BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

09-24-2022, 09:11 PM   #1
iampgc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Coupe AWD (TBII / FB)

Traded in my G82 M4CXdrv for a Taycan 4s. Both amazing cars in different ways.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Went from a Tanzanite Blue G82 M4 Comp Xdrive to a Neptune Blue Taycan 4S.

Both are amazing cars and roughly cost the same amount of money each month. Great driver's cars both of them.

Taycan costs $400 more a month on my auto loan. Costs $300 less each month in terms of gas vs electricity. Porsche Taycan is surprisingly $60 cheaper each month for insurance.

The Taycan 4S feels more nimble than the G82. Definitely quieter for sure. Cabin is more comfortable in the Taycan and while it is a heavier and longer car, the Taycan feels smaller. I think this is primarily due to the rear wheel steering.

Miss the sound of the engine but I've gotten used to it. The steering feel of Porsche is loads better than the G82. Waking up to a full charge and not having to gas up is game changing.

Now, the M4 has much better tech in my experience so far. idrive is much better than the PCM. Also the merino leather that comes standard in the BMW feels much better than the standard interior of the Porsche.

Still awaiting verdict on what will depreciate more. Both look fantastic and you will not go wrong with either car in my opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
Jason40821.50
M4Tejas785.00
Limegrntaln13440.50
mray162.00
YamaLink425.00
Aalfred2605.50
      09-25-2022, 02:56 AM   #2
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
That Neptune Blue is beautiful!
      09-25-2022, 06:31 AM   #3
masd79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampgc View Post

Both are amazing cars and roughly cost the same amount of money each month. Great driver's cars both of them.

Taycan costs $400 more a month on my auto loan. Costs $300 less each month in terms of gas vs electricity. Porsche Taycan is surprisingly $60 cheaper each month for insurance.

The Taycan 4S feels more nimble than the G82. Definitely quieter for sure. Cabin is more comfortable in the Taycan and while it is a heavier and longer car, the Taycan feels smaller. I think this is primarily due to the rear wheel steering.

Miss the sound of the engine but I've gotten used to it. The steering feel of Porsche is loads better than the G82. Waking up to a full charge and not having to gas up is game changing.

Now, the M4 has much better tech in my experience so far. idrive is much better than the PCM. Also the merino leather that comes standard in the BMW feels much better than the standard interior of the Porsche.

Still awaiting verdict on what will depreciate more. Both look fantastic and you will not go wrong with either car in my opinion.
Taycan looks more expensive
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 08:01 AM   #4
PHXATC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 '20 430i '20 Explorer

I am not doubting, nor flaming you, however exactly how did you calculate the cost of electricity to charge and use in the Taycan that you actually incurred?

We are thinking of getting a Taycan or something similar, however I am not smart enough to actually determine how one would get a value for that electricity use (and cost) unless there is a KwH meter or data point on the car itself or charger that would tell you and then backwards interpolate that to the cost per KwH. It probably is that simply, I am just ignorant. LOL

Love the new and old cars tho!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #5
reNT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:

To quote fnf, "too soon junior". Electric cars are the future, so why rush it. But if you are not going to race tracks or on longer roadtrips, then it makes sense to get rid of an ICE car.

That Taycan looks super nice, congrats.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:36 AM   #6
iampgc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXATC View Post
I am not doubting, nor flaming you, however exactly how did you calculate the cost of electricity to charge and use in the Taycan that you actually incurred?

We are thinking of getting a Taycan or something similar, however I am not smart enough to actually determine how one would get a value for that electricity use (and cost) unless there is a KwH meter or data point on the car itself or charger that would tell you and then backwards interpolate that to the cost per KwH. It probably is that simply, I am just ignorant. LOL

When I made the initial decision, I used this calculator:
https://chooseev.com/savings-calculator/

It is relatively spot on for the BMW M4. I was getting 18 miles per gallon paying $4.5 to $4.8 a gallon of premium fuel. I drive about 1500 miles a month so that is about 83.3 gallons a month ($375 to $400 per month on fuel when I used it, but down to about $330 with gas coming down but never felt this though).

