BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-18-2023, 08:15 AM   #1
sixspeedshift
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to order

"Future Proof" G80 Spec?

If you were building this car to last you as long as possible, how would you spec it? Less tech so less software issues to potentially go wrong down the line? Certain options that are a must when you're 10+ years older?

I will definitely be getting the base trim since a manual is non-negotiable.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00
      07-18-2023, 08:23 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Well, i mean, you're ordering it with iDrive 8, which means you'd better pray BMW lives up to their promise to update it via OTA or it will be outdated very quickly.

Other than that, you're ordering the manual which is kinda, sorta, well known technology by now. LOL.

Stay away from the carbon ceramics. Way more options for conventional iron rotors.

If you REALLY want to future proof, avoid as much carbon fiber as possible. The resins can yellow as they age, and they wont wear as well. Also, don't do the full leather so you don't have to worry about a leather dash shrinking and cracking over time.

Otherwise, there's not many options you can tick to make the car less complicated. You're talking about a pretty highly complex engine and very sophisticated chassis. Your best bet is to just stay well ahead of maintenance. Be aggressive at changing fluids. Check for carbon buildup and clean the valves if needed. Stay on top of the air / oil separation system, or consider adding a secondary catch can. Consider upgraded cooling components to keep temps down.
Appreciate 1
kooft168.50
      07-18-2023, 08:47 AM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
IMO check all 3 packages at least (Parking Assistance Pro, Drivers Assistance, Executive). They only *add* functionality and you don't have to utilize any of the functions unless you have to, but you won't be able to add it later if you ever want to.

"Future proofing" a car IMO is only as good as adding every option on there to make it function and look how you want. I don't agree on the CF resin aging as long as it's stored in a non-UV-intense environment (garage).

Other than that, cars are always outdated the next year/LCI, so not much beyond checking boxes on the order screen you can do to "future proof" anything here.
Appreciate 2
DO4441408.50
TopJimmy5461.50
      07-18-2023, 09:46 AM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I don't agree on the CF resin aging as long as it's stored in a non-UV-intense environment (garage)..
Hah. Take a look at any 10 year old Porsche with carbon and get back to me. Even my carbon airbox on my Turbo S, which literally NEVER sees the light of day, has yellowed.

I'm sure the resin tech is better now.
Appreciate 1
kooft168.50
      07-18-2023, 09:52 AM   #5
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Hah. Take a look at any 10 year old Porsche with carbon and get back to me. Even my carbon airbox on my Turbo S, which literally NEVER sees the light of day, has yellowed.

I'm not sure how Porsche does it but I've seen multiple F80/82s with CF that look completely fine. It's all about UV protection. Garage + ceramic coating will do wonders for long term look.
Appreciate 2
DO4441408.50
Xtabi1701.50
      07-18-2023, 09:56 AM   #6
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Given BMW history on the updates I would not count on iDrive 8 been future proof for more then 5 years at best.
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2023, 10:06 AM   #7
squadra21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E63S, G80, F83

Quote:

Not to get off topic, but I’m curious about this as well. Aftermarket CF will eventually degrade as you said but I’m wondering if factory CF parts will do the same overtime. For example the carbon roof, even if you garage the car it still gets exposed to the element. When you’re driving it’s a flat surface that gets baked in the sun for a decent amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #8
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Well, i mean, you're ordering it with iDrive 8, which means you'd better pray BMW lives up to their promise to update it via OTA or it will be outdated very quickly.

Other than that, you're ordering the manual which is kinda, sorta, well known technology by now. LOL.

Stay away from the carbon ceramics. Way more options for conventional iron rotors.

If you REALLY want to future proof, avoid as much carbon fiber as possible. The resins can yellow as they age, and they wont wear as well. Also, don't do the full leather so you don't have to worry about a leather dash shrinking and cracking over time.

Otherwise, there's not many options you can tick to make the car less complicated. You're talking about a pretty highly complex engine and very sophisticated chassis. Your best bet is to just stay well ahead of maintenance. Be aggressive at changing fluids. Check for carbon buildup and clean the valves if needed. Stay on top of the air / oil separation system, or consider adding a secondary catch can. Consider upgraded cooling components to keep temps down.
Excellent advice.
      07-18-2023, 10:29 AM   #9
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

We already know that bmw will not be updating idrive 8 on these cars, 8.5 requires MGU5 headunit and we aren’t getting it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:51 AM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
We already know that bmw will not be updating idrive 8 on these cars, 8.5 requires MGU5 headunit and we aren’t getting it.
Not even the 2024's?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:52 AM   #11
spaceage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X6MC, 22 M3, 01 Z3 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedshift View Post
If you were building this car to last you as long as possible, how would you spec it? Less tech so less software issues to potentially go wrong down the line? Certain options that are a must when you're 10+ years older?

