BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #67
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

Really depends how you gonna go from here. First world problem but fact is fact. No repair can be better than original. Sucks even more when you're not at fault. If the neighbor is willing to pay for it out of pocket then at least it won't hit Carfax. If it does, it's going to leave a ding on value and it stinks. Not telling you to sell it undisclosed but just be prepared you will take another hit when doing so. Better factor that in the equation.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #68
AbdullahMDM
Enlisted Member
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Competition Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
It sucks, but if the neighbor is paying out of pocket (not insurance) and body panels are being replaced (not repaired), many auto body shops will not report their work to Carfax.

And since you're a long-term owner, you don't have to worry that much about diminished value anyway. The damage isn't horrible, and should be able to be perfectly corrected. Get it fixed, enjoy the hell out of the car, and laugh about this experience in five years.
The neighbor himself
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #69
jri_21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G83), BMW X6

Garage List
2022 BMW M4 G83  [8.33]
2022 BMW X6  [0.00]
Sorry to see that happen to you.
I recently had my 2020 F83 rear ended (expecting to make a nice profit, selling it when my G83 arrives).
I contacted a lawyer and he did inform me that the insurance company of the offending party has to pay for any loss of value on your car.
How does it apply to a new car that you're intending to keep, I'm not sure.
Certainly the best thing is to ask a lawyer with experience on this type of matter.
BTW…SUPER NICE color combo!!!🔥🔥🔥

Enjoy your G80!!!
      10-03-2022, 01:43 PM   #70
DaiLyCS
First Class
Rep
Drives: M

That's suck bro, I feel for you, but Things happened sometimes and we can't worry about the resale values too much. Just make sure the shop can fix it right and the paint to match, and drive the shit out it, take to track and daily that suckers. Make it worthwhile
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #71
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
I'm mostly replying just to voice my support. I think all of your fellow car enthusiasts (many with car-related OCD) truly share your pain. I commend you for your level-headed response to the situation.

There certainly is no lack of opinions on this thread (as to be expected)! My view on this is that, yes, it sucks, and no, the world has not ended. At the end of the day, you have some cosmetic/non-structural damage. If you pick the right shop, you will never know it happened.

In terms of DV claim, I think it depends how much time, effort and potentially money you want to sink in to this vs. just moving on with your life. Given you are going to keep the car long-term, I would just move along. Document the damage and the repair for when you do eventually sell or trade. If you keep the car in pristine condition (which I'm sure you will) that will trump some minor damage that was repaired well in 10 years or so.

GL!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 4
      10-03-2022, 02:02 PM   #72
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
FYI I don't think reporting to carfax is related to an Insurance claim. It is the body shop who would/could report it. I got reported to carfax from the body shop I ordered touch up paint paint front -BMW authorized shop. I had to challenge and jump through hoops to get it removed.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 02:18 PM   #73
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

Sell it, its over. No matter if its fixed, never will be the sams. You will always know it was hit and damaged
Appreciate 2
reNT265.50
      10-03-2022, 02:59 PM   #74
Ratius
Georgia
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MY 2018

[QUOTE=chicagofan00;29395323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It sucks, but if the neighbor is paying out of pocket (not insurance) and body panels are being replaced (not repaired), many auto body shops will not report their work to Carfax.
This is NOT my experience at all. Our dealer did very minor damage to the tailgate on our prior x3. The repair work was done in their own body shop and it hit our carfax as an accident repair.

Unless you buy the parts, have them painted off the car, install them yourself AND pay cash, expect a carfax hit.
My wife got rear ended and had $38k in damages fixed via insurance. So far nothing in the car fax and it's been over a year since it happened.
38 in damages and not totaled? I would have burned that bitch🔥🤣
Geico would not total it unless it was more than 80% of the total value.
Was it alway 80% or percentage went up after vehicle prices skyrocketed? (Not the USA citizen asking)
      10-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #75
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:

And since you're a long-term owner, you don't have to worry that much about diminished value anyway. The damage isn't horrible, and should be able to be perfectly corrected. Get it fixed, enjoy the hell out of the car, and laugh about this experience in five years.
Sadly- the report occurs from the insurance carrier. A shop does not report to CARFAX.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #76
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Came here just to bitch about the confusion most people make with the term “clean title”, as if all of a sudden a fender bender means the car no longer has a “clean title”, perpetuating this bs that makes cars be worth less than they should.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 03:58 PM   #77
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Sadly- the report occurs from the insurance carrier. A shop does not report to CARFAX.
Why would you say something you don’t know and pass it as truth?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #78
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
[QUOTE=Ratius;29399488]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
Quote:
Quote:
This is NOT my experience at all. Our dealer did very minor damage to the tailgate on our prior x3. The repair work was done in their own body shop and it hit our carfax as an accident repair.

Unless you buy the parts, have them painted off the car, install them yourself AND pay cash, expect a carfax hit.
My wife got rear ended and had $38k in damages fixed via insurance. So far nothing in the car fax and it's been over a year since it happened.
38 in damages and not totaled? I would have burned that bitch🔥🤣
Geico would not total it unless it was more than 80% of the total value.
Was it alway 80% or percentage went up after vehicle prices skyrocketed? (Not the USA citizen asking)
I'm not sure if this was a result of the inflated prices or just a policy they had in place for some time. Thankfully it's not something we've had to deal with on more than one occasion.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #79
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:
Have you ever assigned a CARFAX? A carrier cannot assign a loss unless it's their insured.

