home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

01-27-2023, 02:21 PM   #1
G80Java2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Competition

Weight Distrubition / Suspension change

Heyo today I decided to measure weight of my M3C 2022 full carbon interior/exterior.
I was on on 75% gas tank.

Results were weird and confusing I need adivce, hope you guys can help.

so without driver on the car weights were:
Front Left 443KG(976lbs) Front Right 467KG (1030lbs)
Rear Left 426KG(939lbs) Rear Right 403kg (888lbs)

at first we did not like difference in rear side 23kgs(50lbs) so I sat in my car, we know this would make it even worse but we tried so on front we got perfect weight. on rear it was far worse.

After I sat on driver's seat:
Front Left 477KG(1050LB) Front Right 477KG(1050LB)
Rear Left 463KG(1020LBS) Front Left 418KG(920Lbs)

so we got 45kg (99lbs) difference on the rear side.

So I wanna know if this is okay or if this can be adjusted somehow with factory suspension or if its worth worrying or not. or what about Gas tank? Does it make any change? 75% of gas tank is about 45L of petrol which is about 30kgs in weight. Could it be that? Should I measure weight with 5-10% gas tank? full gas tank? how is it done generally?

Guy in the shop also told me that we could buy KW suspension kit for 6500$ and we can adjust weight distrubution perfectly and make perfect use of the car on drag and track. My car is tuned 700whp 800wnm. and when I floor the throttle it does not go straight it goes right, and it always goes right. Maybe its because of rear left tyre having more downforce and more grip.

Thanks everyone in advance whoever bothers to read this and has any helpful information!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 09:44 PM   #2
MarcusM117
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

This is super interesting! I would say do not worry about the distribution in the rear, the differential balances out how power is put down.

On KW suspension kit, it depends on how you intend to use your car. If you are pushing to set track records, then sure it might make sense but I’d recommend much deeper research before dropping $6500.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 10:13 PM   #3
Mo_g82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G82 M4 competition X-drive

I wonder if there is a dynamic weight distribution reason for this. I.e due to maybe where tanks are situated across the car there is more weight pushed to the rear right during a turn / during turn to turn movements. To counter this they've made the static weight of the rear right lighter?

Absolute guess by the way! but if the car feels just as solid / balanced in a hard right turn as it does in a hard left it may be being balanced out on the road
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 04:31 AM   #4
wowwitsgau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000 x2, 2022 M3 Comp

Garage List
You’re waaaaaaayyyy overthinking this.

Corner balancing isn’t anything that needs to be worried/obsessed about unless you’re chasing the last hundredths of a second on a road course. I guarantee you won’t even feel a difference if you get it done

As for the car pulling to the right, it’s an alignment issue. Get the car aligned
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 07:26 AM   #5
G80Java2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowwitsgau View Post
You’re waaaaaaayyyy overthinking this.

Corner balancing isn’t anything that needs to be worried/obsessed about unless you’re chasing the last hundredths of a second on a road course. I guarantee you won’t even feel a difference if you get it done

As for the car pulling to the right, it’s an alignment issue. Get the car aligned
I live in 3rd world country, our top 3 service shops dont have any car alignment details for cars after 2018 sadly. So I cant really get it done, correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 10:51 PM   #6
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

If the car hooks up and goes right consider upgrading the rear suspension with monoballs. Will hurt NVH but will help with bushing deflection like you are seeing. Also rear diff inserts may be of consideration. Start with an alignment however.

This isn't something corner balancing will fix.
Appreciate 0