BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

04-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #1
bababiskothu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Body shop question

Got involved in a parking lot incident and my rear bumper got scratched badly on my 6 month old m340i . My heart sank but it's what it is...It looks to me it is the bumper and no damage quarter panel - may be a few scratches since the bumper got pushed out.

Question for anyone who had similar hit on the bumper :

1. Did you take it to any good reputable body shop and were they able to replace it its original state ?

2. My insurance has suggested couple of body shop that can take in the car in a week or so for repair. I am planning to go with the BMW CCRC approved one but the one in my area is booked up they cant take in the car till June. Does a BMW CCRC shop is better bet for this repair?

3. If I continue to use till June will that make anything worse? As you can see the bumper is protruding out a bit due to the impact and will that scratch the quarter panel even more?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #2
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

1. A good shop should be able to
2. Well a BMW cert shop is likely better than a crap shop, is it as good as one of the best in you area?....no idea. Its all shop specific, do some local inquires.
3. Should be no problem driving it that way, will not make it worse. Quarter panel will need work regardless.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #3
bababiskothu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
1. A good shop should be able to
2. Well a BMW cert shop is likely better than a crap shop, is it as good as one of the best in you area?....no idea. Its all shop specific, do some local inquires.
3. Should be no problem driving it that way, will not make it worse. Quarter panel will need work regardless.
Thanks for your inputs.

I am looking at the Crown Paint & Body in Greensboro, NC which is also what my BMW dealer reco. (ofcourse its all under their group of companies here locally - Crown automotives) but that body shop seem to have a good reviews online and also a BMW CCRC from what I could gather.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
bababiskothu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just following up to my original post - from the initial evaluation the the body shop says they can repair by sanding and repaint/ clear coat the side of bumper on where the damages are and it would blend better than replacing and painting the entire bumper even though he assures that would blend in as well but fixing existing one might be a better option if it was his car. Does that make sense?

But they can confirm that only after the take the car in and remove the bumper and take closer look and if thats not possible then they will replace the bumper. Looking at the scratches etc I was thinking of replacing the bumper might be better. Have anyone repaired instead of replacing and are you guys happy with it?

Appreciate your thoughts....
Appreciate 0