I know this because it's my job
Appreciate 1
Draper3454.00
      10-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #80
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Get a proper assesment anyway. Beside that fender is a structural thing (A pillar extension). Make sure that that thing is not damaged…
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:31 PM   #81
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think it's funny that you don't think it's true.

CARFAX gets their "intel" from a variety of places. But the carrier that's paying the loss cannot assign that car. So he might be okay if he's going through the other carrier. No fault states on the other hand- those are assigned because later the carrier later subrogates.

Also if you don't notify the carrier and pay out of packet- it doesn't hit the CARFAX.

Just trying to provide helpful- valid info. Nothing wrong here- insurance professionals will back this up too …
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #82
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

That sucks man.

The diminished value is the real issue long term. I would never buy a car with an accident on the car fax, even a minor one just because I know it would be harder for me to sell on later.

Very annoying.

My brand new G80 got scratched twice (very minor) by the same valet parking dick head so I feel your pain. They refused to pay out to top it all off
Appreciate 1
JK4791062.50
      10-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #83
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

This might be a stupid question, but once the replacement parts are in and installed can't you just have the PPF removed and then re-applied to the entire vehicle so the new parts look exactly as the rest of the car? Annoying situation for sure, but it's all about perspective.
      10-03-2022, 05:03 PM   #84
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

I had a similar situation couple years ago and I just remember that what bothered me the most was the fact that my m340 was something special and after the damage in the bumper it wasn't......
Surely some ocd here and there but I even remember considering changing the bumper (damaged part) or just let my brand new m340 go (less than 1000 km fully ppf) for that small thing....
At the end I kept the m340 repaired everything at the dealership and learned to live with it.... honestly it was a mental exercise day by day to dont give a f...

The way I see now is.... shit happened early in the game, now everything should be OK...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 05:20 PM   #85
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone View Post
I know a solution to DV on expensive cars.. Never buy one, rent it for 36 months and get a new one at the end.

Each of us has there own perspective in the own vs lease debate, but this thread is clearly the #1 reason leasing is a always the better option on cars like this. Someone hits my new M5.. I'll get it fixed and let BMW deal with it in 35 months. Not my problem. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the car can ever been certified by BMW if it's had body work/been painted.

NJ is a no fault state, meaning, that you have to submit any claim/damage on your car to your own insurance company, regardless of fault, and they will in turn subrograte against the neighbor's insurance co.

I will agree with others, though, that it's a beautiful car and will be again after the work is done. Good luck with it.
Accidents happen, from very minor to (God forbid) major.

This is just an accident with no injuries and a realization that the car no longer meets an illusionary standard of purity. Incidentally, the illusionary standard of purity also disintegrates when someone damages the bumper in the supermarket parking lot.

Cars can be fixed.

Just enjoy the car and leave the rest to the insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #86
Reckamech
Master of Disaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sport

Diminished value. Get that done with his insurance once the repair is done.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #87
NovaChris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 2017 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Why would you say something you don't know and pass it as truth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's insurance companies that share information with Carfax, not body shops.
I used to work for Carfax, this is the secret sauce they don't want to share.

I'll say for certain that they used to have a department that would solicit body shops to share information.

Insurance companies do share info, this is a fact.

Fun tip: When ordering a part like a fender from a dealer or online, use a vin that isn't yours.
Appreciate 5
      10-03-2022, 07:38 PM   #88
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower9525 View Post
Getting my M3 has been a fun, long process and I'm sure most of us can relate! After specing the car out and putting down a deposit in November of '21. To then patiently waiting while my build week got pushed further and further back. To then finally getting a July 27 Build date and updated to a '23 model year. To then see it fly through the build process and wait in Bremerhaven for only a few weeks until the car was loaded on the Liberty to make it's voyage to New York in about a month. To the experience of pick up my first brand new M car from the dealer(shout out BMW of Tenafly), winning the tire lottery. Driving it a few miles very slowly to drop it of at Auto Polishing Center in Waldwick NJ, they did a fantastic job on the stealth PPF, Ceramic coating and tints. To then picking up the car fully PPF'd, looking SOOOOO DAMN GOOD and ready to go. To then have the car at home for less than a week until my neighbor was backing up, wasn't paying attention to where he was going and hit my parked car.

The good news is my neighbor is taking full responsibility for it so I don't have to come out of pocket to fix it. It looks like its going to need a new fender and door and most likely side skirt as the clips snapped off the fender.

I plan to keep the car long term so this isn't a flipper question. I bought and financed the car and payed under MSRP, again thank you BMW of Tenafly. I have Ultimate Care + for 6 years/100K miles and all the tire and wheel insurances ect.

We all know that cars with accident histories sell for less than cars with clean titles and given that this car will have an accident on its history, even though it wasn't a serious accident, I assume it will be worth less. Has anyone been in this situation before? Is there any way of being fairly compensated from the insurance company for the loss in value of the car due to this accident?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures of the accident damage and some pictures when I picked it up fresh from APC after it got PPF'd
Wow thats a big job to be honest with you. Its only a fender but to do it right , shop will have to remove your paint protection film on the Hood, Front bumper, Lt Front door, LT Hinge pillar, and LT Quarter panel …. They'd have to blend those panels, and clear coat up and over into the left quarter panel. Left side doors coming off to clear coat the uniside. Then you'd have to wait at least a month for the paint to cure before applying clear film again on those panels…..