BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-10-2022, 03:09 PM   #155
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Agreed. Until you've done it, you just don't know.

I remember when I bought my first 991.2 S. I could not believe I was spending the money I was for a car. But man oh man. The second I drove it home, I felt I got my monies worth and THEN SOME.

My 992 experiences were a let down. But my last one was still the nicest best car I've ever owned. Now that my infamous clicking sound has been ruled completely normal. I admit. I do miss my last 992 S. But man that clicking drove me nuts.
I will say i was somewhat disappointed in the Boxster GTS 4.0 i had compared to my M2 CS, which i've gone into on other threads. The M2 CS was the much more exciting car to drive, and a car that I always think about when not driving it. I can't imagine i'd find a standard 992 C2 or C2S much more exciting, or i'd just go buy one. I think i'd have to get up to a GT car (either GT4 or GT3) to find a car i'd prefer. My ideal Porsche would be a 991.2 Speedster, but cost and insurance is a tad prohibitive (upwards of $400k+).

Whereas, this CSL sounds like, in the right spec, it could be a very exciting car to drive. There is no way you can get even a C2S under 140k, so its kind of a good value in some ways. But time will tell, i'll need to drive it myself.
Appreciate 2
      10-10-2022, 07:29 PM   #156
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:

I remember when I bought my first 991.2 S. I could not believe I was spending the money I was for a car. But man oh man. The second I drove it home, I felt I got my monies worth and THEN SOME.

My 992 experiences were a let down. But my last one was still the nicest best car I've ever owned. Now that my infamous clicking sound has been ruled completely normal. I admit. I do miss my last 992 S. But man that clicking drove me nuts.
I will say i was somewhat disappointed in the Boxster GTS 4.0 i had compared to my M2 CS, which i've gone into on other threads. The M2 CS was the much more exciting car to drive, and a car that I always think about when not driving it. I can't imagine i'd find a standard 992 C2 or C2S much more exciting, or i'd just go buy one. I think i'd have to get up to a GT car (either GT4 or GT3) to find a car i'd prefer. My ideal Porsche would be a 991.2 Speedster, but cost and insurance is a tad prohibitive (upwards of $400k+).

Whereas, this CSL sounds like, in the right spec, it could be a very exciting car to drive. There is no way you can get even a C2S under 140k, so its kind of a good value in some ways. But time will tell, i'll need to drive it myself.
The 992 is great, but it is a very refined Porsche product. It feels very different than the GTS 4.0 and the aural signatures are a world apart. I think the CSL is a great buy, especially given how special it is in the BMW ///M line-up.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #157
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The 992 is great, but it is a very refined Porsche product. It feels very different than the GTS 4.0 and the aural signatures are a world apart. I think the CSL is a great buy, especially given how special it is in the BMW ///M line-up.
If I don't find a Boxster GTS 4.0 in 6 spd exciting, will I find a C2 or C2S exciting?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #158
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If I don't find a Boxster GTS 4.0 in 6 spd exciting, will I find a C2 or C2S exciting?
Let me put it this way, I drove mzcp's Cayman GTS 4.0 for an hour the morning I picked up my 992 back in early April 2022. It was a mix of street driving, freeway driving and some high rev action. I'm not partial to engine methodology (…e.g…naturally aspirated, force induced, etc.); I like them all equally. That said, I much prefer the 992 to the 4.0 GTS across the spectrum of driving experiences. It's no Porsche GT product, so it won't match that level of excitement, but it is an extremely capable car. I think in many ways you'll need to drive most of the available performance cars like you stole them to experience the "excitement" I think you're after, a GT3, GT4 or CSL included. It sounds to me like you want to be supremely engaged even while traveling at legal speeds. That's going to be a tall order bro.
Appreciate 2
ScullyD5165.50
2011ninja3399.00
      10-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #159
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me put it this way, I drove mzcp's Cayman GTS 4.0 for an hour the morning I picked up my 992 back in early April 2022. It was a mix of street driving, freeway driving and some high rev action. I'm not partial to engine methodology (…e.g…naturally aspirated, force induced, etc.); I like them all equally. That said, I much prefer the 992 to the 4.0 GTS across the spectrum of driving experiences. It's no Porsche GT product, so it won't match that level of excitement, but it is an extremely capable car. I think in many ways you'll need to drive most of the available performance cars like you stole them to experience the "excitement" I think you're after, a GT3, GT4 or CSL included. It sounds to me like you want to be supremely engaged even while traveling at legal speeds. That's going to be a tall order bro.
I love my M2 CS, but I'm thinking as far as current Pcar products, I'd need GT4/Spyder in PDK, GT4 RS or GT3 6 speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 07:47 PM   #160
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I love my M2 CS, but I'm thinking as far as current Pcar products, I'd need GT4/Spyder in PDK, GT4 RS or GT3 6 speed.
The GT4 Spyder would probably be the easiest to procure.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #161
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Quote:

Worm, I expect to see you back in a Porsche real soon. I'm keeping an eye out on Rennlist.....
Oh I'll be back someday I'm sure. For now I'm over at Jeep. I bought a loaded Wrangler Rubicon with MT tires. Im enjoying running shit over for a change. Gotta get ready to run for the hills once those who got the jab turn into zombies!
      10-11-2022, 10:56 AM   #162
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purekoryo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
For everybody claiming they'd take the Porsche, why are you not driving 991 GT3's, 992 Carrera S' or GTS', etc.? Those are all attainable. It's always interesting how many people are quick to bring up the P-Car but are largely unwilling to actually buy the P-Car.
I did! I tried 991.2 S, 991.2 GTS, and two 992 S's. Best drivers car period.

I find this comparison apples to oranges. Porsche 911 trumps every BMW every day of the week period.

