BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

01-07-2022, 03:46 PM   #925
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
You seem to be keeping a calm, level head about this whole thing. Very commendable. Not sure I could stay that calm (or if you're keeping it cool here in public, and ranting around your house )

My very vague, high-level understanding of so-called lemon laws is that they are state laws, and vary widely. If I were in your shoes, I would probably poke around online to conduct some basic research as to the lemon law that applies in your state (you may be able to find info on your state's AG's office website, for example), and I would suggest (if you're so inclined) trying to consult with a knowledgeable, local lemon law attorney about your situation. At least in certain states, I believe that a new vehicle with a defect that causes the vehicle to be out of service, at a dealer, waiting for repair, for a certain consecutive period and/or for a certain number of days total, within the first X miles and/or a certain initial time period, can qualify as a lemon. People commonly think about the X-or-more-dealer-service-visits for the same issue, without resolution, lemons. But in some states, prolonged down time can also make a lemon. So in certain cases and certain states, if, for example, your car is within the first year/12,000 miles, and sits at the dealer for this engine defect for 30 or more days within that year/12,000 miles, then you could perhaps have a lemon. (I have no idea whether a formal recall somehow allows manufacturers to skirt lemon laws...)

Of course I'm not a lemon law lawyer, so I won't pretend to provide any advice on this - but I once had an almost-lemon, that magically got fixed a few days before the cutoff...funny how the dealer service department, regional engineer, and others got a lot more motivated as the state-law deadline approached.

If I had a $70-100k brand new car sitting at the dealer for a month or more within a few months of taking ownership, waiting on a new engine, I'd probably be trying to contact a local lemon law lawyer where I live, just to know and understand my options (even if in the end, you would prefer to just wait it out, drive a loaner, and get your car back, plus hopefully some manufacturer concessions).
Solid advice. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #926
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh4rfR4t View Post
I am very surprised we have not heard anyone else chime in with their experience regarding this situation. I can not imagine Knight and myself (Jan 31st) are the only one to schedule this recall. I will keep everyone updated on my experience when my car goes in at the end of this month. If your car has gone in for this recall please speak up and let us know your outcome!
Agreed. Either the others affected aren’t on the forum or they can’t bring themselves to post about it cause the situation sucks balls!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 09:26 PM   #927
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
I am very surprised we have not heard anyone else chime in with their experience regarding this situation. I can not imagine Knight and myself (Jan 31st) are the only one to schedule this recall. I will keep everyone updated on my experience when my car goes in at the end of this month. If your car has gone in for this recall please speak up and let us know your outcome!
I had commented on this I’m supposedly affected week 31 also BUT I’m holding until dealer or bmw forces me. Definitely not trying to be the first (at my dealer at least). Car is fine only 2k on it I know eventually I will have to do it (if I’m affected) but as I stated above I haven’t been notified of anything besides of what I already know.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:02 PM   #928
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
I had commented on this I’m supposedly affected week 31 also BUT I’m holding until dealer or bmw forces me. Definitely not trying to be the first (at my dealer at least). Car is fine only 2k on it I know eventually I will have to do it (if I’m affected) but as I stated above I haven’t been notified of anything besides of what I already know.
This was the position I took as well. It may be easier to flip flop now that I am where I am, but my dealer did say it’s better to be addressing this now instead of having to repair (replace) layer due to major damage. It’s always better to be proactive rather than reactive.

Not saying something major would happen but it’s possible I guess. I’m assuming BMW would want to avoid any major issues so I’d think they’d be proactive in getting this done as well. Who know…
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 06:33 AM   #929
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
This was the position I took as well. It may be easier to flip flop now that I am where I am, but my dealer did say it’s better to be addressing this now instead of having to repair (replace) layer due to major damage. It’s always better to be proactive rather than reactive.

Not saying something major would happen but it’s possible I guess. I’m assuming BMW would want to avoid any major issues so I’d think they’d be proactive in getting this done as well. Who know…
Yup totally agree…I will get the car in for diagnostic sometime soon. Although I do think BMW should be the one AFTER owners with affected cars or at least provide a list of the vins affected.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:05 AM   #930
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup totally agree…I will get the car in for diagnostic sometime soon. Although I do think BMW should be the one AFTER owners with affected cars or at least provide a list of the vins affected.
I’m with ya. Kind of shocking how little communication there’s been here. I never received anything in the mail, nothing pops up in my app for recall check, etc. All I got was a call from my SA one day to schedule the recall appointment.

As I seem to be the first one on the forums dealing with it (or at least documenting and posting about it), I’ll continue to relay the info I receive.

