BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-20-2023, 02:19 PM   #1
ESJ23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2CS

G80 M3 CS vs 2017+ Nissan GT-R Nismo

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have been debating this question for the past few months. Out the gate they are very similar cars once you think about it - heavy use of carbon fiber with a similar curb weight, similar performance both are sub 3 second 0-60 will run around 11.0 1/4 mile, factory titanium exhaust, both are super limited vehicles. Biggest differences are the transmission (8 speed Zf8 vs 6 speed dct) and one being a sedan the other a coupe with a large rear wing.

What are your thoughts on this? Which would you rather park in the garage?
Attached Images

Last edited by ESJ23; 04-20-2023 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
holmar888289.00
DO4441408.50
      04-20-2023, 02:38 PM   #2
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

GTR Nismo - less of them. higher chance of being a collector car. 800cc more displacement than the s58. hydraulic steering rack. dct gearbox is better than zf8. more aftermarket support

M3 CS - newer tech, nicer interior, better daily. won't have civics buzzing around you trying to race. less men approaching you at gas stations.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 5
DO4441408.50
SpinalTap109.50
      04-20-2023, 02:59 PM   #3
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

I have not tracked the GTR market and not sure how hard it would be find an unmodified one. Unless i find a single owner well maintained stock GTR, i would try to find a M3cs. Warranty and practicality would tilt my vote towards the M3cs.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 10:24 PM   #4
Gottagofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp X-Drive

Well, the R35's design dates back to 2005 if not earlier. It's a much older platform soon (I think) to be discontinued. Everyone have moved to 7/8 speed DCT's or automatics and this dinosaur still has a 6 speed.

As a driver's car, BMW is king here. It might be slower in a straight line or have a lower engine tuning potential, but I'd still take it over the Nissan because it encourages driver involvement.

Almost every car reviewer that has driven the Nissan has raved about how fast it is on a track but also how disconnected they feel from the driving experience.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 10:46 PM   #5
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Definitely the GTR but I don’t think you can find a Nismo for the same price of a CS unless I’m mistaken. Latest I’ve seen them they’ve been 150k plus used. But for good reason. Their potential the way they feel and the way they look are all timeless and will age extremely well and appreciate in value imo. Haven’t seen any reviews of the CS yet but the GTR definitely feels more connected than a regular G80 as well. I’ve owned both and I’d choose the GTR unless I absolutely needed 4 doors.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 08:04 AM   #6
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
GTR Nismo - less of them. higher chance of being a collector car. 800cc more displacement than the s58. hydraulic steering rack. dct gearbox is better than zf8. more aftermarket support

M3 CS - newer tech, nicer interior, better daily. won't have civics buzzing around you trying to race. less men approaching you at gas stations.
CS - but I'm a BMWophile which why I am here, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Can't agree with "won't have civics buzzing around you trying to race" - I get that with my M3C in (relatively) discrete PB. Can't imagine how much a CS would attract the boy racer Civic mob!

BTW - the mere fact that the question is even asked is pretty telling about the the G8x model - has any previous M3 been considered a competitor for a GT-R ???
      04-21-2023, 09:40 AM   #7
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR_///M3 View Post

Can't agree with "won't have civics buzzing around you trying to race" - I get that with my M3C in (relatively) discrete PB. Can't imagine how much a CS would attract the boy racer Civic mob!

BTW - the mere fact that the question is even asked is pretty telling about the the G8x model - has any previous M3 been considered a competitor for a GT-R ???
well to do date no M3 has been this heavy or offered AWD.

I guess you could compare the E46 M3 to the R34 GTR. The nissan was built until 2002 in Japan.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 03:02 PM   #8
JFIV
Save the Manuals
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Base Alpine White

Prior GTR owner here.

If you were able to get the Nismo at a decent price I would go with that over the CS.

In regards to all the statements about the GTR feeling disconnected within reviews. I totally agree, the performance and capabilities of a normal GTR makes driving at speed limits dull. It’s only when using it for its potential is when it’s truly exciting.

