BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #243
mahmoodster
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmoodster View Post
Just sharing my personal update. Was just told that the car will be at the dealer this week or beginning of next week. Car got to the states over the weekend and was told VPC will fix the RAM issue this week, hence "work order started" in grey. Will keep you all posted on whether it gets done as quickly as they say 👍🏼
Nice man!

My car is set to arrive at the NJ port this friday. So yes i'm curious how long it might take for my RAM issue to get resolved.

I'm worried about the 90 day rate lock i have with my dealer. And october 31st marks 90 days according to my record. I already asked my SA if they can push it to 120 days or maybe an extra 14 days at least? He said he will try.

I'm guessing that means no.
Definitely will keep you posted. Meanwhile, although I'm sure you thought of this, but just in case, is there any way you can talk to them to purchase the vehicle while it won't be in your possession.

They better help you out one way or another. If they don't try to figure anything out, it's just because they know they'll sell the car in a minute if you back out. Whatever you do, don't let them get away with it, even if you have to go to another source for financing.

I suggest you get pre approved by other banks to be ready to say "oh you can't extend it? Don't worry, I'll go with X bank". I'm not sure if right now the financing deals with BMW are better (a lot of times they are when there are promos, but not always) than another bank anyway.

I typically go in with a quote from another bank before I choose whether to go with the dealer's/manufacturer's financial institution.

At the end of the day, you're the one with the advantage here because, at least here in South Florida, you can flip that car for more than MSRP. I know you want it, but I'm just saying, I would buy it and sell it before letting it go.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      10-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #244
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjen View Post
To get a rate lock, and a lot of dealers won't take orders unless they know a customer can pay and/or os serious. Unless the rates are lousy and you think you'll be able to get a better rate at delivery, which isn't happening at .9%, getting the lock is always better than rolling the dice IMO. If someone's credit is at the point where a hard pull would negatively affect their rate, they shouldn't be financing $100k cars.

It might be buyer stereotype that i was a victim of. Because i look very young for my age and i did show up to the dealer with gym pants and a baseball cap, maybe he thought i wasn't serious lol..

And no, a hard pull won't affect my credit to the point where it'll be make or break on me getting the car. However having my credit ran a second time, just so they can say, "ok still good to go", is pointless to me. I know my credit is good to go.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      10-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #245
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Another option to explore, since the car is so close to arrival by next Friday (the 29th), is to execute/sign all the paperwork to commence the lease/financing — much as PCD customers do, once the delivery date is set but hasn’t actually arrived. Slight downside is you’ll begin paying for and insuring a car not yet in your possession: RAM stop-sale may take weeks, or car gets damaged between VPC and the dealership. Your call …

I may inquire about that. Although if the car takes more than a month, why would i have to pay a lease payment/insurance on a car i haven't received yet. What happens if it takes months?

There are some people on here i've read that the car has arrived at the port and stayed there for MONTHS because of a stop sale.

I only have a RAM stop sale so i know i'm going to go over the 90 days.

Is negotiation even applicable here? Maybe if i ask them, please extend to 120 days, and if the car isn't ready yet, then run my credit again to start the whole thing over?

This is a lease btw.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #246
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely will keep you posted. Meanwhile, although I'm sure you thought of this, but just in case, is there any way you can talk to them to purchase the vehicle while it won't be in your possession.

They better help you out one way or another. If they don't try to figure anything out, it's just because they know they'll sell the car in a minute if you back out. Whatever you do, don't let them get away with it, even if you have to go to another source for financing.

I suggest you get pre approved by other banks to be ready to say "oh you can't extend it? Don't worry, I'll go with X bank". I'm not sure if right now the financing deals with BMW are better (a lot of times they are when there are promos, but not always) than another bank anyway.

I typically go in with a quote from another bank before I choose whether to go with the dealer's/manufacturer's financial institution.

At the end of the day, you're the one with the advantage here because, at least here in South Florida, you can flip that car for more than MSRP. I know you want it, but I'm just saying, I would buy it and sell it before letting it go.

Good luck!
I got approved relatively easy the first time, and even if they run my credit again because of the 90 day thing, i'll get approved again no problem. My credit is in the 8's so i'm very good.

