BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models)

06-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
rocknpop
Rep
Drives: Acura 3.2CLS

Please help me with purchase decision - '99 Z3 M

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
HELP: Hi community, I need your input to buy a '99 Z3 M with 97K miles. Here is the summary of the PPI:

FIXES:
- Biggest item is the thermostat is leaking; it likely needs the thermostat and water pump replaced (~$1K?)
- Rear brakes 3mm (need to replace); front 6mm
- Tires: 30% left on rear, 60% front
- Air bag light on bc of faulty seatbelt sensors
- Rear subframe was welded to be reinforced
- Fluids need to be flushed (differential, water pump, brake, trans)
- Rear shocks are seeping but not a big deal
- Seat heaters not working properly (could just be wiring)
- license plate light not working
- some seeping through drain plus & head gasket, tech only noted that it was grimey, but no leaks noted.

THE GOOD:
- motor is strong
- rare vehicle
- seats in good condition
- paint in good condition (all black)

The seller is asking for $13K. I estimate the repairs to be about $2-3K (??) to get it to a condition where I can drive it cross country (2,300 miles). Should I pull the trigger given all the repairs or are some of these red flags and I'm just buying several headaches?
This would be a fun, toy car. I am purchasing an X3 M40i as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
You haven't really said anything on the tranny. The shocks and tires won't be cheap either. Rarity is like beauty and in the eye of the beholder. I would offer $9500 noting the shocks, tires, and tranny and see if he comes down. I'm sure there is a middle road to meet at.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
rocknpop
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
You haven't really said anything on the tranny. The shocks and tires won't be cheap either. Rarity is like beauty and in the eye of the beholder. I would offer $9500 noting the shocks, tires, and tranny and see if he comes down. I'm sure there is a middle road to meet at.
Tranny checked out well.
Rear shocks have a slow leak, likely need replacing soon-ish, not immediate.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

how's the rear subframe. In general z3s are great, and the m version are a ton of fun. These cars have started appreciating in value in the last couple years. If you like it, I'd get it, clean it up have some fun. You most likely won't use any $$$ on it, even with the s52 vs S54. I'm in the minority, but I think the S52 motor is a better fit for this chassis.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #5
rocknpop
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-PA View Post
how's the rear subframe. In general z3s are great, and the m version are a ton of fun. These cars have started appreciating in value in the last couple years. If you like it, I'd get it, clean it up have some fun. You most likely won't use any $$$ on it, even with the s52 vs S54. I'm in the minority, but I think the S52 motor is a better fit for this chassis.
Rear subframe was welded to be reinforced
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #6
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknpop View Post
Tranny checked out well.
Rear shocks have a slow leak, likely need replacing soon-ish, not immediate.
Thanks. Keep in mind that if you replace the rear shocks, you should do the front as well. That will be some $$. IMO $9500 - $11k seems fair.

Additionally, the welding on the rear subframe raises a red flag for me. I understand you were told it was for additional strength, but why was it needed?. Anyway, as long as there is no rust on the frame or weld; you should be good. I assume your mechanic confirmed the frame is straight.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #7
rocknpop
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Thanks. Keep in mind that if you replace the rear shocks, you should do the front as well. That will be some $$. IMO $9500 - $11k seems fair.

Additionally, the welding on the rear subframe raises a red flag for me. I understand you were told it was for additional strength, but why was it needed?. Anyway, as long as there is no rust on the frame or weld; you should be good. I assume your mechanic confirmed the frame is straight.
Agreed. I guess it's a common thing to do as a preventive maintenance. The mechanic didn't find anything wrong with it, no cracks to indicate anything had started.

Regarding the shocks, yeah, that would be needed. The springs in the front are aftermarket but the shocks will be needed all around.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Agreed. I guess it's a common thing to do as a preventive maintenance. The mechanic didn't find anything wrong with it, no cracks to indicate anything had started.

Regarding the shocks, yeah, that would be needed. The springs in the front are aftermarket but the shocks will be needed all around.
Well, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
On Wheeler Dealers they also reinforced the rear subframe on their Z3 M Coupe. Stated it was a common location for cracking if not reinforced.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
HELP: Hi community, I need your input to buy a '99 Z3 M with 97K miles. Here is the summary of the PPI:

FIXES:
- Biggest item is the thermostat is leaking; it likely needs the thermostat and water pump replaced (~$1K?)
- Rear brakes 3mm (need to replace); front 6mm
- Tires: 30% left on rear, 60% front
- Air bag light on bc of faulty seatbelt sensors
- Rear subframe was welded to be reinforced
- Fluids need to be flushed (differential, water pump, brake, trans)
- Rear shocks are seeping but not a big deal
- Seat heaters not working properly (could just be wiring)
- license plate light not working
- some seeping through drain plus & head gasket, tech only noted that it was grimey, but no leaks noted.

THE GOOD:
- motor is strong
- rare vehicle
- seats in good condition
- paint in good condition (all black)

The seller is asking for $13K. I estimate the repairs to be about $2-3K (??) to get it to a condition where I can drive it cross country (2,300 miles). Should I pull the trigger given all the repairs or are some of these red flags and I'm just buying several headaches?
This would be a fun, toy car. I am purchasing an X3 M40i as well.
I'll chime in as a previous S52 Z3M owner. First off, I'm assuming this is a coupe and not roadster since you said it was rare?

The subframe was a very well know issue and if the welds look good, then you should be fine. The S52 engine is essentially bulletproof with good maintenance. If the thermostat is leaking, then I would opt to replace the entire cooling system since you'll be in there anyways and will be flushing other fluids too: water pump, expansion tank, upper/lower hoses, thermostat, radiator, etc. This will be the most time consuming and expensive issue; tires may be expensive depending on what you choose.

Regarding the water pump, OEM spec is a plastic impeller, but many opted for the Steward version which is metal and will last a lifetime. A lot more costly, but having the plastic impeller shatter into pieces will be a lot more expensive.

Show me a previous owner who's airbag light wasn't on....there's a few fixes that you can find online, but with this car, not an immediate issue. Shocks and brakes should be fine for now. $13K for a coupe isn't bad, but too much for a roadster.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #11
rocknpop
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
I'll chime in as a previous S52 Z3M owner. First off, I'm assuming this is a coupe and not roadster since you said it was rare?

The subframe was a very well know issue and if the welds look good, then you should be fine. The S52 engine is essentially bulletproof with good maintenance. If the thermostat is leaking, then I would opt to replace the entire cooling system since you'll be in there anyways and will be flushing other fluids too: water pump, expansion tank, upper/lower hoses, thermostat, radiator, etc. This will be the most time consuming and expensive issue; tires may be expensive depending on what you choose.

Regarding the water pump, OEM spec is a plastic impeller, but many opted for the Steward version which is metal and will last a lifetime. A lot more costly, but having the plastic impeller shatter into pieces will be a lot more expensive.

Show me a previous owner who's airbag light wasn't on....there's a few fixes that you can find online, but with this car, not an immediate issue. Shocks and brakes should be fine for now. $13K for a coupe isn't bad, but too much for a roadster.
Very useful. Thank you. I think I’ll pass on the car. Too many headaches upcoming.
Appreciate 0