home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

03-28-2024, 05:51 PM   #1
SCMTX
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, exesE92 M3, F82, F30

Supercar 3 size fitment

Just in case anyone wanted to know or see the Supercar 3s on the car. What I had read previously was how much wider they are than the Pirelli’s or 4S’, or other brands for that matter. I also read all of the measurements on TireRack. After everything I read, and needing something close to a dual duty tire, a few track days a year (advanced group), I went with these. They look close enough to a normal street tire, as opposed to an AD09.

The delima was the sizes. I couldn’t get the 275/35r19s for the fronts when I needed them, installed by tomorrow. So I went with the 265/35r19s. Measurement wise they were just about the same as the stock Pirelli’s. I went with the stock size 285/30r20s in back. The fronts look closer to a 275…maybe a 270 if those existed. The rears look like the 285 Pirellis I took off, granted they were down to the wear bars.

Knowing what I know now, seeing these on the car. I’d run a 275/35 maybe a 285/35r19 up front and at least a 295/30r20 in back…maybe a 305. I am running 15mm spacers up front and 13mm in back. Also on H&R Sport springs. Yes, it rubbed with the Pirellis, not sure with these yet. What I did notice was it seemed like my car got a little toe in, or my steering rack wants to stick a little bit…strange.

Quick tire test up to around 105 degrees, much better than the Pirellis that came off, but that’s not saying much. Going to the track on Saturday, so we shall see how they do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
CMW33312.00
AhsanU3829.50
      03-29-2024, 02:37 AM   #2
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMTX View Post
They look close enough to a normal street tire, as opposed to an AD09.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 03:04 PM   #3
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

Thanks
He probably means the tread grooves look like they're better at displacing water on the roads than the AD09, which has tread grooves that look more oriented towards grip.

I've lived with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3's for about a year now and they're coming off on Monday. The rears are nearly completely bald and the fronts are at about 4/32nds. They lasted 3 very hot track days and 11k miles and the OP is absolutely correct - they run wide. I'm currently on KW V3's and the rear 305/30/20's on an 11" wheel rub on the passenger's side on undulating roads, but were fine on track. I ran 285/30/20's up front and they rub minimally on a 10" wheel on full lock. I'd say if you're on stock dampers/struts, the 305 might be okay to drive on and provide the best grip and they are honestly closer to 315 than 305 for sure. Overall, in terms of a dual purpose tyre, these are great but definitely will not last too long if you track 3-4 times a year and genuinely daily drive.

I'm replacing my set with MPS4S and am moving onto a dedicated track set of tyres, MPSC2R's in 285/35/19 square setup. Truth be told, I'm not happy about going back to MPS4S for daily use since they're not my favourite tyre and since I'm pushing 850+ whp on a RWD 6MT G80, I know that the MPS4S won't grip as well as the SC3's when up to temps on the streets. Anyone considering the SC3's should absolutely do so as they're a perfectly suitable daily tyre and are quite capable on track as well. I drove through some terribly rainy days with some sense and felt confidence in their ability to keep me straight. They heat up quickly and have a great hefty steering feel to them, something I enjoyed. Again, overall - an easy 9/10.

But as the OP concluded, the SC3's definitely run wide. I'd advise most go for the 295/30/20 in the rear to not rub but they're almost never in stock. The SC3's are a tPc spec, meaning they were built for a GM car, in this case the Chevy Camaro, so the Camaro guys run it quite often. Great overall tyre, but I think I'm gonna give the Cup 2R's a good shakedown this season and see if they're worth the hype. Got a deal I couldn't pass up so we'll see
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 3
somer966.00
m4ml1834.00
      03-30-2024, 11:51 AM   #4
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
I am thinking similarly to you guys, although I don't want to get dedicated track wheels/tires. So, my choices come down to AD09s, SC3s, or CR-S.

It is good to have some feedback. I am wondering why SCMTX went for SC3s over AD09s, especially since AD09s have the stock sizes available.

Any updates would be much appreciated. TIA.
      04-01-2024, 10:47 AM   #5
SCMTX
Private
Rep

Further updates…

As someone clarified for me regarding SC3 vs AD09 and the SC3 looking more like a “street” tire, yes, I meant the tread pattern was more similar to a typical street tire vs. AD09 which is closer to a dedicated track tire.

I also thought since the Camaros were also 3900# range and the SC3’s were primarily designed for this weight, the tires probably had a decent chance of holding up on track.

Dry grip on the street transformed the car! Dry grip on the track was amazing! The first session was obviously the best and they were consistent for the most part through a 30min session 2.4mile track MSRH CW. Tires got up to an indicated 185-192ish range by the end of each session, they were hot. Ambients were about 80. Subsequent sessions, tires remained consistent and I kept hot pressures around 33-35. Car stayed pretty balanced except in two slower sections with concrete patches, car pushed.

My only other time with this car on track, Pirellis. I couldn’t get the power down and the rear wanted to break away at very inopportune times, very scary. I pretty much had to use MDM.

On the SC3s, after MDM limiting power, I turned everything off. No surprises, very easy to drive at the limit, no sudden anything. Very good feel (as much as can be had with this car), I at least knew what the car was going to do.

On the 1.5 hour drive home the tires weren’t too much louder than on the way to the track. My brakes are a different story, need to see what the heck is going on there.