For example, cruising around town I preferred taking my S2000 out when I owned one because it was more fun at lower speeds. However for longer hauls, open highway and track use I’d drive the GTR.

For resale, GTR has already appreciated way more than I ever expected and regret like hell for ever selling mine so I can’t think you would go wrong with a Nismo.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      04-21-2023, 05:42 PM   #9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

won't have civics buzzing around you trying to race. less men approaching you at gas stations.

this is cap
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 07:53 PM   #10
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR_///M3 View Post

I feel the opposite!! I feel the stock X drive cars should have crushed the GTR. People go on and on about how old the Nissan is yet the flagship of BMW M cars has the same performance as a decade + old platform. I like both cars. I’m lucky enough to drive a 1300 WHP GTR whenever I want. I must recommend if anyone buys 1, build it up!!!!
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      04-21-2023, 11:28 PM   #11
ESJ23
Enlisted Member
Rep

I’m also a previous owner of a GT-R premium. One of them I built to 630whp pump gas and also had a e85 tune that I never used as I felt like 600 was enough for me on the streets. Although I liked the car a lot, I never fell in love with it and at the time, the clunky transmission was a huge turn off, though I’ve learned to appreciate it now. I have never experienced the Nismo version and every time I found one and got close to pulling the trigger, I backed out with the latest opportunity being in 2020 but then I decided to go for the m2 CS and 21 supra for the same money. Looking back I probably should have given the Nismo a chance but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. With the M3 CS I have on order doesn’t seem like I will be getting one anytime soon either. Has anyone have owned or experienced driving the Nismo?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:29 PM   #12
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
Well, the R35's design dates back to 2005 if not earlier. It's a much older platform soon (I think) to be discontinued. Everyone have moved to 7/8 speed DCT's or automatics and this dinosaur still has a 6 speed.

As a driver's car, BMW is king here. It might be slower in a straight line or have a lower engine tuning potential, but I'd still take it over the Nissan because it encourages driver involvement.

Almost every car reviewer that has driven the Nissan has raved about how fast it is on a track but also how disconnected they feel from the driving experience.
I read they are updating it, at least one more time. Or, did I read that wrong?
Idk.

Thought I read recently that the platform is being updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #13
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFIV View Post
Prior GTR owner here.

If you were able to get the Nismo at a decent price I would go with that over the CS.

In regards to all the statements about the GTR feeling disconnected within reviews. I totally agree, the performance and capabilities of a normal GTR makes driving at speed limits dull. It’s only when using it for its potential is when it’s truly exciting.

For example, cruising around town I preferred taking my S2000 out when I owned one because it was more fun at lower speeds. However for longer hauls, open highway and track use I’d drive the GTR.

For resale, GTR has already appreciated way more than I ever expected and regret like hell for ever selling mine so I can’t think you would go wrong with a Nismo.
I mean, that’s pretty much the case with the g80/82 too. They aren’t exciting at normal speeds.

Agree on the relative value though.
They are a pretty rare car.

On looks alone I prefer the bmw.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 07:44 AM   #14
RTC3000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Performante,Z4 M40i,Trackhawk

Quote:

How? The ZF8 in the M3 CS (same setup as in the CSL) is faster than the Nismo's DCT, so where's the "better" in that?
Appreciate 1
suffer101.50
      04-25-2023, 10:44 AM   #15
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC3000 View Post
How? The ZF8 in the M3 CS (same setup as in the CSL) is faster than the Nismo's DCT, so where's the "better" in that?
the upshifts on zf8 are fine. its the downshifts that can be laggy and you lose that directness with the car. If ZF8 was good we'd see supercars using it. but they continue to use DCT boxes.

here is an excerpt from top gears review:

Quote:
No, the engine still lacks charisma, the digital dashboard readouts are a godawful mess and the eight-speed automatic gearbox feels like a saloon car transmission doing its very best karaoke impression of a proper sports car gearbox – downshifts are a particular disappointment, sluggish, soft and delayed. Give us back the old M-DCT twin-clutch any day. But if you can put up with all that, this is a monstrously fast and exploitable track car.
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...to/first-drive

