BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

02-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #1
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

M Performance Suspension Install Cost at Port

Has anyone had the M Performance HAS kit installed at port prior to delivery? My SA just quoted $2820 for it. I’m debating doing it because it will be warrantied for the full factory warranty period.

Is that price reasonable? How does it compare to those that have had it installed by the dealer or an Indy after delivery?

Also, I’m not looking to slam the car at all, just want to lower front to match rear gap and benefit from some added tightness from the M performance suspension. I’m coming from a Porsche with PASM and the suspension/chassis was my favorite part of the car.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 07:12 PM   #2
L33t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
Has anyone had the M Performance HAS kit installed at port prior to delivery? My SA just quoted $2820 for it. I’m debating doing it because it will be warrantied for the full factory warranty period.

Is that price reasonable? How does it compare to those that have had it installed by the dealer or an Indy after delivery?

Also, I’m not looking to slam the car at all, just want to lower front to match rear gap and benefit from some added tightness from the M performance suspension. I’m coming from a Porsche with PASM and the suspension/chassis was my favorite part of the car.

Any thoughts?
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1963395

Please read through this post, you will find a lot of help. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 07:25 PM   #3
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1963395

Please read through this post, you will find a lot of help. Good luck
Thanks. From scanning through it seems not a good experience having it done at the dealership.. but maybe having it done at the Port is better.. not sure. I guess I could just wait and do it after delivery but loosing out on additional 2yrs of warranty would kind of suck.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 07:27 PM   #4
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: G80

How do you decide the height remotely?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 07:44 PM   #5
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer07 View Post
I was thinking about that as well! Not sure..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 07:57 PM   #6
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
I was thinking about that as well! Not sure..
When I was ordering I also wanted the HAS kit but my CA couldnt find any info on it at that time. I think $3k is a lot for that tho
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 08:03 PM   #7
L33t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 F80

Quote:
Thanks. From scanning through it seems not a good experience having it done at the dealership.. but maybe having it done at the Port is better.. not sure. I guess I could just wait and do it after delivery but loosing out on additional 2yrs of warranty would kind of suck.
I would suggest to get the MP kit and get it installed from a local reputable shop. I will do the same.

On my F80 I got the KW kit installed from a local shop paid $300 and never had any issues. Good luck
Appreciate 1
vmalho2702.00
      02-07-2023, 08:26 PM   #8
vmalho2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 Comp XDrive

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Hey, so Fugly M3 (sorry for the tag) got his installed at the port and that price is correct. I believe the code was Z58 Option Code which your CA has to look into if this is something you want done at the port. There will be some minor delays at the port if you go this route. I originally was going to do this, but I decided to just order the kit and get it installed at an indy shop near me for way less.

I also tried asking the dealer to get it installed, but their cost ($1800) wasn't adding up and not worth it IMO.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13469.00
      02-07-2023, 09:45 PM   #9
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalho2 View Post
Hey, so Fugly M3 (sorry for the tag) got his installed at the port and that price is correct. I believe the code was Z58 Option Code which your CA has to look into if this is something you want done at the port. There will be some minor delays at the port if you go this route. I originally was going to do this, but I decided to just order the kit and get it installed at an indy shop near me for way less.

I also tried asking the dealer to get it installed, but their cost ($1800) wasn't adding up and not worth it IMO.

It’s not that much work…it’s do you have the CA who is willing to do the work or research. And yes, it’s option code Z58 or 0Z58 it sometimes reads.

Last edited by Fugly M3; 11-26-2023 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 2
vmalho2702.00
Limegrntaln13469.00
      02-07-2023, 10:03 PM   #10
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer07 View Post
Pretty sure the port will just do it to BMW specs, which is a 10mm drop.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      02-08-2023, 02:28 AM   #11
BTC Maxi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

$3k seems a lot considering the part retails for $1700. Aren’t port installed parts no cost labor? Or does that only apply to cosmetic parts like lips, side skirts etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:04 AM   #12
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Much cheaper than ordering them with the car. But, there are some caveats to ordering them with the car. You can finance the price into the car, they should come on the window sticker. Maybe Fugly M3 can show us that.

