BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-02-2020, 11:45 PM   #617
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Well in terms of performance there's a night and day difference between the E9X and the F8X. I suspect that'll continue with the introduction of the G8X. As for the subtleties, that's an individual thing. I miss absolutely nothing about the three E9X M3's I owned. The F8X was better in every measurable and immeasurable way....for me. I do occasionally miss one of my E46 M3's: my '05 IB ZCP with Speed Cloth, TEIN coil overs and OEM CSL CF center console and door panels.......but it's merely emotional. I wouldn't give up my current F82 to have that car back in my possession again.
Does your F8X have better steering than the E9X?
In my personal opinion, I prefer the F8X's steering. I honestly don't understand the hype over the older car's steering.

I remember a distinct moment when I asked myself, "What is the hype all about?" I had a '14 AW F30 6MT for awhile. Prior to that I owned a '11.5 AW ZCP 6MT M3. My ex-gf still had the '11 AW 6MT 135i M-Sport we purchased for her when we were together. She asked me to take care of her car while she went back to Wisconsin to visit her mother. At the time, the steering feel threads were running rampant on the forums. I jumped into her 135i and found the steering cumbersome and far too heavy/poorly weighted for my tastes, especially during low speed maneuvers. I do realize that I had adjusted to the F30, but steering feel was never a point of praise as it pertained to my E9X nor her 135i.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      11-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #618
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Well in terms of performance there's a night and day difference between the E9X and the F8X. I suspect that'll continue with the introduction of the G8X. As for the subtleties, that's an individual thing. I miss absolutely nothing about the three E9X M3's I owned. The F8X was better in every measurable and immeasurable way....for me. I do occasionally miss one of my E46 M3's: my '05 IB ZCP with Speed Cloth, TEIN coil overs and OEM CSL CF center console and door panels.......but it's merely emotional. I wouldn't give up my current F82 to have that car back in my possession again.
Every way man? Come on. You can say with a straight face that the F80 was better sounding to you than an e92?
Appreciate 4
      11-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #619
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my personal opinion, I prefer the F8X's steering. I honestly don't understand the hype over the older car's steering.

I remember a distinct moment when I asked myself, "What is the hype all about?" I had a '14 AW F30 6MT for awhile. Prior to that I owned a '11.5 AW ZCP 6MT M3. My ex-gf still had the '11 AW 6MT 135i M-Sport we purchased for her when we were together. She asked me to take care of her car while she went back to Wisconsin to visit her mother. At the time, the steering feel threads were running rampant on the forums. I jumped into her 135i and found the steering cumbersome and far too heavy/poorly weighted for my tastes, especially during low speed maneuvers. I do realize that I had adjusted to the F30, but steering feel was never a point of praise as it pertained to my E9X nor her 135i.
The F8x is just numb steering. I heard the CS is better (heard that about the zcp too before I owned one) but I doubt it. For whatever reason that is how BMW tunes their EPS.

“Heavy and poorly weighted” so you mean “natural”?
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      11-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #620
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:

Are you comparing F3X's steering with your 11.5 M3's steering and found F3X's steering better? And 135i's?
stein_325i25083.00
jmack548.50
      11-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #621
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
Every way man? Come on. You can say with a straight face that the F80 was better sounding to you than an e92?
Sound is not a component that heavily impacts my experience. I haven't had any issues with the sound(s) of any BMW I've owned (...14 so far). The E9X sounded good, but the F8X doesn't sound bad to me. In fact, it sounds similar to the E46, which I also liked when everybody on the forums expressed vitriol. The E9X is the most forgettable M3 in my opinion. I've owned three of them and I just couldn't emotionally attach to them in the same way I did with my E46 M3's and F8X M4's.

Quote:
Quote:

The F8x is just numb steering. I heard the CS is better (heard that about the zcp too before I owned one) but I doubt it. For whatever reason that is how BMW tunes their EPS.

"Heavy and poorly weighted" so you mean "natural"?
One could argue that, but it doesn't necessarily make driving more enjoyable. If that's the argument, we might as well go completely natural with unassisted racks. That would make driving absolutely entertaining, right?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Quote:

Are you comparing F3X's steering with your 11.5 M3's steering and found F3X's steering better? And 135i's?
I think I was pretty clear, no?!?! In a back-to-back comparison I preferred the steering in F3X over the 135i, especially as it pertained to low speed maneuvers. My point in mentioning my M3 is because I found no issues with the F3X's steering despite having come from the M3. I hope that clarified the gist of what I was attempting to convey.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #622
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sound is not a component that heavily impacts my experience. I haven't had any issues with the sound(s) of any BMW I've owned (...14 so far). The E9X sounded good, but the F8X doesn't sound bad to me. In fact, it sounds similar to the E46, which I also liked when everybody on the forums expressed vitriol. The E9X is the most forgettable M3 in my opinion. I've owned three of them and I just couldn't emotionally attach to them in the same way I did with my E46 M3's and F8X M4's.

One could argue that, but it doesn't necessarily make driving more enjoyable.

I think I was pretty clear, no?!?! In a back-to-back comparison I preferred the steering in F3X over the 135i, especially as it pertained to low speed maneuvers. My point in mentioning my M3 is because I found no issues with the F3X's steering despite having come from the M3. I hope that clarified the gist of what I was attempting to convey.
I agree not everyone cares about natural steering feel its very evident on here. Sound and natural feel are a lot of the experience to me. Obviously very subjective.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #623
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

One could argue that, but it doesn't necessarily make driving more enjoyable.

