BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #111
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
Surely they won't continue making both RWD and AWD when the AWD can be put into 2WD. Maybe the beginning of the end for the 6MT as well.

And where is a cloth interior option? Would love the m cloth from the e46 days. Guess the new G80s are to upriver for that.
No, they are going to continue making the 6MT for the duration of the model. They knew they were coming out with an AWD and they developed two very different cars (at great expense). You believe they did that to then discontinue one of them halfway through the party?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #112
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ZRH View Post
Amazing engineering. It will surely be great to drive.
But some questions:
. With this kind of weight and size, is it not growing into an M5 ? Just look at the dimensions and weight of the past M5s
Are you fine with such an evolution ?
. Why such a heavy car ? Of course M engineers can do wonders with the chassis, but is this not too much ? Legislators in various European countries are taxing according to power but also weight. And in Motorsports is the objective to have -more- weight when releasing a new race car ? Let alone an M road car ?
Are you happy with more weight ?
. Design: of course BMW wants to be bold. If this is targeted at another client segment, can they afford the big price increase versus the F80 ?
. Price and competition: if you compare it with a BMW Alpina B3 - the M3 is much more costly, no Touring available yet and even if slightly down on power, the B3 has much more torque. And the design is maybe more suited to a crowd who prefers to be more discreet. Would you go for a B3 (of course I available in your local market) ?
Thoughts welcome.
Most of this has/been answered.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #113
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
4100 is right at that amount that makes a lot of buyers pounder.
Im not a big badge guy by any means but was glad to see there wasn't an extra xdrive badge on the car. Curious to how others care about that? Would you feel like you would want some extra badge to show you have the awd model?
If there was an xDrive badge I would remove it. No indication of the car being xDrive does make me start thinking about snarky custom license plate phrases though.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
GOLFFRR10815.50
      04-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #114
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by killhour View Post
They should just add a badge that says "+$4100" since, let's be honest, that's the point of a badge. Hell, if they made adding the MSRP of the car as a badge an option, I bet a good half of buyers would check the box.
BMW is the wrong brand for anyone looking for humble owners.

Plus car badges just alert other car guys/girls to what they already know. The same way vintage Daytona’s only speak to people who care about watches.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3611.50
      04-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #115
killhour
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4C xDrive, Focus RS, DB9 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
BMW is the wrong brand for anyone looking for humble owners.

Plus car badges just alert other car guys/girls to what they already know. The same way vintage Daytona’s only speak to people who care about watches.
Not a value judgement - I was hoping for some sort of visual difference or additional standard equipment myself for that kind of price increase. To the "what they already know" point though, it is kind of strange that there is literally no way to tell the difference visually, even if you do "know" the car.
Appreciate 3
Swappy531.50
kamichael337.00
PVC154.50
      04-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #116
kamichael
BMW M on my mind
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3, 23 M2, 24 X5 50e

Garage List
All the badges can become too much and are unnecessary. I miss the days when BMW's M cars were understated and were sleepers. We don't need to plaster all the options on the rear!

They might as well just put a QR code on the trunk that can link to a list of all the options on a car! Haha.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
solstice5456.50
Ibiza3611.50
opielm88.00
      04-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #117
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
It's Mexico
I don't know what's going on with BMW and Yas Marina Blue, it's persona non grata to them. It's my favorite color ever and it depresses me.

I tried to get it as an individual and they offered me 5 other blues as alternatives. They said they no longer manufacture the paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #118
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.b View Post
That's awesome! Trying to explore similar - Did they give you a build slot / production number?
you know I haven't asked yet. technically they won't have a slot until the order guide is out. They do know their first ones arrive in August so that's what he's going off of currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Is that what Individual said?
that's what I was relayed after my CA bugged the area rep but he also said it's not officially a no until the order guide drops.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
50M105.00
      04-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #119
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
it is kind of strange that there is literally no way to tell the difference visually, even if you do "know" the car.
Indeed, these don't even seem to be riding with a tiny bit more front wheel gap, as opposed to the more mainstream xDrive models including M Performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #120
killhour
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I don't know what's going on with BMW and Yas Marina Blue, it's persona non grata to them. It's my favorite color ever and it depresses me.

I tried to get it as an individual and they offered me 5 other blues as alternatives. They said they no longer manufacture the paint.
The paint probably had some pigment they can no longer get. At least they did the entire interior in it, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #121
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Doesn't have the xdrive badge on the back as well so RWD owners will find out in a drag race
Appreciate 3
kamichael337.00
PVC154.50
Ibiza3611.50
      04-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #122
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
The paint probably had some pigment they can no longer get. At least they did the entire interior in it, right?
....and that interior looks fantastic too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post

Yas would look great on a G8X!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
If there was an xDrive badge I would remove it. No indication of the car being xDrive does make me start thinking about snarky custom license plate phrases though.
Same here!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #123
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
4100 is right at that amount that makes a lot of buyers pounder.
Im not a big badge guy by any means but was glad to see there wasn't an extra xdrive badge on the car. Curious to how others care about that? Would you feel like you would want some extra badge to show you have the awd model?
On the M3 I would not want A xdrive badge but do like Porsche just using the 4. Much cleaner

ALL badges are marketing tools.
So those saying it's just to show you spent more or whatever else you should also remove the M3/M4 and I know some of you do...

