BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

01-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #903
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks23 View Post
I would think your case is pretty high priority...maybe an engine is moving for you already!
I just spoke to the service manager. He said the recall procedure is very specific, which they've been following. Now that the car needs a motor, a ticket is created and sent up (which has already been done).

He said, under normal circumstances, he'd expect a few weeks, but obviously can't speak to what goes on in Germany and what the current climate is. I was asking a ton of questions, but he was really just speculating.

He said they'll continue to keep me apprised, but right now, there's nothing to do. While I wait, I'll be spending my time dealing with BMWNA to see how they plan to make it right.

I'd agree, a motor in an M car that needs to be replaced due to faulty BMW parts and not due to improper use/tuning/etc, of the buyer is likely high priority. But then again, what do I know?

He did confirm my car will be sitting in the shop, not outside.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #904
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
I just spoke to the service manager. He said the recall procedure is very specific, which they've been following. Now that the car needs a motor, a ticket is created and sent up (which has already been done).

He said, under normal circumstances, he'd expect a few weeks, but obviously can't speak to what goes on in Germany and what the current climate is. I was asking a ton of questions, but he was really just speculating.

He said they'll continue to keep me apprised, but right now, there's nothing to do. While I wait, I'll be spending my time dealing with BMWNA to see how they plan to make it right.

I'd agree, a motor in an M car that needs to be replaced due to faulty BMW parts and not due to improper use/tuning/etc, of the buyer is likely high priority. But then again, what do I know?

He did confirm my car will be sitting in the shop, not outside.

What kind of loaner do you have now?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #905
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks23 View Post
What kind of loaner do you have now?
A 530 with about 400 miles on it. Glad I pushed to get out of the 330 that had 10k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 07:44 PM   #906
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Today's afternoon update:

TSE confirms engine replacement needed. Here we go.

For those of you who are in (or may be in) my situation, I'd suggest you contact your SAs asap.

(Yes, I am serious).

I wonder if they could push through a new order for you although with the supply chain issues/chip shortages that may not be any better. Very sorry that you and others are going through this.

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 07:59 PM   #907
Wh4rfR4t
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp AWD Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
Today's afternoon update:

TSE confirms engine replacement needed. Here we go.

For those of you who are in (or may be in) my situation, I'd suggest you contact your SAs asap.

(Yes, I am serious).

This makes me super excited for my appointment on the 31st. Just curious what build week was your vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 08:05 PM   #908
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh4rfR4t View Post
This makes me super excited for my appointment on the 31st. Just curious what build week was your vehicle?
Build week 31.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 08:08 PM   #909
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 410 View Post
I wonder if they could push through a new order for you although with the supply chain issues/chip shortages that may not be any better. Very sorry that you and others are going through this.
Don’t think it would really be beneficial. I honestly just want my car back.
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      01-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #910
M3fanNJ
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh4rfR4t View Post
How did you get contacted to bring in your car for the recall? Did you have to proactively ask them whether you were affected or did BMW tell you to bring your car back to get the engine checked?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 07:40 AM   #911
Wh4rfR4t
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3fanNJ View Post
How did you get contacted to bring in your car for the recall? Did you have to proactively ask them whether you were affected or did BMW tell you to bring your car back to get the engine checked?
I used the recall tool found on bimmerpost which is way more accurate than the BMW website to see if I was affected. When I found out I was affected I contacted the Service department manager to discuss and confirm. No one ever contacted me so I was proactive about it myself.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #912
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3fanNJ View Post
And not that you directed your question to me, but my SA called me to advise me and set the appt (even though I knew about it well in advance due to being here).
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #913
Wh4rfR4t
Private
Rep

Quote:
Build week 31.
I am either week 34/35, took delivery the first week of October. That would be almost a month difference between builds.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:47 PM   #914
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today’s update:

The dealer should have an ETA on the engine tomorrow.

What nobody seems to be able to answer for me is whether the engine comes by air or sea. The dealer "thinks" it should come air freight since there won't be any hazardous materials inside, but not confirmed. Hope to know more tomorrow.
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2022, 02:00 PM   #915
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Todays update:

Received a call from BMWNA Corporate Office. Have direct contact info for my case rep. She stated she doesn’t have any answers yet, but everyone who needs to be involved in this from BMW, is involved. We discussed BMW picking up the lease payments while my car is down.

She wanted to confirm I had a loaner.

No update from my dealer as to the ETA on the engine that they told me I’d have yesterday.

She said she’d get in contact with me next week.
Appreciate 1
gohawks23426.00
      01-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #916
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Good to hear they are on top of things.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:56 PM   #917
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Good to hear they are on top of things.
Definitely could tell this lady isn’t some low level employee. I fully believe this is as escalated as I can get. We’ll see.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 04:14 PM   #918
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Definitely could tell this lady isn’t some low level employee. I fully believe this is as escalated as I can get. We’ll see.
Good stuff….thanks for keeping us informed.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #919
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today’s update:

Got a call from the service manager of the dealership. The engine order is in process. He doesn’t have an ETA, but “is thinking” they should have it around the 17th. I said “of January?” which he confirmed. I think this is extremely optimistic, but let’s see.

He said he’ll update me once he has shipping confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:18 PM   #920
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Today’s update:

Got a call from the service manager of the dealership. The engine order is in process. He doesn’t have an ETA, but “is thinking” they should have it around the 17th. I said “of January?” which he confirmed. I think this is extremely optimistic, but let’s see.

