BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

12-09-2023, 12:48 AM   #1
BenitoBlanco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition X-Drive

Wheel locks installed on new G80 at dealer versus at port?

I ordered a new M3 Comp X-Drive and am interested in getting wheel locks on it. I've never owned a vehicle with wheel locks before, but with such a nice vehicle and my city not being the best crime-wise I thought it might be a relatively low investment to save a relatively big potential expense if my wheels were to get stolen.

I understand that adding this after an order is submitted is possible because wheel locks are considered a "port-side" add, which I believe means that they add the wheel locks after the car arrives in the US and around when it undergoes damage inspection, etc.

I asked my sales rep this question and he recommended that I get the wheel locks from the dealership and he said *he* could install them for me. I found this a little odd, but perhaps he misspoke or was trying to refer to Service installing them.

He recommended this option because he said getting them installed at the US port after arrival would be $120-150 because they build in labor (this is off memory and could be inaccurate) while it would only cost me the price of the part alone (around $60-70 IIRC) if I have it done at the dealership.

Anyone have experience with this one way or the other? Am I just being paranoid? I am in the stage now where I am checking the status of the car every other day it seems (it just arrived at port in Germany yesterday!) and I realize maybe I am just being overly picky/cautious.
      12-09-2023, 04:10 AM   #2
Mxney23
Rep
Drives: M3 competition

IMO go with the dealership, you are still going to get the wheel locks on before u drive off with the car. I doubt your wheels will get stolen in transport from the port to the dealership. Plus save the money for gas😁
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 07:34 AM   #3
Tobster3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 6MT

Buy a set for $40-50 and install them yourself when you get home.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 07:48 AM   #4
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

What’s odd about dealer putting wheel locks on? They have to get car ready for delivery anyway. It’s like the most basic thing ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 10:44 PM   #5
BenitoBlanco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxney23 View Post
IMO go with the dealership, you are still going to get the wheel locks on before u drive off with the car. I doubt your wheels will get stolen in transport from the port to the dealership. Plus save the money for gas��
LOL, I should have clarified, I am not worried about the wheels being stolen being stolen between the port and the dealership, I guess I was more curious about if it seemed normal for a sales rep to offer to install them versus them getting done portside. It makes me wonder why portside install of something like that is even an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
What’s odd about dealer putting wheel locks on? They have to get car ready for delivery anyway. It’s like the most basic thing ever.
Thanks, that's exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for actually. I was not really sure if that seemed odd at all. See my above reply to the other guy - I am curious why portside install is even an option if the car has to be delivered to a dealership anyway (either for you to pick up or for them to make final touches before loading it on a truck to your house). Why would they even offer that?

BTW your IOMG looks so good, I ordered IOMG + Tartufo, can't wait!
      12-09-2023, 11:11 PM   #6
Mxney23
Rep

I guess I misunderstood your post. I’m curious to see also why the port option is there. Maybe just to make some extra money????
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 11:16 PM   #7
BenitoBlanco
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxney23 View Post
I guess I misunderstood your post. I’m curious to see also why the port option is there. Maybe just to make some extra money????
Typically a pretty solid guess, but I heard somewhere they're not supposed to charge labor for parts installed portside, so not totally sure how the dealership would have them that much cheaper and offer to install themselves if that's the case.

It's not a ton of money or anything but this will be the first car nearly this nice that I've owned so probably just being overly cautious/paranoid.
      12-09-2023, 11:19 PM   #8
Mxney23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenitoBlanco View Post
Typically a pretty solid guess, but I heard somewhere they're not supposed to charge labor for parts installed portside, so not totally sure how the dealership would have them that much cheaper and offer to install themselves if that's the case.

It's not a ton of money or anything but this will be the first car nearly this nice that I've owned so probably just being overly cautious/paranoid.
Gonna be my first car this nice also. I’m coming from a f30 340i to a g80. Off topic but what’s your spec???
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:50 AM   #9
odiesback
2021 330ix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330ix

Garage List
I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum: told my dealer NO wheel locks… biggest pain in the ass when you go for a ride change and can’t find the key…

Former: 2012 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Extended FR | DCT | Premium | Competition | BMW Apps | M Performance Exhaust | CF Front Splitters | V1 M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 11:33 AM   #10
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiesback View Post
I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum: told my dealer NO wheel locks… biggest pain in the ass when you go for a ride change and can’t find the key…
Always keep one in the trunk, then you have no issues.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2023, 04:18 PM   #11
JPF711
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp xdrive

Garage List
Don’t over torque the locking lug, it’s weaker then the others and can break off and then your screwed (so I’ve been warned).
Appreciate 1