To be honest with what's going on in the US (not just now but over last 15-20 years), seems like prior to 2000s if you drove a nice car or had nice things (and weren't an ass about it) people aspired to have the same, I know I did when I was younger. Now people look at you with hate because you have something they can't afford (which is taught, media isn't helping). One great thing when I switched from M3 to X3M was LESS attention. I really want a Porsche Boxster or cayman GTS (wife wants boxster) but worry about the negative attention from it. Anyone with wealth who isn't a movie star or athlete is looked down upon in the US now by a good percentage of the population (for some reason people don't mind wealth when it's in the entertainment industry).
Appreciate 4
GOLFFRR10815.50
Sedan_Clan25106.00
khanyam4801.50
      04-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #124
winn3r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC

Definitely getting rid of my 2020 x4mc for the m3 comp xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #125
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

I for one am glad there's no xdrive badge.
Appreciate 3
kamichael337.00
WWM3968.00
      04-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #126
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Tesla boys still laughing from every stop light.
Until they realize they are out of juice and need to stop for 30 minutes at a rest stop
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
Ibiza3611.50
      04-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #127
killhour
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
On the M3 I would not want A xdrive badge but do like Porsche just using the 4. Much cleaner

ALL badges are marketing tools.
So those saying it's just to show you spent more or whatever else you should also remove the M3/M4 and I know some of you do...

To be honest with what's going on in the US (not just now but over last 15-20 years), seems like prior to 2000s if you drove a nice car or had nice things (and weren't an ass about it) people aspired to have the same, I know I did when I was younger. Now people look at you with hate because you have something they can't afford (which is taught, media isn't helping). One great thing when I switched from M3 to X3M was LESS attention. I really want a Porsche Boxster or cayman GTS (wife wants boxster) but worry about the negative attention from it. Anyone with wealth who isn't a movie star or athlete is looked down upon in the US now by a good percentage of the population (for some reason people don't mind wealth when it's in the entertainment industry).
I think you're taking this a little personally. Badges are absolutely status symbols - that's what they're for. People want an M on the back of their car because they want to show off wealth. It's the same reason BMW painted them neon yellow and put a massive grille on the front - it says "look at me, I'm rich." Lots of people want and like that. Lots of people think it's gauche. Personally, I want the loud, ridiculous car with a thousand badges because I'm going to lean into it. I think it's hilarious and I kind of want it to be even more over the top. Give me a bosozoku exhaust and a pink paint job.

There is one thing that does come off universally in poor taste though - and that's when you complain that people don't look up to you enough for having money. The 90s are over and nobody thinks having more money means you're smarter or harder working than them. Athletes are often an exception because they don't tend to come from family money and actually becoming an athlete is a one in a million lottery ticket. Even still, professional athletes get a ton of hate and are under a microscope at all times. Ditto for actors and music artists or whatever. It's cool to spend your money on things you personally enjoy and it's cool to lean into that. It's not cool to think you're owed admiration by people who are having a tough time putting food on the table.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #128
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
So like 4100 premium is over the base price right (I hope), so M3 base is 70, M3 comp auto is 73k, M3 comp auto AWD is 74k. Not that the AWD is 4k premium on the auto comp RWD - putting it at 78k starting
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #129
killhour
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
So like 4100 premium is over the base price right (I hope), so M3 base is 70, M3 comp auto is 73k, M3 comp auto AWD is 74k. Not that the AWD is 4k premium on the auto comp RWD - putting it at 78k starting
It's 4k on top of the Comp.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #130
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Surely the four Individual interiors are available regardless of the drive type. That’s probably just an oversight.
It damn well better be. How can they just start opening those up as standard on the non-M xDrives and then not include it for those?? I'm dead set on the Fiona Red, but was expecting a $3K premium, not $4100, for M xDrive so not keen on dropping yet another $2K for individual interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #131
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I was going to say... What about ENZIAN????

I'm calling it Enzian for now as it's the closest thing I've seen to the car I'm getting. But yea, all of those blues are in the same ballpark and who knows with the photo editing what it actually looks like in person.

EDIT: I see now it's Mexico. I'm still putting it on my computer as a background though and telling myself it's Enzian.

And I agree - kind of odd that they promote all of these individual colors without actually promoting them. You'd think they could advertise the program in all of these videos they've had and in things like this by saying "and here's the new AWD M4 in stunning X blue that can be had via the BMW Individual Program." Seems like a missed marketing opportunity. Maybe it is on that post where they say it's Mexico, but they make no mention of it in any of the videos they have done where they show all of those other colors.
Beautiful world map you have there did you make it yourself snareman ?
      04-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #132
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Pricing for the 2022 BMW M3 Competition xDrive starts at $76,900, while the M4 starts at $78,800.
Appreciate 1