BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-02-2022, 09:42 AM   #67
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
The people who bought the Porsche are over on Rennlist, not here.
I must be the unicorn having both.....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #68
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Right…
Now let’s add the points for proper rear seats and a proper trunk please…
The M4 CSL has no rear seats...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #69
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBM View Post
I'll buck that trend. I'm on both sites because I have loved both brands and owned both brands for decades. BMW has let me down lately, however. I wanted the new G80 (and now the G87) to be dailies, but I feel BMW has lost their way. Ugly designs, massive weight gain.

I still hold out hope for a good looking, good driving, small sports sedan from Bavaria.
Same here.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #70
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

It's always the same thing on this site. Lol. If whatever M car loses a drag race all the fanboys " it's not made for that. It will do this and that on the track"
Now we are drag racing the CSL? I always thought the car was decent at both? To me, there is not a single day or reason I would pick the CSL over the GT3. 1 is the prom queen/ cheerleader/slut the other is Karen.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #71
DB_Cooper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
For everybody claiming they'd take the Porsche, why are you not driving 991 GT3's, 992 Carrera S' or GTS', etc.? Those are all attainable. It's always interesting how many people are quick to bring up the P-Car but are largely unwilling to actually buy the P-Car.
Many reasons why.

Long wait lists for P cars especially the GT3. When I say long I mean years out.

Used GT3s have too high of an ADM.

If you're dropping $150k for GTS might as well get GT3 at $180k.
6 speed MT + 4.0 liter NA in GT3 better than the Turbo + 7 speed MT in GTS/S.

If a GT3 allocation came along I'd def buy it, not bc of 0-60 times or lap times but bc it's a NA MT.

GT3 is more of an occasion than the M4 but I'm also the buyer that will buy an LCI Manual M3 in a couple of years and never buy an automatic/DCT sports car.

Not sure how many buyers are cross shopping these two cars but IMO the buyer of the m4 CSL is most likely just really into BMWs (nothing wrong with that obv).
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #72
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_Cooper View Post
Quote:
For everybody claiming they'd take the Porsche, why are you not driving 991 GT3's, 992 Carrera S' or GTS', etc.? Those are all attainable. It's always interesting how many people are quick to bring up the P-Car but are largely unwilling to actually buy the P-Car.
Many reasons why.

Long wait lists for P cars especially the GT3. When I say long I mean years out.

If a GT3 allocation came along I'd def buy it, not bc of 0-60 times or lap times but bc it's a NA MT.

GT3 is more of an occasion than the M4 but I'm also the buyer that will buy an LCI Manual M3 in a couple of years and never buy an automatic/DCT sports car.

Not sure how many buyers are cross shopping these two cars but IMO the buyer of the m4 CSL is most likely just really into BMWs (nothing wrong with that obv).
The "long wait list" thing is a cop-out IMHO. That's a more recent phenomenon. The "You should just go buy the Porsche" comments go as far back as 2000 when I came to the brand.

If you can buy a CSL, you can likely afford to buy a used 991 GT3 or a new non-GT/non-TT/S 992 despite the inflated used car prices and/or new car ADM's. So what's the hold up?!?? All of these people should have Porsches by now.

P.S. No new 992 GT3 is "$180k"…..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #73
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

If you buy a car based on looks... that GT3 is gorgeous!
      10-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #74
DaWhole9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i, 1976 BMW 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWhole9 View Post
This thread is funny. The GT3 would eat ANY BMW production car for lunch on a track. Period. Ring times…M4 CSL is the fastest around the ring at 7:15. Fastest production BMW ever. The new GT3 does it in….6:55. Lol. 20 seconds faster. Thats with less HP and less torque. Better brakes, better handling. And no Xdrive wont help it. And both BMW and GT3 were in the same tires so its an even comparison. If you have never driven a Porsche then you dont know how special they are. I owned a Boxster and a 911 C4. Both phenomenal cars. The engine revs effortlessly to the limiter. Never driven a car that revved so freely. I bounced off the rev limiter frequently because I was waiting to feel the engine to know when to shift but it just revved right to the limiter. Also the steering and handling were telepathic. They are nowhere near as practical and there are absolute gems in the BMW lineup that are amazing overall cars. Just dont put down ana amazing GT3 because its made by Porsche.
Team Schirmer, six fifty eight.
I said production because once you get into Tuners, like Manthey which did the ring 5 seconds faster than the standard GT3. And Porsche still has the GT3RS which is faster still.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #75
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

We just watched the highly anticipated M4 CSL get spanked lol. If any car ever launches like that at the drag strip, you'll be wondering and asking your buddy the question, "what's wrong?" I would've just turned launch control off and gave that a shot.