Your last comment is what worries me actually.

Because what happens if they make up some BS?

Like they say, "oh sorry since the last time you were here, we can't offer you the car at MSRP anymore, so your monthly will go up because there's a slight mark up on the car now".

What do i do then? Just cancel? Then i wanted 3+ months for nothing and the dealer will go ahead and jack the price on the car i built and make more money.

I'm seeing used M3C's with minimal packages going for near 100k by me. That's USED.

Imagine a brand new 2022 in a color combo almost everyone wants.

They'll sell the car for 20k over MSRP easily.

The ball is definitely in their court.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:28 PM   #247
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
I got approved relatively easy the first time, and even if they run my credit again because of the 90 day thing, i'll get approved again no problem. My credit is in the 8's so i'm very good.

Like they say, "oh sorry since the last time you were here, we can't offer you the car at MSRP anymore, so your monthly will go up because there's a slight mark up on the car now".

What do i do then? Just cancel? Then i wanted 3+ months for nothing and the dealer will go ahead and jack the price on the car i built and make more money.

I'm seeing used M3C's with minimal packages going for near 100k by me. That's USED.

Did you get anything in writing? Sign anything?

I only have an email, I've thought about the scenario you're describing. If you have something in writing, you could throw the lawyer card. Not that it's worth paying legal fees over the car, but you can bluff.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #248
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Did you get anything in writing? Sign anything?

I only have an email, I've thought about the scenario you're describing. If you have something in writing, you could throw the lawyer card. Not that it's worth paying legal fees over the car, but you can bluff.

The only thing i have paper wise, was my build sheet he gave me before i left the dealer. I could've printed the same exact thing off my computer.

The only thing i signed, was the application for them to run my credit. As well as putting all my personal info, job info etc.

During the whole spiel after i found out the whole allocation/production number thing, and not having anything to show what i did at the dealer, they texted me basically my rate/monthly/residual etc.

I definitely won't be doing any lawyer thing as i don't think it's that serious. The worse case scenario the only thing i'll lose is my time waiting.

Has dealers did some shady shit like this in the past? Where after the 90 day rate, they switch up their story to get more money from the buyer in hopes he/she takes the bait?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #249
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only thing i have paper wise, was my build sheet he gave me before i left the dealer. I could've printed the same exact thing off my computer.

The only thing i signed, was the application for them to run my credit. As well as putting all my personal info, job info etc.

During the whole spiel after i found out the whole allocation/production number thing, and not having anything to show what i did at the dealer, they texted me basically my rate/monthly/residual etc.

I definitely won't be doing any lawyer thing as i don't think it's that serious. The worse case scenario the only thing i'll lose is my time waiting.

Has dealers did some shady shit like this in the past? Where after the 90 day rate, they switch up their story to get more money from the buyer in hopes he/she takes the bait?
I’m was only suggesting the lawyer card as a last resort and only as a bluff.

Here’s what I think you should do now. Email your salesperson and say….”I don’t think my car will be ready by the time my rate lock ends. In hindsight, I really don’t know why you asked me to apply for financing so early. In any event, how can I extend the rate lock? I see that the current rates are good until Oct 31st plus a 90-day lock which brings it to Jan 31, 2022. Can you guarantee my rate will be the same once my car is ready? If not, I’m going to shop around for other financing now”

He’ll probably help you extend the lock. You are not threatening to not buy the car, just not finance through BMWFS, which the dealership will get a cut.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      10-18-2021, 10:38 PM   #250
mahmoodster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!

Although technically they can do that, I think it's unlikely, unless they're notorious for doing that (other complaints or reviews, etc. of that dealership). Typically, a respected dealership wouldn't do that.

Like you, I've bought most of my cars from the lot (whether new or used), but I've ordered before, and dealers have kept their word on what was negotiated. As a matter of fact, my last purchase was an order in February 2020. Negotiated the car down (good old days), and I thought "this is good, but I'll negotiate it a little bit more when the far is delivered." Car arrived in May 2020, and the world was a different place by then, as you know, and they could have come up with an excuse to sell me the car above our agreed price, let alone above MSRP, but they didn't, and we had no official documents signed before delivery. Obviously I didn't dare to ask for a lower price than what was already negotiated lol.

