BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-28-2022, 12:23 AM   #199
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
I don't know if anyone mentioned it earlier but are they really going to get rid of the standard M shifter in the M5? It looks like it from the interior photos. This is currently one of my favorite things about the M cars. I can understand this change in the regular line of cars but I'm surprised they are going this route on the performance models.
      10-28-2022, 03:44 AM   #200
Seyfo52
France
Rep
Drives: Bmw f20

The end of V8
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 08:33 AM   #201
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Are those not paddles on the steering wheel?
They are, that's the problem when you have no gear shifter though on tight right hand turns. I personally like them on the steering wheel over the column but when the upshift paddle is in the 7 or 8 oclock position on a right hand turn it's a pain to shift into second gear so alot of times i'll just use the gear selector in those cases, its more comfortable.
Appreciate 1
NGT25605.50
      10-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #202
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by somer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Are those not paddles on the steering wheel?
They are, that's the problem when you have no gear shifter though on tight right hand turns. I personally like them on the steering wheel over the column but when the upshift paddle is in the 7 or 8 oclock position on a right hand turn it's a pain to shift into second gear so alot of times i'll just use the gear selector in those cases, its more comfortable.
Ahh gotcha

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #203
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Finally they switch up the bulky steering wheel design of yore
      10-28-2022, 03:21 PM   #204
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHANM5 View Post
I'm wondering if the new G90 M5 will still have the exhaust muffler pops on the down shifts? That's the deal breaker for me. I love how my competition pops on the down shift.
It might, but only if you're Stateside. For us in Europe, it'll likely be muted beyond recognition, given the fact that the EU isn't content with just clamping down on emissions with big engines; they're also imposing layer on layer of auditory restrictions too. I just can't imagine a hybridised V8 being that characterful. But who knows: maybe a few militant folks who still possess some residual influence within the M-Division will map in a few crackle theatrics on the overrun; but there's only so far that sort of thing can be manipulated, and it's doubtful--unless they design a fuel map that's purposefully aggressive, and that would cut against the grain of the cars-must-be-quieter-and-more-ecologically-pious trend of our current moment.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:48 PM   #205
YOHANM5
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Quote:
I'm wondering if the new G90 M5 will still have the exhaust muffler pops on the down shifts? That's the deal breaker for me. I love how my competition pops on the down shift.
It might, but only if you're Stateside. For us in Europe, it'll likely be muted beyond recognition, given the fact that the EU isn't content with just clamping down on emissions with big engines; they're also imposing layer on layer of auditory restrictions too. I just can't imagine a hybridised V8 being that characterful. But who knows: maybe a few militant folks who still possess some residual influence within the M-Division will map in a few crackle theatrics on the overrun; but there's only so far that sort of thing can be manipulated, and it's doubtful--unless they design a fuel map that's purposefully aggressive, and that would cut against the grain of the cars-must-be-quieter-and-more-ecologically-pious trend of our current moment.
Shout out to Europe!!! Pardon me, for mentioning the pops and crackles to a fellows European brother. I thank you for your input, It really has been on my mind. I think the electric cars are cool. I take pride in driving M muscle. I'm the "Mayor" on the road,lol. They have to keep the same characteristics. I think that is what sets us apart from everyone else. Brutal Mpower rules the road. It's only 1 gear 2 gear (3 gear over 80mph) is where the Mpower crackles and pops exist. The only think bmw has to do is have an option for Mmuscle mode…. I think every electirc car manufacturer will follow, Especially any company making an electric muscle car. I'm from Jersey we take muscle cars and speed serious..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 01:37 AM   #206
ThesaVeliona
Starry_Angel
Rep
Drives: '02 Lexus IS300 / '15 BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyfo52 View Post
The end of V8
What do you mean? V8 is here. S68B44, difference is, it's Hybrid. I know people want just-ICE cars even after whole world goes EVs, but what can you do in a period like this? You keep it just ICE? M2's the last M to be non Hybrid.
      10-29-2022, 02:04 AM   #207
YOHANM5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veliona Vollerei View Post
Quote:
The end of V8
What do you mean? V8 is here. S68B44, difference is, it's Hybrid. I know people want just-ICE cars even after whole world goes EVs, but what can you do in a period like this? You keep it just ICE? M2's the last M to be non Hybrid.
Greatings my friend,
I smoke electric cars daily. My M5 comp has about almost 75k of mileage which means, the engine is ripe. 4th gear for the highway. I'm not saying electric cars isn't faster.. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, I smoke electric cars everyday. They have to keep the M5 characteristics. The only thing hybrid brings to the table is, better gas mileage.
KEEP THE POPS AND CRACKLES ON THE DOWN SHIfT!!!! PLEASE…
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 01:13 AM   #208
YOHANM5
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The end of V8
Greatings my friend,
I smoke electric cars daily. My M5 comp has about almost 75k of mileage which means, the engine is ripe. 4th gear for the highway. I'm not saying electric cars isn't faster.. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, I smoke electric cars everyday. They have to keep the M5 characteristics. The only thing hybrid brings to the table is, better gas mileage.
Ok Everyone,
Quick question? Should stop driving my M5 comp? I'm at 75k and my friends tend to think, my M5 competition is going to worth money after the electric M5 take over. A low mileage M5 is always a dream come true. I love driving my M5, should I be scared of putting 100k+ on it and growing old with my M5. Should I keep low mileage for future value? It priceless to me now. Your thoughts please..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 01:39 AM   #209
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The end of V8
Greatings my friend,
Ok Everyone,
Quick question? Should stop driving my M5 comp? I'm at 75k and my friends tend to think, my M5 competition is going to worth money after the electric M5 take over. A low mileage M5 is always a dream come true. I love driving my M5, should I be scared of putting 100k+ on it and growing old with my M5. Should I keep low mileage for future value? It priceless to me now. Your thoughts please..
At 75k miles you'd have to stop driving it for a couple years.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 02:19 AM   #210
YOHANM5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Stig View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The end of V8
Greatings my friend,
Ok Everyone,
At 75k miles you'd have to stop driving it for a couple years.
My friend, is car guy. He told me the same thing. He told me "I need to stop putting mileage on My comp".
I have to be honest, it's a next level drive. I mean, what I'm I going to do? Stop driving my comp? I'm the boss In the winter. I'm the boss In The summer. Fall and spring I own. I'm putting 3k a year on my mileage. I'm not thinking about selling it. It's priceless to me. The engine. I can't explain. The twin turbo 8 opens up around 60k miles. My car was still green at 20k 25k mileage. The engine opened up around 65k mileage. The New M competition engines wakes up around 68k real talk. My M5 is more fun now!! Then when I first brought it! 100k+ plus! I think I'm going to keep driving it and never sale it. First car I hit 160 mph in.

