03-16-2021, 03:20 AM   #45
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
Looks like a rainy day.Just a quick question.Does water collect at all in those two stamped in areas on the hood after a really good amount of rain?
Bimmerpost forum's most underrated question here. I think Doug DeMuro missed that one in his video ...
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1367.50
SW192456.00
      03-16-2021, 05:36 AM   #46
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Not when there are many people here for the sole reason of sh*ting on the car (perhaps you are among them). Also, as this poll is for those who have seen the car, what other section does it belong it?

I saw something about them acknowledging market research but don't recall that 20% statistic. Post if possible please.
Straight from the horse's mouth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear
"Not all our products get the same critics," Dukec said. "You can see that on something as polarising like the kidneys on the 4 Series, 20 per cent of people are liking it. That fits to the type of customers we are targeting.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bmw...e-everyone?amp

A poll for people who've seen the car in person would be just as fitting in the general BMW news section which would reach a larger audience of BMW fans, not just G8x fans.

FWIW, I'm here to read about the G8x and impressions from new owners. Found some good threads. I do find it interesting that you suggest I may be here just to shit on it, when I've given no opinion on its looks in my post.
You were questioning the veracity of the poll. I'm not saying you're wrong in your assessment of it's bias. I'm not saying I disagree with your point. However, that you are questioning it COULD mean you disagree with the results (thus far) and dislike the design.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:39 AM   #47
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
I saw something about them acknowledging market research but don't recall that 20% statistic. Post if possible please.
It’s from an AVH quote - hardly a precise metric, but generally I think the sentiment is representative of how people feel. The intent is to be polarizing and generate conversation, and look at us now... we can’t stop talking about the thing

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bmw...lease-everyone
The thing looks amazing so I don't think for one second they were doing it SOLELY to create intense dialogue lol.
Appreciate 1
Kansr163.00
      03-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #48
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
Hold on brother, I'm not making excuses...i f**king love it. Loved it since the first renders appeared in july, 2019 when we saw test mules with massive grilles under the camo.
yea ive gotta agree with this...who is making excuses for the design? lol maybe its surprising coming from BMW who usually makes understated looking cars but its certainly a great looking design imo. I think the whole grille thing is being played up by these auto 'journalists' in a pretty click-baity way.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #49
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
yea ive gotta agree with this...who is making excuses for the design? lol maybe its surprising coming from BMW who usually makes understated looking cars but its certainly a great looking design imo. I think the whole grille thing is being played up by these auto 'journalists' in a pretty click-baity way.
It's the best looking "non exotic" on the road. That's my honest opinion and I plan on leasing 3 of them lol.

The last one I will keep indefinitely as (presumably) my last 6MT 4 door.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50
      03-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #50
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
The thing looks amazing so I don't think for one second they were doing it SOLELY to create intense dialogue lol.
I agree that it’s not the sole purpose, but it appears to be one of the main purposes. Based on the way AVH and Dukec have been characterizing their decisions, the design language in G8X (and G22) serves two purposes: 1. To make a bold statement and capture a new/different market, and 2. To provide groundwork for the design of their EVs. The latter is likely the primary purpose though.
      03-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #51
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

At first i was so not a fan of the car from early pictures of it. After stopping by my local dealer when the first one arrived it started growing on me. After seeing a few show up at the dealer im going in tomorrow to see what they can do on one.
Appreciate 1
Jcali861479.00
      03-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #52
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
It's the best looking "non exotic" on the road. That's my honest opinion and I plan on leasing 3 of them lol.

The last one I will keep indefinitely as (presumably) my last 6MT 4 door.
Man if youre leasing 3 maybe i can pay the 3k extra for the executive package hahaha As far as the looks go i definitely do not get the backlash...people say things like 'it looks like an american car' then praise the big non functional powerdome hood on the F80 thats gotta be as American car as it gets. im nitpicking here as i think the F80 looks great too in a different way but im not a fan of the headlights bleeding straight into the grille look either so im sure we can all pick out something we really dont like about any car. If you go over to the porsche forum they all complain every time a new 911 gets released and those cars barely change visually at all lol
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #53
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Quote:
Not when there are many people here for the sole reason of sh*ting on the car (perhaps you are among them). Also, as this poll is for those who have seen the car, what other section does it belong it?

Straight from the horse's mouth:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGear
"Not all our products get the same critics," Dukec said. "You can see that on something as polarising like the kidneys on the 4 Series, 20 per cent of people are liking it. That fits to the type of customers we are targeting.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bmw...e-everyone?amp

A poll for people who've seen the car in person would be just as fitting in the general BMW news section which would reach a larger audience of BMW fans, not just G8x fans.

FWIW, I'm here to read about the G8x and impressions from new owners. Found some good threads. I do find it interesting that you suggest I may be here just to shit on it, when I've given no opinion on its looks in my post.
Not this nonsense again.... wildly take out of context by those who don't like the design

Bmw did NOT say that only 20% of people like the design... the real quote was discussing how designing for a target market might mean that design does not appeal to another segment. The 20% was just an example that they could still hit sales targets while limiting appeal to a certain group.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #54
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Not this nonsense again.... wildly take out of context by those who don't like the design

Bmw did NOT say that only 20% of people like the design... the real quote was discussing how designing for a target market might mean that design does not appeal to another segment. The 20% was just an example that they could still hit sales targets while limiting appeal to a certain group.
Domagoj directly said that 20% of people like the 4er grille design, preceded by a statement that 70% of BMW customers want something more understated and elegant (this is the 'just an example' I believe you're referring to). So, sure, he did more or less say that they could sell what they needed by appealing to around 30% of prospective buyers but he also said that 20% of people like the kidneys on the 4.

I posted the full quote that contained "20 percent of people are liking [the new 4er grille];" I'm not sure how much more unambiguous you'd like it to be.

Anyways I'd like to maneuver this thread back to the photographic aspects of the G8x kidneys where it started. Apologies to the larger audience for the mini-derail.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 1
snareman9051.50