BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

03-23-2024, 12:39 PM   #1
KillaY85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX 50

Question about ordering/allocations

Hi All,

I’m looking to place an order for a 2025 M3 when they become available this summer. My understanding is that I would go to a dealer, leave a deposit and wait for the car. I hope it’s that simple. My question is - is it possible to have an allocation but not use it for a couple months? I would assume if I place an order in August the car would come by December 2024, but I would prefer that it arrive in April or May 2025.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:03 PM   #2
ncg80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24 M3

The allocation will have a build week associated with it. If you were looking at wait that long then you may want to try to find an allocation in December.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 02:22 PM   #3
Marius1585
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3

Allocations have a build week associated with them. Generally the dealers get allocations for build slots about 4-6 weeks away. Dealers I ordered through got them in March for mid-April production (in 2022, and now in 2024).

I guess you could put yourself on the list with a dealer, but you really can't delay a production slot. You could start looking later in the year, or find a dealership that gets them often and tell them to count on you for their November/December allocations - but not sure if they would do that.
2004 E46 ///M3 Carbon Black
2004 E46 ///M3 Titanium Silver SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 03:01 PM   #4
BMW2478
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

From my understanding, an M3 order would take far longer than that.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 03:19 PM   #5
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaY85 View Post
Hi All,

I’m looking to place an order for a 2025 M3 when they become available this summer. My understanding is that I would go to a dealer, leave a deposit and wait for the car. I hope it’s that simple. My question is - is it possible to have an allocation but not use it for a couple months? I would assume if I place an order in August the car would come by December 2024, but I would prefer that it arrive in April or May 2025.

Thanks.
It takes about a week for a car to get built and then between 4-6 weeks to get it. Transport time varies. So if u want car in May 2025 then u want it built late March or early April.
Allocation has a build week. So once u get an allocation then u get build week that comes with it.
So either u want to get an allocation with build week u want and hope to find one at that time. Or u go to broker around that time and ask them to find u car that ready to be built. Broker usually chargers fixed small fee (about $1000 again just estimate).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 03:21 PM   #6
BMW2478
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

I do think I assume the reason you'd rather wait. Guessing you are trying to guarantee an allocation but your current lease isn't over till mid 2025. I was in a similar situation with my G82 order. I started the process in October of 24 even though my current lease didn't end until July of 25. I was told M4 orders with individual color would take 6-8 months so I placed my order in December. But I think your M3 order would take longer anyway so if you find allocation, I'd go for it even if the car comes in a few months early.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:21 PM   #7
ncg80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW2478 View Post
From my understanding, an M3 order would take far longer than that.
Not really. It all depends on how fast you find an allocation. I got an allocation in Feb and expect to have the car picked up late April or early May. It’s on a ship right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:33 PM   #8
KillaY85
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW2478 View Post
I do think I assume the reason you'd rather wait. Guessing you are trying to guarantee an allocation but your current lease isn't over till mid 2025. I was in a similar situation with my G82 order. I started the process in October of 24 even though my current lease didn't end until July of 25. I was told M4 orders with individual color would take 6-8 months so I placed my order in December. But I think your M3 order would take longer anyway so if you find allocation, I'd go for it even if the car comes in a few months early.
Close to this. No lease, but I did want to finish paying off my daily driver before jumping into payments on my weekend car. Additionally, I’m in NJ and if I got the car in December of 2024 for instance, I would not drive it till early spring. Currently have no intention of having 2 sets of tires (summer / winter).

Frankly I’m paranoid about the 6MT availability and worried that if I wait till Dec 24/Jan 25 to place an order, BMW might be sold out of 6MTs.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:49 PM   #9
road rage richie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV70 ordered M3 Xdriv

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks.
With my dealership they would take the deposit put me on list - which had few people in front of me - and were willing to give the allocation that would have gone to me to the person behind me if the allocation came too early and then give me the next months allocation. I think it's possible that non high volume dealers don't necessarily get them every month. But the point is I did not want the car in the winter (but it came in 2 months when I got the production number) and could somewhat time it. If you want it next year I would keep an eye on the market and reach out to a dealer 6 months prior.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 05:15 PM   #10
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

You’re on the East Coast so shipping wait isn’t as bad as the other coast.