Does the CSL only come in an automatic?
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:10 PM   #76
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
We just watched the highly anticipated M4 CSL get spanked lol.

Quite the comment without any context. Porsche 911's always launch well. After all, the weight is squarely over the rear tires.

….and yes, it's only an automatic.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
      10-02-2022, 12:30 PM   #77
DB_Cooper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Many reasons why.

The "long wait list" thing is a cop-out IMHO. That's a more recent phenomenon. The "You should just go buy the Porsche" comments go as far back as 2000 when I came to the brand.

If you can buy a CSL, you can likely afford to buy a used 991 GT3 or a new non-GT/non-TT/S 992 despite the inflated used car prices and/or new car ADM's. So what's the hold up?!?? All of these people should have Porsches by now.

Lol. How's the wait for allocation a cop out? Get me an allocation, I'll put down a deposit.

I can't speak to what people were saying in 2000, I'm replying to your comment about the '22/'23 GT3 vs GTS/S vs M4 CSL

I agree if you're shopping CSL you can afford a GT3. But why would the choice be used GT3 vs new M4 CSL??

I attached my GT3 build. It's <$180k
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:33 PM   #78
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Many reasons why.

Lol. How's the wait for allocation a cop out? Get me an allocation, I'll put down a deposit.

I can't speak to what people were saying in 2000, I'm replying to your comment about the '22/'23 GT3 vs GTS/S vs M4 CSL

I agree if you're shopping CSL you can afford a GT3. But why would the choice be used GT3 vs new M4 CSL??

My comment was generalized, not directed at you. There are allocations out there……but not at MSRP (…except under some uber-compelling circumstance). In fact, I can point you to at least three dealerships in California who will sell you a GT3 off the showroom floor right now if you will put your money where your mouth is.

P.S. Come on guy. I'm not referring to the MSRP price of a 992 GT3. I'm talking about the REAL WORLD price of a 992 GT3 (…average price is $275k). You're being purposely obtuse.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      10-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #79
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

Quote:
We just watched the highly anticipated M4 CSL get spanked lol. If any car ever launches like that at the drag strip, you'll be wondering and asking your buddy the question, "what's wrong?" I would've just turned launch control off and gave that a shot.

This appears to be a typical kind of response on this site, which is weird. I thought that this was a site for like-minded car enthusiasts who love the BMW brand? Instead it appears to be some Porsche-loving site for people who love to p!ss on the chips of BMW fans.

I've had owned both brands and of course, I love Porsches - they are great cars. Of course if I could get a new GT3 over a CSL I would, but that's not an option for me. Is the CSL a car that I would deem worthy of my hard-earned cash? At the moment, it appears that it would definitely meet the brief of what I'm looking for in a car.

No, the CSL is not a Porsche GT3 but I don't expect it to be. I want something that I can enjoy regularly, that will be a pleasure to own and be a lot of fun on track - that brief, I think the BMW will hit in spades.

And if I see a GT3 on track? Remember, it's the driver not the car!
Sedan_Clan25120.00
AlexFL7837.00
      10-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #80
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
My comment was generalized, not directed at you. There are allocations out there……but not at MSRP (…except under some uber-compelling circumstance).

P.S. Come on guy. I'm not referring to the MSRP price of a 992 GT3. I'm talking about the REAL WORLD price of a new GT3. You're being purposely obtuse.
The few people I know who have been lucky enough to get a 992 GT3 had to pay close to 300k.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25120.00
      10-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #81
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
My comment was generalized, not directed at you. There are allocations out there……but not at MSRP (…except under some uber-compelling circumstance).