Hoping to hear more early this week.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #931
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m with ya. Kind of shocking how little communication there’s been here. I never received anything in the mail, nothing pops up in my app for recall check, etc. All I got was a call from my SA one day to schedule the recall appointment.

As I seem to be the first one on the forums dealing with it (or at least documenting and posting about it), I’ll continue to relay the info I receive.

Exactly zero info from BMW. I actually just checked my recall on the app. “No recalls” lol go figure.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 03:59 PM   #932
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Quote:

Glad to hear that BMW is being responsive to you at least, nothing worse than getting stonewalled.

I am curious, were there any symptoms at all regarding the bad bearing? Knocking sounds or anything else?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:00 PM   #933
uncboysetsfire
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Glad to hear that BMW is being responsive to you at least, nothing worse than getting stonewalled.

I am curious, were there any symptoms at all regarding the bad bearing? Knocking sounds or anything else?
Mine is an X3M but that forum has no talk about it plus being the same engine I have been following. I had no symptoms, no noise, nothing. Nothing has ever shown up on BMWUSA but the UK and the tool from the guy on the forum showed the codes impacting my VIN.

Mine has been in since 12/16 and I assumed that I would be getting an engine replacement after Knighted found out about his. I am being told that mine does not warrant a full engine replacement but rather replacing some of the bearing shells. Wasn’t given specifics or great details. I did notice they put 4 miles on it today so I hope it’s working ok. I am not going to worry about it as there isn’t much I can do. Probably won’t keep the car beyond warranty and hope the hit isn’t too bad when I go to trade. I live in NC but purchased in Ohio so was checking out some of the Lemon laws there. Noticed Ohio mentions 30 days out of commission vs 20 in NC but I think my preference is to have BMW extend my warranty to the fullest available but that probably won’t happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 08:11 AM   #934
Wh4rfR4t
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncboysetsfire View Post
Mine is an X3M but that forum has no talk about it plus being the same engine I have been following. I had no symptoms, no noise, nothing. Nothing has ever shown up on BMWUSA but the UK and the tool from the guy on the forum showed the codes impacting my VIN.

Mine has been in since 12/16 and I assumed that I would be getting an engine replacement after Knighted found out about his. I am being told that mine does not warrant a full engine replacement but rather replacing some of the bearing shells. Wasn’t given specifics or great details. I did notice they put 4 miles on it today so I hope it’s working ok. I am not going to worry about it as there isn’t much I can do. Probably won’t keep the car beyond warranty and hope the hit isn’t too bad when I go to trade. I live in NC but purchased in Ohio so was checking out some of the Lemon laws there. Noticed Ohio mentions 30 days out of commission vs 20 in NC but I think my preference is to have BMW extend my warranty to the fullest available but that probably won’t happen.

Thank you for sharing your experience. The more information we can gather the better we can understand our individual situation. Do you happen to know what build week your X3M was if your order it?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 08:25 AM   #935
uncboysetsfire
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. The more information we can gather the better we can understand our individual situation. Do you happen to know what build week your X3M was if your order it?
I didn’t build it. I drove from NC to OH to pick up on that was in stock but I recall putting the VIN in a tool that showed a date in the middle of the range.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #936
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post

No noticeable symptoms on my end. Car drives (drove) like a peach!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #937
Wh4rfR4t
Private
Rep

Quote:
No noticeable symptoms on my end. Car drives (drove) like a peach!
Same on my end, car runs great and pulls strong. This is one of the most frustrating parts of this whole recall!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:08 PM   #938
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same on my end, car runs great and pulls strong. This is one of the most frustrating parts of this whole recall!
Agreed. Definitely frustrating. I'm usually a hot head in situations such as this, but I've realized there is absolutely no benefit to going nuclear right now. Today is day 13 of my car being at the dealer. They're communicating with me and keeping me apprised of the situation.

I've told everyone from the outset...my biggest thing here is communication. Do not leave me in the dark or it will be problematic. Just give it to me straight regardless of how bad it is. My SA learned that I meant that very early on in the process here.

I hope to have some more solid information in the early/middle part of the week.

I suspect since I'm likely one of the first having this repaired/replaced, BMW wants to ensure it goes smoothly. If this goes off the rails, and there's hundreds or thousands of cars waiting behind me for the same fix...not good.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #939
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The latest (as of 1/10/22):

I sent a confirmatory email on 1/9/22 rehashing the various phone conversations I had over the past week. The rep from corporate called me first thing yesterday confirming the engine is on order, but there is no ETA. She stated the dealer has more insight into actual delivery.