Whats your exact build spec? If you’re doing anything individual then calculate in extra wait time.
      03-23-2024, 06:46 PM   #11
KillaY85
United_States
Rep

Nothing out of the ordinary:

IOMG with Silverstone and 826M Bi-color wheels (maybe the all silver 825M wheels). All the options for the 6MT model except carbon exterior package, no carbon seats and no performance center delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:17 PM   #12
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

The key in ordering seems to be the delivery week (and having your order number, of course). Since your build has no special options the delivery should stay on time. I went with a broker here on BimmerPost to get my car 77 days from ordering. If you send a PM to Day Laborer he can give you all the details on ordering and how to time your delivery right.
      03-23-2024, 10:57 PM   #13
kenyanjadu
Rep
Drives: Accord EX 6spd

Quote:
Nothing out of the ordinary:

IOMG with Silverstone and 826M Bi-color wheels (maybe the all silver 825M wheels). All the options for the 6MT model except carbon exterior package, no carbon seats and no performance center delivery.

I would do what road rage richie suggested, I would look for a dealership that's willing to put you on a MY25 waitlist - with a refundable deposit I'm sure (I know my local dealership already has a list going), and then contact you whenever you're next in line, and if you're not ready to place your order when your turn comes up, have them contact you every consequent time they have an allocation available. That way you can time it based on the allocation's build week to know when to pull the trigger, and you'll probably be able to time delivery more accurately that way, as opposed to having to initiate a conversation with a dealership on your own wait estimate of 'x' number of months before you want to take delivery, and finding out then that you might have to wait longer because of waitlists/allocation availability at that point. I'd be more comfortable knowing I'm next in line for an allocation every month (or whatever frequency the dealership normally receives allocations), than being at the back of a waitlist at a later point in time. Also - goes without saying, this will work better with a high volume dealer that is known to get allocations more regularly/frequently. I've read some posts on this forum of folks waiting a year just to get an allocation.

Also, just an FYI - performance center delivery is not an "Option". If you're thinking of the $2,500 M-Driver's Package you can option into your build, that's something entirely different. Performance Center Delivery is free, and is not selectable in the BMW 'Build Your Own' configurator.

Last edited by kenyanjadu; 03-23-2024 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 11:07 PM   #14
_GRAYGHOST_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nissan 370Z

Quote:
Close to this. No lease, but I did want to finish paying off my daily driver before jumping into payments on my weekend car. Additionally, I’m in NJ and if I got the car in December of 2024 for instance, I would not drive it till early spring. Currently have no intention of having 2 sets of tires (summer / winter).

Frankly I’m paranoid about the 6MT availability and worried that if I wait till Dec 24/Jan 25 to place an order, BMW might be sold out of 6MTs.
Allocations are not 6mt/comp specific. If everyone wanted a 6mt, they all would be
      03-24-2024, 10:50 AM   #15
KillaY85
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyanjadu View Post
I would do what road rage richie suggested, I would look for a dealership that's willing to put you on a MY25 waitlist - with a refundable deposit I'm sure (I know my local dealership already has a list going), and then contact you whenever you're next in line, and if you're not ready to place your order when your turn comes up, have them contact you every consequent time they have an allocation available. That way you can time it based on the allocation's build week to know when to pull the trigger, and you'll probably be able to time delivery more accurately that way, as opposed to having to initiate a conversation with a dealership on your own wait estimate of 'x' number of months before you want to take delivery, and finding out then that you might have to wait longer because of waitlists/allocation availability at that point. I'd be more comfortable knowing I'm next in line for an allocation every month (or whatever frequency the dealership normally receives allocations), than being at the back of a waitlist at a later point in time. Also - goes without saying, this will work better with a high volume dealer that is known to get allocations more regularly/frequently. I've read some posts on this forum of folks waiting a year just to get an allocation.

Also, just an FYI - performance center delivery is not an "Option". If you're thinking of the $2,500 M-Driver's Package you can option into your build, that's something entirely different. Performance Center Delivery is free, and is not selectable in the BMW 'Build Your Own' configurator.
Thank you for the info. Will certainly try this scenario.
Appreciate 0