jnslance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

Possible Remote Software Upgrade on Locked DME

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey All,

Possibly in a precarious situation and not sure how to handle it. I currently have my DME shipped and en route to FEMTO. Today in the My BMW app, I noticed that it said the latest software update is uploaded and ready to install. Of course I became mildly concerned as I don’t want to install the freshly unlocked DME only to have an update installed that relocks it. I went out to the car and this is the only option I have under remote upgrade Settings (see pic below). Anyone familiar with the process here to know how I can ensure that this does not install on my DME once I put it back in the car? Trying to save putting out another $1k++ 😬
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 06:29 PM   #2
jnslance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

I think I just about figured it out. The issue was the setting to deactivate the remote software upgrade is also on the same screen that was already updating it so it wasn’t giving me the option to turn it off. What I did was go to reset vehicle data and erased my entire profile and all of the vehicle settings. Basically a hard reset on the iDrive system. That kicked the software upgrade back into deactivated by default.

For some reason, I can’t attach a new picture with this reply but I’m essentially at the screen now that requests that I activate the function now (for remote software upgrade) which I will NOT be doing
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 10:38 PM   #3
njoyRice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Aren't you supposed to leave the neg battery cable disconnected while your DME is out?

But glad it seems you got it figured out. There's been a quite a few people on the G80 FB groups who had a unlocked DME and the update essentially bricked the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 12:26 AM   #4
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoyRice View Post
Aren't you supposed to leave the neg battery cable disconnected while your DME is out?

But glad it seems you got it figured out. There's been a quite a few people on the G80 FB groups who had a unlocked DME and the update essentially bricked the car.
Why would it brick the car VS just locking it?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 03:01 PM   #5
njoyRice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishTX View Post
Why would it brick the car VS just locking it?
I don't know I'm not BMW but the idrive says that the software update failed and is not ready to operate, call roadside.

It seems like you just have resend your DME to Femto to get it re-unlocked but not sure.
Appreciate 0