I ran through 3 full tanks of fuel doing 30 minute sessions, I definitely didn’t take it easy on the tires. My last set of tires on my old f87 were 295/30r19 CR-S V2. They were amazing, but the fronts started to delaminate on the outer edge after the 4th track day.

Take my experiences and comments as one opinion…Based on my experiences… best DD street/track tire for me on my G80. SC3, 285/35r19 and 295/30r20. I’m not running those sizes, but I REALLY wish I was! I just took pics of the tires….definitely aren’t going to last long. Honestly, I’ve never liked Goodyear tires, maybe it’s a NASCAR thing? I was shocked at how good these are. The SC3R’s have to be a whole new level though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
m4ml1834.00
      04-01-2024, 10:55 AM   #6
SCMTX
Private
Rep

I went with SC3s because I am thinking about selling my car/trading it in.

Although, that’s a very difficult decision after the track on Saturday. This car ran with a good driver in a C8, with a wing, splitter, suspension(not sure what, but lowered and with swaybars), exhaust, 305 mm or 315mm+ old R888Rs.

I figured the SC3 would draw less attention than the AD09s if I do trade in my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:50 PM   #7
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 RWD 6SP

Thanks for a nice write up! Could you please elaborate more on "Dry grip on the street transformed the car!" ?

Also, would you still wish you got the 285F/295R if the car was mostly street driven w/occasional track day?

Quote:
Further updates…

As someone clarified for me regarding SC3 vs AD09 and the SC3 looking more like a “street” tire, yes, I meant the tread pattern was more similar to a typical street tire vs. AD09 which is closer to a dedicated track tire.

I also thought since the Camaros were also 3900# range and the SC3’s were primarily designed for this weight, the tires probably had a decent chance of holding up on track.

Dry grip on the street transformed the car! Dry grip on the track was amazing! The first session was obviously the best and they were consistent for the most part through a 30min session 2.4mile track MSRH CW. Tires got up to an indicated 185-192ish range by the end of each session, they were hot. Ambients were about 80. Subsequent sessions, tires remained consistent and I kept hot pressures around 33-35. Car stayed pretty balanced except in two slower sections with concrete patches, car pushed.

My only other time with this car on track, Pirellis. I couldn’t get the power down and the rear wanted to break away at very inopportune times, very scary. I pretty much had to use MDM.

On the SC3s, after MDM limiting power, I turned everything off. No surprises, very easy to drive at the limit, no sudden anything. Very good feel (as much as can be had with this car), I at least knew what the car was going to do.

On the 1.5 hour drive home the tires weren’t too much louder than on the way to the track. My brakes are a different story, need to see what the heck is going on there.

I ran through 3 full tanks of fuel doing 30 minute sessions, I definitely didn’t take it easy on the tires. My last set of tires on my old f87 were 295/30r19 CR-S V2. They were amazing, but the fronts started to delaminate on the outer edge after the 4th track day.

Take my experiences and comments as one opinion…Based on my experiences… best DD street/track tire for me on my G80. SC3, 285/35r19 and 295/30r20. I’m not running those sizes, but I REALLY wish I was! I just took pics of the tires….definitely aren’t going to last long. Honestly, I’ve never liked Goodyear tires, maybe it’s a NASCAR thing? I was shocked at how good these are. The SC3R’s have to be a whole new level though.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 02:45 PM   #8
SCMTX
Private
Rep

Prior to these tires, I couldn’t get the power down in 2nd gear, and the motor is stock. So for me not having to roll on the throttle everywhere really transformed the car. I’m not worried about oversteer…unless I want to be. I have the CSL/CS MDM coded which left me a little too uncomfortable with the slip angle at times…just didn’t know if I could bring the car back under control. I much prefer NOT drifting every time I punch the throttle.

You can’t go wrong with the SC3 in stock sizes. My personal preference would be +10mm wider D&J…with these tires it probably equals a +15-17mm f&r. I would prefer this simply for the extra grip, and I don’t think it would significantly change the look. Again though, I’m not worried about rubbing. I’d prefer the extra grip on the street and track.

Regardless of the size (go with stock) these tires really are amazing in the dry. Much better than I expected. I would also say the sideway stiffness is more than a 4S, but not like a dedicated track tire or super 200 Yw.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 07:59 PM   #9
OzDrives
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 RWD 6SP

Thanks for elaborating. I hear you on the CSL MDM, it can really step out on you, esp when engine is in Sport+. Can't wait for my rears to wear out so I can slap a set of these on

Quote:
Prior to these tires, I couldn’t get the power down in 2nd gear, and the motor is stock. So for me not having to roll on the throttle everywhere really transformed the car. I’m not worried about oversteer…unless I want to be. I have the CSL/CS MDM coded which left me a little too uncomfortable with the slip angle at times…just didn’t know if I could bring the car back under control. I much prefer NOT drifting every time I punch the throttle.

You can’t go wrong with the SC3 in stock sizes. My personal preference would be +10mm wider D&J…with these tires it probably equals a +15-17mm f&r. I would prefer this simply for the extra grip, and I don’t think it would significantly change the look. Again though, I’m not worried about rubbing. I’d prefer the extra grip on the street and track.

Regardless of the size (go with stock) these tires really are amazing in the dry. Much better than I expected. I would also say the sideway stiffness is more than a 4S, but not like a dedicated track tire or super 200 Yw.
Appreciate 0