Just telling you this long story to let you know that, although not always the case, there are still those out there that value relationships, so it'll likely be the case for you. The only issue is the 90-day thing, which they could say "the rate has to be higher, blah blah blah", but you could tell them you'll get financing elsewhere.

So, technically the ball is in their court, but the most-likely scenario is that they'll keep their word on the agreed price. The biggest difference between ordering and buying off the lot is the time between the handshake and signing the paperwork.

Just my opinion, and I really hope I'm right and all goes well. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 2
Merda1019.50
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      10-19-2021, 04:45 AM   #251
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Call me a Pollyanna, but in your situation I think sugar will work better than vinegar. Since a hard pull on your credit score won’t have any significant adverse effect, that’s your “BATNA” (best alternative to a negotiated agreement). That said, try persuading the dealer’s F&I manager or GM to extend the lock to 120 days, or call BMW FS yourself to see if it’s possible.

Given you’re only awaiting the RAM retrofit, the stop sale should only be a couple weeks, based on the latest experiences of other forum members. And given you’re leasing, it’s to your advantage to lock in the base rate you have (.00093, vs. .00096 as of October — and who knows what November will be).
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #252
Shinzzze
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I'm week 6 at Bremerhaven due to RAM shortage now (I was told now they are retrofitting RAMs in Germany). Is it normal? Car is inbound to Toronto.

My SA said she added a note to "prioritize" my car but I don't have confident of how much it gonna do at this point. Any info on the availability of RAM at Bremerhaven? Any similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #253
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinzzze View Post
I'm week 6 at Bremerhaven due to RAM shortage now (I was told now they are retrofitting RAMs in Germany). Is it normal? Car is inbound to Toronto.

My SA said she added a note to "prioritize" my car but I don't have confident of how much it gonna do at this point. Any info on the availability of RAM at Bremerhaven? Any similar experience?
I've been seeing recent posts saying they're retrofitting them in Germany before shipping, but 6 weeks seem abnormal.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13472.00
      10-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #254
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Call me a Pollyanna, but in your situation I think sugar will work better than vinegar. Since a hard pull on your credit score won’t have any significant adverse effect, that’s your “BATNA” (best alternative to a negotiated agreement). That said, try persuading the dealer’s F&I manager or GM to extend the lock to 120 days, or call BMW FS yourself to see if it’s possible.

Given you’re only awaiting the RAM retrofit, the stop sale should only be a couple weeks, based on the latest experiences of other forum members. And given you’re leasing, it’s to your advantage to lock in the base rate you have (.00093, vs. .00096 as of October — and who knows what November will be).
The dealer has no say in extending the finance lock. All the dealer can do is call and ask. The business manager could call their finance rep and ask, probably quickest and the best chance of success if at all possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #255
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
I've been seeing recent posts saying they're retrofitting them in Germany before shipping, but 6 weeks seem abnormal.
I wonder if the destination VPC makes a difference? As a data point, my ordered G80 which was completed 9/23 or 9/24 went immediately to the port in Germany where it sat until departing on the Azul Ace to NJ early last week. As far as I know (based on the UK recall site when it was fully transparent), it left Germany with the RAM stop sale (as did plenty of other cars on that vessel).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #256
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

An update on my end. Car arrived in Brunswick with the RAM stop sale. Car was processed through Brunswick in 3 days with stop sale repairs done and stop sale lifted. Released for carrier on day 4 and at my dealer 2 days later. I'll pick it up next week.
Mety12.00
      10-19-2021, 10:12 AM   #257
mahmoodster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
An update on my end. Car arrived in Brunswick with the RAM stop sale. Car was processed through Brunswick in 3 days with stop sale repairs done and stop sale lifted. Released for carrier on day 4 and at my dealer 2 days later. I'll pick it up next week.
Great news. When did you find out the stop sale was lifted? Asking because mine is in Brunswick and stop sale was still on as of yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #258
biznis32
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

