BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-22-2024, 03:59 PM   #1
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

BMW Issue, Apple Carplay Issue, or Personal Issue?

I want to preface this by saying my G82 is my first BMW and first vehicle with Apple Car Play. I've been having these two issues for almost 3 years, but just wanted to know if these were normal.

ISSUE #1:
Occasionally (less than 5% of the time), my wireless Apple Carplay will not reconnect to my car immediately. Not 100% sure, but it seems like it may be proximity and/or timing based.

Example: I'll be connected to wireless Apple Carplay and it's working just fine. I'll park and exit my vehicle to pick up some food close by (~30 feet away) and I get back in my car (1-2 minutes afterwards) and it won't connect to Apple Carplay. Alternatively, if it's a longer time and/or distance (such as a market or Target run) and I'm far away from the car for an extended period of time, Carplay will connect immediately as usual.

The non-connectively is definitely not a phone or car setting issue because it works fine before the issues and then it connects again by itself after 2-10 minutes. This is especially frustrating when I'm using navigation through my phone and need to navigate by holding my phone instead of through my car.

ISSUE #2
There appears to be an inherent timing delay (3-5 seconds) between my phone and hearing the audio through Carplay.

Example: My girlfriend will go into a store and I'll wait for her in the car and scroll through TikTok. I can see people talking in the videos, but their lips do not match the timing of the audio coming through my car via Carplay. Is this normal? My 'fix' is to disable Wi-Fi on my phone and just use my phone audio, but then I get interrupted every couple minutes with a pop-up asking if I want to turn on Wi-Fi and connect to Carplay.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:05 PM   #2
CC M3C X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Xdrive

I am by no means an expert on this. However, I have also not experienced any issues with my Apple CarPlay. I imagine you have reset your phone and it has the most recent update? Silly questions I know but could potentially cause these types of issues.?.?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:07 PM   #3
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJt3xtbook View Post
I want to preface this by saying my G82 is my first BMW and first vehicle with Apple Car Play. I've been having these two issues for almost 3 years, but just wanted to know if these were normal.

ISSUE #1:
Occasionally (less than 5% of the time), my wireless Apple Carplay will not reconnect to my car immediately. Not 100% sure, but it seems like it may be proximity and/or timing based.

Example: I'll be connected to wireless Apple Carplay and it's working just fine. I'll park and exit my vehicle to pick up some food close by (~30 feet away) and I get back in my car (1-2 minutes afterwards) and it won't connect to Apple Carplay. Alternatively, if it's a longer time and/or distance (such as a market or Target run) and I'm far away from the car for an extended period of time, Carplay will connect immediately as usual.

The non-connectively is definitely not a phone or car setting issue because it works fine before the issues and then it connects again by itself after 2-10 minutes. This is especially frustrating when I'm using navigation through my phone and need to navigate by holding my phone instead of through my car.

ISSUE #2
There appears to be an inherent timing delay (3-5 seconds) between my phone and hearing the audio through Carplay.

Example: My girlfriend will go into a store and I'll wait for her in the car and scroll through TikTok. I can see people talking in the videos, but their lips do not match the timing of the audio coming through my car via Carplay. Is this normal? My 'fix' is to disable Wi-Fi on my phone and just use my phone audio, but then I get interrupted every couple minutes with a pop-up asking if I want to turn on Wi-Fi and connect to Carplay.
Issue #1: Totally normal. Totally annoying. Over the years, the connection speed has always been inconsistent. I get a new Pro iPhone every year and am always on the latest version of iOS. Occasionally on a trip I have to restart my iPhone at a rest stop and/or restart the headunit (on ID7 you can hold the volume knob in for like 20 seconds and it will restart). BMW is generally much better about this than my wife's Honda.