It would be cool to see. You can also residualize the cost into a lease, if you're leasing, and just overall not having to mess with it, when the car gets here. I paid about $1,250 to get them to my door, from Germany.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
vmalho2702.00
      02-08-2023, 07:47 AM   #13
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Much cheaper than ordering them with the car. But, there are some caveats to ordering them with the car. You can finance the price into the car, they should come on the window sticker. Maybe Fugly M3 can show us that.

It would be cool to see. You can also residualize the cost into a lease, if you're leasing, and just overall not having to mess with it, when the car gets here. I paid about $1,250 to get them to my door, from Germany.
Yes, the price is $2820. I was the guinea pig for BMW on the port install. It started at approximately $2800 and then went to $2805 and then $2820. It adds a week to 10 days to the time at port, maybe less now that they have it down.

Is the price reasonable? That depends on you and your definition of reasonable. I thought it was a steal. Assume you can get the parts for $1,250 to your door like Limegrntaln. (He was the guinea pig for US install period, I believe. He ordered it well before it could be specced at port.) What will the install cost you? If you're having it done at the dealer, as is required for warranty coverage, expect there to be no difference in overall cost. If you have it installed at an indy shop, expect to save a few hundred dollars. If not doing it at the port, you also have to decide, can you really trust the dealer to install this vs. a good indy shop?

If you get it installed at an indy shop, and for whatever reason completely unrelated to the HAS kit, one of your electronic dampers craps out on you under warranty period. Sure, the law says BMW can't deny the warranty unless they prove the aftermarket part did it - remember they're now looked at like eBay springs because they weren't installed at the dealer. In practice, if they weren't installed by the dealer, they'll void first and have you fight it out. Likely, you'll realize the cost to fight it is more than the cost to fix it, stick your tail between your legs and pay.

If you want to save money, buy aftermarket and have in installed at an indy shop. You might save $500-750 given the labor time. To me, a warrantied, port-installed setup was well worth the money.

Last edited by Fugly M3; 02-08-2023 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 8
      02-08-2023, 07:59 AM   #14
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
Yes, the price is $2820. I was the guinea pig for BMW on the port install. It started at approximately $2800 and then went to $2805 and then $2820. It adds a week to 10 days to the time at port, maybe less now that they have it down.

Is the price reasonable? That depends on you and your definition of reasonable. I thought it was a steal. Assume you can get the parts for $1,250 to your door like Limegrntaln. What will the install cost you? If you're having it done at the dealer, as is required for warranty coverage, expect there to be no difference in overall cost. If you have it installed at an indy shop, expect to save a few hundred dollars. If not doing it at the port, you also have to decide, can you really trust the dealer to install this vs. a good indy shop?

If you get it installed at an indy shop, and for whatever reason completely unrelated to the HAS kit, one of your electronic dampers craps out on you under warranty period. Sure, the law says BMW can't deny the warranty unless they prove the aftermarket part did it - remember they're now looked at like eBay springs because they wasn't installed at the dealer. In practice, if it wasn't installed by the dealer, they'll void first and have you fight it out. Likely, you'll realize the cost to fight it is more than the cost to fix it, stick your tail between your legs and pay.

If you want to save money, buy aftermarket and have in installed at an indy shop. You might save $500-750 given the labor time. To me, a warrantied, port-installed setup was well worth the money.
The law is the law. Small claims is good for a $10k lawsuit and to file is $100.00.

If they deny a suspension warranty after I install the kit. I won’t even threaten the dealer.
I’ll just go on line and file. Then wait for the call and apology from the service director.
At which point I’ll ask when my car will be ready…
Appreciate 4
      02-08-2023, 08:23 AM   #15
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:

Is the price reasonable? That depends on you and your definition of reasonable. I thought it was a steal. Assume you can get the parts for $1,250 to your door like Limegrntaln. What will the install cost you? If you're having it done at the dealer, as is required for warranty coverage, expect there to be no difference in overall cost. If you have it installed at an indy shop, expect to save a few hundred dollars. If not doing it at the port, you also have to decide, can you really trust the dealer to install this vs. a good indy shop?

