BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-07-2023, 04:48 PM   #617
purplem3sjetskis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Finally getting around to seeing what this thing can do, post break-in service, in D2 and Sport and I’m blown away — love this car — can’t fathom what D3/S3 and Sport+ will bring… all i wanna do is drive it.
Appreciate 8
jmg18658.50
chicagofan0019068.00
natmad667.00
Needsdecaf6511.50
      09-08-2023, 09:00 AM   #618
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtopp View Post
Not really a discovery, but my G80 makes all kinds of (non-ominous) noises if I'm in and out of the car with the engine off. Humming, whirring, whatever. I think some of it is opening vents for the cabin, some of it is an electrical noise from the headlights when they come on...but yeah, it's quite a symphony.
I noticed this symphony of precision sounding little electric motors in my M2C as well!

I’m guessing BMW designed the symphony of exercising all the little electric motors that open and close HVAC vents and other things to keep them working well in the long run. Otherwise some of these little motors might not ever get moved.

If you don’t use it, you might lose it.

So I keep telling my wife!
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2023, 07:50 AM   #619
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Bringing up an older thread, but it may be apropos and help someone who drives in wintery conditions.

Yesterday roadtrip through mountains with recent snowmelt. Air temp around 40F/4C. Roadcrews applied deicer which everyone was thankful for in the shady parts. Thought it was water runoff, but the wiper and wash had difficulty cleaning. It smeared. First time driving in this part of the state so who knows what their roadcrews use.

The BMW Connect didn't like the thin opaque road film, and screen warning appeared: the car basically said driver's assistance may be effected.

Really didn't think too much of it.

Decided to ABI (always back in, for those who don't know) at our destination. After 19 months ownership I have become used to seeing the colored bars and hearing the obstacle approach warnings. Backing slowly while checking mirrors to line up in spot, and SCRAAAAAAAAPE!!!!

WTF!!!! Immediate and frantic check of surroundings to see what I hit, but we were the only vehicle in the lot. What did I damage??? Deep breath. Flashlight to inspect....

Did you know there are feelers/scrapers on the bottom of the stock exhaust tips?? Whew, big relief. They quite possibly prevented my non-aware/muscle memory backing up from crunching the diffuser or doing damage to exhaust.

Long story short: I discovered that the windshield BMW Connect sensor goes into limp mode with certain road deicer, and it does indeed effect driver's assistance.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by YamaLink; 12-22-2023 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
seirk191.50