@shinzzze I also have a ram stop sale but hoping my car will be in Toronto by mid November. I was week 38 and I haven’t check in with my SA. I hope it’s not going to be 6 weeks….
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #259
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Great news. When did you find out the stop sale was lifted? Asking because mine is in Brunswick and stop sale was still on as of yesterday.
My buddy (sales manager) looked up my car in the system and saw it was released to carrier and that is how we knew the stop sale was lifted. Based on my experience, I'd expect yours will be fixed very soon. The parts are obviously available.
      10-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #260
mahmoodster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My buddy (sales manager) looked up my car in the system and saw it was released to carrier and that is how we knew the stop sale was lifted.
That's awesome. Was wondering if you found that out today because it seems our cars are in the same place. I just don't want to ask my rep every day, but I will ask if it was lifted if you found out today. Not sure if I'm making sense lol
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #261
Sinjen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grigio Telesto '22 M4CX

Quote:
Still seems like BS to me. What if you're paying cash? I've never been asked for more than $1,000 deposit using my credit card to place an order. I didn't even have to do that with my G83, although I've bought all my previous BMWs from them
Well you have multiple purchases, so that's definitely a reason to give you the benefit of the doubt. Remember too, they don't want people flipping allocations.

If you're paying cash, they can still require a credit app, and you can require them to fuck off. It's just the stupid games dealers play. If you want a car, they have an alloc and you're going to finance anyway, I have no problem doing the app. It get's you the lock.

Another thing that is nice about it is that you can get the finance negotiation out the way early. I have the .9% in writing, whereas some guys here got screwed by the fini managers padding the rates at contract signing. You have more leverage when you're not sitting there with a car waiting.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #262
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My buddy (sales manager) looked up my car in the system and saw it was released to carrier and that is how we knew the stop sale was lifted.
That's awesome. Was wondering if you found that out today because it seems our cars are in the same place. I just don't want to ask my rep every day, but I will ask if it was lifted if you found out today. Not sure if I'm making sense lol
I found out my car was released to carrier last Wednesday and it was at my dealer on Friday. I'm in South Florida so transport from Brunswick usually takes no more than a couple of days.
      10-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #263
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjen View Post
Quote:
Still seems like BS to me. What if you're paying cash? I've never been asked for more than $1,000 deposit using my credit card to place an order. I didn't even have to do that with my G83, although I've bought all my previous BMWs from them
Well you have multiple purchases, so that's definitely a reason to give you the benefit of the doubt. Remember too, they don't want people flipping allocations.

If you're paying cash, they can still require a credit app, and you can require them to fuck off. It's just the stupid games dealers play. If you want a car, they have an alloc and you're going to finance anyway, I have no problem doing the app. It get's you the lock.

Another thing that is nice about it is that you can get the finance negotiation out the way early. I have the .9% in writing, whereas some guys here got screwed by the fini managers padding the rates at contract signing. You have more leverage when you're not sitting there with a car waiting.
Yes. Or, apply for the .9% from BMWFS directly.

Before I got an allocation from my preferred dealership, I reached out to two more. One wanted me to fill out a credit app before putting me on the list. I said no, and he still called me to tell me he had an allocation before my preferred dealership had a chance to.

No doubt many may ask for one. Still makes no sense to do it though
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #264
Sinjen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grigio Telesto '22 M4CX

Quote:
Yes. Or, apply for the .9% from BMWFS directly.

Before I got an allocation from my preferred dealership, I reached out to two more. One wanted me to fill out a credit app before putting me on the list. I said no, and he still called me to tell me he had an allocation before my preferred dealership had a chance to.

No doubt many may ask for one. Still makes no sense to do it though
The .9% is direct. The app through BMWFS goes straight to the dealer. To re-up my rate lock, BMWFS told to me to talk to the dealer, wouldn't take another app. BMWFS does nothing but underwrite the loan. I emailed the FM and asked for the updated lock in writing and got it.

Again, it makes sense to get a rate lock when the rate is favorable especially when there are supply issues. Normally, you'd never come close to expiring a rate in the duration of a normal car purchase. This isn't a normal car purchase. I ordered my car in July...it hasn't left the factory yet. By the time my contract is ready to be signed, two full lock cycles will have passed.

It does zero harm to get the app done, and can only work in your favor.
Appreciate 0