I realize this is a “future proof” discussion, but the thing I regret most is not getting full leather. I went with KO interior and didn’t want the orange panels under the dash….but…the plastic/rubber dash is kinda lame on this car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:53 AM   #12
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Not even the 2024's?
24 has the same hardware, i would assume the LCI MY25 will have new hardware.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:03 AM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadra21 View Post
Not to get off topic, but I’m curious about this as well. Aftermarket CF will eventually degrade as you said but I’m wondering if factory CF parts will do the same overtime. For example the carbon roof, even if you garage the car it still gets exposed to the element. When you’re driving it’s a flat surface that gets baked in the sun for a decent amount of time.
These are factory Porsche trim parts I'm referring to. As originally equipped, not even an accessory part. Maybe theirs are just crap, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:10 AM   #14
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I would not do full leather either.. heck, if they had the carbon structure interior like they did with the F80, I would have gotten that!

I had full leather on my 911, and M5, and most recently on the F95 X5M. The dash on the 911 and M5 started to wrinkle, as well as random spots. On my X5M which was only a year old had some issues as well, and everything being full leather meant that you had to be extra careful - a tiny scuff will damage the leather, unlike soft touch plastic which is a lot more durable.

Day 1 on my X5M, I had a tiny fingernail scrape on the upper door card and it drive me nuts because it was within my line of sight everytime I looked left. Had it been just soft touch plastic, a finger nail scrape wouldn't have damaged the panel.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:14 AM   #15
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedshift View Post

As stated above, the car is already very complex so it’s not really about reliability.

Spec the car how you want it. If you are on the fence re an option, get it. Pick a color combination you won’t get tired of.

For me, less tech and options the better. And always a manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:16 AM   #16
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

There is no future proofing a car. Technology will always change. Components will be updated, etc. Manuals are the only ‘future-proof’ item out there, as they are dying a quick death.

As for the carbon fiber issues, even this person had issues after years. So, take it for what it’s worth, but, over time stuff just goes bad, no matter the quality.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...n+roof+florida
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1317.00
      07-18-2023, 11:17 AM   #17
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadra21 View Post
I think this is why PPF on CF room is highly recommended
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:29 AM   #18
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

it seems like this will be the last manual transmission M3/M4.. i currently own a 22 M3 so my plan is to order the last model year of the G80 and check every box (except carbon seats and brakes) and keep the car forever; eventually making it a 2nd car once it gets above 60k miles or so
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 12:42 PM   #19
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:

I'd order the CS with CCBs and gold rims. Or i'd get a 6sped manual any spec.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #20
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
This is untrue. There's two variants of the iDrive 8 system, Linux-based w/ an Intel Atom CPU, and Android-based w/ Qualcomm Snapdragons (newer).

Current iDrive 8 systems are all Intel Atom CPUs and BMW has said that the plan is to upgrade those to iDrive 9 when it's ready. Android-based w/ Snapdragons systems will be released with iDrive 8.5 and then upgraded to iDrive 9 in the future.

It will probably take a long time, but our iDrive 8 systems have been told that they will not be left behind.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 01:42 PM   #21
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
This is untrue. There's two variants of the iDrive 8 system, Linux-based w/ an Intel Atom CPU, and Android-based w/ Qualcomm Snapdragons (newer).

Current iDrive 8 systems are all Intel Atom CPUs and BMW has said that the plan is to upgrade those to iDrive 9 when it's ready. Android-based w/ Snapdragons systems will be released with iDrive 8.5 and then upgraded to iDrive 9 in the future.

It will probably take a long time, but our iDrive 8 systems have been told that they will not be left behind.
Interesting. Can you show me where this is discussed?
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1701.50
      07-18-2023, 01:45 PM   #22
sixspeedshift
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to order

thanks for all the replies so far!

I will have 2 carseats in the back so already decided against the leather 😊

M2 being announced as the last gas only M model and their separate admission that this generation of Ms may be the last manuals are what drove me to buy the car now.

I am trying to decide between Brooklyn Grey, Dravit, and Skyscraper Grey for the exterior.

Definitely doing Parking Package, Drive Recorder, Extended Shadowline, and Ventilated Seats. Black basic interior seat color, basic dash option, and the standard grey wheels thus far. Probably blue calipers.
Appreciate 0