Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellapizza View Post
God this car just looks worse and worse everyday. Hope the Asian market enjoys it smh, whole reason BMW made the big ass grill- bending over to appeal to them.
Why would the asian market like it?

I'm pretty sure the dislike of the new aesthetic is proportionately equal regardless of demographics.
Bingo. The micro aggression is predictable and honestly sad as most of these people making such ignorant assumptions have passports collecting dust if they have one at all. Lmao

USA is still by far the leading market in M sales. It's not a China thing. It's a rich are getting younger thing. M is moving upmarket price wise and down the age range demo wise. Look at the crowd around it. A lot of young bucks hangry for a piece o dat M Perf and it'll be the same all around the globe and on sm.

So I say if you go G8X go unabashedly big and get the entire kit including the exhaust. Lower it on some black HRE 300 classics and it's a SEMA exhibit contender, ig likes whore straight outta Germany.
Wes335XI107.00
      04-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #46
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Wheels are great. Rest of it is incredibly ostentatious to me.
      04-22-2021, 08:27 PM   #47
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Quote:
God this car just looks worse and worse everyday. Hope the Asian market enjoys it smh, whole reason BMW made the big ass grill- bending over to appeal to them.
Why would the asian market like it?

I'm pretty sure the dislike of the new aesthetic is proportionately equal regardless of demographics.
Bingo. The micro aggression is predictable and honestly sad as most of these people making such ignorant assumptions have passports collecting dust if they have one at all. Lmao

USA is still by far the leading market in M sales. It's not a China thing. It's a rich are getting younger thing. M is moving upmarket price wise and down the age range demo wise. Look at the crowd around it. A lot of young bucks hangry for a piece o dat M Perf and it'll be the same all around the globe and on sm.

So I say if you go G8X go unabashedly big and get the entire kit including the exhaust. Lower it on some black HRE 300 classics and it's a SEMA exhibit contender, ig likes whore straight outta Germany.
China is the fastest growing and most important market for BMW. It would be ignorant of BMW to not keep that market in mind during product development.
      04-22-2021, 08:27 PM   #48
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Seems like BMW is trying to make EVERYONE hate the looks of this car.

It seems like someone took a Civic Type R and put bmw badges and a figly grill on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:00 PM   #49
annabellapizza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

lol "micro aggression"? You must work for buzzfeed. Im just saying that the asian market def has a liking for big grills like the spindle from lexus. BMW is trying to appeal to them- just like they did with the first huge 7 series grill around 2019ish
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #50
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Damn covid!
I miss auto shows!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #51
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Quote:

lol "micro aggression"? You must work for buzzfeed. Im just saying that the asian market def has a liking for big grills like the spindle from lexus. BMW is trying to appeal to them- just like they did with the first huge 7 series grill around 2019ish
Hey SeanWRT, you think this dude can point out on a map where and what "Asia" is and show us how BMW managers are perhaps applying AI/ML to determine that indeed big grills on two low volume models in the M3/4 and 7 series = revenue out of "Asia?"

And then look into his noggin to see how one conflates the LC500 big arse grill to the G8X's?

Wtf

BTW, Shanghai, awesome city. Home of the big grill lovers because you know Asia Republic according to some. Lmao
      04-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #52
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Here is a reality check to those who think big grille is what BMW is trying to win China with: People here in Shanghai (the biggest M market throughout the nation) don't appreciate it. Neither does the rest of China, and Asia.

I'm a bit more familiar with different cultures than average and know that in Asia enthusiasts look at M the same way the European and North America do. Get the fact straight if you will please.

However, the 5er, 7er and X7er are welcoming place for the big grille (as long as they're not too big) which looks to me a consensus worldwide.
clee1982797.50
      04-22-2021, 11:44 PM   #53
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:17 AM   #54
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Yes. All of Asia loves Japanese cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:53 AM   #55
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:

Looking at how "everyone seems to love it in the flesh better than photos" comments in the US forums I think BMW got it right... the grill was for the US market in mind... and it worked.
Appreciate 3
Wes335XI107.00
clee1982797.50
golovko379.00
      04-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #56
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurston View Post
Wheels are great. Rest of it is incredibly ostentatious to me.
Wheels like that would be nice on a car that's a bit more subtle in styling, where one of the only things that is ostentatious are bronze/gold wheels (like the m2CS).

This entire car is the opposite of subtle.

And canards....really? What in the actual fuck. I can't wait for this stupid trend to die out.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #57
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

My goodness. My eyes. Why do I get the impression the current M Performance designers must wear huge chunky gold watches and low-hanging medallions...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #58
rgrovr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Front Lip +

Wheels +++

All else = DAFUQ??
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #59
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

What an abomination
This is getting worse and worse.
      04-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #60
F80DK
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp. Maledives Blue

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
Damn covid!
I miss auto shows!
Me too. Last IAA in Frankfurt was a disaster, though. Too to many manufacturers trying to be political correct! Geneva is another thing!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #61
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
The exhaust and rear wing are terrible. Why would you put that exhaust on a M car!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #62
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io View Post
Jesus, what an abomination. OK, that’s enough. From now, I stop considering these new M3 and M4 as BMWs, even if the S58 is a pure gem. These cars redefine the word ‘ugly’. They are alien, Lovecraftian, a cosmic horror from another planet...
Pretty strange take to hear someone on a performance car enthusiast board say that performance doesn't matter.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #63
JohnBucurE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i

As a 22 year old I can attest to the fact that everyone within my circle (-2 years and +2 years) love the grille design. It has become obvious to me that this is the direction for BMW. Appeal to a younger audience. I feel as if I'm the one within my group who's taken longer to come to terms with it, my first car being an e92 6 years ago. I will always see the e46-f80 generations as the holy grail of BMW design. But I have to admit that the grille has grown on me, although slower than my similarly aged counterparts. I love it. I don't believe BMW would design a car specifically for the "Asian market," instead take a more universal and uniform approach to just staying "younger." This is a better alternative than what happened to Buick and Cadillac in the past before the GM renaissance- growing older in design philosophy with their customer base. The future of sustainability is favor and accessibility by and for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #64
Masander
Private
Rep
Drives: Banglemobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBucurE92 View Post
As a 22 year old I can attest to the fact that everyone within my circle (-2 years and +2 years) love the grille design. It has become obvious to me that this is the direction for BMW. Appeal to a younger audience. I feel as if I'm the one within my group who's taken longer to come to terms with it, my first car being an e92 6 years ago. I will always see the e46-f80 generations as the holy grail of BMW design. But I have to admit that the grille has grown on me, although slower than my similarly aged counterparts. I love it. I don't believe BMW would design a car specifically for the "Asian market," instead take a more universal and uniform approach to just staying "younger." This is a better alternative than what happened to Buick and Cadillac in the past before the GM renaissance- growing older in design philosophy with their customer base. The future of sustainability is favor and accessibility by and for everyone.
I will always see the e30-e46 generations as the holy grail of BMW design.

Fixed.
      04-23-2021, 08:02 PM   #65
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBucurE92 View Post
I will always see the e30-e46 generations as the holy grail of BMW design.

Fixed.
The e46 M3 is the best looking BMW ever made, and it isn't close.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #66
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 (E93) Convertible

Bad ass machines.
Appreciate 0