01-21-2023, 01:11 PM   #67
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Anyone else hear a belt/pulley squeal during a cold start on cold days?

Example - https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29758177
      01-21-2023, 01:51 PM   #68
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I have heard a higher pitched sound but only from inside my house after I remote start the car. It has only happened in the cold and it sounds more like a higher pitched whistle. I thought it was the intake sucking in air or something. I’ve never heard it in the garage next to the car during startup.

I just tried today (~23 degrees F) while standing out there and there was no noise. It’s possible I’m having a similar issue but I can’t confirm
Appreciate 1
Ximian1913.00
      01-25-2023, 02:39 PM   #69
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I saw one of you headed north on 35W this morning! All I could see was an IOMG G82 speeding away while I sat in traffic. The car looked AMAZING and really made me second guess not going with that color
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 06:40 AM   #70
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Anyone else hear a belt/pulley squeal during a cold start on cold days?

Example - https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29758177
Just got a 2 second squeal this morning when starting the car, it happened twice in the same startup. ~2 seconds followed by normal, then ~1 second squeal. I’m still following the above thread but it looks like it’s the pulley system? We will see
Appreciate 1
Ximian1913.00
      02-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #71
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I’m going to register for this track night if anyone else is interested.

https://www.scca.com/events/2002784-...-college-may-5

This will be my first time so I’m thinking I’ll be with the novice group while I learn the basics
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 09:30 PM   #72
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
The BMW CCA has a driving event at DCTC on Feb 25th and it's a pretty good value for the day - https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ege-cca-694854

They also offer a free "taste of" the experience during lunch break - https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...chnical-393166

Otherwise registration is opened for Sommer Schnell 2023 - https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...th-star-752972
      02-09-2023, 10:33 PM   #73
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I definitely want to sign up for that winter driving school. Thanks for sharing!

I don’t think I’ll be able to make the one the first weekend in June (baby expected that week). It’s a pretty big bummer for me but I would like to get out to BIR sometime this summer if possible
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 12:09 PM   #74
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Just registered for Feb 25th! Hopefully I’ll see some other G8X owners there!
Appreciate 1
Ximian1913.00
      02-11-2023, 04:40 PM   #75
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Ximian,

I’m reading through the general track chat and there is a lot of great info I’m reading about. I see that you are pretty active over there as well and I wanted to get your thoughts on how I should prepare for the track. There are a lot of options and it’s somewhat daunting to try and decide what I need to do.

I’m hoping to run as stock as possible the first time out so I can set a baseline and learn what mods I like or dislike. Is there anything I should absolutely do just from a safety perspective? While reading through some of the threads, it seems that the stock break pads won’t hold up more than one day? I’m planning to go over to Orr Autosport to get their thoughts as well on brake fluid or any other necessary items.

Helmet is ordered and should be shipped here soon! All this warm weather lately has me PUMPED!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 11:00 PM   #76
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatThatLunchBaby View Post
Ximian,

I’m reading through the general track chat and there is a lot of great info I’m reading about. I see that you are pretty active over there as well and I wanted to get your thoughts on how I should prepare for the track. There are a lot of options and it’s somewhat daunting to try and decide what I need to do.

I’m hoping to run as stock as possible the first time out so I can set a baseline and learn what mods I like or dislike. Is there anything I should absolutely do just from a safety perspective? While reading through some of the threads, it seems that the stock break pads won’t hold up more than one day? I’m planning to go over to Orr Autosport to get their thoughts as well on brake fluid or any other necessary items.

Helmet is ordered and should be shipped here soon! All this warm weather lately has me PUMPED!
For DCTC, there's isn't much you need. The road surface is a bit abrasive so people complain about tire wear but that's not going to be a worry in February.

If you're planning on Brainerd before the baby arrives, I recommend an event with instruction if you don't have much track experience. There are some events that will let novices on track without any vetting of claimed experience. You might end up on track with fully prepped race cars and you will not have fun. Nord Stern PCA has their start of track season in end of April so that's worth looking into. The BIR PDS also has events on May 1st, 8th, 22nd, 26th, and 29th.

For Brainerd, the stock brakes will work perfectly well. There are two higher speed braking zones, but enough straights to let them cool off. The people wearing out brake pads in a day don't believe in cool down laps in a middle of a session. In 2021, I did two days in 95F temperatures before finding out on the third day that the front brake duct covers existed and should be removed for optimal cooling. Front pads had plenty of life left after that weekend but rears were worn down quite a bit. Stock brake fluid as well.

There are track pads options but unless you're tracking multiple events per year, their expense can wait. I purchased a set of take off brake pads on the forum and have those as a backup. That's my recommendation if you're only going to do one or two events this year. With a 2023 and no track events yet, your stock fluid will be good enough as well. Otherwise brake fluid like Motul RBF660 or Endless RF-650 will be more than enough. Not entirely a fan of Castrol SRF because it can be a bit corrosive if left long term, but that's what's currently in my track car until I switch to Endless fluid this spring.

For track pads, CarboTech, Hawk, Porterfield, and Endless have compatible options. It looks like Cobalt Friction had track pads last year, but they're revising it so it's not yet available. There's other options and some reviews on the track forums. I'm sure there will be more in a couple of months once track season heats up.

Chris has a great team at Orr Autosport and they're the only place I trust with track tech inspections. They'll have great advice as well.

