BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

04-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #1
Crafto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e MGM Msport

Best dealer pick-up protocol

Hi friends. What is the wise way to approach the dealer about your new vehicle being delivered? I.e. how best to spec delivery ("don't drill front plate holes, please don't hand wash the car, etc")?

I'm pretty particular about my car care (maybe not as much as some of you, but 9/10), and this is my first BMW (been driving a beloved Golf R for 10 years). I'm also trying to figure out if PPF makes sense, but my first priority is not f-ing up the taking delivery part.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:58 PM   #2
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
Just don't drill the front license plate holes. Wait till you see what you want to do there. There are other options besides drilling holes.

Also if you are getting ceramic coating or PPF you should just have them wash it which they will do anyway but don't apply anything else (ie; waxes coatings etc.). I am sure the detox that is needed to be done before ceramic or ppf install will be much easier. You will also side step any issues with the washing department adding swirles and other love marks to your new car.

Other then that as far as paint goes that's it. I have seen some people say give it to me even with the protective sheeting still on it and dirty. I think when they took possession they did the process themselves as far as I could tell

Last edited by 1Mors; 04-13-2022 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      04-13-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

No dealer sticker is my main concern ahead of delivery. For delivery I try to make sure I take a deep breath to set aside any excitement I might feel and then methodically go over everything inside and out. Only issue I've had was a scratch I missed on our latest, but I was able to work out the scratch with a little elbow grease.
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      04-13-2022, 05:10 PM   #4
Crafto
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas8283 View Post
No dealer sticker is my main concern ahead of delivery. For delivery I try to make sure I take a deep breath to set aside any excitement I might feel and then methodically go over everything inside and out. Only issue I've had was a scratch I missed on our latest, but I was able to work out the scratch with a little elbow grease.
By sticker do you mean some slapped-on dealer badge on the paint somewhere? Because I would lose it.

Good reminder to dispassionately look over everything in detail.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:53 PM   #5
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafto View Post
Quote:
By sticker do you mean some slapped-on dealer badge on the paint somewhere? Because I would lose it.

Good reminder to dispassionately look over everything in detail.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I can't believe that's something dealers still do.
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      04-17-2022, 12:24 AM   #6
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Extra badging (Dealer) and No drilling of front. Also be adamant you are not taking any dealer add-ons, so do not add them.
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      04-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #7
jjcools
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335i 6MT

When I placed my order I just told them not to wash or install front plates. No magic, when it gets closer, i just remind them of those things and they gladly comply.
2005 - 330i ZHP, Mystic Blue over black (past)
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      04-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #8
Crafto
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks all. Hey how do you like the MGM? I ordered Carbon Black but I'm really close to switching that to MGM--it just seems like a more unique, and really solid color.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 02:26 PM   #9
jjcools
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335i 6MT

Hah, I was seconds away from changing to CB!! I really like it and chose it because I never see them around, which was also my worry... I looks really gold in some pictures but in person it is better. I have still only been in the car once so I cannot say much, what is will say is, if you are on the fence, go for it. But if you want something more safe then CB is so good.
2005 - 330i ZHP, Mystic Blue over black (past)
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      04-18-2022, 02:51 PM   #10
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcools View Post
When I placed my order I just told them not to wash or install front plates. No magic, when it gets closer, i just remind them of those things and they gladly comply.
Exactly what I did.. I reminded him 2 weeks out then 1 week out and days out.. I also sent my SA a text being adamant about it.

It worked.. He got the message and if they did drill holes, more than hell would be paid especially waiting as long as I did for the car.

Last edited by 1Mors; 04-19-2022 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      04-18-2022, 06:57 PM   #11
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all. Hey how do you like the MGM? I ordered Carbon Black but I'm really close to switching that to MGM--it just seems like a more unique, and really solid color.
Switch! I love the Manhattan green metallic. That's the only color I like more than Donnington. It's unique and classy. My partner nixed it and he makes the big $$ so fair enough.
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      04-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #12
Waterdog
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
In my excitement waiting for my X5 I forgot about telling the dealer not to put his advertising badge on the car. From advice I got in this forum I found it was an easy process to get it off. No harm done.
Appreciate 1
Crafto28.50
      04-19-2022, 11:35 PM   #13
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Hi friends. What is the wise way to approach the dealer about your new vehicle being delivered? I.e. how best to spec delivery ("don't drill front plate holes, please don't hand wash the car, etc")?

I'm pretty particular about my car care (maybe not as much as some of you, but 9/10), and this is my first BMW (been driving a beloved Golf R for 10 years). I'm also trying to figure out if PPF makes sense, but my first priority is not f-ing up the taking delivery part.

Thank you!
I always talk to sales associate +/- manager with these specific requests, and you can send a follow-up email with your detailed requests. I always want at least two people to know in case car arrives when someone is off. And remind them repeatedly if needed. You can ask them to leave any protective wrap on the car as some people request, but I always want to see the entire car to make sure no scratches, dings, or dents from transport and your dealer should want to check for that too.
Crafto28.50
      04-24-2022, 07:19 PM   #14
Celos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive45e

I'm always tempted to negotiate advertising rates if they want to put a dealer badge or sticker on the car. I'm giving them free advertising for the life of the vehicle.

It would be pretty easy to calculate rates based on the number of vehicles on the highways I regularly drive. Using standard ad rates multiplied by the number of impressions delivered, show them how much that badge is worth to the dealer on my car. If they'd like to negotiate, I'm open.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #15
Crafto
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celos View Post
I'm always tempted to negotiate advertising rates if they want to put a dealer badge or sticker on the car. I'm giving them free advertising for the life of the vehicle.

It would be pretty easy to calculate rates based on the number of vehicles on the highways I regularly drive. Using standard ad rates multiplied by the number of impressions delivered, show them how much that badge is worth to the dealer on my car. If they'd like to negotiate, I'm open.
Lol this is great, and exactly how I feel about that shit. Every time I see dealer plate frames or worse, those badges, on a decently nice car I just can't believe people are giving those places free (ugly) advertising.
Appreciate 0