BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-22-2022, 03:54 PM   #23
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Definitely! Related note: who's going to put the meet thread up once we pick a location? Or should we make a "location TBD" thread as a save the date for now?
I think we need to decide on a place to meet up before we make a post. Then that prevents people from having to remember to come back to the thread to see where the meetup is. Lets get decided on the meetup spot, and then we can generate the post.

Congrats on the front page post.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #24
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

The car looks great bro. I'm happy for you. The G8X is such a great car.

Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 05:10 PM   #25
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
Beautiful car! Glad you finally got it. Also, I love the comparison write up. The M440i and M4 Comp really are completely different cars.
Yeah. I’d say the M440 is 90% of the M4 and a truly excellent car…but as with many things, that last 10% can be a huge difference still.

I imagine I’ll add to this thread with more thoughts and observations after another week or two and once the breakin period is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I think we need to decide on a place to meet up before we make a post. Then that prevents people from having to remember to come back to the thread to see where the meetup is. Lets get decided on the meetup spot, and then we can generate the post.

Congrats on the front page post.
Fair point, and thanks! Damn, I drop a post and go to the gym and I’m on the front page before I even finish my workout?! You guys are all awesome. Really feelin the love and glad you’re all enjoying the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The car looks great bro. I'm happy for you. The G8X is such a great car.

Thanks dude! I may be coming down to LA again in a few months - will keep you posted.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 05:46 PM   #26
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Very nice! I remember you deciding if you should go up to the M. Did you say your payments were only $40 more? Did I read that correctly?!?? I'm also going to be ordering a G80. Like you said the M340 is plenty fast and you'll never use all the power often but that's not the point lol
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3328.50
      11-22-2022, 05:51 PM   #27
sljblk4est
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4C RWD

Garage List
My 2023 Aventurin Red M4 has already been built and is sitting on the lot somewhere in Bremerhaven waiting for a ship... I'm hoping the delays in shipping get resolved soon. It would be nice to have my M4 for Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.

I didn't wait for the mod bug to hit... I knew what I wanted to do before I ordered the car. I am planning on getting some after-market wheels, probably Apex VS-5RS Forged, soon after I get the car. I will be going 20x10/20x11 from the standard 19"/20". I'll switch the rear tires (285/30-20) to the front and get either 295/30-20 or 305/30-20 new tires for the rear. Still trying to decide which color to get for the new wheels. I'm leaning towards the Anthracite with Satin Bronze a close second choice. I need to figure out how to photoshop both of those options into a pic of an M4 in Aventurin Red, so I can decide.

I didn't order the external Carbon Fiber package, because I wanted to have more CF than that package offered. But, I didn't want to pay the BMW prices for the additional parts... I ordered a set of H & R Sport Lowering springs and already have those. Those will get also installed shortly after I get the car. I also ordered some Sequential Turn signal inserts for the Mirrors. I have those on my Estoril Blue 2018 440i and get many compliments.

I love my 440i and will have over 102k miles, in 5 1/2 years, when I trade it in for my new M4. It has been so much fun to drive, obviously by the mileage accrued. Over the last 50k miles, I have averaged 29.5 MPG. I'm sure that won't be true of the M4, even under the best conditions. Oh well, there's always a cost for fun...

I was torn between the Tanzanite Blue and the Aventurin Red when I ordered my M4, I decided on the Aventurin Red because there are fewer M4's in that color. I really wanted to get Laguna Seca Blue, but it was not available as an Individual Color choice for the M4.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new ride. I know that I am going to enjoy mine when it gets here.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #28
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Congrats, I remember reading your initial post on the M440. I know exactly what you mean about the brakes, and glad to hear the M4 is a bit different. It's about my only gripe with the G22. We'll be doing the same upgrade in the next year or so.
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2022, 06:29 PM   #29
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Very nice! I remember you deciding if you should go up to the M. Did you say your payments were only $40 more? Did I read that correctly?!?? I'm also going to be ordering a G80. Like you said the M340 is plenty fast and you'll never use all the power often but that's not the point lol
Sorry - $40 more was in reference to the final negotiation on dealer numbers, not G22 vs G82.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljblk4est View Post
My 2023 Aventurin Red M4 has already been built and is sitting on the lot somewhere in Bremerhaven waiting for a ship... I'm hoping the delays in shipping get resolved soon. It would be nice to have my M4 for Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.