Except for family practicality and perhaps infotainment.
Which one was the most engaging?
For me, the 991.2 S was probably the funnest to drive. It wasn't the fastest, but it's power to weight (mine was narrow body) ratio was just much more fun.

Then the 991.2 GTS. It was a wide body but most of the added power was in the mid to high speed gains.

My 992's were the fastest. But they felt heavier and not nearly as raw.

If I were buying used 911 today. I'd probably go for a higher end 991.2 model.
      10-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #163
shaft69
Rep
Drives: Bmw f22

Dont have to ask me which car pref 911 best car in the world. Full stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 07:45 PM   #164
picaso
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 911

I got rid of all my bmws and moved to Porsche. A track and daily. Was tempted to trade the daily for the new 7series or XM, but couldn't get myself to do it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      10-19-2022, 09:18 PM   #165
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picaso View Post
I got rid of all my bmws and moved to Porsche. A track and daily. Was tempted to trade the daily for the new 7series or XM, but couldn't get myself to do it.
Sexy ass GT3!
Appreciate 2
picaso145.00
      10-20-2022, 12:49 AM   #166
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Sexy ass GT3!
Quote:
There's one missing in between those two, perfect colour too
Attached Images

Sedan_Clan25118.50
picaso145.00
      10-20-2022, 02:20 AM   #167
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Very nice. I've had nearly every 911 variant (993 and newer) and every m3 variant (e46 and newer) and there really is no comparison on track. Don't get me wrong, my g80 is a great car but it's no gt3...
Appreciate 3
picaso145.00
      10-20-2022, 11:09 AM   #168
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
The GT4 Spyder would probably be the easiest to procure.
Having had the Boxster 25 Years (Which has the GT4 short shifter in it + the GTS 4.0 version of that engine), i'm reluctant to pay for a Spyder thinking it won't be that big of an upgrade on street. And i'm not going to track a convertible.

Thats why i bought the 25 years in the first. Great car btw, but i just never found it very exciting to drive. Was great to take the wife out for an afternoon in.

Even thought they continually developed the 718 platform, it just doesn't seem to be able to hold a candle to a 911.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25118.50
picaso145.00
      10-20-2022, 11:55 AM   #169
Bill76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Having had the Boxster 25 Years (Which has the GT4 short shifter in it + the GTS 4.0 version of that engine), i'm reluctant to pay for a Spyder thinking it won't be that big of an upgrade on street. And i'm not going to track a convertible.

Thats why i bought the 25 years in the first. Great car btw, but i just never found it very exciting to drive. Was great to take the wife out for an afternoon in.

Even thought they continually developed the 718 platform, it just doesn't seem to be able to hold a candle to a 911.
I have a 992 GT3 and a 718 Spyder. The suspension/feeling between a 718 gt4/spyder and a 718 GTS/25th anniversary has a huge difference for me, GT car department makes them more sharp and stiff, but it is not for everybody; some people will not like it.
The 992 GT3 has better steering (this is the big difference vs the 991.2 GT3 that I had before), but the 718 GT4/Spyder is the best bang for the buck in the Porsche line.
What happens with the 4.0l that comes in the 718 GTS/GT4/Spyder: The factory exhaust is a disaster (it only lasted 400 miles on mine), the rear muffler has a really bad tone, you have to change it, and if you take out the OPF filters here is where the sound comes back to a real NA flat six, and the mid-range/high rpm power band gets a huge improvement.
for me the 718 Spyder design is one of the most beautiful Porsches of every time
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill76; 10-20-2022 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25118.50
picaso145.00
      10-20-2022, 12:08 PM   #170
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill76 View Post
Quote:

I have a 992 GT3 and a 718 Spyder. The suspension/feeling between a 718 gt4/spyder and a 718 GTS/25th anniversary has a huge difference for me, GT car department makes them more sharp and stiff, but it is not for everybody; some people will not like it.
The 992 GT3 has better steering (this is the big difference vs the 991.2 GT3 that I had before), but the 718 GT4/Spyder is the best bang for the buck in the Porsche line.
What happens with the 4.0l that comes in the 718 GTS/GT4/Spyder: The factory exhaust is a disaster (it only lasted 400 miles on mine), the rear muffler has a really bad tone, you have to change it, and if you take out the OPF filters here is where the sound comes back to a real NA flat six, and the mid-range/high rpm power band gets a huge improvement.
for me the 718 Spyder design is one of the most beautiful Porsches of every time
The 25 Years had a great tone on the exhaust, was a factory Remus exhaust and it sounded much better than a friend of mine's Spyder. I think it was a different exhaust entirely. An aftermarket exhaust will sound better than both.

The ride quality was amazingly good but the steering was very vague. I assume that's fixed on Spyder with the 991.2 GT3 front suspension.

I liked the way the traditional Boxster looks with a usable, retractable soft top, just wish you could get a better suspension with that. I often used to raise and lower the roof in traffic under 30 miles an hour, so I didn't want to give that up.

Gearing was a major issue when street driving and I'm not surprised the engine is bored and stroked from the 3.0L. It has a pretty good mid range, but doesn't feel like it loves to rev out to 8k. I imagine it feels more free revving after thousands of miles of break in and is a better car in PDK.

From my personal position, it was a really great convertible. But I think it's a very overrated sports car experience.
Appreciate 3
Bill76112.50
picaso145.00
      10-20-2022, 12:23 PM   #171
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill76 View Post
Quote:

Gahhhh! I want a GT3 so bad.
Appreciate 3
ScullyD5165.50
picaso145.00
      10-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #172
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
I too made the move to a gt3, no comparison.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 1
picaso145.00
      10-23-2022, 12:25 AM   #173
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

M4 CSL vs 911 GT3 - drag race

won't give any spoilers i guess