04-13-2024, 04:16 AM   #45
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Any follow up on this? I'm looking for a track/street pad that isn't to noisy, but a bit of an upgrade over factory. Compromises on cold braking is okay. How are the MX72-PLUS on track? Noisy on street?
It's been pretty good so far.

For Street:
  • Worse cold bite than stock, but nowhere near bad enough to be an issue on the street. You have to press the brakes a bit harder, but it's more of a slight nuisance than anything dangerous.
  • Generates less brake dust than stock. I don't know what BMW did, but the stock pads dust like crazy.
  • Noisier than stock for sure. Once you brake lightly for a while and wear off that layer of pad material on the rotors, it'll start squeaking. It's nowhere near as bad as a race car, but it's definitely audible from within the cabin. You can always just brake more aggressively or bed the pads in again to get rid of it.

For Track:
  • Way better wear than stock. Stock pads last me about a 1-1.5 track days at Laguna Seca. I've now used the MX72-Plus for 2 track days and it's still got a lot of life left.
  • Less bite and better modulation than stock. The stock pads have good bite, but they feel a bit grabby. It wasn't very confidence inspiring when trail braking. These pads are much better in this regard, but it feels like I have to press a bit harder to get the same amount of deceleration.

My main issue with the pad is that track use is still glazing my rotors a bit. After a hard track day, I get vibrations on the highway while braking. This usually goes away in a month or two of street driving, but it's a bit annoying. I'll probably go a step up and try the ME20 next and see how that compares. I'm basically trying to find the least aggressive compound that still gets the job done. If anyone on here has better recommendations, let me know.
      04-14-2024, 03:31 AM   #46
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember.m4 View Post
My main issue with the pad is that track use is still glazing my rotors a bit. After a hard track day, I get vibrations on the highway while braking. This usually goes away in a month or two of street driving, but it's a bit annoying. I'll probably go a step up and try the ME20 next and see how that compares. I'm basically trying to find the least aggressive compound that still gets the job done. If anyone on here has better recommendations, let me know.
This is my problem as well. My EBC Blues glaze on brake heavy days, then it just vibrates whenever they get heat back into them.

I think we are all in search of that perfect pad: low/no noise, no glazing, good modulation, safe for street.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 12:09 PM   #47
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
This is my problem as well. My EBC Blues glaze on brake heavy days, then it just vibrates whenever they get heat back into them.

I think we are all in search of that perfect pad: low/no noise, no glazing, good modulation, safe for street.
Yeah, sadly our nearly 4000 lb cars generates a ton of heat braking. On a scale from street to aggressive, the MX72-plus is more aggressive than the blues, so you may still want to give them a try to see if they are enough for you. Depending on your track and how aggressive you drive, you may find them sufficient. For example, I am able to drive buttonwillow with no glazing (fewer hard braking zones), but can’t do Laguna. For reference, the advertised operating temp ranges for the compounds are:

Blues: 0-550C
MX72-Plus: 50-750C
ME20: 150-800C

You’ll notice as you go more aggressive the cold temps fall out of operating range, hence the inconsistent cold bite feel.

Last edited by ember.m4; 04-14-2024 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18700.00
      04-14-2024, 07:19 PM   #48
lizardx
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia QV

What about N39S?

Friction: 0,42-0,52μ
Heat levels: 0-850°C

They work from cold and have agressive initial bite with very strong overall braking power; however they are slightly harder to modulate. I tried them on Giulia QV (similar type of vehicle as M3 - weight, power, rwd saloon).

Or perhaps endurance compounds (haven't tried those yet); like MA46B; they have lower braking power, can take a lot of heat, and should last 2-3x longer than sprint/track day pads like ME20, N39S,... But cost twice as much and won't really work well from cold.

Last edited by lizardx; 04-14-2024 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 09:45 PM   #49
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
I think RS29s are it.
      04-15-2024, 03:20 PM   #50
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Are there any PFC or Ferrodo offerings yet? I cannot seem to find any. I think Ferrodo DS3.12 would be perfect for this platform. Pagid RSL29’s can work if there is no other option I will run them on my G87 and see, but the 3.12’s the best track pads I’ve ever used.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 05:57 PM   #51
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Are there any PFC or Ferrodo offerings yet? I cannot seem to find any. I think Ferrodo DS3.12 would be perfect for this platform. Pagid RSL29’s can work if there is no other option I will run them on my G87 and see, but the 3.12’s the best track pads I’ve ever used.
I think 3.12s are really great pads for track, but they consume the rotors way too much IMHO, which is the reason I prefer the RS29s as all purpose pads.
      04-15-2024, 06:32 PM   #52
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

I just Finished Barber Motorsport 2 day event and the Blue stuff is great, but like yourselves trying to find streetable track options. Changing out pads after every event is no fun, even if you have the time.

It will be interesting if going to VS-5RS wheels will help with heat dissipation some. But having gone to supercar3 from PS4S and PZero will work them harder. VIR has some speed to get rid of for sure, but Barber never gives the brakes much time off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
m4ml1832.50
      04-15-2024, 08:16 PM   #53
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

DS3.12’s have really nice bite when cold as well, although I wouldn’t daily drive on them. I have always used Girodisc rotors and they hold up no problem. In my experience there isn’t really one pad that can do it all. You can go something like a DS2500 but it’s really sub optimal on track and will get worn down very quickly if you put too much heat in it. I have never used RSL 29’s but looking at their graph they look more similar to a DS1.11 or a PFC 11 which are both good pads but less aggressive than a 3.12.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #54
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
RSL29 Update

While doing track inspection, I took a couple of picture of the front pads. The following are after a single event at Summit Point, which I would consider moderate to highly tough on brakes. The wear is about 1 mm at this time, the RSL29s are holding up very well at this time.

Name:  RSL29-Front Post-track 1.png
Views: 30
Size:  676.0 KB

Name:  RSL29 Front Post-track 2.png
Views: 29
Size:  641.7 KB

Name:  RSL29 Front Post-track 3.png
Views: 30
Size:  700.5 KB
m4ml1832.50
      Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #55
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
While doing track inspection, I took a couple of picture of the front pads. The following are after a single event at Summit Point, which I would consider moderate to highly tough on brakes. The wear is about 1 mm at this time, the RSL29s are holding up very well at this time.
Pretty much the exact same experience with the RSL29s after two days (9 25-minute sessions) at Buttonwillow.
Appreciate 1