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:01 AM   #16
RTC3000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Performante,Z4 M40i,Trackhawk

Quote:
the upshifts on zf8 are fine. its the downshifts that can be laggy and you lose that directness with the car. If ZF8 was good we'd see supercars using it. but they continue to use DCT boxes.

here is an excerpt from top gears review:

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...to/first-drive
No, the engine still lacks charisma, the digital dashboard readouts are a godawful mess and the eight-speed automatic gearbox feels like a saloon car transmission doing its very best karaoke impression of a proper sports car gearbox – downshifts are a particular disappointment, sluggish, soft and delayed. Give us back the old M-DCT twin-clutch any day. But if you can put up with all that, this is a monstrously fast and exploitable track car.

Funny, I also own a Huracan Performante with one of the best DCT systems on the market and I drove a regular M3 Comp on several occasions and I never had the feeling that the gearbox is sluggish, soft and delayed.

Sorry but the whole review seems to be not very positive, especially when the author claims that the engine lacks charisma. Seriously? This is the best turbo charged engine I ever drove and I owned many cars, incl. various 911 Turbos.
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4261.50
      04-26-2023, 01:10 PM   #17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
[B]

Funny, I also own a Huracan Performante with one of the best DCT systems on the market and I drove a regular M3 Comp on several occasions and I never had the feeling that the gearbox is sluggish, soft and delayed.
the 8 speed felt sluggish on downshifts during break in where i was driving like a weenie. but after break in, I didn't sense that at all opening up on the backroads. i have less than 3k miles (mostly in traffic) so its not like im familiarized enough to anticipate delays in shifts.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 04:48 PM   #18
ESJ23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I pulled the trigger. I traded in the M2 CS and picked her up Sunday. Initial reaction after first drive - Simply WOW. I wasn’t expecting it to feel this much of a difference compared to the GT-R premium. I will do a more thorough review once I get some more seat time and eventually do a comparison video once the M3 CS is delivered!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
EXE462100.00
somer961.00
ChiTownM1059.00
Aalfred2605.50
gnx759.50
      05-09-2023, 10:15 AM   #19
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Congratulations!!! Looks sharp, in black - I guess you love black cars.

How much did you get in trade in value for the CS if you don’t mind sharing.

I have never driven a GTR but have always admired what they are capable of. I also like the M3 CS and white or green would have been my pick if one was available in Chicago for straight purchase…..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 10:39 AM   #20
Debtm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 m3

Quote:

Sorry but the whole review seems to be not very positive, especially when the author claims that the engine lacks charisma. Seriously? This is the best turbo charged engine I ever drove and I owned many cars, incl. various 911 Turbos.
I agree about the this turbo engine being one of the best in my opinion much better than my 992 turbo s. I still prefer the engine in the 570s but nonetheless the m3 engine is incredible
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 03:35 PM   #21
TVonthe80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 TV G80 50j

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESJ23 View Post
Well I pulled the trigger. I traded in the M2 CS and picked her up Sunday. Initial reaction after first drive - Simply WOW. I wasn’t expecting it to feel this much of a difference compared to the GT-R premium. I will do a more thorough review once I get some more seat time and eventually do a comparison video once the M3 CS is delivered!
Ugh, that makes me miss my evo...its like a GTR minus the weight plus the manual.

For all the GTR owners in this thread, the one thing that always scared me off was the maintenance intervals and expense...are they more like supercar to maintain? I know the G80 is no honda, but I expect it to be similar to a vette whereas the R35 was always dinged in extended mileage tests for the upkeep.
      05-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #22
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVonthe80 View Post
Ugh, that makes me miss my evo...its like a GTR minus the weight plus the manual.

For all the GTR owners in this thread, the one thing that always scared me off was the maintenance intervals and expense...are they more like supercar to maintain? I know the G80 is no honda, but I expect it to be similar to a vette whereas the R35 was always dinged in extended mileage tests for the upkeep.
No difference from my experience. Change the oil/ do the diff/tranny flushes when recommended and you are fine. It’s not a Honda but it’s no where near an exotic.
Appreciate 1
TVonthe80210.50