I agree not everyone cares about natural steering feel its very evident on here. Sound and natural feel are a lot of the experience to me. Obviously very subjective.
If natural is the goal, then you'd prefer a completely unassisted rack then?!?!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #624
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used to drive an F200 custom without power steering back in my early years. Great for jacked forearms.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
JCZ51482.50
      11-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #625
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I used to drive an F200 custom without power steering back in my early years. Great for jacked forearms.
Haha! I mean, yeah, I get that. I'm in my 40's, so I remember completely unassisted racks too. I'll pass on that natural feel. Lol! With that said, I don't want an over-boosted rack either.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #626
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donolotti View Post
Coming from an F82 M4 I still don't like the grills and the hood looks like a dodge charger hood. Maybe mods one day will help but I feel like they missed the mark on this. I like progression of design based on function but to keep the design staples like the power dome hood, quad exhaust, wide fenders, rear window kink and the side profile of the car having one shoulder line. Not to mention the car is 400 lbs heavier than the last M3/M4. And last you can't get a comp with a manual... My M4 was comp and manual. BMW talks about giving options and they do but they are forgetting the true enthusiasts. I have been into BMW since my dad had a m coupe with the s54 and manual. Also I am 27 years old and if it was meant to target me they did a poor job. Would rather seen a modern take on traditional design features.
Absolutely, why is there a Dodge Charger hood on the new M3 and M4? It makes NO sense, nor does it look right! The Power Dome hood is so cool looking especially with the functional air outlet. Function over form, if it's not functional it has no need to be there, meaning the fake side vents!

I feel the new M3 an M4 are going to be beasts, and I advocated and requested M xDrive. But why are these cars increasingly getting bigger and bigger to the 5 Series size, bigger is not always better. And the additional 400 pounds - is that correct, that cannot be all of the xDrives weight distribution.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:57 AM   #627
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

As a fellow Designer it's hard to listen to design advice from a guy who has useless fake zippers on his shoulders and goofy glasses on, but anything to fix this hideous front bumper issue. I had to call-out the fake shoulder zippers because they remind me of the M3 & M4 fake side air vents 😤 totally useless.

You have to think of everything when designing! Functionality and Style!!! Or should I say functionality with style, Or style with functionality?

He didn't think of U.S. license plates are global license plates. Some States you have to have them on, some States you can take them off. Or if you like me, you do whatever the hell you want.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 01:55 AM   #628
Fishbuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Serious question... what year would the LCI M3 potentially occur?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #629
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfinder333 View Post
LCI is after 3.5 years, new model after 7 years.

But of course there are exceptions (e.g. F15 was 5 years until a new model and skipping an LCI).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #630
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

I have to admit I used to like Adrian van Hooydonk's design concepts when he worked under Chris Bangle, but now as BMW Group's Design Director I think he is failing unfortunately.

Something has happened within the Design Team or it is the suits ok'ing and choosing lame designs. They're going in too many different directions, not consistent. It's time for BMW start looking for a new Design Director.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:05 AM   #631
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
May be what the M4 should looks like...now the whole legacy of BMW M GmbH rests on the upcoming G87 M2
this works reminds me of the CSL, this captures the soul in a modern shell

why? why can't you make this instead of that hideous thing ?
      11-12-2020, 02:49 AM   #632
Bimmr7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/G80 M3 Comp on Ord

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
2010 BMW 335 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
so bmw decided to do a modern-retro throwback with the grill for 2021-2026 bread and butter 3 and 4 series? Bc heritage and old school is what the people want? Not buying it. Seems more like a me-too copy of the industry: Audi, Mercedes, Toyota and many other brands. Bmw like Porsche were hold-outs and made attractive cars in the recent gen, now bmw are just following.
If by people you mean the people of China then the answer is yes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #633
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
LCI is after 3.5 years, new model after 7 years.

But of course there are exceptions (e.g. F15 was 5 years until a new model and skipping an LCI).
F80 went through 16 LCI of the tail lights and 18 LCI of the headlights. Remember the M is coming out after the normal 3 series has already been out.

If the sales are low enough BMW will make a change sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #634
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
The G20/G21/G80 LCI is tentatively July 2022, roughly three and half years after the G20 SOP. The G81 should arrive at this time as well.

The G22/G23/G26/G82/G83 LCI is tentatively March 2024, roughly three and half years after the G22 SOP.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #635
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Design direction

Is it BMW Group's Design Director Adrian van Hooydonk's flawed design direction, is it solely his fault? Or is it the suits and bean-counters okaying these poor design decisions??? Or is it all of the above?

Something has happened within BMW's Design Team and their philosophy and most importantly their design direction. Something has to give!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #636
Fishbuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
F80 went through 16 LCI of the tail lights and 18 LCI of the headlights. Remember the M is coming out after the normal 3 series has already been out.

If the sales are low enough BMW will make a change sooner than later.
I hoping for poor sales after the initial demand and they change that grill on the G80 asap. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 1
DCG783.00
      11-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #637
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
I hoping for poor sales after the initial demand and they change that grill on the G80 asap. Fingers crossed!
I dont see what they could change the grille to without changing the hood so I just can't see this happening. Theyre kind of all in on that look as the electric vehicles which don't even need grilles have a similar front end lol
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #638
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Designer Frank Stephenson is not a fan.

At the ~ 21min mark.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/11/14/b...nk-stephenson/

Last edited by seis-speed; 11-17-2020 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMV///M3418.50