For the Taycan, I pay $0.12 per kwh. I use about 40kwh/100 miles with spirited driving so translates to about 2.5 miles / kwh. So same distance I use 600 kwh. That is equivalent to $72 based on my electricity rate. You can calculate the same by substituting your rate and driving distance.
Appreciate 3
PHXATC82.00
cvf2578.00
YamaLink425.00
      09-25-2022, 10:44 AM   #7
iampgc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reNT View Post
To quote fnf, "too soon junior". Electric cars are the future, so why rush it. But if you are not going to race tracks or on longer roadtrips, then it makes sense to get rid of an ICE car.

That Taycan looks super nice, congrats.
I used to think the same as you mentioned "Electric cars are the future, so why rush it". Loved my M4 and the F80 M3 that went before it. However, for my use case, I do not go to the track and use it more as a daily driver.

I test drove a Tesla Model 3 and Model S prior and those experiences were not good. However, got a chance to experience the I4 M50 and that made sense as a good car. Also had a a Ford Mach E for 2 weeks that gave me a sense of the conveniences of daily driving an EV.

I was supposed to go to a BMW i4 M50 and find a good pre owned Cayman GTS. However, my wife told me to try out the Taycan and see if I will be happy with that as my 1 car. Did so and was blown away on how good the car is and here we are. Porsche made an electric car that did not compromise driving. Best of both worlds and made electric cars the present in my case.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:49 AM   #8
iampgc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXATC View Post

Also, I do have a Chargepoint EV charger at home that does calculate your usage in kwh and converts to $ based on the rate you put into the App. I am currently trending to $75 for a month.
Appreciate 1
PHXATC82.00
      09-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #9
iampgc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
That Neptune Blue is beautiful!
Thank you! Both Tanzanite Blue and Neptune Blue are beautiful colors.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #10
PHXATC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 '20 430i '20 Explorer

Quote:
When I made the initial decision, I used this calculator:
https://chooseev.com/savings-calculator/

It is relatively spot on for the BMW M4. I was getting 18 miles per gallon paying $4.5 to $4.8 a gallon of premium fuel. I drive about 1500 miles a month so that is about 83.3 gallons a month ($375 to $400 per month on fuel when I used it, but down to about $330 with gas coming down but never felt this though).

For the Taycan, I pay $0.12 per kwh. I use about 40kwh/100 miles with spirited driving so translates to about 2.5 miles / kwh. So same distance I use 600 kwh. That is equivalent to $72 based on my electricity rate. You can calculate the same by substituting your rate and driving distance.
Awesome! Thanks for that link and the charger info that has the app. Good info. I do appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 04:07 PM   #11
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i coupe, C43amg sedan

How is the payment only $400 difference? Cheapest msrp on taycan 4s I've seen is 135k compared to loaded m4c xdrive of 95k. Anyways, I loved the taycan 4s when I test drove it but monthly payment (for a lease) was coming well over 2k which I thought was absurd. I haven't seen one in Los Angeles without a crazy markup either... congrats on the car though, gorgeous!

Last edited by Buddym850icoupe; 09-25-2022 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2022, 06:17 PM   #12
iampgc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddym850icoupe View Post
How is the payment only $400 difference? Cheapest msrp on taycan 4s I've seen is 135k compared to loaded m4c xdrive of 95k. Anyways, I loved the taycan 4s when I test drove it but monthly payment (for a lease) was coming well over 2k which I thought was absurd. I haven't seen one in Los Angeles without a crazy markup either... congrats on the car though, gorgeous!
Sorry wasn't fully fair now that I think about it. My M4 was brand new 2022 @ $94K while the Taycan 4S was $121K as a 2021 CPO with 7k miles (really good price in my opinion).

The M4 I had to pay sales tax in full at the time while I did benefit to trade in credit at the time of purchase on the Taycan.

