home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-09-2023, 08:07 AM   #1
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

G8x left foot braking - automatic

Just wondered if people have tried this. I already find the left foot position (uk) awkward after an hour or two. Trying left foot braking I find the brake pedal too far off centre and, with my big feet - even in good shoes, brake and accelerator too close together.

Is this better on the 6MT?
Have others had a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 12:21 PM   #2
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, M1000RR

I do it only on very spirited drives or on track it's not a big issue. I haven't tried the manual, but I'd suspect the brake is in the same position as there's enough space for the clutch in there.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 04:39 PM   #3
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Depends on your seat type, foot positioning, and leg muscles. When I first started out left foot braking on auto cars and keeping my foot over the pedal (but not touching it), the muscles in the front of my leg below the knee would cramp and ache. Now that I've been doing it for years and the right shoes or barefoot, they don't ache at all.

As far as foot positioning, I position my foot to use the left side of the pedal only and not the whole pedal. So half of my foot is covering half of the brake pedal. Wearing shoes with slippery soles isn't recommended when doing this, so be careful when your shoes are wet if you want to try. The big problem with the previous DCT cars like the E92 M3 is they had a brake pedal from a manual car and that was more challenging with large and wide feet. I had to buy a pedal cover for an automatic car and that helped tremendously for me. Personally, one of the downsides of left foot braking is not being able to use the dead pedal for leverage under heavy braking so I'd use the steering wheel to brace myself. My wrists would hurt after a long enough session so I needed to get a harness setup. That helped, but standard seats aren't inclined to tilt your knees up but I still had to use the steering wheel to brace a bit so I wouldn't slide forward out of position.

What I love about the carbon bucket seats on the G80 is that they do tilt your knees up so under braking, you're not sliding forward. My foot now has better control of the brake pedal without me having to overuse my leg muscles to keep it in place.
      01-22-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Zero downsides to LEFT FOOT BRAKING, Only quicker lap times. Practice makes perfect, drive everyday on the street in stop and go traffic before you hit the track.
A proper race car driver knows how to do it all especially with left foot braking.
I’ve been Left foot braking for years on the track and it’s faster! I learned from go-karts and practicing everyday driving to and from work.

Anyone that tells you there is no benefit…they clearly don’t drive fast with precision.
Appreciate 2