He said he’ll update me once he has shipping confirmation.
First off, very sorry you're going through this, and I appreciate that you're keeping everyone in the loop!

Not to rub salt in your wounds, but I'm curious - given how long your car will be out of service, and the major surgery it's undergoing, why not just lemon-law it (I'm assuming you're in a state where the inevitable down-time here could force a buy-back, of course) and put the whole situation behind you?

It's ironic. That first Friday when this issue cropped up on this forum, everyone was in a panic. Then everyone calmed down. Then we heard unsubstantiated information from various third-hand sources about how the fix wouldn't be so bad at all (about which most of us, who understand engine-building, were in a bit of disbelief). And now at least for you and your car, you're living the panic scenario that everyone feared in the first place - weeks (or more) of downtime, full engine replacement, and a lack of clear expectations set by BMW.

Overall, I hope that in the end, YOU get whatever result will make YOU satisfied, because my sense is that for everyone who goes through this, each person will have their own priorities as to what would be a good result in the end...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:46 PM   #921
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
First off, very sorry you're going through this, and I appreciate that you're keeping everyone in the loop!

Not to rub salt in your wounds, but I'm curious - given how long your car will be out of service, and the major surgery it's undergoing, why not just lemon-law it (I'm assuming you're in a state where the inevitable down-time here could force a buy-back, of course) and put the whole situation behind you?

It's ironic. That first Friday when this issue cropped up on this forum, everyone was in a panic. Then everyone calmed down. Then we heard unsubstantiated information from various third-hand sources about how the fix wouldn't be so bad at all (about which most of us, who understand engine-building, were in a bit of disbelief). And now at least for you and your car, you're living the panic scenario that everyone feared in the first place - weeks (or more) of downtime, full engine replacement, and a lack of clear expectations set by BMW.

Overall, I hope that in the end, YOU get whatever result will make YOU satisfied, because my sense is that for everyone who goes through this, each person will have their own priorities as to what would be a good result in the end...
My understanding of the lemon law is repeated and reoccurring issues for the same or similar problem; stated otherwise the same issue coming up over and over again. I don’t think this qualifies under lemon law. This is a recall with a fix. If you or anyone else knows otherwise, let me know.

I agree, this started out as panic by many on the board. I was one of the few that said we should wait to hear from BMW. Well, we (or at least I) now have. Assuming I get my car back in a month with a new fix and some compensation from BMW, I’ll keep moving on with my life. If I’m driving their loaner for the foreseeable future and I’m not getting any solid responses from BMW, I’ll go in another direction.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:13 PM   #922
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

KnightedBMW Thanks for all of the information, it’s very much appreciated.

I’m taking my car in for break-in service on 1/17, dreading it just a little bit now.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:29 PM   #923
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
My understanding of the lemon law is repeated and reoccurring issues for the same or similar problem; stated otherwise the same issue coming up over and over again. I don’t think this qualifies under lemon law. This is a recall with a fix. If you or anyone else knows otherwise, let me know.

I agree, this started out as panic by many on the board. I was one of the few that said we should wait to hear from BMW. Well, we (or at least I) now have. Assuming I get my car back in a month with a new fix and some compensation from BMW, I’ll keep moving on with my life. If I’m driving their loaner for the foreseeable future and I’m not getting any solid responses from BMW, I’ll go in another direction.
You seem to be keeping a calm, level head about this whole thing. Very commendable. Not sure I could stay that calm (or if you're keeping it cool here in public, and ranting around your house )

My very vague, high-level understanding of so-called lemon laws is that they are state laws, and vary widely. If I were in your shoes, I would probably poke around online to conduct some basic research as to the lemon law that applies in your state (you may be able to find info on your state's AG's office website, for example), and I would suggest (if you're so inclined) trying to consult with a knowledgeable, local lemon law attorney about your situation. At least in certain states, I believe that a new vehicle with a defect that causes the vehicle to be out of service, at a dealer, waiting for repair, for a certain consecutive period and/or for a certain number of days total, within the first X miles and/or a certain initial time period, can qualify as a lemon. People commonly think about the X-or-more-dealer-service-visits for the same issue, without resolution, lemons. But in some states, prolonged down time can also make a lemon. So in certain cases and certain states, if, for example, your car is within the first year/12,000 miles, and sits at the dealer for this engine defect for 30 or more days within that year/12,000 miles, then you could perhaps have a lemon. (I have no idea whether a formal recall somehow allows manufacturers to skirt lemon laws...)

Of course I'm not a lemon law lawyer, so I won't pretend to provide any advice on this - but I once had an almost-lemon, that magically got fixed a few days before the cutoff...funny how the dealer service department, regional engineer, and others got a lot more motivated as the state-law deadline approached.

If I had a $70-100k brand new car sitting at the dealer for a month or more within a few months of taking ownership, waiting on a new engine, I'd probably be trying to contact a local lemon law lawyer where I live, just to know and understand my options (even if in the end, you would prefer to just wait it out, drive a loaner, and get your car back, plus hopefully some manufacturer concessions).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:30 PM   #924
Wh4rfR4t
Private
Rep

I am very surprised we have not heard anyone else chime in with their experience regarding this situation. I can not imagine Knight and myself (Jan 31st) are the only one to schedule this recall. I will keep everyone updated on my experience when my car goes in at the end of this month. If your car has gone in for this recall please speak up and let us know your outcome!
Appreciate 0