BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #23
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Its back to the autoexpress review by Steve Sutcliffe. The car's one perceived immediate weakness is its steering in relation to the M2 CS and M5 CS. Those cars had software tunes that weighted the steering and gave the perception of steering feel. 230 miles in, the M4 CSL does not have that. If it requires everything be on sport plus + Cup2s, then we'll just have to find that over time. Also means that even in comfort, the M2 CS and M5 CS are getting artificial weighting. The M4 CSL steering on the other hand, is extremely light. Possibly also tuned that way to give the perception of lightness. Coming out of the M2 CS into the CSL, the M2 CS feels like a much heavier beefy car by comparison.

Everything else about the car is a masterpiece. You even quickly realize the gearbox is pretty amazing, it has to be the best ZF Auto implementation so far.
With power steering, how can you get "artificial weighing"? You have either more or less assist. A lighter steering simply means more assist.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2022, 05:38 PM   #24
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
"Fortunately, the grip is unfathomable and the steering feel is so linear and tactile, which make the car remarkably easy to trust."

"With standard Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R tires, it holds onto its massive speed almost to the point where you feel your cheeks departing from your face under aggressive lateral acceleration."
so they apparently can create a steering that is tactile, which they have not been able to in any model so far

i need to see this cheek deformation to believe it. how many Gs compared to the standard M4 on the same wheel and tires?

my heart is not racing
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 10:03 PM   #25
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
so they apparently can create a steering that is tactile, which they have not been able to in any model so far

i need to see this cheek deformation to believe it. how many Gs compared to the standard M4 on the same wheel and tires?

my heart is not racing
does your leaf get ya goin?
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2022, 11:54 AM   #26
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
does your leaf get ya goin?
no, neither does the 340

my 2013 Audi S4 did.

the M3/M4 would, but I'm sure I'd go to jail. i just thought the author was exaggerating a bit much.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #27
Gunnerforlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17GTI & M4CSL- Ex M2CS & M3CS

Quote:
Its back to the autoexpress review by Steve Sutcliffe. The car's one perceived immediate weakness is its steering in relation to the M2 CS and M5 CS. Those cars had software tunes that weighted the steering and gave the perception of steering feel. 230 miles in, the M4 CSL does not have that. If it requires everything be on sport plus + Cup2s, then we'll just have to find that over time. Also means that even in comfort, the M2 CS and M5 CS are getting artificial weighting. The M4 CSL steering on the other hand, is extremely light. Possibly also tuned that way to give the perception of lightness. Coming out of the M2 CS into the CSL, the M2 CS feels like a much heavier beefy car by comparison.

Everything else about the car is a masterpiece. You even quickly realize the gearbox is pretty amazing, it has to be the best ZF Auto implementation so far.
The steering is more light than the M2 CS, however once you get used to it, you'll appreciate the lightness. It just makes the overall driving experience over longer periods of time more pleasant and flowing. As for steering feel, I'm starting to feel I'm getting more feel through the steering after 500 miles. Not sure if it's because I just got used to the lightness and feel or something else. Also, with stickier tires the steering will have more resistance.
Appreciate 2
ScullyD5165.50
      11-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #28
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerforlife View Post
The steering is more light than the M2 CS, however once you get used to it, you'll appreciate the lightness. It just makes the overall driving experience over longer periods of time more pleasant and flowing. As for steering feel, I'm starting to feel I'm getting more feel through the steering after 500 miles. Not sure if it's because I just got used to the lightness and feel or something else. Also, with stickier tires the steering will have more resistance.
I always found the M2 steering feel to be overly heavy for no good reason, the 718 steering feel is also heavy but you have the feel of everything that accompanies the weight to its kind of natural, the CSL and even the normal M4 steering makes more sense to me than the M2 ever did.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 2
ScullyD5165.50
      11-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #29
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerforlife View Post
Quote:

I noticed this as well and really noticed on my previous 718 GT4. When I took it for a test drive I wasn't THAT impressed with steering on the Porsche but after 900 miles or so, made a huge objective difference. I think it has to do with tires but also the suspension settling in. If you're a serious track rack or sensitive to steering, it is recommended to get wheels alignment after several hundred miles.
Appreciate 2
PLF693766.00
      12-27-2022, 04:12 PM   #30
Gunnerforlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17GTI & M4CSL- Ex M2CS & M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purekoryo View Post
I noticed this as well and really noticed on my previous 718 GT4. When I took it for a test drive I wasn't THAT impressed with steering on the Porsche but after 900 miles or so, made a huge objective difference. I think it has to do with tires but also the suspension settling in. If you're a serious track rack or sensitive to steering, it is recommended to get wheels alignment after several hundred miles.
Thank you for the great advice. I did that while doing my break-in service and the alignment was out of spec. I'm very sensitive to steering and getting the alignment made a considerable difference.
Appreciate 0