Juan L
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #211
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The end of V8
Greatings my friend,
Ok Everyone,
You have 75k miles already. You bought it to enjoy it. Just drive it.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #212
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Quote:
I think it will be characteristic from the small time I had driving behind a camouflaged XM last week that was pushing it, it sounded mean and like it had character. I have high hopes
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 02:54 PM   #213
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Latest M5 Touring spied on video:

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 3
hhkb860.50
jphcbpa314.50
      10-09-2023, 03:43 PM   #214
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M4COMP View Post
Resale value of my m4 on order just skyrocketed
Why?
I've checked, nothing seems to skyrocket.
Actually resale values are going down.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 04:14 PM   #215
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Why?
I've checked, nothing seems to skyrocket.
Actually resale values are going down.
yup they are going to go down because of the new hotness.

that said the standard shifter and again no physical buttons? I hate this useless march towards touch screen everything also.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 04:47 PM   #216
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I can’t get over how enormous the car is.
      10-09-2023, 05:12 PM   #217
IcEWoLF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
yup they are going to go down because of the new hotness.

that said the standard shifter and again no physical buttons? I hate this useless march towards touch screen everything also.
100% agree. I hate touch buttons. All these touchscreens is going to increase accident percentage. We are still driving these cars, I don’t want the car driving me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 07:13 PM   #218
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Slowly saving up for a down payment on this beast! Maybe the MY2026 version. The hype is getting real.
      10-09-2023, 10:01 PM   #219
Hassan1490
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535i, X3, M5, i4M50

718hp is a very low-performance number. The AMG GT63S E hybrid got 830hp, and it barely beat the current M5 Competition.
I don't know how BMW managed this with only 718HP.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2023, 12:21 AM   #220
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
The touring looks better than the sedan (noting my bias here)
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa314.50