can tell you. I'm not a crazy car detailer guy and basic washing has always been good to me.

Installed properly, it's EXTREMELY resilient stuff. Especially if you ceramic coat over it.
Appreciate 1
Savage_M3301.00
      08-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #36
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Does anyone lease and put full PPF on their car?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:22 PM   #37
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
I'm picking up my car at PCD and talked to extreme colors auto spa. Going with Full PPF for the exact reasons above. I also have ordered an individual color.
Extreme colors wraps all the PCD cars so I figured they know what they are doing.

When I get it home I have a local place I plan on having ceramic applied.

Full wrap is worth it for me. Been waiting to be able to order this car and I want to protect it.

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #38
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Does anyone lease and put full PPF on their car?
No, doesn't make sense, unless you plan on buying out the lease. You're basically just over-protecting the car for the next owner. BMW certainly appreciates the protection of their vehicle.

But I'd still do Full Front PPF, but even that's a questionable decision, especially on a low-mileage lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #39
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektechlive View Post
I'm picking up my car at PCD and talked to extreme colors auto spa. Going with Full PPF for the exact reasons above. I also have ordered an individual color.
Extreme colors wraps all the PCD cars so I figured they know what they are doing.

When I get it home I have a local place I plan on having ceramic applied.

Full wrap is worth it for me. Been waiting to be able to order this car and I want to protect it.
$8K for the wrap there I'd I'm not mistaken, what did they quote you?
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #40
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

What am I missing, you can repaint the whole car for $8K
Does this make it bulletproof or invisible to cops?
      08-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #41
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
What am I missing, you can repaint the whole car for $8K
Does this make it bulletproof or invisible to cops?
You're missing the protection in the paint protection film. A full respray is very invasive and requires a ton of work. PPF can be easily re-applied without having to worry about blending. Plus the 8-10mm of film saves from the scratches and chips that might warrant the respray in the first place.

The biggest thing for me is the ease of maintenance. I had a big day with the car last sunday, bringing it by my folks place so they could drive it, and a long cruise at night with some friends. I had a spare moment today and came to a car covered in tree sap and bugs. A generic costco yellow microfiber towel and some quick detailer (Wipeout from American Detailer Garage) and its 100% clean again. No worries of micro scratches from not using a soft enough towel or not enough lubrication. Easy. I'm honestly looking at my pressure washer and two bucket setup and wondering how often I'm going to need to use that since this works so well.

The fact I can clean my entire car with a waterless wash in around 10 minutes is priceless being a new dad with a 14 week old and very little time to put into detailing at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #42
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Neither, as lease is a new factory paint every 3 years
haha same here.

But i'm doing the PPF on the front though, only cause i'm OCD about my cars, even though most of them were leases. I like having cars that look brand new, all the time.

Plus how much could it really be just for the front? 300-400? That's easy money.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3636.50
      08-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #43
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:
haha same here.

But i'm doing the PPF on the front though, only cause i'm OCD about my cars, even though most of them were leases. I like having cars that look brand new, all the time.

Plus how much could it really be just for the front? 300-400? That's easy money.
Depends. I was quoted $1500 for the full front (bumper, hood, headlights, fenders, side view mirrors). This is after discount from a friend of a friend who owns his own PPF shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #44
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:
haha same here.

I think your missing a zero!

More like 3 to 4 grand for a full front end PPF done correctly. I've seen quotes around 2k but there was add ons

I got mine done for around $3k including tints and ceramic which was the best quote I could find
Appreciate 0