BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

04-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #1
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

Different wait list for G80 manual vs G80 comp?

My dealer told me I’d be 7th on the list for an M3 with a manual, and 17th for an M3 competition. Is this true? Are there different lists depending on whether or not you’re getting the competition or non-competition? If someone with more knowledge on this could shed light in this I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks
      04-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
I've always heard that G80, G82, G83 have their own allocations but the different models within that category is all the same.

Meaning they have a G80 allocation, they can make it a Pure, Comp or Comp xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
I've always heard that G80, G82, G83 have their own allocations but the different models within that category is all the same.

Meaning they have a G80 allocation, they can make it a Pure, Comp or Comp xDrive.
That was my understanding too but I want clarification on it before I send this guy a $1500 non-refundable deposit. If what you said is true I would end up being #24 on the list, and not number 7. When I asked him how long it would take he said 6+ months.
      04-25-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

I've read that they dealers do get specific allocations but they can modify them. So they could modify a manual allocation for a competition. Some dealers will modify and some won't. If they're listing the manuals out separately then it sounds like they might not be modifying them and are just letting flow "as is".

What's tough is finding a mix of a wait that's not terrible, but also a dealer that does decent volume. We don't know exactly how BMW allocates, but do believe it's based on how many M3s they sold previously etc. So you could be #9 at a large dealer that gets 3 allocations/month or #3 at a small dealer that only gets one allocation every two months.

So long as deposits are refundable, it might not hurt to go on lists with multiple dealers.

I'd call around a bit more. I've found a few local dealers that have refundable deposits (so long as the build stage hasn't started). I'd be hesitant to go onto a long list without a refundable deposit. If you're in Florida, you could order from any dealer in the country and have your car delivered at the Performance Delivery Center in South Carolina free of charge.

Last edited by MisterGoober; 04-25-2022 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
Besharaf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Thin Air

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [10.00]
My dealer told me they treat each trim separately, even when I asked if they can be flipped it's like a first come first serve type of thing
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
Vervish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
My dealer told me I’d be 7th on the list for an M3 with a manual, and 17th for an M3 competition. Is this true? Are there different lists depending on whether or not you’re getting the competition or non-competition? If someone with more knowledge on this could shed light in this I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks
My dealer has separate lists for G80 manual, comp and comp xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #7
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

It really depends on the dealer.

G80 allocation can be configured as base, comp or comp xdrive. But some dealers maintain different waitlists for each variant.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 12:04 PM   #8
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
I've read that they dealers do get specific allocations but they can modify them. So they could modify a manual allocation for a competition. Some dealers will modify and some won't. If they're listing the manuals out separately then it sounds like they might not be modifying them and are just letting flow "as is".

What's tough is finding a mix of a wait that's not terrible, but also a dealer that does decent volume. We don't know exactly how BMW allocates, but do believe it's based on how many M3s they sold previously etc. So you could be #9 at a large dealer that gets 3 allocations/month or #3 at a small dealer that only gets one allocation every two months.

So long as deposits are refundable, it might not hurt to go on lists with multiple dealers.

I'd call around a bit more. I've found a few local dealers that have refundable deposits (so long as the build stage hasn't started). I'd be hesitant to go onto a long list without a refundable deposit. If you're in Florida, you could order from any dealer in the country and have your car delivered at the Performance Delivery Center in South Carolina free of charge.

I could keep trying to call more dealers but they would have to be out of state dealer. The ones I called in Florida had insane premiums and waitlists.

Vista BMW in Ft Lauderdale was $15k over retail and they had more than 50 people on the waitlist for just the M3. They told me it was going to be at least a year to get one from them.
      04-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #9
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

Try neighboring states, or use a broker. You can always have the car delivered to the Performance Center in South Carolina which isn't that far from you.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:23 PM   #10
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

My dealership says each of these have a different list.
  • G80 Manual
  • G80 Comp RWD
  • G80 Comp xDrive
  • G82 Comp RWD
  • G82 Comp xDrive
  • G83 Comp xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:38 PM   #11
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Reposting from another thread:

This is how it was explained to me so forgive me if anything is inaccurate...but the process really depends on the dealer. Typically when you place an order to get on a waitlist, your build goes in a queue with the dealer's order bank. Within the order bank, builds are differentiated by variant (ie. manual, Comp, Comp xDrive) meaning each variant has its own queue. These days, especially for these M cars in high demand, BMWNA is more likely to assign any available production slots, aka. allocations, directly to builds that are already in order banks, as opposed to giving a dealer XXX allocations for XXX variant(s). Since allocations are differentiated, but also interchangeable between the three variants, it is now up to the dealer as to whether they will let the builds go into production as assigned by BMWNA, or change priorities so that whoever has been waiting the longest, regardless of variant, receives the allocation instead. So for example, you're first in line for a MT and you get an allocation by way of BMW converting your build to a production order, but there are three people who have been waiting for a xDrive longer than you have. It's up to the dealer whether you get to keep your production slot, or, if your allocation, and any you may get in the future will go to those who have been waiting longer for the xDrive. Or in the worst case, they might just give it to some random who walked in that day and was willing to pay $10k over sticker. You wouldn't know if your build has been allocated for production until the dealer tells you, so the dealer can do whatever they please and you'd be none the wiser. I'm #1 for a RWD Comp M4 at four dealerships, and each of them has assured me they wouldn't take away my allocation, or convert any RWD Comp M4 allocation they receive to give to somebody else. Nothing I can do but take them at their word.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #12
RodriguezM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340iXdrive M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1403 View Post
Reposting from another thread:

This is how it was explained to me so forgive me if anything is inaccurate...but the process really depends on the dealer. Typically when you place an order to get on a waitlist, your build goes in a queue with the dealer's order bank. Within the order bank, builds are differentiated by variant (ie. manual, Comp, Comp xDrive) meaning each variant has its own queue. These days, especially for these M cars in high demand, BMWNA is more likely to assign any available production slots, aka. allocations, directly to builds that are already in order banks, as opposed to giving a dealer XXX allocations for XXX variant(s). Since allocations are differentiated, but also interchangeable between the three variants, it is now up to the dealer as to whether they will let the builds go into production as assigned by BMWNA, or change priorities so that whoever has been waiting the longest, regardless of variant, receives the allocation instead. So for example, you're first in line for a MT and you get an allocation by way of BMW converting your build to a production order, but there are three people who have been waiting for a xDrive longer than you have. It's up to the dealer whether you get to keep your production slot, or, if your allocation, and any you may get in the future will go to those who have been waiting longer for the xDrive. Or in the worst case, they might just give it to some random who walked in that day and was willing to pay $10k over sticker. You wouldn't know if your build has been allocated for production until the dealer tells you, so the dealer can do whatever they please and you'd be none the wiser. I'm #1 for a RWD Comp M4 at four dealerships, and each of them has assured me they wouldn't take away my allocation, or convert any RWD Comp M4 allocation they receive to give to somebody else. Nothing I can do but take them at their word.

So if your financing a M3 and you want one in manual you would have to still waiting for an allocation?
Appreciate 0