I advised her that the SM from the dealer was estimating 1/16/22 or 1/17/22 for the engine. She stated she would get in contact with the dealer and call me back.

20 minutes later she calls back and advises she spoke to the SM who stated his "best guestimate" is 1/16/22 or 1/17/22 but there is no ETA and they won't know until it ships (or possibly even winds up at the dealer).

I don't anticipate having many answers until 1/17/22 comes and goes. I have no faith that my engine will be at the dealer by 1/17/22. Under the best of circumstances, forgetting supply chain issues and covid, it could've been possible, but I don't see that happening now.

I'll continue to wait, document my saga, and see what ultimately happens.

There's always the possibility of going down the lemon route, but in reality, I love the car. I don't want to force a buy back. If I do go the lemon route, I'd prefer if I could get an immediate (or relatively quick) replacement rather than a buy back since then I'm stuck back out in the cold bitter car market. Ultimately I just want my car back.

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 01-11-2022 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #940
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update.

So my question. Where is this coming from? Germany? How is coming boat? Air?
Because to give you a 1/16-17 Estimate arrival but no ETA seems weird. Idk
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #941
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

So my question. Where is this coming from? Germany? How is coming boat? Air?
Because to give you a 1/16-17 Estimate arrival but no ETA seems weird. Idk
Engine is coming from Germany. When I first spoke to the SM and SA at the dealer, they thought it would come by air since the engine won't have any hazardous materials/liquids inside. They said they weren't sure, but they thought/hoped it would come by air.

As an update, my SA texted me earlier. The parts manager of the dealer informed him today that the ETA for the engine is end of next week.

I'm not expecting it to happen, but will obviously love if it winds up there when they say it will!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 03:08 PM   #942
Larryatl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 m40i

Quote:
Engine is coming from Germany. When I first spoke to the SM and SA at the dealer, they thought it would come by air since the engine won't have any hazardous materials/liquids inside. They said they weren't sure, but they thought/hoped it would come by air.

As an update, my SA texted me earlier. The parts manager of the dealer informed him today that the ETA for the engine is end of next week.

I'm not expecting it to happen, but will obviously love if it winds up there when they say it will!
Might be easier for you to ask for them to buy the car with a trade assist or something if you guys are concerned with the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #943
PNWJeff
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

Quote:
Its been a month or so since I last posted on this forum. My 2022 X3MC was finally cleared of its main bearing shell recall and I was able to pick the rig up on 12/27. BMW Corp's communication through the whole process was garbage as was the dealer I bought from. I don't know the specific repairs that were done, but I do know it took BMW 21 days from parts ordering to repair completion. In my case it took calling BMW Genius and escalating an issue to get an answer. That was effective and I highly recommend it. Document your situation and share it with your case manager (BMW Genius will call your dealer and speak to the heads of the depts impacted and will get an answer for you) when they call you to address the situation. As a few folks have already said, all the communication I got from the CA was reactive, not proactive. The X3MC drive is incredible. All told, it was at the dealer for 70 days before I could pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #944
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWJeff View Post
Its been a month or so since I last posted on this forum. My 2022 X3MC was finally cleared of its main bearing shell recall and I was able to pick the rig up on 12/27. BMW Corp's communication through the whole process was garbage as was the dealer I bought from. I don't know the specific repairs that were done, but I do know it took BMW 21 days from parts ordering to repair completion. In my case it took calling BMW Genius and escalating an issue to get an answer. That was effective and I highly recommend it. Document your situation and share it with your case manager (BMW Genius will call your dealer and speak to the heads of the depts impacted and will get an answer for you) when they call you to address the situation. As a few folks have already said, all the communication I got from the CA was reactive, not proactive. The X3MC drive is incredible. All told, it was at the dealer for 70 days before I could pick it up.
Interesting. Your car was at the dealer for 70 days and you don’t know what the fix was? You don’t know what they did to your car? Man. I want to know everything that’s being done to mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:34 PM   #945
Wh4rfR4t
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Your car was at the dealer for 70 days and you don’t know what the fix was? You don’t know what they did to your car? Man. I want to know everything that’s being done to mine.
This is why I scheduled my recall with the service manager and not a random service advisor. When I drop the car off we will have a nice discussion about keeping me informed through the whole process.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 12:11 PM   #946
PNWJeff
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

Quote:
That's right. It was on a main bearing shell recall and they repaired it. There was no engine replacement. However, you make a fair point. I'm going to request that exact detail.
Appreciate 0