Issue #2: I haven't noticed that when watching YouTube vids in the same scenario. But this is the kind of bug that can come and go with the random updates Apple makes to iOS.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2024, 04:09 PM   #4
dJt3xtbook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC M3C X View Post
I am by no means an expert on this. However, I have also not experienced any issues with my Apple CarPlay. I imagine you have reset your phone and it has the most recent update? Silly questions I know but could potentially cause these types of issues.?.?
Yes, I've tried restarting my phone when this occurs, but that doesn't fix the issue (I honestly just have to wait 2-10 minutes until it decides to reconnect myself). I also have autp-updating turned on and on the most recent iOS.

For what it's worth, I have had these issues for ~3 years starting from when both my G82 and my iPhone 13 Pro Max were both brand new.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:11 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Issue 2 was noted by Yuri during his review of the M3 a year ago or so....

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:12 PM   #6
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Turn Ask to Join Networks and Ask to Join Hotspot to Off and see if you still have issues with #1. This will definitely fix #2 (the reconnect prompts if you drop down to BT).

1 can also be a timing thing where the car’s MMI is trying to go into sleep mode and then when you come back in, things don’t sync up quickly enough for either device to link up per their “range timeout”. I’ve had this happen with BT streaming on my Audi as well from time to time.

Keep in mind that wireless Apple CarPlay is WiFi based and reconnects based on saved networks and advertised SSID names. You may want to go into your WiFi settings on your phone and prune out (delete) old WiFi networks you know you no longer use. If that list gets long, it can cause a slight delay on reconnections, but it’s rare it’s an issue. It’s more of a security concern than time delay most of the time anyway, for other reasons.

Last edited by SwankPeRFection; 01-22-2024 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 06:09 PM   #7
CC M3C X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Yes, I've tried restarting my phone when this occurs, but that doesn't fix the issue (I honestly just have to wait 2-10 minutes until it decides to reconnect myself). I also have autp-updating turned on and on the most recent iOS.

For what it's worth, I have had these issues for ~3 years starting from when both my G82 and my iPhone 13 Pro Max were both brand new.
Crap, sorry man. Hope you are able to get it resolved.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 06:10 PM   #8
Lupeskew
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 BMW M4 G83 IOMG

I just picked up my car saturday and had my phone disconnect 3 times on the way home while using android auto. Spotify just stopped working for a couple minutes and they would just reconnect again. Annoying
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 06:18 PM   #9
dazed2day
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i, 2024 G80 M3 Comp xd

I've been having issues with my car not being able to connect at all to my phone using CarPlay - but it can make a bluetooth connection for other features. I tried multiple times to just re-connect my phone but nothing worked until I did a hard restart on my M3 (hold the volume button on the dash - not the steering wheel - for 30+ seconds) and that resolved it for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 07:03 PM   #10
bwoodahl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS6

#1 happens for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 07:12 PM   #11
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Apple Car Play is a joke.
My 2020 F150 Platnum is so bad I turned it off.
This car is better but still has issues. It’s not BMW it’s Apple. IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 01:16 PM   #12
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 COMPETITION

Garage List
Quote:

ISSUE #1:

ISSUE #2

Example: My girlfriend will go into a store and I'll wait for her in the car and scroll through TikTok. I can see people talking in the videos, but their lips do not match the timing of the audio coming through my car via Carplay. Is this normal? My 'fix' is to disable Wi-Fi on my phone [...]
What I do when glitches like this happen…hold the power button for about 45 sec until the screen shuts off, release when the logo appears. Then I soft reset my iPhone and viola!
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41660.50
      01-23-2024, 05:11 PM   #13
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
Apple Car Play is a joke.
My 2020 F150 Platnum is so bad I turned it off.
This car is better but still has issues. It’s not BMW it’s Apple. IMO
I don't have nearly enough problems with CarPlay, in any car, for it to be anything close to "a joke"

I'm 100% going to blame Ford on that one.
Appreciate 1
'Cane8666.50
      01-23-2024, 06:49 PM   #14
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Soft reboot to fix Apple CarPlay issues.