The final thing is for helmets, it's best to try them on first. I ordered an HJC helmet last year after measuring my head multiple times and confirmed it would fit. After it arrived and a I tried it on, instant headache. Only place we have that I know of that sells Snell rated helmets is Speedy Race Gear in St. Paul. They also do helmet rentals through RaceSuitRental.com but you get a discount if you pick it up and drop off in the store as the shipping isn't necessary.
      02-12-2023, 05:33 AM   #77
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
For DCTC, there's isn't much you need. The road surface is a bit abrasive so people complain about tire wear but that's not going to be a worry in February.

If you're planning on Brainerd before the baby arrives, I recommend an event with instruction if you don't have much track experience. There are some events that will let novices on track without any vetting of claimed experience. You might end up on track with fully prepped race cars and you will not have fun. Nord Stern PCA has their start of track season in end of April so that's worth looking into. The BIR PDS also has events on May 1st, 8th, 22nd, 26th, and 29th.

For Brainerd, the stock brakes will work perfectly well. There are two higher speed braking zones, but enough straights to let them cool off. The people wearing out brake pads in a day don't believe in cool down laps in a middle of a session. In 2021, I did two days in 95F temperatures before finding out on the third day that the front brake duct covers existed and should be removed for optimal cooling. Front pads had plenty of life left after that weekend but rears were worn down quite a bit. Stock brake fluid as well.

There are track pads options but unless you're tracking multiple events per year, their expense can wait. I purchased a set of take off brake pads on the forum and have those as a backup. That's my recommendation if you're only going to do one or two events this year. With a 2023 and no track events yet, your stock fluid will be good enough as well. Otherwise brake fluid like Motul RBF660 or Endless RF-650 will be more [...]
Thank you for the very thorough response, it’s really helpful when trying to make sense of all the info here on the forums. It’s especially helpful when discussing specific tracks and their needs. I’ll take a look into what sessions I can do at BIR with an instructor before the baby arrives (I don’t imagine having a lot of time for me after that).

I probably should have tried the helmet on prior to ordering but fingers crossed that my measurements are okay and I don’t have to return it.

It sounds like I could start the season completely stock and not run into any real issues. If it were you, would you remove the front brake duct covers in advance? I’m torn on whether I would want to remove them and leave them off for daily driving.

Thanks for the pads/fluid recommendations as well, I’ll save those for future purchases.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 08:58 AM   #78
JManchu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Hello!

Just arrived back from Nashville with my fresh off the boat M3 Comp xDrive. Hope to see you all around! I'm south of the river, near Apple Valley.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2023, 02:46 PM   #79
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It sounds like I could start the season completely stock and not run into any real issues. If it were you, would you remove the front brake duct covers in advance? I’m torn on whether I would want to remove them and leave them off for daily driving.
I take them off when I get to the track. It takes 15 seconds per side, not including moving the steering to full lock. I wear gloves because the covers can catch some disgusting stuff.

If you have the bucket seats, bring a T25 bit so you can unscrew the two bolts holding in the head rest cushion to give your helmet extra space.
      02-12-2023, 02:47 PM   #80
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManchu View Post
Hello!

Just arrived back from Nashville with my fresh off the boat M3 Comp xDrive. Hope to see you all around! I'm south of the river, near Apple Valley.
I'm in the northwestern part of Lakeville so perhaps I'll see you around.
      02-12-2023, 03:03 PM   #81
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hello!

Welcome! I’m in Farmington, I’ll keep an eye out for you! It’s not the Sao Paulo Yellow M3 I saw on Cedar in AV yesterday was it? I know there is another dad with a SPY G83 that does the school pickup when the snow isn’t too much for the soft top
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 07:16 PM   #82
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Welcome! I’m in Farmington, I’ll keep an eye out for you! It’s not the Sao Paulo Yellow M3 I saw on Cedar in AV yesterday was it? I know there is another dad with a SPY G83 that does the school pickup when the snow isn’t too much for the soft top
That was probably me
      02-12-2023, 08:41 PM   #83
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Ohhh so that was you! Haha how do you keep that thing so clean in the winter?! It was spangling in the sun. That color really pops in person
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 09:04 PM   #84
JManchu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Oh I guess I should give more detail, haha. Yeah I’m in a Sapphire Black M3, carbon fiber package. Should be easy to spot. Mostly around 77 and Lakeville.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 11:15 PM   #85
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ohhh so that was you! Haha how do you keep that thing so clean in the winter?! It was spangling in the sun. That color really pops in person
I've been going here if it's not too far below freezing - http://sparkle-wash.com/lakeville-car-wash.html

It's hard to find a touch free one with the undercarriage wash in winter so that's the next best thing.
      02-13-2023, 05:57 AM   #86
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh I guess I should give more detail, haha. Yeah I’m in a Sapphire Black M3, carbon fiber package. Should be easy to spot. Mostly around 77 and Lakeville.
The stealth build! I love it, I’ll keep an eye out for you on my way to/from work. I’m usually on 77 most days in a Dravit. If you see some hooligan in MDM mode on some farm roads, it’s probably me just warming up my tires so I can properly make the target run for my wife lol
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 08:02 PM   #87
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Anyone else do any sim racing? I’ve started playing GT7 on the PlayStation and having some fun. Super low end wheel and pedals but it’s a little better than a controller
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:09 PM   #88
Ximian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
I do a few hours of GT7 a week but only with the controller for now. Might get the VR2 and one of the basic wheel kits after the track season in the fall.

My ID is ximian1.