P.S. Come on guy. I'm not referring to the MSRP price of a 992 GT3. I'm talking about the REAL WORLD price of a new GT3. You're being purposely obtuse.
The few people I know who have been lucky enough to get a 992 GT3 had to pay close to 300k.
Yep! I know people who have also paid as much as $350k when the 992 GT3 first became available. My hook-up offered me one at $265k. I'm still trying to digest it and see if I can make it work (…assuming I can still get $170k for my C2S with 2k miles on the odometer).
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      10-02-2022, 12:49 PM   #82
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
Quote:

This appears to be a typical kind of response on this site, which is weird. I thought that this was a site for like-minded car enthusiasts who love the BMW brand? Instead it appears to be some Porsche-loving site for people who love to p!ss on the chips of BMW fans.

I've had owned both brands and of course, I love Porsches - they are great cars. Of course if I could get a new GT3 over a CSL I would, but that's not an option for me. Is the CSL a car that I would deem worthy of my hard-earned cash? At the moment, it appears that it would definitely meet the brief of what I'm looking for in a car.

No, the CSL is not a Porsche GT3 but I don't expect it to be. I want something that I can enjoy regularly, that will be a pleasure to own and be a lot of fun on track - that brief, I think the BMW will hit in spades.

And if I see a GT3 on track? Remember, it's the driver not the car!
It's more of the latter than it is the former. You have a segment of people here who'll find any reason to be negative about a BMW product, and they'll tout anything as better…….be it a Hyundai or a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:55 PM   #83
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

Quote:
It's more of the latter than it is the former. You have a segment of people here who'll find any reason to be negative about a BMW product, and they'll tout anything as better…….be it a Hyundai or a Porsche.
That's depressing! I welcome people having different views but if I hated a car, I'd keep quiet about it with people who have bought one rather than say it's rubbish.
Sedan_Clan25120.00
AlexFL7837.00
      10-02-2022, 12:57 PM   #84
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
Quote:
That's depressing! I welcome people having different views but if I hated a car, I'd keep quiet about it with people who have bought one rather than say it's rubbish.
I would go a step further and add that if I hated a car, I wouldn't post in the forum(s). It's wasted energy from low frequency people.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7837.00
bri10425943.00
JDUNITNOW3535.50
      10-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #85
DB_Cooper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Many reasons why.

P.S. Come on guy. I'm not referring to the MSRP price of a 992 GT3. I'm talking about the REAL WORLD price of a 992 GT3 (…average price is $275k). You're being purposely obtuse.
I'm not your Guy, Pal. Lol.

Not being obtuse, just responding to your post.

If you have money to burn sure you can buy a GT3. You can buy an M4 & a CSL if you want. Are we assuming no ADMs for M4 CSLs?

What's the point you're making? Everyone talks about P cars but never buys one ? We are on a BMW forum, members are going to offer their opinion on every car whether they can afford it or not. People can be driving a Yaris and still have an opinion re M4 or GT3.
Appreciate 2
Wes335XI107.00
TargaM22491.00
      10-02-2022, 01:01 PM   #86
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Many reasons why.

I'm not your Guy, Pal. Lol.

Not being obtuse, just responding to your post.

If you have money to burn sure you can buy a GT3. You can buy an M4 & a CSL if you want. Are we assuming no ADMs for M4 CSLs?

What's the point you're making? Everyone talks about P cars but never buys one ? We are on a BMW forum, members are going to offer their opinion on every car whether they can afford it or not. People can be driving a Yaris and still have an opinion re M4 or GT3.
You are absolutely being obtuse posting up MSRP numbers on a 992 GT3. ….when we all know they do not sell for that price.

ADM's on CSL's do not push them into GT3 territory. Not even close! We even have some people on this forum who purchased CSL's at MSRP or with fairly minimal ADM's.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #87
leylandi
Rep
Drives: mercedes

It's funny to compare this masterpiece with CSL

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 01:28 PM   #88
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Quote:
Quite the comment without any context. Porsche 911's always launch well. After all, the weight is squarely over the rear tires.

….and yes, it's only an automatic.
I just found that quite comical. Anyone that's been to a drag strip and have actually dragged race would. You left out the rest of my response, that was the context. The point was that he couldn't launch the car. It very well could have just been the driver.

I didn't follow the M4 CSL much, but I am surprised it's only in an automatic. I thought it would've been in a manual.

A couple of other folks made it sound like I'm hating on BMW, yet I own 3 of them and tracked one of them? Kind of confused on that one. I love BMW. But I also love Subaru and have nothing against Porsche.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 1