This is partly from memory:
M4 - $101K after all fees, put $20k down - $81K loan
Taycan - $126K after all fees, $27k down - $99k loan

Edit: just to add, M4 was $89k MSRP sticker but I added tint, front lip, and carbon fiber mirrors through the dealer

So to be fair, probably should spread $7k difference across a 60 month term.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #13
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congratulations - if I had to, the Taycan is the only current EV that I’d purchase over an M4. Great car with a great driving experience. Looking forward to even more sporting EVs in the $100k-$200k range. So far, the Taycan is it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 03:38 PM   #14
iampgc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Congratulations - if I had to, the Taycan is the only current EV that I’d purchase over an M4. Great car with a great driving experience. Looking forward to even more sporting EVs in the $100k-$200k range. So far, the Taycan is it.
Agreed. Taycan is the only one. The i4m50 probably a far second.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 08:44 PM   #15
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Congrats! Taycan 4s is an amazing car. When I did the math I was comparing new to new so it was a bigger difference even including the savings in fuel. I would definitely consider one again though!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:55 AM   #16
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

I have the m3p and a g80. The m3p is excellent for the commute to work and all, but all I do during the work week is wait for my days off so I can drive my g80. The m3p just doesn't really have a soul to me. If you're a car person, EVs are just sold as is and can't be modified besides cosmetics, suspensions, and brakes. You can't make it faster and it's heavy. Good luck on road trips is all I can say as the drive will most likely double in time.

The taycan does look good. Congrats
      09-28-2022, 12:24 AM   #17
iampgc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshay View Post
I have the m3p and a g80. The m3p is excellent for the commute to work and all, but all I do during the work week is wait for my days off so I can drive my g80. The m3p just doesn't really have a soul to me. If you're a car person, EVs are just sold as is and can't be modified besides cosmetics, suspensions, and brakes. You can't make it faster and it's heavy. Good luck on road trips is all I can say as the drive will most likely double in time.

The taycan does look good. Congrats
I considered that where I have 1 car to do daily driving and 1 car for performance. With 1 car, I get the daily drivability and convenience of an EV with Porsche driving dynamics. I am happy every day. I do not think I compromised the fun and driving experience going from the G82 to a Taycan 4s.

In terms of road trips, I do think that will take more time. But I probably will only do road trips 3x a year. My wife also has an ICE SUV that we can use.

From my calculation, I divert my route about 8 mins to gas up at Costco 2x a week plus spend 5-10 mins lining up and filling the tank. That is ~30 mins a week, so 26 hours a year I am saving of my own time just plugging in at home which takes me 10 sec to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 01:08 AM   #18
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Great looking car OP. Im standing by on the electric cars, there will be more availability, coming soon. Right now, its hard to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddym850icoupe View Post
I'm not sure where the $95k comes from. This is my build, minus $4,000 for my car being a 2022, and I added Carbon buckets to this, which my car doesn't have. Which puts you in the $107K neighborhood. Add back in $2,700 for the OEM front lip, and you're close to $110k.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 03:33 PM   #19
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:

Congrats on the Taycan. How long does it take to get a full charge?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 09:14 PM   #20
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Love the Taycan. Great upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 07:42 AM   #21
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

I miss the home charging. Don't miss my 2021 Tesla. Can't wait for the likes of an EV Cayman or if BMW has a dedicated EV platform and improved styling of the i4M50. My state has super cheap electricity (10.22 cents per) and buying gas after a year of the Tesla was shocking (no pun intended), but my M4C is worth every second and cent at the pump. Live in cold weather state, have old ICE SUV, an EV is my daily/fun/sports car, and I'm hoping in 3 years EV sports cars are night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #22
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Great looking car OP. Im standing by on the electric cars, there will be more availability, coming soon. Right now, its hard to decide.

I'm not sure where the $95k comes from. This is my build, minus $4,000 for my car being a 2022, and I added Carbon buckets to this, which my car doesn't have. Which puts you in the $107K neighborhood. Add back in $2,700 for the OEM front lip, and you're close to $110k.
Of course, when you add in the $7 / gallon for gas out here in CA vs $4 in TX...that calculus also changes things a fair bit.

At OP's driving rate of ~83.3 gallons a month * $7.09 / gallon (latest I paid for premium) that's $590 vs his $375. So an extra ~$220 in fuel savings too.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13440.50