I didn't wait for the mod bug to hit... I knew what I wanted to do before I ordered the car. I am planning on getting some after-market wheels, probably Apex VS-5RS Forged, soon after I get the car. I will be going 20x10/20x11 from the standard 19"/20". I'll switch the rear tires (285/30-20) to the front and get either 295/30-20 or 305/30-20 new tires for the rear. Still trying to decide which color to get for the new wheels. I'm leaning towards the Anthracite with Satin Bronze a close second choice. I need to figure out how to photoshop both of those options into a pic of an M4 in Aventurin Red, so I can decide.

I didn't order the external Carbon Fiber package, because I wanted to have more CF than that package offered. But, I didn't want to pay the BMW prices for the additional parts... I ordered a set of H & R Sport Lowering springs and already have those. Those will get also installed shortly after I get the car. I also ordered some Sequential Turn signal inserts for the Mirrors. I have those on my Estoril Blue 2018 440i and get many compliments.

I love my 440i and will have over 102k miles, in 5 1/2 years, when I trade it in for my new M4. It has been so much fun to drive, obviously by the mileage accrued. Over the last 50k miles, I have averaged 29.5 MPG. I'm sure that won't be true of the M4, even under the best conditions. Oh well, there's always a cost for fun...

I was torn between the Tanzanite Blue and the Aventurin Red when I ordered my M4, I decided on the Aventurin Red because there are fewer M4's in that color. I really wanted to get Laguna Seca Blue, but it was not available as an Individual Color choice for the M4.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new ride. I know that I am going to enjoy mine when it gets here.
I think you'll be very happy with that color. In my opinion it's the red equivalent of Tanzanite. Very dynamic and deep. I think it could maybe be a touch darker towards wine red, but if I went with a red it would still be my first choice. Damast and a couple of the others are darker, but don't have the same metallic glean in the light like Tanzanite / Aventurine (at least, going by the visualizer - I haven't seen any in person).

I HAVE been shopping wheels but haven't decided on which ones to get yet. I'd like to keep the OEM spacing and whatnot, but it seems like every aftermarket option I look at and like ends up being wider and more aggressive. Which isn't necessarily bad, just not quite what I want. I've got my eye on these Vivid Racing D05s (which half of you are probably sick of hearing me mention and are screaming at your monitor "just get them already!!!!") at 20x10 and 20x11 vs the OEM 19x9.5 and 20x9.5 (I think that's the OEM size, I'll have to double check). I also haven't decided on a square setup potentially.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 06:41 PM   #30
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Tanzanite/Tartufo -- gorgeous color combo! Congrats!
      11-22-2022, 06:57 PM   #31
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

Congrats on the new toy Norcalathlete. It is spectacular. Enjoy it
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 07:26 PM   #32
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Congrats and I can mirror most of the things you said. The seatbelt butler omission kind of threw me I guess because I was so used to it in the G22. I guess I get it, but that and the rear cupholders like the vert has would have been nice.
The break in period is a bitch...

Enjoy!
      11-22-2022, 07:30 PM   #33
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

Thanks for the first post. That really useful for me!
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 07:42 PM   #34
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Congrats on the upgrade! I came from an American V8 back to BMW when I got my M4 and have no regrets at all. Positives for both cars and that V8 sound is the best, but the M4 is much more "me." Enjoy in good health!
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 08:16 PM   #35
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post
Congrats and I can mirror most of the things you said. The seatbelt butler omission kind of threw me I guess because I was so used to it in the G22. I guess I get it, but that and the rear cupholders like the vert has would have been nice.
The break in period is a bitch...

Enjoy!
Yeah, the seatbelt butler is missed I know it was probably for some minor weight savings but...I feel like the convenience outweighs the savings when the car's already so heavy.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 08:23 PM   #36
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:

I'm guessing, since you didn't mention it, that this car is going to be RWD? Those specs won't work on xDrive.

Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 10:05 PM   #37
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Congrats on the M4! I recognize all those spots off 35.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 10:11 PM   #38
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

NorCalAthlete Congrats on your new M4. I'm at Steven's Creek BMW once or twice a week buying parts. But the cars on the lot are priced much higher than other BMW dealerships. So I've never once thought to buy a car there.

If you don't mind me asking, who's your CA... ? And how do you like Silicon Valley Garage... ? I usually go to a nice place in Fremont. But alway open to perhaps better shops!

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 11:31 PM   #39
sljblk4est
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I'm guessing, since you didn't mention it, that this car is going to be RWD? Those specs won't work on xDrive.
Yes, it is RWD
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      11-22-2022, 11:36 PM   #40
sljblk4est
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Sorry - $40 more was in reference to the final negotiation on dealer numbers, not G22 vs G82.