If you get it installed at an indy shop, and for whatever reason completely unrelated to the HAS kit, one of your electronic dampers craps out on you under warranty period. Sure, the law says BMW can't deny the warranty unless they prove the aftermarket part did it - remember they're now looked at like eBay springs because they wasn't installed at the dealer. In practice, if it wasn't installed by the dealer, they'll void first and have you fight it out. Likely, you'll realize the cost to fight it is more than the cost to fix it, stick your tail between your legs and pay.

Well said! Thanks for the POV.

How many miles do you have on your car now? Are you happy with the M Performance suspension. I feel like I’m looking for the asthetic benefits more than anything. I’ve never drive a G series BMW so not sure what it’s like stock vs with this upgraded suspension. I had an F80 and it was fine for me, didn’t need it any stiffer than stock.

One advantage to doing it after delivery is you can keep your stock springs and swap back if ever desired. I could also see how the look and feel is before changing anything. But agree the warranty benefits of port install are super compelling and cost difference minimal.

Biggest cost difference would be if I was good with the feel and just wanted simply to lower front by about an inch.. the eibach front springs and minimal cost to install would be the most economical route. And perhaps if a suspension component ever went bad.. I could swap out the springs to stock for minimal cost and bring it in for dealer warranty repair.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 08:26 AM   #16
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
The law is the law. Small claims is good for a $10k lawsuit and to file is $100.00.

If they deny a suspension warranty after I install the kit. I won’t even threaten the dealer.
I’ll just go on line and file. Then wait for the call and apology from the service director.
At which point I’ll ask when my car will be ready…
You’d be suing BMWNA not the dealer and if you think they don’t deal with this on a daily basis, well…
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 09:31 AM   #17
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well said! Thanks for the POV.

How many miles do you have on your car now? Are you happy with the M Performance suspension. I feel like I’m looking for the asthetic benefits more than anything. I’ve never drive a G series BMW so not sure what it’s like stock vs with this upgraded suspension. I had an F80 and it was fine for me, didn’t need it any stiffer than stock.

One advantage to doing it after delivery is you can keep your stock springs and swap back if ever desired. I could also see how the look and feel is before changing anything. But agree the warranty benefits of port install are super compelling and cost difference minimal.

Biggest cost difference would be if I was good with the feel and just wanted simply to lower front by about an inch.. the eibach front springs and minimal cost to install would be the most economical route. And perhaps if a suspension component ever went bad.. I could swap out the springs to stock for minimal cost and bring it in for dealer warranty repair.
I’m at about 2000 miles now and quite a bit of those being road trip, highway miles. Car looks much better than stock and is plenty comfortable. Definitely more compliant than the F8X ever could be.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 11:16 AM   #18
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
I’m at about 2000 miles now and quite a bit of those being road trip, highway miles. Car looks much better than stock and is plenty comfortable. Definitely more compliant than the F8X ever could be.
Thanks. Did you make any adjustment to height after delivery? If the front gap is high for a stock car and then coilovers lower the same amount front and rear, does that mean the front still has a larger gap? I’d want to get similar gap front and back which would require more lowering in front and less lowering in back.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 11:18 AM   #19
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
This thread is turning into a duplicate of my already lengthy thread on the same subject. But.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/au...vice-contracts
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 12:08 PM   #20
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
You’d be suing BMWNA not the dealer and if you think they don’t deal with this on a daily basis, well…
Well what?
They have to show up and explain why the law doesn't apply to them?
Because they sure can't prove my install is any different than their technicians install. And if the part is covered with their install why not my install?
I would frame that judgement and hang it in my office.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2023, 06:22 PM   #21
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

For those looking for pics...embedded here.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1976051
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2023, 08:39 AM   #22
Allerum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M3C X-Drive

I was told it wasn't an option.
Appreciate 0