I think you'll be very happy with that color. In my opinion it's the red equivalent of Tanzanite. Very dynamic and deep. I think it could maybe be a touch darker towards wine red, but if I went with a red it would still be my first choice. Damast and a couple of the others are darker, but don't have the same metallic glean in the light like Tanzanite / Aventurine (at least, going by the visualizer - I haven't seen any in person).

I HAVE been shopping wheels but haven't decided on which ones to get yet. I'd like to keep the OEM spacing and whatnot, but it seems like every aftermarket option I look at and like ends up being wider and more aggressive. Which isn't necessarily bad, just not quite what I want. I've got my eye on these Vivid Racing D05s (which half of you are probably sick of hearing me mention and are screaming at your monitor "just get them already!!!!") at 20x10 and 20x11 vs the OEM 19x9.5 and 20x9.5 (I think that's the OEM size, I'll have to double check). I also haven't decided on a square setup potentially.
I am looking at a "less busy" wheel design than stock wheels. The Vivid Racing wheels are nice looking, but too busy for me. But, I don't care for the wider 5-spoke designs either..... Busy, in my definition means a lot more difficult to keep clean. Not a big fan of the brake dust that these Beemers generate. I am 72 years old and bending or kneeling down to clean the wheels correctly is not as comfortable as it once was.... I have BBS CH-R alloys on my 2018 440i and those are about as "busy" of a design as I want. Those are a 7 double-spoke design. The Apex VS-5RS are a 5 double-spoke design.

Last edited by sljblk4est; 11-22-2022 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Clarifications
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13021.50
2011ninja3328.50
      11-22-2022, 11:50 PM   #41
Bucheeri90
Private
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Great details, I enjoyed reading the post, enjoy your ride
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2022, 12:53 AM   #42
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
NorCalAthlete Congrats on your new M4. I'm at Steven's Creek BMW once or twice a week buying parts. But the cars on the lot are priced much higher than other BMW dealerships. So I've never once thought to buy a car there.

If you don't mind me asking, who's your CA... ? And how do you like Silicon Valley Garage... ? I usually go to a nice place in Fremont. But alway open to perhaps better shops!

Shot you a DM with my CA's info. I've bought...I dunno, all total probably 15 vehicles from dealers in my life? He's easily in the top 3 I've dealt with. I mean the bar can be pretty low for a "good" car salesperson but he's solid.

As for SVG - fantastic customer service, close and easy to get to, and highly reasonable pricing so far from what I've seen. Good enough for me. I do have to bring my car back in a couple weeks for reinspection to see how the PPF settled and I can see a couple spots they'll have to redo, but that can happen anywhere. From what I've heard from 3 shops now is the GXX fronts have a design that just makes it difficult with lots of weird little angles. They do roll the edges and whatnot as much as possible, which is good too.

Quote:
I am looking at a "less busy" wheel design than stock wheels. The Vivid Racing wheels are nice looking, but too busy for me. But, I don't care for the wider 5-spoke designs either..... Busy, in my definition means a lot more difficult to keep clean. Not a big fan of the brake dust that these Beemers generate. I am 72 years old and bending or kneeling down to clean the wheels correctly is not as comfortable as it once was.... I have BBS CH-R alloys on my 2018 440i and those are about as "busy" of a design as I want. Those are a 7 double-spoke design. The Apex VS-5RS are a 5 double-spoke design.
Fair enough, yeah they're definitely busy and about at the limit of what I'd consider but they look really good I think. For cleaning, I hear ceramic coating them can help a bit, also different brake pads make a huge difference, and then hit them with some Sonax, let it soak, and foam cannon it all off. That gets probably 90% of the brake dust off in one go with no bending down. Anything more than that with brushes and whatnot I'm only going to bother with if I'm going to a show coming up.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 10:19 AM   #43
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
I agree completely with your comments about braking. My '22 540i exhibits the same behavior under light braking. Impossible to be smooth with it. I can see the transmission is downshifting, which appears to be part of the cause. I have other BMWs with ZF automatics, but not this particular transmission. Ultimately, not a desirable behavior.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2022, 10:25 AM   #44
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
Congrats on the M4! I recognize all those spots off 35.
Hah! Yeah it was getting dark so I didn't hit all of them but IYKYK. More pics will be coming from 35, Mt Tam, Mt Hamilton, Monterey, etc...plus probably just some random ones like in front of Google, Meta, Zoom, Adobe, Cisco, Roku, Netflix, Microsoft, I dunno. There are tons of photo opp sites around the bay area. I'm debating on getting a drone for some shots - Crystal Springs reservoir has some great looks but you can't quite get your car close enough for the shot from the ground.

I'll also be doing some highway 1 cruising and of course Alice's here and there. You should come to the meetup on the 3rd!
Appreciate 1
Jmpascual687.50